Fully Numbered DigiDex Project

TibJib

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've started this project to create a full Pokemon-style DigiDex. As far as I can tell, no one else has done this, and I wanted to see how the franchises compared when arranged in a similar way. Found some interesting discoveries along the way.

I used Year of Introduction and the Anime seasons to sort everything out, with the start of a new season marking the start of a new generation. Strangely enough, the new Digimon Adventure remake basically marks the 8th Generation for Digimon, so it isn't that far behind really. Beyond that, I decided to arrange them in the Dex from lowest level to highest level. If I tried to arrange it by Digivolution lines, it would have kinda been a mess, since there are so many Digimon that don't have official lines...Anyway, here is a Google Doc with the full list, currently ending with 957 entries.

I've excluded most "Digital Lifeforms" from the list, along with a few Digimon that only had one-off appearances in games, manga, toys, or v-pets. I've used a mix of English and Japanese names, in some cases using them to differentiate between similar forms of the same Digimon. For example, MegaKabuterimon (Red) and AlturKabuterimon (Blue). My next steps will be to write out PokeDex-style entries for each Digimon and create an interactive PDF or something similar, to have a visual display for all this data.

The biggest problem I'm having now is deciding if certain Digimon should keep their own Dex number, or be considered an alternate form under the same Dex number as the original. For example, I currently have Agumon and Agumon (2006) as seperate Dex entries, but the argument could be made for them both being under the same Dex number, with the 2006 version being an alternate form. Same goes for a lot of the recolors, like BlackGabumon and Psychemon. Given that the franchise usually treats these Digimon as their own entities, many times with unique evolutionary lines, I'm inclined to have them keep their separate Dex numbers, but I'm still going back and forth with it a bit. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Quinlan58

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
First, wow, that's impressive.

A couple questions:
  • Why are Growmon and BlackGrowmon two separate entries, but Growmon (Orange) just a sub-species?
  • Why are both forms of Belphemon separate entries, but both forms of Duftmon the same entry with variants?
  • Why is Shademon on a "level" above Luminamon, when Luminamon is explicitely its evolution?

TibJib

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So with Growlmon, that was one of those things I wasn't sure about. BlackGrowlmon has a full evolution line, and lore-wise ChaosGallantmon has some significance. Growlmon (Orange) and its evolution are kinda just there? Though you could argue MedievalGallantmon is its canon evolution...anyway, it mostly seems to just be a recolor for enemy variety in games, so I wasn't sure if that line warranted its own Dex number. Same with the Silver Kyubimon line. That's my reasoning at least, but that's one of the ones I've been going back and forth on. I might just give them their own Dex numbers again...

To me, Duftmon's Leopard Mode always seemed more like a slide evolution that wasn't really more powerful, just another form, with perhaps more emphasis on speed. He's basically like a transformer from Beast Wars. Belphemon however is explicitly stated to have a huge power gap between his forms, so it made sense to make Rage Mode a "Burst" level Digimon. I can see the argument for making them the same Dex entry though.

As for Shademon, chalk that up to me being unfamiliar with that particular manga. From the summaries I've read, I interpreted it as Shademon being a corruption of Luminamon, that reverted when cleansed. Luminamon seemed to be a Child level, so I made Shademon a dark evolution at the Adult level. I fully admit that I could have this completely wrong.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Why is the anime the basis? very few Digimon *debut* in the anime, and Digimon doesn't really do "generations", that's just trying to shoehorn a Pokemon style thing in. Excluding monsters seems silly to me as well. And this is the sort of thing where people think Cannonbeemon is a new Digimon cuz it made its anime debut in 2020

anyway this guy spent a few months including most (if not all) Digimon in order of debut, so I guess you could just number them from here: https://twitter.com/HetreaSky/status/1251918555391627267

also the best way to sort them IMO, is how the games do it. Level and then alphabet. So you'd start with Fresh/A-Z, then Rookie A-Z, and so forth. And yes, this would alter the numbers for every new debut.

Oh and Leopard Mode is a 25 memory Mega in CS, whilst base is a 22 memory Mega - so LM is actually more powerful than the base form.

How did you get confused with Shademon and Luminamon? their levels are listed in every place they appear.

You have Cerberusmon higher up, list Werewolf as an alternate form, then have Werewolf as its own form further down.

Last edited:

TibJib

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Using the Anime seasons as the cut-offs for each generation because they're typically the biggest milestones the series has, similar to the games for Pokemon. I am specifically designing this to be a counterpart to the PokeDex, so that's a lot of the reason it's arranged this way. Splitting into generations means the numbers don't change for every new debut, and not doing it alphabetically gives it the same sort of feel that the PokeDex has with it's numbering. At least that was my intent, not sure how well it works in practice.

As for the exclusions, not sure how best to handle that. While "Digital Lifeforms", like the D-Reaper, I'm pretty confident about excluding since they aren't really Digimon, I wasn't sure about some others. A large part of it came down to many of them being one-off Digimon that didn't have much significance, or were specifically a joke. The biggest problem for me was lack of official artwork, since that would be hard to work around when it came time for me to design the visual part of this. I might go back and include some of them...

Not sure where I got confused about Luminamon. I wanna say it was listed as Child level on something in the past, but I can't remember where. I'll just have to fix that. Also fix Cerberusmon as well. Probably had the Werewolf Mode in a later list because of it's debut year and forgot to remove it after I put it as an alternate form for the original.

B-mon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I am/was in the middle of doing something similar; not as crazy-ambitious as designing a Pokédex PDF, but a list(or chart) of Digimon in some sort of "generation" order. I made the choice to use either the virtual pets, Digivices, or the Card Game as a cut-off point for "generations"; ignoring any anime/manga debuts, i.e. "generation 1" would be the Digital Monster series, "gen 2" the Pendulums and the first Digimon World, "gen 3" the D-3 plus games/cards released around the same time, etc. One example of the weirdness of doing that though, is Diablomon's line. The full thing debuts in the War Game film, but if you don't want to use that, the line becomes dispersed. Keramon and Chrysalimon appear in one Booster pack while Infermon and Diablomon are in the next, so there's a handful of Digimon inbetween them. Tsumemon and Kuramon show up in the D-Terminal, so they are way ahead. It's odd-looking.

My list also forgoes recolors unless they debuted together, i.e. no Tsukaimon because Patamon was first, but Goblimon, Shamamon, and SnowGoblimon all appear in Digimon World, so who's the "recolor" if they're there at the same time? There are issues with doing this, though(Is SuperStarmon a recolor, or do the shades make him different enough? If sunglasses are enough to constitute a different Digimon, what about NiseDrimogemon's fake mustache? Rapidmon Perfect and Rapidmon Armor are differentiated by level and power[Armor is Ultimate-class]; is that a strong mark of differentiation? And I know I said earlier to ignore the anime, but for what it's worth, Rapidmon Armor seems to vastly larger than the Perfect one; is size a good differentiation? How big do Icemon and Insekimon have to be to not be considered recolors of Gottsumon? My head hurts)

BeelzebumonBlastMode

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Just a quick skim of the list and looks like you've missed off RedVegimon.

Also surprised you didnt exclude ModokiBetamon or the (Core) digimon.

I made my own digi-dex style thing but its not really in an easy to read format. Its a whole program that does it with all the digimon in an xml file it reads out of. And my list of digimon is definitely out of date now.

You've also included Orochimon in the first generation when I think it makes more sense for him to appear later on. He was only a contest winner back then he didnt have a "true" appearance til Tamers if I remember rightly.

Why'd you decide to exclude Gizmon but not the Vemmon line?

Brilliant list though, must have been some effort.

Last edited: