Full Color Digimon Dot Sprites

Tortoiseshel

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is a little project I've been working on for several months now, but only recently starting sharing with other people. I love the little 16x16 v-pet sprites and have been collecting as many of them as I can find, everything from art book scans (thank you Marc 😊), photos and videos of other people's v-pets, and video game rips. As of now, I've compiled full color sprite sheets for 200 Digimon. Here's a sample:

samples.png

And here's a Google Drive where anyone can download them to use however they like.

But I also have a little request for help from anyone who has access to any Digimon LCD devices that use 16x16 pixel sprites (except for the original Digital Monster or the Digital Monster Ver. 20th): If anyone wants to take photos/videos of their devices showing the sprites I need, I can draw something for you as thanks for helping me grow my collection. I know I don't post my art online very often, so here's a small sample of some rather quick sketches:

drawing_samples.png

I'd be more than happy to draw anything you want, within reason of course, although please be warned that my artistic abilities aren't exactly in their best shape right now for mostly mental health reasons, and that you'd be getting what you "paid for". As long as it's not something not work-safe, hateful, or like, super complicated/detailed, I'm willing to draw anything. My comfort bubble is usually things like people, characters, organic creatures, and fashion as opposed to like, landscapes or mechanical stuff; but again, I'll try anything (within reason) for help with my collection.

There's a spreadsheet in the Google Drive showing exactly which sprites I'm looking for from which devices. A lot of them are sleeping and sick/injured sprites, since most people showing off their Digimon on Youtube/Twitter/Discord aren't interested in showing those off compared to battles and evolution. Huge thanks in advance for anyone who wants to help me at all!

AquaKai

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wow, great collection!
As a fellow sprite enthusiast, if I could help, I would.
From what I saw, you are coloring the original v-pet sprites, not using those (already colored) you can find in videogames. That's great!
Also I'm curious, when coloring how do you choose the right color? Because I tried something like this once, but with the bigger 24x32 sprites, and I struggled a bit to find a satisfying method.

Tortoiseshel

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I finally found scans of the Digital Monster Ver. X art book, which means like 100+ new Digimon with complete animations! It's gonna take a while to color them all of course, but it's a huge get!

Wow, great collection!
From what I saw, you are coloring the original v-pet sprites, not using those (already colored) you can find in videogames. That's great!
Also I'm curious, when coloring how do you choose the right color? Because I tried something like this once, but with the bigger 24x32 sprites, and I struggled a bit to find a satisfying method.
Thanks, glad you like them! I usually get the colors from the already colored dot sprites from Cyber Sleuth, ReArise, Digimon World, etc. but if none exists, I'll usually try to pick colors from other official sprites and color them myself. In particular, Digimon Adventure 02: D1 Tamers has sprites that seem to be like, slightly higher-res versions of the original v-pet sprites aesthetically. But mostly it's a lot of trial and error until I get something I think looks good.

Those sprites you did should be on a V-Pet online game.
Aww, thank you! I am actually planning on making a little life sim game with these sprites as a Python-learning exercise. It'll probably be a while before that project bears any substantial fruit, though.

AquaKai

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'll usually try to pick colors from other official sprites and color them myself. In particular, Digimon Adventure 02: D1 Tamers has sprites
We seem to use the same method, then. I started using DA02:-D1T sprites too, after having trouble picking only one hue per color from the artwork.

Kyaromonfan96

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I finally found scans of the Digital Monster Ver. X art book, which means like 100+ new Digimon with complete animations! It's gonna take a while to color them all of course, but it's a huge get!

Wow, great collection!
Thanks, glad you like them! I usually get the colors from the already colored dot sprites from Cyber Sleuth, ReArise, Digimon World, etc. but if none exists, I'll usually try to pick colors from other official sprites and color them myself. In particular, Digimon Adventure 02: D1 Tamers has sprites that seem to be like, slightly higher-res versions of the original v-pet sprites aesthetically. But mostly it's a lot of trial and error until I get something I think looks good.

Those sprites you did should be on a V-Pet online game.
Aww, thank you! I am actually planning on making a little life sim game with these sprites as a Python-learning exercise. It'll probably be a while before that project bears any substantial fruit, though.
Can you do some more sprites for the Digimon?

