Heartbreaking Bootleg Story and a Silver Lining?

dcarden4

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thought if anyone could speak to this, it'd be this forum.
Recently, I found someone on Facebook Marketplace selling original Japanese Digimon Adventure 1999 Digivolving Metalgreymon and Angemon. figures! I was psyched, and although they were priced above 100$, it was totally worth it because they were STILL IN BOX! I did some quick searching on google to check if there were any knockoffs, but I yielded no results of fakes with similar boxes - all the knockoffs were of American boxes with Japanese text. I felt pretty safe to go pick them up.

The man who sold them was so sweet. He was a collector who owned a local art store, and he said he had got them from one of the big comic shops in Toronto about 20 years ago. He even knocked the price down 20 bucks since I was buying both. It's been about a month that I've had them, and I very quickly opened to check their condition, and I had no doubt in their authenticity.

Until two days ago. A local was selling a D-3 Digivice, and based on the value of Metalgreymon nowadays it felt like a fair trade. I sent him some pictures, and he responded:
"Hey man, I think you might have a bootleg. Look, there's no Bandai logo, or Toei sticker"

I immediately apologized and thanked him for noticing. They're KOs, and really good ones at that. I even posted on the Digimon Subreddit and after 100 upvotes not a single person noticed. Unfortunately, now I won't be getting a D-3 Digivice in a trade, or able to sell these down the road... but...

Now I can open them without feeling guilty!

And the boxes look great on my shelves beside my D-Real, Digivolving and Figure-rise figures. I don't hold a grudge against the guy who sold them, as I feel almost certain that he had no idea they were KOs. Plus in some ways, the price I paid was almost justified for in box, complete, great condition, and good quality KOs of some of the rarest figures.

How would you feel if this happened to you? How do you feel in general about bootlegs of older Digimon toys?

PuddingSqueaks

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That's just messed up
although there's a big chance your seller didn't knew it himself

are you sure there were no editions with those logo signs in? Pics?

dcarden4

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That's just messed up
although there's a big chance your seller didn't knew it himself

are you sure there were no editions with those logo signs in? Pics?

Yeah, I have a feeling he had no clue! Poor guy, held onto them for years and sold them thinking they were the real things. He was even visibly sad to see them go.

Here's a photo of it: https://i.imgur.com/KByxm8w.jpg

Unfortunately, I'm almost positive it's a KO. Metalgreymon is actually a very sturdy and well-done repro, but the Patamon was pretty sloppy when I opened it up. Bandai always had the license and it would be too weird for them to omit their logo

PuddingSqueaks

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Really sorry man, I can't blame you for falling for it, it's impressive for a knockoff...

Keep an eye eh? It can be scary to buy used stuff from this time, I can tell.