Ghost Game Key Art, Text Teaser, Show Designs, Cast, Character Info, plus Trailer Later This Week

Digiforlife

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm quite impressed with number of high profile voice actors/actresses they manage to bring in for Digimon Adventure 2020 and upcoming Ghost Game series. Looking forward to their performances soon:)

Muur

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think "Higashimitarai" is meant to be two separate surnames of "Higashi" and "Mitarai", since if you google "Higashimitarai" literally only Digimon comes up it doesn't exist as a surname. The former two do exist however. I get the feeling it's meant to be a double barrel surname which is very common in English, and with him moving to Japan from the United States that makes sense. It's prob meant to be both his Mother's and Father's surname as a double barrel surname and is prob meant to be formatted as Higashi-Mitarai. Was a very confusing surname until I looked into what the name is meant to be (does Japan combine double barel surnames like this when translating them from another language? EG, if they were to translate Dorothy Elias-Fahn into Japanese would that end up as Eliasfahn?)

Tetsuya Suoh

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So, anyone else getting a Persona/Devil Survivor/SMT-esque vibe from the description? No? Just me? Okay then.

Mattman324

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This entire "cryptid theme" still feels like people are reading the show the entirely wrong way, not making an accounting for Ghost Game's basis in Japanese culture and trying to replace it with a not-entirely-fitting American equivalent, and ignoring counterevidence e.g. the whole thing a few weeks ago with people mistaking Angoramon for a yeti.
First trailer this weekend after Adventure: episode 65.
Objectively speaking that's pretty soon, isn't it? But it'll be three weeks out from the first airing, which is less time than PV1s usually get, so... please tell me Ghost Game isn't going to turn out to be another Digimon series whose production was heavily troubled.

YongYoKyo

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I will iterate that I never perpetuated whatever this cryptid-protagonists theory is. By cryptids, I'm referring to the "urban legends" aspect of it, myths and rumored existences that young kids tell each other about.
So, anyone else getting a Persona/Devil Survivor/SMT-esque vibe from the description? No? Just me? Okay then.
Mainly just Persona 4, especially as urban legends were a major theme of the game.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
First trailer this weekend after Adventure: episode 65.
Objectively speaking that's pretty soon, isn't it? But it'll be three weeks out from the first airing, which is less time than PV1s usually get, so... please tell me Ghost Game isn't going to turn out to be another Digimon series whose production was heavily troubled.

It'd literally be the first that we're aware of. Fans saying it constantly doesn't make it true. At least any more so than other anime.

Even Adventure: the only thing different that we know of for sure is recording the cast was done differently. Toei put all their shows on hiatus together last year at the same time specifically to avoid trouble.

Trailers showing up near a show starting isn't that abnormal, Digimon has just been in the overall position in recent years of starting anew, and going with stuff early.

Yamato-san

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh damn, Kou Otani doing the music? Now there's a name I haven't heard in years (though according to his Wiki profile, he has remained active, I've apparently just been missing most the things he's been involved in the past decade). I always loved the soundtracks to Outlaw Star and Soul Taker, so here's hoping he can do this one good too.

This'll be interesting. Hopefully they make the horror aspect approachable for a weak-hearted person, like me who tends to shy away from heavy horror aspects. It's a bit refreshing to see Gaomon and Wizardmon's VAs coming back to voice new characters in the Anime, and also humorous since Akira Ishida last voiced a character in 02 (which was around 20 years ago...)

By the way, i've spotted the hands of Keramon, Devimon, Okuwamon, Guardromon, Ebidramon, and what's maybe Diablomon near the upper left corner? in the poster. I can't pin all of these but I did a bit of quick checking.
Didn't Akira Ishida reprise his Wizarmon role in X-Evolution?

WoolishlyGrim

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is definitely a much more characterful poster than the last one we got. I'm cautiously excited, it'll be interesting to see what they do with this.

As far as how relatively early the trailer is showing, it's -- ehh, not too odd, actually. Toei has the advantage of an easy place and time where they can put a trailer, where it'll be seen by an audience who are provably into Digimon, so they aren't haggling over how best to put the trailer out. It's like how new Kamen Rider series trailers usually start coming out 4-5 weeks in advance of the show.

