Guessing how Appmon will do in the West

DATS24

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What do you think if Appmon eventually being localized into western side? Will it have a chance to be a successful franchise that revives the popularity of Digimon franchise once again? Or it will be otherwise? Or maybe they will accept it not as part of Digimon? How you're predicting it if the localization projects comes true (including the game)?

If we take a sample of franchise that has similar target, Yokai Watch is super popular in Japan. But on the western side, it's kinda like a desolate island. Will Appmon face the similar thing like Yokai Watch? Or even it will face much worse circumstance than Yokai? How ppl in west will accept this franchise which tries to separates itself clearly from the original Digimon?

Feel free to discuss.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Generally speaking, anime is not of interest to the mass market by and large.

For the type of popularity many fans want the franchise to have, it might not be possible in the current market.

As for the 'tries to separates itself' part...

Despite all the press/interview stuff... Appmon isn't as clean a break from Digimon as they discuss in the mostly more otaku centric magazines we've seen interviews in.

I could see it being localized any number of ways based on how Toei and potential partners choose to deal with it...

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That Yokai Watch comparison is an interesting one. But honestly while Yokai Watch is a megahit here in Japan, there's something to be said for just how -Japanese- it is. These are monsters and legends from Japanese folklore being given modern updates, and while that's fascinating to a lot of people, it's pretty alienating for children, who have no way to really connect the show/game with the lore it's based on.

Contrast with Digimon/Applimon, where the basis for the monsters is innately global thanks to the widespread ubiquity of Smart Phones. Honestly I think Applimon has a much better chance of being a hit in the states than it does in Japan, where Yokai Watch has a chokehold on all monster-collecting media. Seriously, even Pokemon has suffered (relatively, it's still a mega-institution here, but I constantly see things like stores having "Pokemon vs Yokai Watch competitions" where Yokai Watch is unquestionably winning).

DATS24

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
But honestly while Yokai Watch is a megahit here in Japan, there's something to be said for just how -Japanese- it is. These are monsters and legends from Japanese folklore being given modern updates, and while that's fascinating to a lot of people, it's pretty alienating for children, who have no way to really connect the show/game with the lore it's based on.
That may be true, but the 3rd game seems more into popularizing western culture and also the game takes place in USA, with some Yokai based on Americanization things like USA-pyon. Also not to mention that they usually do parody about western shows like The X Files and also mentioning Obama many times. Maybe things like that just didn't exist in earlier games. As for Appmon chance being much better, I honestly doubt so. Instead, it has chance to be the vice versa, to be worse than Yokai Watch market.

I mean, if Yokai Watch were usually attacked from the side of western ppl which has been clinging too much on pokemon (or pokemon fanatics themselves) and doesn't want the existence of another pokemon rival, ended insulting Yokai Watch as a Pokemon Rip-off (without even trying them first), Appmon most likely will be attacked from 2 sides, one side was from the same audience I said with Yokai Watch, and one side again from the internal Digimon fandom itself. I mean, most of Digimon fandom in west are having difficulty to actually accept new things, especially things that seem far different than original Digimon itself, like what Appmon looked like. If they can't even accept things outside of Adventure or Tamers (like Frontier and XW), then it's much smaller chance for them to accept things like Appmon. So yeah, the neophobia is so strong with western Digimon fandom in general.

As for marketing it towards kids in west, I doubt kids in west still enjoy any Japanese entertainment aside of... Pokemon (maybe?)

Last edited:

pumpkiumpkins

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I doubt kids in west still enjoy any Japanese entertainment aside of... Pokemon (maybe?)

That's a pretty big assumption. Also funny enough, YW3 did less well than the other two games, sales wise. Normalizing a bit now, especially with other hits for little kids, like Cocotama. Appmon's just a fresh new thing, so who knows? Pokemon would be the main competitor here in the States, though.

Appmon being a sort of reboot does it some good, since it means older fans can still get classic Digimon stuff (tri and Next 0) while kids can enjoy something freely without being shackled to some of the older ideas. Helps that the game turned out really good. If Saban gets it, then ehhhh. But if it goes to some company who advertises it very well, I could see it actually turn out well! My worry is the age of the 3DS, and if it'll still be strong enough to get sales by 2017 or whenever things get localized.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm not sure. The only question I'm thinking is where it would air if it was on TV.

Jay Ukyou

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I imagine whoever did Digimon Fusion might pick it up?

Alternately, if they're smart, whoever picked up Yokai Watch or Pokemon would be able to make a monopoly by picking up Appmon too.

DATS24

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm not sure. The only question I'm thinking is where it would air if it was on TV.
The question is what channel do kids in west especially US still usually watch? I remember series like Danball Senki tried to attract kids market in US, but the anime was aired on Nicktoons, which was a very niche channel and not many watchers. Fusion also aired on Nicktoons. The result? both failed and not many watchers.

Idk how Yokai Watch do on there, but IIRC it's airing on Netflix(?), and I heard the show got quite popular, but only towards teen-adult which were anime fans, which are also can be called a niche audience after all. I wonder how the movie will do, since they're showing YW movie on a theater...

Alternately, if they're smart, whoever picked up Yokai Watch or Pokemon would be able to make a monopoly by picking up Appmon too.
I guess taking similar franchise which rivalry each other by the same company wouldn't make it better.

Tetra Seleno

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yokai Watch's dub also airs on Disney XD in North America.

