Happy New Year 2020! State of the Site and Digimon

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Happy 2020! Time for another "what's going on" New Year's article.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

The back-end of the site has worked reasonably smoothly this year, and we had another year with no huge issues, despite a ton of posts and users surfing the site (the only real user facing issue this year was when a security certificate didn't autorenew, and then the manual renewal didn't apply to the site correctly, leading to a bit of downtime a week or so ago.) We hit the highest number of concurrent users on the site we've ever had with 1,418 in 2020 (the exact day of the 20th Anniversary of the show hitting the US).

2019 was an anniversary year for the show, with a big holding pattern with the movie being in 2020, but still quite a bit happening! This isn't everything, but a few notable things...
Appmon streamed in the US.
We got Cyber Sleuth Complete Edition on Switch and PC.
The Digimon X and X2 came with a third on the way.
The US got it's first V-Pet release in a 'very' long time with the 20th Anniversary V-pet release.
Links ended, but was replaced with ReArise.
A bunch of events and shops for the 20th Anniversary of Adventure.
A series of animated shorts were announced. One has limited distribution right now, with more to come.
We got a decent amount of into for Survive.
We got a lot of news for Last Evolution Kizuna, especially in the second half of the year.
And of course... on top of those the news just piled on constantly. (I'm sure there is enough things that I forgot to list something that you found notable.)

The amount of products we got in 2019 overall, was still quite high, which is kind of wild when you consider Digimon is basically sitting still waiting for the movie in 2020.

There was a lot of great stuff in 2019, but it's worth mentioning a number of notable people who passed in 2019, especially heavy on the English side this year:
Michael Lindsay, the original voice of Joe and Greymon (and the voice of Agumon for a few episodes)
Robert Axelrod, the voice of Armadillomon and Wizardmon.
Joseph Pilato, the original voice of MetalGreymon.
Nigel Dobbyn, who worked on some of the old Dark Horse released Digimon comics.

In addition, Wiz, the company that created Digimon formally closed this year. While the decision was made years ago, and little has changed (what was left of Wiz was swallowed into plex, it was still a bit of a surprise.)

2020 has a lot to look forward to for Digimon fans. A bunch of big things have already been announced, with a few things already dated for the second half of 2019, not to mention a number of big things coming...
Last Evolution Kizuna is coming out in February in Japan.
A US release was announced for spring, with releases elsewhere hinted at and/or announced.
The Digital Monster X3 will be released.
Digimon Survive will be coming out.
We are getting a livestream early in the year that will hopefully announce other stuff.
And as mentioned above, tons of other figures and products! (I'm looking forward to the ULForceV-dramon figure myself.)
(And again... I'm sure there is enough things that I forgot to list something that you found especially notable.)

As for various site bits...

First up, the negative.

It's been a busy year for the site and things that should have gotten done long ago simply weren't. Overall that's really been the only negative this year.

Then the positives.

Things simply ran well at the site this year, and overall, people seemed to feel positive about things.

The Discord has gotten even larger with lots of people chatting and popping in and out as their schedule allows.

Our podcast has gotten a larger audience, and the general flow of episodes feels good. Our first episode of 2020 will be in a few weeks most likely.

The Patreon has stayed reasonably stable in 2019 and supports the site on an ongoing basis for server bills, and a few other things. Hopefully it will grow a bit in 2020 allowing us to expand product coverage, and possibly even do various server upgrades.

The biggest thing coming for the site is still in the midst of being finalized.

Doing a rough skim of news, breakdowns, reviews, etc. it appears 2019 had a bit less news than 2018 (around 10 or 15% less it appears.) When you consider 2019 was effectively a slow year, that's relatively impressive (2018 itself was in a holding pattern for half the year, but had about the same amount of news as 2017, when tri. was going full bore, Appmon was still running, and it was the 20th of the brand itself.) There has been a lot of Digimon stuff to keep up with.

As for breakdowns/reviews... in 2018 (by my count) we had 28, and in 2018 we had 19 (far less smaller releases that we might have archived.) These involved, to differing degrees: scanning, screencapping, editing, rewatching things to write up insights and thoughts, photography, and so forth.

These aren't in chronological order, just ordered in a somewhat clean fashion (although it feels like I might have missed one or two while looking for them...)

Digimon Frontier BD-Box! Scans, Screencaps, & Discussion! & Audio Drama Translation!
Digimon the Movie DVD- Breakdown, Scans, Screencaps! Digimon Day Special!
Digimon the Movie Promotional Slides! Scans of Posters and a Still!
Taichi & Sora (DigiFes 2019 CD) Scans and Product Breakdown
Digimon Card Premium Edition Sets- Scans & Breakdown

Digivolving Spirits 07 HolyAngemon- Breakdown, Scans, and Photos
Digivolving Spirits 08 BlackWarGreymon- Breakdown, Scans, and Photos
Precious GEM Angewomon Holy Arrow Version- Breakdown and Photos
Precious GEM Omegamon- Breakdown and Photos
Digimon Reboot Omegamon Model Kit
Digivolving Duskmon Figure- Photos & Info

Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth: Complete Edition for Switch & PC! Review & Breakdown!
DigiFes 2019 Booklet Scans & Translated Interview
Digimon Savers 2006 Mini Calendar- Scans
US Digimon 20th Anniversary V-Pet Digivice Breakdown- Scans, Photos, & Info
Digimon Figural Keyrings, Review and Images

UK Digimon Season 1 DVD Collection- Scans, Breakdown, and Overview
UK Digimon Season 2 DVD Collection- Scans & Breakdown
UK Digimon File (Personal Organizer) from Funfax- Breakdown & Scans

And while these aren't breakdowns, these are some of the more informative and/or interesting articles and things we've done over the past year... (A number of the breakdowns above would be down here if they weren't up there.)

Bandai started off the year with their Digimon New Year's Play Images. It featured characters from 'every' Digimon anime.

I was at Anime Expo, and we had coverage and photos of everything Digimon at the convention.

There was a lot of news regarding the Hatsune Miku x Digimon Adventure collaboration but the high point was likely when we got solid info, including Miku's version of Butter-Fly and more art!

Translated Multi-Part Interview with Producer Yousuke Kinoshita about Kizuna & Shorts

Translation of Digimon Designers’ Special Talk from Pendulum Art Book

Translation of Digimon Pendulum Developers' Interview from Pendulum Art Book

Farewell Message from Producer Seki Hiromi to Toshiko Fujita

Seki Hiromi and Yosuke Kinoshita Interviews about Adventure 20th film from V-Jump Web & Otomedia+

Translated Interview Details with Yu Yuen-wong, Creator of various Digimon Manhua

Adventure Hikarigaoka Station Display Renovated

Adventure 20th Anniversary Event at Tower Records Cafe Opens, Photos

Adventure 20th Events Open at Yokohama Landmark Tower & Karatez Karaoke Today, Photos

Frontier Artwork, also included at the bottom is a list of links to a bunch of early and production art they showed off in the leadup to the Frontier BD-Box.

Frontier Behind the Scenes Details

Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru Interview from V-Jump Translated

Translated Interview- Kenji Watanabe Interviewed by Producer Habu

Photos & Videos from the Digimon Adventure 20th Tour

Digimon Next Behind the Scenes Details & Art from artist Takeshi Okano

With a new movie coming up, we brought back our weekly leadup series. Each week a new anime or movie is featured to watch in the leadup to Last Evolution Kizuna. Some weeks are me recommending content, and we've also had a few different guests. The link is to the most recent week, which also includes an index of prior weeks.

You can help us continue to do these by joining our Patreon or donating. There are some real fun things coming up (not to mention the eternal hope of numbers being good enough we can go over legacy content also) that we need donations for.

In addition, there are a lot of people to thank, in no particular order... (and not dissimilar to prior lists)

Vande- Vande does a lot of the moderating.
onkei- In the last year onkei has 'really' done far more on the site than she ever has before to help with translations (I'd wager she's done more at WtW in the last year than she's done in the last decade, and she wasn't a slouch in the decade...)
Lost- Running the tech behind the scenes.
theigno- Helps cover the livestreams, along with moderation, and suggestions for the site.
Shin and Garm- Neither of them translate as much as they used to due to time, but both are still around helping as they can.
AR and May- Podcast wouldn't be the same without either of them, moreso when we don't agree.
Materials providers- A number of people provided images and information for articles, and especially for a number of breakdown articles, which couldn't have been done without their help.
The mod staff- Having multiple people to keep an eye on things helps things run generally smoothly.
Patreon members and donators- You guys help with the costs of running the place and help to make sure we're able to get ahold of a lot of the stuff we break down, and have made running the place easier and significantly more stress free.

