Fusion or Xros Wars?

Noirangel00

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've only seen a few episodes of Xros, so I guess I can't actually have too much of a base knowledge on this topic, but so far I'm a much bigger fan of Fusion (which I've watched every one of about five times). I don't know if it's because I watched Fusion first or what, but the Japanese sub version just seems too literal and over-simplified. Like they don't really do sarcasm or anything like they do in the dub version. I feel this way towards a few other shows too (Sword Art Online's the only one that comes to mind). Am I the only one who feels this way?

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I haven't watched Fusion, but judging from what I've read of other people's reactions, it suffers from the usual Digimon dub weakness of constantly inserting lame attempts at humor regardless of the situation (along with assorted censorship and name change stupidity). The original versions of Digimon anime are always better in my opinion.

D-Tamer

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't like hentai so I'm going with neither.

Vande

V-Tamer Vande
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't like hentai so I'm going with neither.
Uh, neither are hentai. Sure Mervamon is rather suggestive, but far from Hentai.

As for me, it's a mixture of both. Mostly for the music, being able to appreciate the original. The dub for not having Taiki as an outright stu

Inpu

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The emotional range feels more natural to me, as an American, and I don't doubt that's simply culture shock rather than an actual objective difference in quality.

The rampant inconsistency in how anything is named is intensely frustrating to the point of distraction, though. Imagine if you were watching Spiderman 2 and Doctor Octopus kept claiming he was Spiderman.

Sabrblade

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Xros Wars. For all of the original's flaws, the dub just piled more on top of them. And for all of the original's best aspects, the dub either lessened them or removed them outright. Fusion is a washed down, halfhearted, neutered version of the original story.

A recent example of the dub's typical handiwork came in the latest two episodes, in which virtually all of the emotional weight in Ballistamon's trying to get Shoutmon back from Olegmon, and then in Shoutmon's trying to do the same for Ballistamon in the next episode, was completely watered down and reduced to a much happier tone of cheekiness, as though the dubbers feel that kids can't handle emotional and character-heavy situations. Not to mention that it was literally Ballistamon's only time in the spotlight where his character got to be explored, and yet the dub took out practically all of the substance it had in the original.

Last edited:

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Imagine if you were watching Spiderman 2 and Doctor Octopus kept claiming he was Spiderman.
That was the 2013 comic storyline for Spider-Man actually.

Lets see we got a 10 year old girl, Mervamon and what ever that weird thing was on lilithmon.
If you want to make an actual complaint about one version of the show or another, feel free, otherwise, move along to a different topic.

Bartz

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's a mix for me. I prefer the dub for some things like Taiki and the voice acting, while other aspects I feel the Japanese version is better like the music.

Paruseruru mafubu

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I love Colleen O'Shaughnessey as the voice of Akari and the Monitamon in Fusion but the original is the best by far no contest. It's the great music in Xros Wars that was lost in the English adaptation, especially Legend Xros Heart and We Are Xros Heart X7 Ver., so I agree with what TMS said. That's why I liked the Malaysian Disney XD dub instead of the North American version, at least the kept the original score and was much closer to the original script even if the voiceovers weren't always good.

D-Tamer

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Imagine if you were watching Spiderman 2 and Doctor Octopus kept claiming he was Spiderman.
That was the 2013 comic storyline for Spider-Man actually.
And it was also a storyline for a canceled Spider-Man movie. Life is weird like that.

Lets see we got a 10 year old girl, Mervamon and what ever that weird thing was on lilithmon.
If you want to make an actual complaint about one version of the show or another, feel free, otherwise, move along to a different topic.
Do you really want me to make a 2 hour video about the fanservice alone?

Vande

V-Tamer Vande
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
One version or the other. There is a thread for what you don't like in xros. There is a thread for what you don't like in Fusion. So if you want to complain about the fan service in Xros, then use the correct thread.

CloneWarrior

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wasn't that a pitch for a Spider-Man film at one point? That Doc Ock would have bitten by the same spider and would go around claiming he was Spider-Man?

Edit: Whoops, missed D-Tamer's comment on the subject.

On topic, I'd have to say the line that really turned me off the dub was Angie telling Jeremy that he didn't know Japanese.

The original is far superior, even if it is a pretty bad show.

Last edited:

Sabrblade

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh, that's another thing. Akari was just an ordinary, not so great but not so bad character in Xros Wars, but Fusion turned Angie into being downright detestable. From constantly complaining all the time, to being self-aware of her sometimes being mean and not doing anything to better herself, to explicitly wishing in episode 10 that Mikey had let Shoutmon die back in episode 1, to thinking that unfunny moose jokes are somehow funny, to insulting Jeremy's knowledge of Japanese (when she herself is Japanese just like him)... Angie has just been awful compared to Akari. I'd rather be indifferent towards a character (like Akari) instead of finding said character revolting (like Angie).

Trilby1992

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I get nostalgic from listening to any of the Xros Wars openings so Xros Wars for me.

Noirangel00

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That's why I liked the Malaysian Disney XD dub instead of the North American version, at least the kept the original score and was much closer to the original script even if the voiceovers weren't always good.
Wait, so there are TWO dubbed versions? Man, I've really gotta catch up. I think that a big part of why I've liked the American version is just the voice cast. They fit the characters better somehow, in sacrifice of the lower quality story.

Vande

V-Tamer Vande
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wait, so there are TWO dubbed versions? Man, I've really gotta catch up. I think that a big part of why I've liked the American version is just the voice cast. They fit the characters better somehow, in sacrifice of the lower quality story.
Digimon Fusion Battles. And personally, after seeing a bit of it, i dropped it. The voices were damn awful. No soul at all.