Toko Tamer

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

The English versions of the Pokémon and Yo-kai Watch anime are both produced directly by the international subsidiaries of their respective rights holders (The Pokémon Company and Level-5, respectively).

flintlock

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Bandai literally never gave us a Digivice that was the same as the Japanese counterpart that I know of, and that's what they're relying on the most to sell toys. Xros Wars barely brought over any of the Japanese toys too. That's one of the main sales of a series like this and I don't know how well it would do if they didn't bring the massive amount of stuff over here.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I remember series like Danball Senki tried to attract kids market in US, but the anime was aired on Nicktoons, which was a very niche channel and not many watchers. Fusion also aired on Nicktoons. The result? both failed and not many watchers.
Which is sad because I liked Danball. The game was fun. But sadly, Nicktoons is not very common. But Nick never really was big on anime were they. ...That's off topic though. I'll stop.

Gigamon23

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think that in a competition between Yokai Watch and Appmon, Appmon is more likely to win here in the states. Kids are getting more familiar with smart devices younger and younger, so anything to do with that might mean that Appmon has an advantage over something like Yokai Watch. Plus, I think the concept is more likely to grab kids' imaginations. "Monsters living in my cell phone?! How cool! I wonder what my favorite app would look like as a monster..." (Or something along those lines.)

Honestly, I think that marketing Appmon as it's own thing could be more preferable here in the states. Half the people who even remember Digimon only remember it through fond memories from the first couple of seasons, or that it was a "Pokemon rip-off", so having the Digimon brand feature too prominently might bring with it some baggage. Admittedly, the former group could have one of two reactions. Either they'll lose interest because it isn't like the things they liked, or they'll love it regardless just because it has the Digimon brand on it. Those who only remember it as a Pokemon rip-off will brush it off as the same once again. Could happen anyway, though, since Appmon still has the "-mon" on the end of it, but it could stand a better chance without the Digimon brand being pushed too heavily.

I haven't had a chance to look at the new game very much, but if it's any good, THAT is where it could gain popularity, I think, rather than the TV show.

KoushiroIZZYIzumi

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's gonna be harder than ever for Bandai and Toei Animation to market Appmon in the west due to the fact that broadcast networks in the states have now switched to educational programming on Saturday mornings now. Federal laws have even limited the amount of advertising during shows aimed at kids 12 and under making an animated show like the Applimonsters anime less profitable under current conditions.

I don't know if the anime on a cable/satellite network would be enough (especially with the "cut the cord" trend going on).

Bandai literally never gave us a Digivice that was the same as the Japanese counterpart that I know of, and that's what they're relying on the most to sell toys.
They never did but that D-Power they gave us in the U.S. was close (at least when it came to functionality....... with the exception of entering codes).

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's gonna be harder than ever for Bandai and Toei Animation to market Appmon in the west due to the fact that broadcast networks in the states have now switched to educational programming on Saturday mornings now. Federal laws have even limited the amount of advertising during shows aimed at kids 12 and under making an animated show like the Applimonsters anime less profitable under current conditions.

I don't know if the anime on a cable/satellite network would be enough (especially with the "cut the cord" trend going on).
To be fair, the networks long since haven't directly programed their kids blocks themselves (and they could never advertise for products in the same show for most of my life, and for all of the lives of some of our younger members.)

It's a matter of finding the right place to put it, if such a place exists. It may be doing it non-exclusive on Netflix, Hulu, etc.

Bandai literally never gave us a Digivice that was the same as the Japanese counterpart that I know of, and that's what they're relying on the most to sell toys.
They never did but that D-Power they gave us in the U.S. was close (at least when it came to functionality....... with the exception of entering codes).
The product focus in the USA was never on the digivices (I'm not saying they didn't sell well mind you, but the figures and other products were always a much bigger focus than the digivices.) The bread and butter in the USA was action figures and various other ancillary products.. I think you could argue the product focus in Japan wasn't the digivice either to be honest, they just had a market that did have that more as a viable product, so having a nicer one made sense.

DigitalCorp

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think that in a competition between Yokai Watch and Appmon, Appmon is more likely to win here in the states. Kids are getting more familiar with smart devices younger and younger, so anything to do with that might mean that Appmon has an advantage over something like Yokai Watch. Plus, I think the concept is more likely to grab kids' imaginations. "Monsters living in my cell phone?! How cool! I wonder what my favorite app would look like as a monster..." (Or something along those lines.)

Yo-Kai Watch is huge here in the States. There are toys, a number of video games, and the series is still going strong. In fact, the second game uses the theme written by Swampy Marsh in the intro. At least, that's what I saw in the demo.

Gigamon23

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yo-Kai Watch is huge here in the States. There are toys, a number of video games, and the series is still going strong. In fact, the second game uses the theme written by Swampy Marsh in the intro. At least, that's what I saw in the demo.
Not saying it isn't. Just saying that Appmon has the potential to do as well or better in the States, because the subject matter is one kids would probably more familiar with (especially since most of them have grown up with smart devices by now).

DigitalCorp

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'll agree with that. This is probably the next evolution in Digivices. Soon, Digivices will be apps on phones.

Based on the current deals with Power Rangers and Digimon Fusion, I predict this will be on Nickelodeon or Nicktoons.

DATS24

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't think YW is huge in west. It's rather underrated, and burried underground. Sure it has solid fanbase, but nobody discuss it on general anime forum. The game itself didn't sell that well... (only around 200k in US)

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It may be picking up steam but the new game did release yesterday the end of September, and the 1st movie is coming to the US so maybe it'll get moderately big here. The 3rd games take place in Not!America so maybe that would work.

I'd watch Appmon where ever it airs... As long as it's not Netflix. I don't have that. I just hope they finish it unlike Yugioh Zexal or Arc-V. I'm not sure if they're still airing new eps of the latter and I never finished the dub of the former.