Ghost Game Guide Listings for Episodes 29 through 32- Hints, Plushies, & the Return

Kiiro

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think it depends on the execution. This is only a synopsis so it does not detail the reason they aren't able to discern between the two Gammamons. I personally don't mind either way since the characters acting gullible out of nowhere is not something new in this series.

Illu

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't like 32. We already had the whole Fake and real thing and it was shown the partners had no issue recognising the real ones. So what, only Digimons can tell? Just fucking make Gammamon evolve to see which one is real. That's like the worst kind of generating drama for drama's sake.
I mean, Betsumon can just impersonate Betel or Kaus or Wezen or Gulus if needed.

Dathanatus

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't like 32. We already had the whole Fake and real thing and it was shown the partners had no issue recognising the real ones. So what, only Digimons can tell? Just fucking make Gammamon evolve to see which one is real. That's like the worst kind of generating drama for drama's sake.
You're implying that they're going to use betsumon for drama instead of comedy
I mean Gammamon being described as having lost the place he belongs, and wandering around in sorrow sounds like drama to me.

TheDigiVoid

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I agree with you. Is there even a plot for this show at all? We are nearly thirty episodes in and have seen no hint at a plot whatsoever, just a random episodic direction with no real villain or purpose as to why it exists. I really miss Adventure badly, everything including the awesome music, wish it would have been a sequel to the 2020 reboot instead of this. For all the complaints about it being too Taichi focused with too little character exploration in favor of continuous battle, these characters here are dreadfully boring and have no real reason to exist.
Tired of this Episodic direction the show is continually being taken in.
The director made no secret about the fact that this would be episodic from the start. You should stop expecting this show to be like the other series and just watch it similar to how someone watches gegege no Kitaro, Batman the animated series or the ghost busters tv shows. Also, it looks like we might get not just one but two perfect evolutions in this batch, so there is progr

I agree with you. Is there even a plot for this show at all? We are nearly thirty episodes in and have seen no hint at a plot whatsoever, just a random episodic direction with no real villain or purpose as to why it exists. I really miss Adventure badly, everything including the awesome music, wish it would have been a sequel to the 2020 reboot instead of this. For all the complaints about it being too Taichi focused with too little character exploration in favor of continuous battle, these characters here are dreadfully boring and have no real reason to exist.
The director made no secret about the fact that this would be episodic from the start. You should stop expecting this show to be like the other series and just watch it similar to how someone watches gegege no Kitaro, Batman the animated series or the ghost busters tv shows. Also, it looks like we might get not just one but two perfect evolutions in this batch, so there is progress.
Evolutions don't really equate to progress. The episodic format for is fine early on, but to make it pretty much the bulk of the entire series is a massive red flag imo. This is because by the time they address the main plot they won't have time to flesh it out properly, causing the series to fall flat on it's face because they had to rush it.If that's what they were going for then why even have this whole main plot with gulus gammon, those dark versions of digimon that keep appearing after his subsequent appearance and Hiro's father's dissapearance? Series like Tamers and even the adventure remake had an episodic format at a certain point too, but you didn't see these series directors not build and flesh out the plot 32 episodes in. This series has alot of potential. And it be a shame to watch it just go out on a whimper because of the direction they were going in

TheImpster

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The director made no secret about the fact that this would be episodic from the start. You should stop expecting this show to be like the other series and just watch it similar to how someone watches gegege no Kitaro, Batman the animated series or the ghost busters tv shows. Also, it looks like we might get not just one but two perfect evolutions in this batch, so there is progr

The director made no secret about the fact that this would be episodic from the start. You should stop expecting this show to be like the other series and just watch it similar to how someone watches gegege no Kitaro, Batman the animated series or the ghost busters tv shows. Also, it looks like we might get not just one but two perfect evolutions in this batch, so there is progress.
Evolutions don't really equate to progress. The episodic format for is fine early on, but to make it pretty much the bulk of the entire series is a massive red flag imo. This is because by the time they address the main plot they won't have time to flesh it out properly, causing the series to fall flat on it's face because they had to rush it.If that's what they were going for then why even have this whole main plot with gulus gammon, those dark versions of digimon that keep appearing after his subsequent appearance and Hiro's father's dissapearance? Series like Tamers and even the adventure remake had an episodic format at a certain point too, but you didn't see these series directors not build and flesh out the plot 32 episodes in. This series has alot of potential. And it be a shame to watch it just go out on a whimper because of the direction they were going in
Once again I point to the series I mentioned earlier and also to the original Ben 10 series. ESPECIALLY Ben 10. That show has a structure very similar to ghost game. The vast majority of the series was also very monster of the week with no real plot, despite there being continuity. Sure, there were a few storylines, like the werewolf/mummy/ghost freak one that spanned throughout large stretches, but they were mostly in the background with many unrelated in between episodes. Similar to the GulusGammamon storyline. That's the kind of show ghost game is aiming to be. And in my opinion, it's doing a pretty fine job at it so far. It never intended to be a very plot heavy show like other Digimon shows, so it should be judged for what it's aiming to be rather than for what we expected it to be

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Huh. So we have Anubis from Jojo, Stuffed animal mons, & sadly Betsumon again. Hope we do get an evo soon but I might actually like seeing some plot soon but I'll wait for it. Sounds interesting.

e105zeta

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Once again I point to the series I mentioned earlier and also to the original Ben 10 series. ESPECIALLY Ben 10. That show has a structure very similar to ghost game. The vast majority of the series was also very monster of the week with no real plot, despite there being continuity. Sure, there were a few storylines, like the werewolf/mummy/ghost freak one that spanned throughout large stretches, but they were mostly in the background with many unrelated in between episodes. Similar to the GulusGammamon storyline. That's the kind of show ghost game is aiming to be. And in my opinion, it's doing a pretty fine job at it so far. It never intended to be a very plot heavy show like other Digimon shows, so it should be judged for what it's aiming to be rather than for what we expected it to be

Ben 10 was a comedy adventure series though. Ghost Game is horror. Horror + recurring protagonist + episodic doesn’t usually work.

TheDigiVoid

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

I don't think Ben 10 is a good example. This is because Ben 10 ironically had a main plot surrounding the Omnitrix and vilgax, a reoccurring villian who wanted the Omnitrix to dominate the universe. However, unlike Ben 10 ghost game has zero reoccurring villains despite being 32 episodes in and so far there's really no real central conflict yet aside from the gulusgammon situation, which hasn't been fully fleshed out after 32 episodes. And to add insult to injury they are alluding to a central plot through gulus and black gatomon, yet we barely get anything from them. What it's aiming to be isn't lining up, because so far it looks like they flip flop between the "central plot" and the monster of the week episodes with no real reoccurring conflict. Lastly it's ok to not be plot heavy but with the plot hints they give here and there but they are naturally building people's expectations of a central plot.

Mon-Ohma

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What mainly keeps me invested in Ghost Game is the fact the show is extremely difficult to second guess in terms of what might happen in an upcoming episode, these preview synopsis being such an example. Potentially nothing noteworthy could happen in this next batch, but on the other hand something major could just as easily crop up with no prior warning.
Compared to say 2020, which made a point of being anally repetitive and predictable to the point of turning into a sad self-parody, along with spoiling things weeks in advance.

As a result of this different approach I found things like GulusGammamon's debut far more memorable and impactful than all the overblown hype for WarGreymon, precisely because it came as a total surprise.

Ghost Game certainly isn't perfect, but it's definitely the most investment I've had in a mainline Digimon series/cast since Frontier ended.

TheImpster

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Ben 10 was a comedy adventure series though. Ghost Game is horror. Horror + recurring protagonist + episodic doesn’t usually work.
That's not really true. Ben 10 has plenty of horror and ghost game has plenty of comedy. And at the end of the day they're both action series, and even their gimmicks are similar, with Gammamon's evolutions being similar to Ben's alien forms.

I don't think Ben 10 is a good example. This is because Ben 10 ironically had a main plot surrounding the Omnitrix and vilgax, a reoccurring villian who wanted the Omnitrix to dominate the universe. However, unlike Ben 10 ghost game has zero reoccurring villains despite being 32 episodes in and so far there's really no real central conflict yet aside from the gulusgammon situation, which hasn't been fully fleshed out after 32 episodes.
But ghost game did have recurring villains. They just switched functions. Clockmon has been the antagonist twice. Sure, he switched sides, but he was a recurring villain before his redemption. Besides, having a recurring villain doesn't really help much. Vilgax was really just a generic one-dimensional bad guy. Sure, you know his motivation, but... So what? That doesn't mean anything when he's so generic, even though he's really cool. Also you say that there's no real conflict, but that's just blatantly untrue. "Digimon are running amok and threatening the lives of civilians" is more than enough conflict. Extreme Ghostbusters doesn't have any recurring antagonists that I can remember, almost every single episode of that series is self contained, and I know many people who consider it their favorite ghost busters series.

Besides, ghost game is clearly setting up other villains for the second half.
And to add insult to injury they are alluding to a central plot through gulus and black gatomon, yet we barely get anything from them. What it's aiming to be isn't lining up, because so far it looks like they flip flop between the "central plot" and the monster of the week episodes with no real reoccurring conflict. Lastly it's ok to not be plot heavy but with the plot hints they give here and there but they are naturally building people's expectations of a central plot.
Again, Ben 10 did that too. I even mentioned when it did that. The ghost freak storyline was spread out very thin throughout the show. Like you see the episode where ghost freak separates from Ben. Then like 10 unrelated episodes. Then the episode with the werewolf that ends on a cliffhanger. 10 unrelated episodes. Then the mummy episode. Then another batch of unrelated episodes before we finally reach the climax of that storyline (not counting his return in alien force).

EDIT: OK, upon further inspection the ghost freak storyline didn't take that long, at least not the resurrection part. There were only a few episodes between each of the henchmen. It's the messed up episode order from back when I watched the show on Kabel Eins on German television that screwed with my perception. But the overall storyline is still on the longer side, and I stand by the fact that ghost game is still quite effective as Ben 10 type of show, while other seasons like adventure or tamers are more like Avatar.

Last edited:

Chimera-gui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There’s also the fact that Vilgax was only main villain in season 1 and Secret of the Omnitrix. In season 2, he only appeared in the finale where he was basically cast out of the series altogether until the movie and he took a slight backseat to Kevin, who was a recurring villain in season 2 and closest thing to a main villain in it, with Zs'Skayr set up as season 3 villain and the Forever Knights becoming the main villains of season 4.

Hell Vilgax’s only appearances in season 4 were a dream and the what-if episode that served as season finale and he got straight up killed off in the latter.

Oh his shadow was ever present, a looming threat that other characters would mention across the series, namely Ben himself, but he was most certainly not an active villain for most of the series unlike say Dr. Animo got at least one episode devoted to him in seasons 1, 2 and 4.

Last edited:

Brubarb

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I love ghost game. It doesn't need a recurrent plot, because it's interesting in and of itself. However, we know eventually they'll be going to the digital world, locating Hiro's father, and whatnot... probably. For now, it's nice to have the characters interact with each other, and continue with the horror theme. Digimon needed something new, and this is nice for me. Adventure 2020 was pretty horrible save for a few episodes.

lucemonbr

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
4 more amazing episodes. GG is perfect

Nagatem

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Betsumon face on oversized gamamon body,

betsumon: I’m gamamon

hiro: surrrrrrre you are buddy,
(locks betsumon in a jail cell)

Mon-Ohma

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I find the potential idea of Betsumon trying to impersonate Gulus hillarious. Especially if the real one turns up.

dlewis53

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So, I already saw Episode 29 (and loved it; Thetismon looks great and Kiyo/Jellymon is best team!), and the other three episodes all look interesting in their own rights.