Tortoiseshel

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My spriting quest continues, and I'm getting more and more confident with my abilities that I've begun making full sheets for Digimon that originally only had the World/Cyber Sleuth/ReArise-style battle sprites. So far I've done Jyarimon, Pusumon, Gigimon, Pusurimon, Penmon, Kyubimon, Yanmamon, and Gryzmon (+recolors). I've even done a few that didn't have any sprites, although they're all babies so far and heavily based on pre-existing sprites: Relemon, Dokimon, Sunamon, Pokomon, Bibimon, and Goromon. Also, as you can see in my avatar, I've started making sprites for my own fan Digimon as well! I probably won't be sharing those online as they're kinda my babies, but I will be including them in any games/programming exercises as I am nothing if not self-indulgent c:

I'll usually try to pick colors from other official sprites and color them myself. In particular, Digimon Adventure 02: D1 Tamers has sprites
We seem to use the same method, then. I started using DA02:-D1T sprites too, after having trouble picking only one hue per color from the artwork.
Haha, nice. If nothing else, they're a good reference for things like shading, which I tend to struggle with.
Sorry, I don't quite know what you mean? I'm always working on new sprites and uploading them to the Google Drive as soon as I finish them. If there's any Digimon you'd like to see in particular, I can maybe see about getting them done sooner.

Kyaromonfan96

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My spriting quest continues, and I'm getting more and more confident with my abilities that I've begun making full sheets for Digimon that originally only had the World/Cyber Sleuth/ReArise-style battle sprites. So far I've done Jyarimon, Pusumon, Gigimon, Pusurimon, Penmon, Kyubimon, Yanmamon, and Gryzmon (+recolors). I've even done a few that didn't have any sprites, although they're all babies so far and heavily based on pre-existing sprites: Relemon, Dokimon, Sunamon, Pokomon, Bibimon, and Goromon. Also, as you can see in my avatar, I've started making sprites for my own fan Digimon as well! I probably won't be sharing those online as they're kinda my babies, but I will be including them in any games/programming exercises as I am nothing if not self-indulgent c:

Haha, nice. If nothing else, they're a good reference for things like shading, which I tend to struggle with.
Sorry, I don't quite know what you mean? I'm always working on new sprites and uploading them to the Google Drive as soon as I finish them. If there's any Digimon you'd like to see in particular, I can maybe see about getting them done sooner.
I wanna see the Kyaromon sprite.

Tortoiseshel

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, Kyaromon does have an official sprite so you're in luck! Only thing is it's only on the Digivice iC 20X, which not as many people have/wanna show off online compared to the various Pendulums or the Digital Monster X for example. But, I will keep my eye on it for you!

AquaKai

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
they're a good reference for things like shading, which I tend to struggle with.
Yeah, shading... That may be a bit out of my abilities... 😅

I was wondering if you organize the sprites with all the animations in a spritesheet and then add color or if you color them one by one and then make a sheet... Because it would be cool to have finally access to all the animations for b&w sprites, in particular those ones you can't find anywhere else (like the PenZ).

Tortoiseshel

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If I'm understanding you correctly, I do color them first and then put them in a 3x4 sprite sheet and upload them like that. But sometimes I'll get bored of waiting and color some of the sprites even if I don't have all of them yet. Honestly, my collection is pretty messy up until they get uploaded.

I could upload black and white sprite sheets if you want me to. I'm personally not as interested in those as the colored ones, but I do have them and could do it.

AquaKai

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yep, if you could upload the black and white it would be great, but only if it's not a bother.
I think yours would become one of the biggest and most important collection of 16x16 sprites ever with them.

Tortoiseshel

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well when you put it like that :p

Okay, I'll go ahead and put a separate folder for black and white sprites in the Drive and start uploading those.

Also 1k views on this thread yay!

Kyaromonfan96

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
While you do Kyaromon, You should make some sprites from Fusion like Starmon '10 or Cutemon.

Tortoiseshel

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I plan on it! I've already made Kozenimon, and I have some sprites from the Xros Wars Mini and Digimon Catch Ganbare Monitamon! toy to start making sheets for Starmons, Cutemon, etc.

Tortoiseshel

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
As of now, I have completed and uploaded 338 colored Digimon sprite sheets! If you discount recolors, it's probably closer to about 290, which is still quite a lot! I've also uploaded 300 black and white sheets, including several I haven't got around to coloring yet. Some of them include frames I made/edited to fill them out, and a couple sheets I even made from scratch, all of which is noted in the file descriptions in the drive just in case anyone is only interested in 100% official Bandai artwork, or something :p

Looks like this thread has 2,000 views now, wow! I'm glad other people seem to be as interested in tiny Digimon sprites as I am! I'll keep working on them as I can~