Guilty Crown Review at Fanboy Review

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Traditionally we've kept WtW and FBR rather separate, but because of some confusion (more than a few people didn't seem to know what FBR was when it was mentioned in a recent site discussion) I thought I'd link to the newest review at FBR just so you guys can take a look.

http://www.fanboyreview.net/2013/08/17/guilty-crown-blu-ray-early-review/

I don't plan to normally link to new reviews there, but if you guys are interested, perhaps a thread can be made somewhere to keep you guys updated.

Thoughts?

Py687

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh, Guilty Crown.... I came into this series with expectations (quite a few bad ones, mind you, having read other people's complaints about it). Outside of the cliches, this show had potential. But potential not reached is potential wasted. I remember reading a comment wondering why the show didn't end at 12/13 episode. I lol'd at the time, but more and more I'm wondering if that wouldn't have been a bad idea.

EGOIST and supercell's music didn't disappoint, though I hated how they only had Inori sing one song throughout the series. I'm not asking for an album's worth, but you'd think the viewers would like to hear something other than Euterpe seven-plus times throughout the show.

I agree, many of the characters didn't lend themselves to being likable. And I couldn't see anything admirable about Inori at all, even till the end. As for Shu's character development:
the show wasted the "school ruler" arc and instead gave him a deus ex machina-like moment of epiphany/maturation. The twist leading to his betrayal is unexpected (up to a point) and interesting, but it somehow just made me more pissed at him than before. And of course he didn't get a second chance, since everyone dies.

It was an experience I didn't regret having, but if I recommend it to anyone it'll always come with the words, "Give it a shot if you must."

Thanks for the review, Marc; reading an article not condemning Guilty Crown is a change of pace.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
As for Shu's character development:
the show wasted the "school ruler" arc and instead gave him a deus ex machina-like moment of epiphany/maturation.
It's worth mentioning that Shu doesn't actually TELL anyone about this though, so no one is actually aware of it, and then with the events that happen right after render it moot
with him coming to an actual proper moment of epiphany and maturity after Inori is taken, and he gets the third and last Void Genome.

I think one reason I'm willing to forgive flaws with the show, is everyone acts like you might imagine teenagers in the situation might act. No one ends up perfect, and everyone ends up dirty. There is no crystallizing moment that you so often get in fiction where things just click and everything just 'works'. More often than not things in the show aren't working correctly, and it allowed me to, not ignore, but perhaps see the show a bit more positively than others might have.

Of course, I don't bring up certain things in my review to avoid rambling- Like the power of the Genome inherently allows Shu to see what represents people at their core, to literally see their hearts, which allows him to have faith and knowledge of those close to him, but he almost entirely disbelieves in himself while everyone who doesn't have the Genome deeply believe in him, regardless of his power. The fact he
seems to finally believe in himself when he decides to pull out his own Void towards the end seems both fitting and sad, because for all the importance of Voids in the second half, it never occurred to him to pull his up until his point, because he always only saw himself as important because of his power, and not because of who he was.