Grammar Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Modulus

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
"Well," said Modulus, "that is a debatable issue."

I'm pretty sure you could have a comma, but it just reads much better if there is a period instead. If the speaker isn't very descriptive, then I'd use a comma. But really, it depends on what the person is saying.

Try picturing them saying it without an interjecting description of who's saying it:

"Hello, how are you doing today?"
("Hello," said Sue, "how are you today?")

versus

"Hello. How are you doing today?"
("Hello," said Sue. "How are you today?")

Both of them could work, so I'm sure both of your methods of phrasing that particular piece of dialogue would be correct. Personally, I think the period after 'hello' flows much better.

It may be kind of confusing to see it this way, so I'll provide an example:

"In the end, it doesn't really matter," said John.

CAN be written as

"In the end," said John, "it doesn't really matter.

not

"In the end," said John. "It doesn't really matter."

Most of the time, these sentences can be written out in quotation marks and then followed by "said person." What you're basically doing is just moving "said person" to another spot. "It's a little more complicated than basic dialogue," my old English teacher told me, "but it makes your writing look a lot more proffessional."

SSJ Jup81

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
[quote author=Modulus link=topic=3219.msg64320#msg64320 date=1188622977]
"Well," said Modulus, "that is a debatable issue."

I'm pretty sure you could have a comma, but it just reads much better if there is a period instead. If the speaker isn't very descriptive, then I'd use a comma. But really, it depends on what the person is saying.

Try picturing them saying it without an interjecting description of who's saying it:

"Hello, how are you doing today?"
("Hello," said Sue, "how are you today?")

versus

"Hello. How are you doing today?"
("Hello," said Sue. "How are you today?")

Both of them could work, so I'm sure both of your methods of phrasing that particular piece of dialogue would be correct. Personally, I think the period after 'hello' flows much better.

It may be kind of confusing to see it this way, so I'll provide an example:

"In the end, it doesn't really matter," said John.

CAN be written as

"In the end," said John, "it doesn't really matter.

not

"In the end," said John. "It doesn't really matter."

Most of the time, these sentences can be written out in quotation marks and then followed by "said person." What you're basically doing is just moving "said person" to another spot. "It's a little more complicated than basic dialogue," my old English teacher told me, "but it makes your writing look a lot more proffessional."
[/quote]You explained this quite well. That's pretty much what I meant here. For me, if I'm writing something, I tend to use that other method, if dialogue has gone on for too long without one of the speakers being identified for the readers. It's very helpful in some instances, but as you said, either way can be used. Neither way is better than the other; it is all about preference.

tai

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
lol for my english test all i did was study ur topic kitsune lol thanks i got a 92

Status
Not open for further replies.