Found something interesting on original vpet "cheat" 1997

vairo

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So, someone on this forum mentioned this about 10 years ago, and I could not reply to the post, so I am making a new one here:

The person said,
"A rumour we had as kids was that the ease of raising a Monzaemon is dependent on the lettering at the back of the v-pet. C makes it easiest (tab-cheating as well as the normal way).

Then again it's just speculation."

After messing around with a bunch of version 1's that I have, I can confirm at the very least that the vpet with letter "C" marked on the back of the casing DOES produce instant Monzaemon better than other ones like "B", "D", and "R". The instant Monzaemon came with 99 years and 0 lbs that turn into 99lbs if you feed him anything. It also came with an empty energy bar, but it could battle a couple of times. After a night's sleep, it now has a full energy bar and everything seems normal, except the 99 years old part. "D" was also susceptible to other glitches, but in the end, gave me an Agumon with 4 years with a full energy bar. But "R" just won't glitch as much as the other two letters for some reason.

Also, "C" and "D" have slightly different training sounds and animation than the "R." They are both faster and cuts to the happy/sad animation noticeably faster. Their battle animations are also slightly faster too.

This is just an anecdote in the end, and this doesn't really confirm anything about the meaning of these letters on the casings, but I can at least see why the rumor was a thing.

BladeSabre

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The letter is probably the case version, and might not even be guaranteed to match up with what's inside.

How many of these do you have? Are they all in English? (IIRC, the Japanese ones don't have letters.)

There are two varieties confirmed of the English V1.

vairo

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They are all in English and I have 4 of them. Judging from the characteristics I mentioned above, 2 of the 4 are similar, and the other two are similar to each other. May I know what the two varieties are and how they are different (are there other characteristics)?

BladeSabre

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
On the regular variety (and Japanese), filling the strength hearts increases the power value in battle. The "weak" variety fails to take account of the strength hearts here. You can't normally see this number. The "weak" variety is probably weaker in battle, but you would need a lot of battles to know...

The energy overfill is different.
(Note: every 4 vitamins increase energy by 1. The 0-3 vitamins counter is saved across evolution. You don't have to worry about the 0-3 counter provided you give a multiple of 4 vitamins.)
On the regular variety (and Japanese), overfilling the energy by 10 resets it to the default value. With any Digimon except Monzaemon or the babies, let it sleep overnight, give 40 vitamins (energy offset from the default +10 -> +0), battle once, and it will lose an energy bar (-1). Give another 40 vitamins (+9), battle once more, and it won't lose an energy bar (+8). Give another 8 vitamins (+10 -> +0), battle once more, and it will lose an energy bar (-1).
On the weak variety, the energy can be filled to 99 without any wrapping, the meter visibly overflows to the right, and Digimon with 10 or 20 default energy will overflow the meter into the top-right followed by the bottom-left corner at high numbers. For 20-energy Digimon, the first bar in the top-right appears at 84 energy (256 vitamins from default). It's 42 energy for Numemon.

The walk animations differ by one frame. Shortly before snapping at the right-hand side, the weak one turns to the left one frame earlier than the regular (and Japanese). This is surprisingly hard to see, so I suggest filming it. I couldn't see it for a while even after I knew what to look for. It's only visible on non-symmetrical Digimon.

There are differences in the PCB layout which so far also seem to match up. The difference is visible down the battery holes without opening up the case. More info is needed here, so if you could post pics, that would be great.

Last edited: