Ghost Game Key Art, Text Teaser, Show Designs, Cast, Character Info, plus Trailer Later This Week

Sparrow Hawk

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It reminds me of Tamers poster with Impmon.

TheImpster

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The Gammamon likes to bite everything reminds me of Chomp from Dinosaur king, and if Villainmon is a child i imagine him digivolve to Negamon.
That would be silly, to recycle a villain so soon

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well. I'm interested. This should be great. ...Better then Adventure again but still.

Eitaroutarouman

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Given Hiro's surname, I wonder if Gammamon could have a space theme. I hope the trailer shows at least one evo.

JungleTrooper

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Given Hiro's surname, I wonder if Gammamon could have a space theme. I hope the trailer shows at least one evo.
We'll probably see some evolutions in the Dim-card around early october, which is already quite soon fortunately enough.

Ricardolindo

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
All of this sounds interesting, especially Hiro's Digivice having come from his father.

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The Poster

The new poster looks nice and dynamic overall.
The characters look closer to what we can expect from the actual animation, that kind of shift was expected. When a mangaka's design get translated into something that's easier to animate there's usually quite a bit of tweaking going on. I'm sure there's more detailed analysis about this topic somewhere out there but one thing I often observe is that rounded and flowing design element tend to get turned into something more angular or at least simpler curves. I remember when Asano Inio contributed character designs for "the Perfect Insider" and besides a few vague facial proportions there really wasn't much of his distinctive style left in animated form.

Weirdly enough the Digimoji next to Gammamon's tail seem to be a mix of the Japanese and Latin symbols which spells out (as far as I can tell) "Mirnang", but that's just a quick lookup. Could be they were trying to spell "Mirage" or maybe they just put some symbols there at random.

The Characters

Hiro Amanokawa (whose name google translate interestingly translates as "Milky Way") just seems pretty much okay. The profile isn't saying much more than "he's competent" which isn't really much of a statement either way. He could be more interesting than your typical hotblooded goofball or insecure wimp protagonist but then again Taiki was "competent" but that didn't make him interesting to watch.
Competent characters a great when you have a plot that involves problems that actually require that competence. Otherwise they'll either just a) breeze through the plot or b) be forced to act less competent than they are actually meant to be.

Gammamon... a generic obnoxious mascot, which is well within expectations. I am not even going to pretend that anything about him seems interesting or entertaining. I'd be up for a nice new dinosaur themed evolution line regardless.

Moving on to Ruri, I have not found a single thing to care about in her profile. Are we suppose to care that her school is "integrated"? And what does having a "popular social media account" even mean for a 13 year old nowadays in terms of scale? Even if I was the kind of person who heavily uses social media I'm not sure if I'd expect Ghost Game to have anything relevant to say about any of it.

Angoramon... there's some interesting stuff here event though I still don't like the design.
I've seen him pegged very definitely as the "the big goofy comic relief" character and... turns out he's not.
I definitely think it helps to have someone actually knowledgeable about Digimon and the Digital World among the protagonists, this could reasonably prevent basic mysteries from being dragged out too much and gives the characters the resources to act more actively as opposed to just waiting for the plot to just happen around them.

Kiyoshiro is the most promising of the bunch I'd say.
Even if the whole "genius who skipped grades" archetype is kind of tired, the idea of him being written as a coward might actually act as a nice counterbalance. At the very least it could make for some interesting interactions with the other characters... If you combine cowardliness and high intelligence you might for example get someone who attempts to manipulate other characters into situations that he himself doesn't want to deal with.

Jellymon might be interesting as well. The idea that human activities seem like weird games to her certainly has some decent potential for meaningful social commentary... or it could end up as a bunch of lazy jokes. One interesting hint we can gather from her profile would be that Digimon in general, despite being portrayed as ghostly, still normally interact with the physical world, otherwise Jellymon's ability to phase through matter would not be in any way notable.

The Plot

Not much to say about the plot so far... being more human-world based has its pros and cons and it's too early to tell if their particular approach will get any mileage out of it.
By far the most interesting tidbits is Hiro getting the Digivice and/or Gammamon potentially passed on from his father, so maybe there's some sort of generational aspects to partnerships here. And I guess that could work.
When Zero Two first attempted the whole old-time flash-back plot point with Iori's father the fact that back then digital technology had only been actually mainstream for a few years always made it feel like a bit of a stretch. With Ghost game, especially since it's set in the near future, it is no longer a surprise that adults could have encountered Digimon in their youth, but I still wonder how much of a role Hiro's father will actually have in the story...
(And I maintain that the whole cryptid angle is still baseless speculation even if urban legends are involved in the plot)

The Staff

Starting off with the most promising part of basically the whole announcement: Kou Otami. His soundtrack for Shadow of the Colossus is still one of my favorite soundtracks for anything ever, but I am not familiar with any of his anime works.
Anway, this could really turn the tide after Digimon soundtracks have been mostly just "okay" after Xros Wars.
It takes some special talent to weave themes into tracks without having them feel obnoxious or repetitive and Toshiko Sahashi just didn't pass that bar in the Adventure: OST. It didn't help that the parts of the soundtrack that were not orchestral (like synth or rock passages) sounded uninspired perfunctory in general.
Otami seems mostly focused on orchestra as well, but listening through more of his output, I do believe that he has the range and skill needed for a soundtrack with more progressive elements.
So I am hoping for a soundtrack that knows how to create a more nuanced atmosphere. Less overpowering fanfares and in-your-face leitmotifs, more layers and variation.

It shouldn't be surprising but I am rather skeptical of any returning staff from Adventure: (except for animators I guess).
I remember it as if it was yesterday when, before Adventure: started, I was trying to find some glimmer of hope in Masatao Mitsuka's repertoire of rather generic shows but it turned out that generic was simply all we got in the end.
Does Kimitoshi Chioka's list of credits look any better? Not really to be honest... but he has at least worked at least on more and better seasons of Digimon than Mitsuka.

As far as Masashi Sogo as Series Composer is concerned, it would be tempting to simply say: "This is a man who wrote 5 episodes of Agatha Christie's Great Detectives Poirot and Marple, so we know we're in good hands."
But honestly who knows, the overall prevalence of adapted works makes the skill in actual plotting difficult to judge. If a story like Bleach or Fairy Tail goes downhill that's not something to be blamed on the people involved in the TV adaptation. Cautiously optimistic on that one.

General Outlook

Is there potential for something really good? I think so. But potential needs to be realized first.
Above all, the basics needs to be present. Characters with actual arcs. An distinct plot going on rather than just random episodic hijinks and stopping generic evil. Just anything with substance.

And since it seems that "kids show" apologists like to jump at the throat of anyone with the gall to demand any sort of standards, here's a little clarification:
That shows for kids can get away with being brainless, plotless, shallow nonsense doesn't mean that they should be excused or even congratulated for cutting corners.
Many of us are here because Digimon did at the very least not take as many "kids are stupid and won't care" shortcuts, because over the years we have seen seasons set promising standards and precedents.
It is justified to expect future entries to live up to those standards.

Ragnalord

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
We'll probably see some evolutions in the Dim-card around early october, which is already quite soon fortunately enough.

I would rather have evos be a surprise, since in this anime we are getting new content

e105zeta

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

I would rather have evos be a surprise, since in this anime we are getting new content
Evolutions have never been that much of a surprise to anyone with the merch. Especially the Digivice toys.

BugData

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm excited to see what direction that this particular series takes. Digimon has been rather hit or miss for me in the past (regarding the animation), but this has interested me from the start.

e105zeta

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm definitely most interested in Kiyoshiro and Jellymon. Having a Digimon boss their human around is a dynamic that should've been explored in the anime a long time ago, but never has.

There's also a lot of potential hilarity to be had from a character that wants to be a Yamato archetype but is actually a coward.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wait. His last name is Amanokawa? That's just like Amanogawa. The school from Kamen Rider Fourze. Which meant Milky Way. ...Huh. Space Dino evo? Maybe similar to the cards of other MC Luke from YuGiOh SEVENS?

Mon-Ohma

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Starting off with the most promising part of basically the whole announcement: Kou Otami. His soundtrack for Shadow of the Colossus is still one of my favorite soundtracks for anything ever, but I am not familiar with any of his anime works.

He did work on Gundam Wing. Not a tremendous fan of the show, but the music was definitely a highlight.

Eitaroutarouman

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wait. His last name is Amanokawa? That's just like Amanogawa. The school from Kamen Rider Fourze. Which meant Milky Way. ...Huh. Space Dino evo? Maybe similar to the cards of other MC Luke from YuGiOh SEVENS?
It's the exact word, just an alternate pronounciation.

Pleasehearmyopinion

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Kimitoshi Chioka, assistant director, storyboard artist, and episode director for Adventure, 02, Tamers, Frontier, and Savers. Was also the series director for the first 46 episodes of Dragon Ball Super, and worked on many other anime.
Masatao Mitsuka, series director and episode director for Digimon Adventure:, episode director for Xros Wars. Also worked on Dragon Ball Super, Kitaro, One Piece, and other franchises.

How do people feel about the Director and Assistant director?

TheImpster

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The Gammamon likes to bite everything reminds me of Chomp from Dinosaur king, and if Villainmon is a child i imagine him digivolve to Negamon.
That would be silly, to recycle a villain so soon

Kimitoshi Chioka, assistant director, storyboard artist, and episode director for Adventure, 02, Tamers, Frontier, and Savers. Was also the series director for the first 46 episodes of Dragon Ball Super, and worked on many other anime.
Masatao Mitsuka, series director and episode director for Digimon Adventure:, episode director for Xros Wars. Also worked on Dragon Ball Super, Kitaro, One Piece, and other franchises.

I'm actually cautiously optimistic about this. Mitsuka doesn't give me much hope, but Chioka does.

Amandil7

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I like the characters look really cute especially Hiro!

JungleTrooper

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

One of the biggest problems Adventure: is suffering, is the lack of a plot. So, the script-writers are something to look out for, as well.

shynely

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
When Zero Two first attempted the whole old-time flash-back plot point with Iori's father the fact that back then digital technology had only been actually mainstream for a few years always made it feel like a bit of a stretch. With Ghost game, especially since it's set in the near future, it is no longer a surprise that adults could have encountered Digimon in their youth, but I still wonder how much of a role Hiro's father will actually have in the story...

To be fair, 02 attempted to suggest that people had been detecting Digimon for longer than computers actually existed, with the episode where Miyako meets Joe's brother and Sora's father.

WoolishlyGrim

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

One of the biggest problems Adventure: is suffering, is the lack of a plot. So, the script-writers are something to look out for, as well.

Probably less the individual script writers and more whoever's in charge of series composition.

Because individually, a lot of Adventure's episodes are quite fun character pieces, the problem is more that the series has been composed with seemingly no idea of what the overarching plot is and where it's actually going, and that's series compositor, not script writer. In this case, that was Hiroyuki Sakurada's job.