Episode 30: It's cool that we're finally getting the animated debut of ExTyrannomon; I remember in this book I had once seeing an image of his card, and I thought he looked interesting as a stuffed Tyrannomon. Also, maybe it's just me, but any story/episode that involves dolls, puppets, or any other sort of human-like object is immediately creepy to me, so that'll be fun!

Episode 31: Hmm, so there's some sort of sword that's possessing Digimon that come into contact with it, huh? That sounds pretty neat, especially with how it's going to end up possessing Angoromon; I'm hoping it's going to lead to his Ultimate evolution (I still think it should've happened in the Digitamamon episode, but whatever). Still, this sounds like a cool premise for an episode.

Episode 32: Honestly, while I'm surprised to see the return of Betsumon in a show like this, if there's one thing this show is consistently good at, it's taking any Digimon it wants and giving a good horror angle to them, and I feel like if they manage to successfully give a Digimon like Betsumon a compelling horror take, then they'll be able to give ANY Digimon one! And so far, I'd say I'm intrigued; ultimately, it'll depend on how Betsumon's abilities are portrayed, but I do find the concept of "one day coming across someone/something that looks, sounds, and acts exactly like you and is essentially trying to take over your life for some nefarious purpose and you're literally the only one who realizes this because everyone else falls for the imposter's trick" to be a very creepy idea, so we'll see how they handle the execution of said idea.
The weird thing, i like Ghost game but dislike Adventure 2020. I'm the type who like series with big plot.
Ghost game giving same vibe as Scooby-doo, i still enjoy it and like it. I just don't understand why Adventure 2020 or other anime this day make me bored.
I like plot based shows too. But the problem with adventure 2020 is that its plot wasn't something worth caring about. It was just a generic save the world story with nothing really interesting in it. Made even worse by its mostly 1-dimensional characters with very stale personality. Ghost Game may not be plot driven, but I always look forward to its episodes much more than 2020 because of the horror Twist added and the creative ways to make Digimon terrifying. The ghost game trio is also a lot more entertaining to watch than the 2020 cast, especially the Digimon.
Personally, I think why Ghost Game works for me as a primarily episodic show is that these are essentially just a bunch of ghost stories being told, with the Digimon serving as the "ghosts", so to speak. And in that sense, I think the series works because I've been really enjoying the horror aspect that's introduced in each episode. And while there are certainly ongoing narrative elements, I'm still satisfied with how they've been doing things, and at least for now, I don't think the series has gone stale, which considering we're on the verge of 30 episodes, is pretty impressive.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Episode 32: Honestly, while I'm surprised to see the return of Betsumon in a show like this, if there's one thing this show is consistently good at, it's taking any Digimon it wants and giving a good horror angle to them, and I feel like if they manage to successfully give a Digimon like Betsumon a compelling horror take, then they'll be able to give ANY Digimon one!

You say that as if Betsumon isn’t already the creepiest-looking thing ever.

dlewis53

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Episode 32: Honestly, while I'm surprised to see the return of Betsumon in a show like this, if there's one thing this show is consistently good at, it's taking any Digimon it wants and giving a good horror angle to them, and I feel like if they manage to successfully give a Digimon like Betsumon a compelling horror take, then they'll be able to give ANY Digimon one!

You say that as if Betsumon isn’t already the creepiest-looking thing ever.
Eh, to each their own. I guess the face is kind of off-putting, but for me, Betsumon honestly seemed more silly than scary.

VamAngemon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
How would you call being in the middle of a rush-hour metro wagon / bus full of Betsumon? Horror, that's how.