MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
booster5guilmon_january19_2021.jpg
booster5blackgrowmon_january19_2021.jpg

The Digimon Card Game Twitter has updated with card previews from Booster Set 5 Battle of Omega. This time we get Guilmon and BlackGrowmon!

Guilmon is in a nice detailed art style with him standing on a familiar looking traffic sign with clouds above him while BlackGrowmon is in the middle of the city wrecking things up while being egged on by Impmon, with a bright red moon behin dhim.

Digimon Card Game Booster Set 5 Battle of Omega is scheduled to release on February 26th.

Previous card previews for Booster Set 5:

We have clean card images for Booster Set 4 Great Legend.

We also have begun to get details about Booster Set 5 Battle of Omega, including our first look at art via DigiNavi!

And images from previous Digimon Card Game releases:
Starter Decks 1, 2, and 3, and first 10 promo cards
Booster Set 1 New Evolution
Booster Set 2 Ultimate Power
V-Tamer Promo Cards
Purple/Black Promo Set
Tamer Battle Pack 1 and Tamer Battle Winner's Card
Booster Set 3 Union Impact
Starter Decks 4, 5, & 6, plus Tamer Battle Pack 2 & winner's Card 2, & 1st 2 scene vote cards

Attachments

• article.jpg
    article.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 7,636

Muur

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Seems like it would've been a good time to bring back BlackGuilmon since he's only appeared once ever.

At least BlackGrowlmon isn't left out I guess, they left him out in Next Order and ReArise with just BlackWarGrowlmon and ChaosGallantmon used.

Last edited:

Momentai

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Curious decision not to choose Black Guilmon.

It is also curious that even the Black Growmon card seems almost a reference to Digimon Tamers, but it can't be obviously.

Muur

Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Curious decision to not choose Black Guilmon.

It is also curious that even the Black Growmon card seems almost a reference to Digimon Tamers, but it can't be obviously.

The Digimon Tamers digivice gives both Takato's Guilmon and Rika's Renamon their dark lines. But not Terriermon for some reason.

Momentai

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

The Digimon Tamers digivice gives both Takato's Guilmon and Rika's Renamon their dark lines. But not Terriermon for some reason.
Oh, well, I guess it makes sense, then.

Mynor

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Guilmon
[On Deletion] If this card was deleted by an effect, you gain 1 memory

Growlmon
Inherited Effect: [Your Turn] (Once per turn) When another Digimon you own is deleted, this Digimon gains <Security Attack +1> for the turn

I don't like the black Guilmon line

Tarama

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
As expected we'll get BlackGrowmon in BT5 because we'll have Dorbickmon.

But why Guilmon tho, BlackGuilmon also exists.

Sarabande__

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Terriermon is just to cute to be dark lol.

DragonicEmperor

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

I wouldn't really call them dark lines to be honest. While ChaosDukemon kind of is with what it's description implies about it and Megidramon, Kuzuhamon is just what the 'non high level' Taomon/Renamon become while BlackSaintGalgomon is just a type of SaintGalgomon that is specialized in attack enemy territory.

SaintGalgomon X though. Where is it. I've been waiting for ages now.

MechaMadness

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
While it was expected that we'd get some form of the Guilmon family for Dorbickmon and ChaosDukemon, it's still nice to see them here. Seem like pretty decent cards as well. Guilmon kinda screams that they're still afraid of giving Purple an unconditional +1 Memory on Deletion Lv3 to me, but it's still got alot of synergy within the color due to how many self-destruction effects Purple has. BlackGrowlmon on the other hand is very nice for Purple decks who actually want to build up an entire line to Lv6, as it's alot less picky when it comes to how it'll activate. Really glad they had the foresight to make this a OPT effect, since it'd be ridiculously broken considering how easily Purple can blow up their own stuff.

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
BlackGuilmon not having an entry in the Reference Encyclopaedia probably has a hand in why they went with regular Guilmon.

BlackGrowlmon is practically screaming "combo this with WereGarurumon's effect to turn itself Active by Deleting one of your other Digimon". ;)

Tarama

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
No. That's not the reason. Imperialdramon Black made into booster first before getting its Reference Book entry.

HeavyLeomon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Black growlmon is because of chaosdukemon not dorbickmon, i think dorbick is gonna be a red card instead of purple.

Muur

Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
No. That's not the reason. Imperialdramon Black made into booster first before getting its Reference Book entry.

Also Ceresmon and Plutomon, who still aren't in.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It probably has more to do with BlackGuilmon being in the same video-game-only ghetto as stuff like the Bemmon line.

YongYoKyo

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Post-Battle Chronicle, they have since relegated BlackGrowmon and its succeeding evolutions as an evolution path of Guilmon that is faithful to his instinctive wild Virus nature (while the regular line is his evolution path when raised to be obedient to a Tamer).

There is no room for BlackGuilmon. Guilmon is the starting point that branches between the two paths, similar to Dracomon. As such, there is no place for a "dark" Guilmon, because Guilmon is essentially a blank state that is neither "dark" nor "light".

Tortoiseshel

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well I still don't like it. Black Guilmon is cool, and if there's room for the likes of Alraumon, Clear Agumon, and Shamamon, I don't see why we can't have an extra angry, shadowy Guilmon.

Tarama

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah. "There is no room" is not the answer I think. It's Digimon.

YongYoKyo

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah. "There is no room" is not the answer I think. It's Digimon.

Evidently, it's also "Digimon" to retcon BlackGuilmon out of existence after a single spin-off game and never use him again in 16+ years.

I wasn't saying that "there is no room" was the answer. I was saying that the question was "does BlackGuilmon even need to exist?", and the answer that Bandai seems to have chosen over the past 16 years is "no".

They seemingly decided that the Black line for Guilmon is more of a situation of "nurture" instead of "nature" (in contrast to dark counterparts that start out with a different evil nature at Child-level from the beginning), so it doesn't need a separate starting point, and instead share a single starting point that branches off. Lopmon and Meicoomon are in very similar situations with their "dark" lines too.

Last edited:

Mattman324

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
they left him out in Next Order and ReArise

As someone who sustains themselves on salt generated by things like "people complaining about recolors", Next Order in its base version had maybe just a few too many recolors.

I don't like the black Guilmon line

It is a very redundant line, but also, like, most recolors are pretty redundant anyway, and that's including the ones they give completely different evolutions to (looking at you, Lopmon).

Kuzuhamon is just what the 'non high level' Taomon/Renamon become

I mean, sure, in theory, but the fact that it's also an evolution for Doumon, whose name is a pun based on the famous enemy of Abe no Seimei...