I'm sure I've missed someone, and if I have, thanks to you also.

My 2019 was mostly pretty good, finishing off an overall bleh decade reasonably well. Here's to a better 2020, and the decade, for all of us.

Hopefully we can all make 2020 better for anyone and everyone.

2019 wasn't a slow year for Digimon, even though overall it felt like we spent most of the year waiting for big things we are getting in 2020 (or in the case of subbed Appmon, sprung upon us with minimal warning), and it was still just utterly packed with news and stuff. While we get 2 big things next year with Last Evolution Kizuna and Survive, it feels like it might be close to time for a new show hopefully.

How was 2019 for everyone? Looking forward to 2020? Any suggestions for the site, etc? What Digimon stuff did you enjoy from the prior year?

The image I used near the top was drawn by Kenji Watanabe and was (based on information he tweeted a bit ago) printed in Animage.

A few different people sent it in, but no one seems to be sure where the original photo came from. The version at the top of the page I did various tweaks to make it look a bit better than it was in the photo (hopefully we get a nice scan.)

The original photo is right here...

Image Thumbnail (custom)

Great New Year's image by Kenji Watanabe.

In case you missed it, there were end of the year images from the Bandai Digimon Twitter.

Update- Kenji Watanabe posted another to his Twitter.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

While a bit late... Happy New Year!

I'll do my best this year... I also drew characters that aren't my own (^^;;

Update- A New Year's image and message from the Bandai Digimon Twitter.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

Happy New Year 2020. This year is the year of the rat. New Year's greetings from Tyumon and Tyutyumon. We wish you well in 2020 and thank you.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Added another piece of art from Kenji Watanabe.

SnowAgumonGemini

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I love these goody doodles that get shared. They really add a fun and whimsical side to the franchise.
Is that an altered Patamon design above Pikachu (or is it another character that I’m unfamiliar with)? Either way I really like it’s aesthetic with the pilot helmet and goggles. Lol Agumon seems to be enjoying riding around on that cheese and wine Dino.
Those Cutemon/Hamtaro-looking rats are adorable. We need more cute mice Digimon (Ciel and Tutomon need pals lol) 🐭

Last edited:

flintlock

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I love these goody doodles that get shared. They really add a fun and whimsical side to the franchise.
Is that an altered Patamon design above Pikachu (or is it another character that I’m unfamiliar with)? Either way I really like it’s aesthetic with the pilot helmet and goggles. Lol Agumon seems to be enjoying riding around on that cheese and wine Dino.
Those Cutemon/Hamtaro-looking rats are adorable. We need more cute mice Digimon (Ciel and Tutomon need pals lol) 🐭
It's supposed to be like the thing from Legendz, like the thing that looks like Agumon (obviously, but it isnt actually him.) Kenji draws a lot of "not Digimon" and "not Legendz" things on his Twitter. I dont know what else to call them.

https://www.google.com/search?q=legendz+&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwic7tDc6eXmAhXjma0KHYEZACYQ2-cCegQIABAB&oq=legendz+&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-img.3..41l4j0l5.6644.8099..8460...0.0..0.159.1329.0j10......0....1.........0i24j0i30j0i5i30j0i8i30.cJ8HR8OoiJ4&ei=BFwOXpzcIOOztgWBs4CwAg&bih=520&biw=360&client=ms-android-bell-ca&prmd=imsvn#imgrc=9_lR5QQFLIKPmM

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I do enjoy these pictures. Now for another new year for both the site and the series.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Added New Year's art and a message from the Bandai Digimon Twitter.

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Chuumon and ChuuChuumon for the year of the mouse. shame Sukamon doesn't get to join Damemon. I wonder if they'll have Kumbhiramon show up in ReArise like they did Vikaralamon to celebrate the year of the pig. Would be another 3D model for future games which would be nice.