Grimmon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The theme seems solid enough to be a little hopeful for something more engaging than Adventure:, however I assume that one's premise was solid as well. Either way it's hard not get excited with all of this.

Mattman324

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It'd literally be the first that we're aware of.
Didn't Young Hunters end up getting confirmed back at some point? I swear it was confirmed as a rushed development to fill a timeslot. And Tri absolutely had a lot of staff movement while it was being made, with less than satisfactory results given how it got worse as it went in.
Trailers showing up near a show starting isn't that abnormal
Three weeks beforehand on something as notable as a new Digimon series, though, that's a bit short timewise, isn't it?

Like I'm pretty sure Adventure: had its first PV happen three or so months before it aired, and the PVs for a lot of shows I care about this year were hitting months in advance as well (though some of that is shit like "oh, hey, Xebec's finally doing shit again now that they work for Sunrise, here's what's going on" admittedly so a bit ahead of schedule there).

It's not a guarantee that something's happening, or even remotely solid in that regard, but...

Wolfry

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Didn't Akira Ishida reprise his Wizarmon role in X-Evolution?
Yes, though I count X-Evolution more as a movie than part of the actual anime (considering it's like 80 minutes and is a standalone thing in the franchise.)

Nemomon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It has a great chance of becoming another Ghost Stories/Gakkou no Kaidan season!

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It'd literally be the first that we're aware of.
Didn't Young Hunters end up getting confirmed back at some point? I swear it was confirmed as a rushed development to fill a timeslot. And Tri absolutely had a lot of staff movement while it was being made, with less than satisfactory results given how it got worse as it went in.

Young Hunters was produced quickly, but that doesn't necessarily mean problematic.

And the hold a timeslot I don't believe was ever confirmed, it was more fans looking for an explanation.

But the idea that they used it hold a timeslot, for a show that was in production a decent bit before Hunters ever began, etc.

I mean, I've seen Saint Seiya fans say Hunters was cancelled and that Saint Seiya show was moved forward to keep hold of the timeslot.

It's more likely a case of 'kind of close enough to the rumor', Xros did well enough, and it made sense to keep it going (with various changes) while other shows were simply given more time when they probably 'could' have just gone forward as is.

And the tri. stuff is pretty much nonsense The staff was reasonably solid for a multiyear film/ova production. And of course, we saw what Toei thought of how it performed in financial reports and investor Q&As. They were quite happy. It's part of why Kizuna went into production before tri. was done, and Adventure: went into production before Kizuna was done.

The main relevant staff changes were producer related... Toei added their new staff producer to tri. a few from the end, and he's still around. One producer when tri. was near the end moved from Digimon to running the new Toei division in charge of expanding what they did with Dragon Ball. There were of course, other movements, but nothing abnormal.

'Staff movement' is claimed by fans complaining about nearly any Digimon series. It's said about 02 constantly.

The same fans talking about tri. doing poorly were talking about Kizuna doing poorly, etc.

With how many things some fans claim have failed, in a row, you'd figure the franchise would vanish, instead of us continually getting more and more, it being mentioned in financial reports positively, etc.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Updated various translations in the article thanks to onkei.

TheImpster

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This honestly has me hyped. Not a fan of Hiro being a Taiki type of character, but as long as he's not 🤢2020 Taichi🤮 it should be fine. Love the horror theme!
lol, the fact that he never turn down any request make him similar to 2020 taichi😛
To an extent. But there's one major difference. Hiro's father appears to be connected to the Digimon incidents in some way, which opens the door for a lot of possible development while 2020 Taichi has nothing like that.

lucemonbr

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I loved all this. I feel we will have a great season on the way.

Eitaroutarouman

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ruri's expression on the teaser made her seem like a much calmer person than how she apparently is.

Geode

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Gammamon likes chocolate that’s new and wasn’t Veemon also mischievous, still excited for this. And Hiro still gives me a Sei vibes.

Yamato-san

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Gammamon likes chocolate that’s new and wasn’t Veemon also mischievous, still excited for this. And Hiro still gives me a Sei vibes.
If I recall correctly, V-mon was rather mild in its mischief. Considering Gammamon's a Virus, I wonder if "mischievious" means he could be a full-blown prankster akin to Impmon or Dracmon.