Ghost Game Cast Update- Ghost Navigator played by Naoto Takenaka

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
naototakenaka_september30_2021.jpg

Our first Ghost Game cast update from outside of the main cast!

Naoto Takenaka has been announced as the narrator (2), who will be referred to as the 'Ghost Navigator'.

The description given of the Ghost Navigator:
Naoto Takenaka is the 'Ghost Navigator' who will guide you through the world of Ghost Game.
He will appear regularly in the show.
The Ghost Navigator appears at the beginning of every episode to introduce viewers to the world of Digimon Ghost Game. It is not clear if he is a human, a Digimon, or a different type of creature. He also appears in previews for the next weeks episode, and has unique and slightly ironic lines directed at the audience to make him it a memorable role.
Recording took place in Tokyo this month in a relaxed atmosphere, with Takenaka playing the role with his unique tone of voice, a mixture of gravely with occasionally frightening and perhaps chilling.

Comment from:
Digimon Characters are so cute & like dreams. I'm looking forward to being the navigator! It's a little bit scary, so as someone who likes horror stories, I'm excited to see what it ill be like each time. As the navigator and want to keep the excitement high each week and make it fun.

Takanaka was Shiki in One Piece, Franz in the live action drama version of Nodame Cantabile, Entei in Pokemon movie 3, and a number of other roles including but not limited to: the Japanese voice of Puss in Boots in the Shrek films and Nick Fury in The Avengers.

It sounds like they want us to have the impression that the Navigator is a character somewhere in the world, so it'll be interesting to see if that is used in show in any way.

Ghost Game will be simulcast outside of Japan beginning this weekend, details can be found here.

Attachments

• article.jpg
    article.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 6,930

shynely

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Is he gonna be like Takeru?

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Interesting that they are building the role of the narrator up more than they did in previous seasons.
If "appears regularly in the show" is taken as separate from the mention of intros and outros, maybe there'll be a bit more narration all around (although it might also just indicate a "Digimon analyzer" kind of situation).
Generally, I feel narration can help with adding more personality to a story but I can really only think of two anime that had some memorable narration outside summaries and previews, Hunter x Hunter during the Chimera Ant arc (which I would argue would have been much less engrossing and really messy without slowing things down down and providing all the insights the narration) and Mob Psycho 100 where most of the narration was comedic. So I'm not sure how much I want to expect here; Needless to say, if the narration is pointless hand holding or if "unique and ironic" is just code for him pushing the moral of the episode down the audience's throat I'm not going to be a fan.
Also, if he exists as a character in the show my gut feeling is that he'll turn out to be Hiro's mysteriously missing dad.

Tarama

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So it's not just a nickname. Interesting.

GoldenEXP

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Im happy they are giving it some focus, I thought it was weird how they used a big name VA like Nozawa for Adventure 2020s narration and that was just kinda there
I wonder if by "appears" they mean he has a design and everything when speaking
Also, this guy was in Kamen Rider Ghost which feels pretty intentional

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well hope this works. Let's hope he isn't annoying or anything.

Ricardolindo

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Is he gonna be like Takeru?

Not to deviate from the topic, but is there any proof Takeru narrated anything other than the 02 epilogue? We know he wrote books about their adventures but is there any proof he was the narrator of Adventure and 02?
I also know the voice actor for the narrator and adult Takeru was the same. Maybe that's proof.

Last edited:

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's generally inferred rather than stated, but the recap for the last episode also has the narrator speaking as one of the Chosen Children. Also, the only episode title to use a first-person pronoun in it is episode 12 of the first series ("Adventure - Patamon and I").

Ricardolindo

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's generally inferred rather than stated, but the recap for the last episode also has the narrator speaking as one of the Chosen Children. Also, the only episode title to use a first-person pronoun in it is episode 12 of the first series ("Adventure - Patamon and I").

What recap are you refering to? There is no recap for the last episodes of Adventure and 02 precisely because they were the last ones.
With that said, I agree Takeru is the narrator.

Also, at least in the Portuguese dub, the voice at the very end of the epilogue sounded like Daisuke, not Takeru.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The various dubs did narration various ways. I'm talking about the original version, and was referring to the little recap at the start of episode 50, after the opening.