Ghost Game Director Kimitoshi Chioka Interview from V-Jump, plus Ghost Game News Index

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
digimon_ghost_main.jpg

From the November issue of V-Jump, an interview with Director Kimitoshi Chioka, half of the directing team for Ghost Game.

It also provides a few short character descriptions:
Hiro Amanokawa: Seventh grader in Hazakura Private Academy who cannot turn down a request. He has a solid head on his shoulders and an inquisitive mind.
Gammamon: A highly curious individual with a tendency to bite first. His favorite food is chocolate.
Ruri Tsukiyono: Seventh grader who attends an all-girls school. She's sociable with many friends, and popular on social media.
Angoramon: Very laid-back. He likes listening to Ruri playing the piano.
Kiyoshiro Higashimitarai: Eighth grader who is dorm leader of Hazakura Academy's boys dorms. He's a genius who graduated from grad school.
Jellymon: She can slip through walls and the ground. She hates to lose.

Q: Chioka-san, when did you get involved in the production for this series?
A: Producer Sakurada-san reached out to me as the project was beginning to be planned out. This was at the time when they were thinking of having it be "episodic" with "a taste of horror." But after collecting all of the ideas that came out upon our meetings and meetings of planning, I brought these forward and submitted them as a springboard for discussion into the production of the series.

Q: What is the main concept of this series?
A: "Digimon Ghost Game" is a horror series, so the Digimon will be fashioned in the manner of yokai. The Digimon's way of life, their ideas of justice, interests, inability to harmonize with humans cause fear in humans and trouble to human life. The main characters solve these incidents. Because the Digimon will have their own original views of the world, creating this series involves reinterpreting the lore created for them by Bandai, and deciding how to show a more "horror" part out of them. Digimon are chosen for each episode not only on those details, but also based on their appearance.

Q: What kind of characters are Hiro Amanokawa and Gammamon like?
A: Even in the Digimon world, Gammamon is treated as a "new species" who has no fear or hesitation. He learns a variety of new things in the human world. He acts like how you would expect a third or fourth grader to act. Because Gammamon has a very cute design, I create the scenarios so there's always a cute scene from him in each episode. Hiro Amanokawa isn't the type to stick his own neck into incidents or cause problems, but his curiosity in incidents where Digimon are involved is what spurs him into action. He's also someone who thinks deeply before approaching a situation.

Q: What did you think when you first saw Tenya Yabuno-sensei's character designs?
A: The other characters had to go through multiple drafts, but I was immediately impressed by Kiyoshiro's design at the very first go. Hiro and Ruri's designs were finalized around him after.

Q: What to look forward to in episode 1?
"Clockmon" and what bizarre phenomena it creates will be the main story of episode 1. First, we'll be taking the time to set up exactly how Digimon create a "horror" mood. How Digimon think, interact, and move in regards to humans will be very different from how that was portrayed in previous series, and I hope the viewers enjoy it as something completely new. Various Digimon will show up after episode 2, creating all kinds of bizarre phenomena - look forward to it. We want to make this series have a really "scary" story. While Digimon have different levels of child, adult, perfect, the "scariness" of the thematic Digimon [in the episode] will change based on its level. Depending on how to story changes, Gammamon could also evolve, or the level of the opponent Digimon could increase, upping the scary factor. There will be some Digimon who can never be scary no matter how much they try though lol. Please look forward to it.

So, the main focus of the interview is discussing horror aspects, how that might work in Digimon, plus character elements. An interesting first interview from one of the directors.

Thanks to onkei for translations!

And we've gotten a lot of Ghost Game news lately, so a quick news index!

Ghost Game Key Art, Text Teaser, Show Designs, Cast, Character Info, & Cast Comments

1st Ghost Game Trailer- Just a short teaser, but the first footage of the show.

November 2021 V-Jump- Where the above interview is from, 4 pages was dedicated to Ghost Game content.

Ghost Game Dim Cards Lineup- Not the full lineups quite yet, but we have most of the Digimon appearing in the initial Ghost Game Dim Cards.

Reference Book Update- The Baby 1, Baby 2, and Child forms of the lead Digimon from Ghost Game were added to the reference book alongside profile artwork.

The Digimon Figures- Ghost Game is getting figures as part of the 'The Digimon' line. These will be standard retail releases instead of Premium Bandai. No news about releases outside of Japan yet.

Attachments

• article.jpg
    article.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 14,375

Digimonuniverse

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A horror digimon series, I hope it be a little mature as well

PCmon

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I reaaaallly hope this show doesn't end up being a "Digimon of the week" type thing without much in the way of ongoing story. Can't deny that I'm kind of worried. Still, maybe they'll go the Savers route and after a few Digimon attacks have that springboard into a more interesting plot.

Thatguy3331

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
While reading Hiro's description makes me a touch worried as to whether or not he'll be a super kid or not, I do sort of like the implication that he may have a bit of "curiosity killed the cat" syndrome. Also wow Gammamon really is continuing to give me Guilmon vibes, not that I mind, I love Guilmon, and the combo does seem to have some fun potential for their dynamic.

