Gen 1 Games Coming to Virtual Console 2016

Are you getting one?

• Total voters

Rika24

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Not sure how many of you guys know this, but Pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow will be available for digital download from the Nintendo eShop sometime in 2016 (hopefully early). I believe the price will be $11 each.

So who will be getting at least one game? i know i will, but i'm unsure which to buy since i plan on only buying one. Blue was my original Gen 1 game but Yellow had the better look... yet these seem to come with extra features like themes, so Red version looks good since it would bring Charmander/Charizard themed bonuses.

anyways, i hope these do well enough that they offer Gen 2 like this since i can no longer play any of my physical copies due to batteries dying. *cries* i miss Crystal most, it was my favorite game until HeartGold and SoulSilver came out.

Digi-Goddess92

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well hopefully if they do a free download, I'll get it (I feel your pain Rika, my Pokemon crystal no longer works due to the file being corrupted)

Dianne Renard

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Only if they were free or were only for $2 a piece at max. Those games aged awfully and if I wanted them I would just play the GBA enhanced versions.

saifors

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
All the old VC games on the eshop go for about 5$.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't think I'd get any. Those 2DSes they have with them are nice. Clear. But I like the Green the most. Which is funny. But I was never big on remakes or re-releases. Plus they might patch the Missingno cheat.

Rika24

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
oh i hope they don't patch it.

Rika24

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
i know i'm double posting, but i gotta bump this topic since it's just been announced that there will be special New 3DS released featuring Charizard or Blastoise depending on the pre-installed version of the game in February in the US.

http://www.pokemon20.com/en-us/products.html#pokemon-red-pokemon-blue-and-pokemon-yellow

well, if i manage to get my hands on one of these (can special editions be pre-ordered?) i'll most definitely be getting Charizard, so Red version it is i guess. although, since i was planning on getting a 3DS XL originally i might try to trade in my 3DS for this if i can.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I just got a regular sized New model 3DS! I'd so trade for that Blastoise faceplate though.

Vande

V-Tamer Vande
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Posts mentioning the discussiong of emlulation have been removed. It's illegal something that you all know we don't allow on the forum. Any further continuation of emulation discussion will be removed.

Wayward Veemon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My brother was trying to get me to get I think Pokemon Red Version. But to be honest, I don't really want to deal with Gen 1 at the moment. It's just not the right one for me. But I'd totally get a Gen 2 or 3 re-release. I MUST HAVE THE MUDKIP!

Rock on!

KariKamiyaFTW

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The lack of love for Yellow is disturbing XD

Only if they were free or were only for $2 a piece at max. Those games aged awfully and if I wanted them I would just play the GBA enhanced versions.
I hear people say this but I don't see it. The only games that look awful in terms of age to me are N64 and PS1 games (not all mind you) Like OoT I find looks terrible. As does MGS 1

Last edited by a moderator:

Trilby1992

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Pixel art is bordering on timeless these days. I would say the game mechanics are dated since it's been improved upon in later games. Unlike Final Fantasy for example, each generation of Pokemon games adds more to the same formula.

Bartz

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I hear people say this but I don't see it. The only games that look awful in terms of age to me are N64 and PS1 games (not all mind you) Like OoT I find looks terrible. As does MGS 1
It's not the graphics (well, not completely), it's the mechanics. Gen 1's mechanics are very outdated compared to recent games as it lacks features such as the physical-special split and the special split, and it has a lot of balance issues such as Psychic types being horribly broken and frozen status lasting the entire battle unless you brought an Ice Heal or the opponent used a fire move (which made moves like Blizzard ridiculously good). The games were the first of their kind and it shows, and it hinders them pretty badly from a modern perspective.

Last edited:

Rika24

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
GameStop is sold out of preorders for the bundle, does anyone know where else they allow preorders?

Hikeda

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There have been too many advancements in gameplay, that many people have brought up already that make me unable to justify the download. For me this main reasons why I wouldn't download would be:
1. Running (I love me some fancy sneakers)
2. Physical/Special split
3. EV/IV training
4. Inability to work with PokeBank

Now the last one would have been a saving grace. If the ability existed to transfer anything from these downloaded versions to your bank - then maybe I could justify grinding out some ol'time mons, the way I used to do it back in the day - But to have this just become a save state, unable to transfer out mons, why wouldn't I just hook up my SuperGameBoy to the TV and play it all on the comfort of my big screen, feeling super nostalgic using a real cartridge that may have needed to be blown out to really get working.

I guess that if you're in the market for a new device as it is, it wouldn't be so bad to have a themed handheld. That is always buyers prerogative - but for me, poor timing.

unno, just my two cents... from a gen 1'er

Last edited:

Rika24

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
i got Blue version, currently i'm in Pewter City trying to recreate my original team (as well as i remember it anyways, have yet to catch a Pikachu or male Nidoran though).

DontStopPataPata

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I downloaded Red off Virtual Console. Still fun. Don't get the "they've aged badly" comments. The games show their age, yeah, but I can't say they age badly. Then again I don't care about the Physical/Special split or
EV ans IVs and never saw the point of running shoes when the bike serves the same
purpose. There's some annoying aspects like Wrap or the in story saying Ghost beats Psychic when the opposite is true because of a glitch but nothing that makes the game unplayable.

I honestly prefer them over the GBA remakes because of the fun glitches to exploit and because the GBA remakes had this overwhelming need to hold your hand every step of the way and explain every little detail.

Lord Starfish

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I honestly prefer them over the GBA remakes because of the fun glitches to exploit and because the GBA remakes had this overwhelming need to hold your hand every step of the way and explain every little detail.
Eh... the hand-holding in the GBA games was really only a problem right at the start. Once you're past the first rival-battle, any further hand-holding they added was entirely optional. Personally I just prefer the remakes because they're a lot better balanced-- Psychic was disgustingly overpowered in Gen 1.

...Also the sprites were hideously off-model at times (Backwards J Metapod, obese Blastoise, Koffing's incorrectly placed crossbones mark etc ). Seriously, how did it take them till Yellow before they managed to get the Pokemon actually looking like Sugimori's designs?

DontStopPataPata

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I never thought the Psychics were overpowered. The Alakazam line had terrible defenses so normally all I had to do against Sabrina and my rival's Alakazam was hit fast and hard and I normally one-shot them sometimes two. Didn't think twice about Psychic type
being broken till I read it online *shrug*

I'll give you the sprites. The back sprites anyways. The front sprites even how rough they look were fine. But some backsprites were ugly as sin to the point I flat out refuse to use certain Pokemon in battle (Ekans and Vulpix immediately come to mind)