I wonder just how "scary" the series will turn out. I'm obviously not expecting a gore fest or anything (this is still a kids show) but I wonder if they'll lean into making situations unnerving or perhaps simply leaning into "Boo! Gotcha!" type things?

Whether it's episodic the whole way through or builds some sort of larger plot (which I imagine will happen anyway like, c'mon it's digimon this has happened every season sans hunters) as long as they make it engaging/fun I'm in.

Amandil7

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This sounds really different and intriguing. I'm here for it!

TheImpster

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm no too worried about the episodic thing. All Digimon seasons are episodic to an extent. So is Gegege no Kitaro. Doesn't stop them from being great. Also Chioka mentions how the Digimon are going to be progressively scarier, so that implies that there will be progression

BM14murph

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I reaaaallly hope this show doesn't end up being a "Digimon of the week" type thing without much in the way of ongoing story. Can't deny that I'm kind of worried. Still, maybe they'll go the Savers route and after a few Digimon attacks have that springboard into a more interesting plot.
It probably will be for the 1st half of the series and then move to the true overarching plot in the 2nd half. Similar to Tamers and Savers. Lots of anime do it similarly.

Broduliscool

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
WARNING: DO NOT WATCH DIGIMON GHOST GAME AT 3AM!!!

AquaKai

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The horror angle looks promising.
A horror digimon series, I hope it be a little mature as well
Agree!
I reaaaallly hope this show doesn't end up being a "Digimon of the week" type thing without much in the way of ongoing story.
I don't see what would be the problem with that. An episodic series of self-contained stories can be as much as entertaining if done well. Not everything needs an overarching plot with a final big baddy. Also, I think you shouldn't be too worried, as it seems from the interview it did start as an episodic series but then expanded, so it'll probably have some sort of ongoing story.

Mattman324

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't see what would be the problem with that. An episodic series of self-contained stories can be as much as entertaining if done well.
No, you don't understand, it can't be an episodic because it's cool to hate on episodics now, as though most of the biggest and most classic pieces of television weren't episodics themselves.

(MotW is a great format and I will not see it slandered.)

e105zeta

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't see what would be the problem with that. An episodic series of self-contained stories can be as much as entertaining if done well.
No, you don't understand, it can't be an episodic because it's cool to hate on episodics now, as though most of the biggest and most classic pieces of television weren't episodics themselves.

(MotW is a great format and I will not see it slandered.)
Episodic with character development can be great. With static characters it can wear out fast unless the writing is phenomenal

Mon-Ohma

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If at the very least it manages to avoid most of 2020’s pitfalls I‘ll be satisfied. Especially since it won’t have the likes of nostalgia/familiarity to fall back on.

That and giving Gammamon quadrupedal evolutions definitely will help swing things in my favour.

Kitsune_NBG

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
While Digimon have different levels of child, adult, perfect, the "scariness" of the thematic Digimon [in the episode] will change based on its level. Depending on how to story changes, Gammamon could also evolve, or the level of the opponent Digimon could increase, upping the scary factor. There will be some Digimon who can never be scary no matter how much they try though lol. Please look forward to it.
Not only they confirmed that they will use tradicional levels, these levels will be related to how scary is the digimon, what is really interesting

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Having binge watched "Gegege no Kitarou", I am ready for Ghost Game.

I'm a little skeptical of how far they'll go with this supposed "horro" theme but I'm definitely intrigued.

Quinnzel

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Reeeealllly trying not to set my expectations too high on the horror aspect, but they just keep emphasizing it...

e105zeta

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Reeeealllly trying not to set my expectations too high on the horror aspect, but they just keep emphasizing it...
It’s hard to judge by its comparisons since Kitarō itself varies from pretty dark horror to Scooby Doo/Casper depending on the story.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well this could be fun. ...What if they make new Mons based on old stories. Like maybe a Yuki-Onna or Hanako.

HeavyLeomon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There will be some Digimon who can never be scary no matter how much they try though lol
Im 100% sure that this is referring to the digimon behind the main characters in the poster.
We dont know yet if he is villainmon (who is going to have his own dim card), i think yes, but in any case, even if he isnt villainmon, it doesnt look like a full evolved mon, he just looks like an angry child lvl to me. So probably that guy is going to evolve together with the main characters and becoming stronger, due to its will to be a real menace.

TheImpster

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There will be some Digimon who can never be scary no matter how much they try though lol
Im 100% sure that this is referring to the digimon behind the main characters in the poster.
We dont know yet if he is villainmon (who is going to have his own dim card), i think yes, but in any case, even if he isnt villainmon, it doesnt look like a full evolved mon, he just looks like an angry child lvl to me. So probably that guy is going to evolve together with the main characters and becoming stronger, due to its will to be a real menace.
So... Impmon