Forum settings you should know

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpwong

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'll do this one first since you may have missed it, and it's important if you don't want spam bots indexing your e-mail address.
Goto Account Related Settings and check off the box next to "Hide email address from public?".  If this is not checked off, your e-mail address will display in your profile and any web crawler bots can aquire your e-mail.

This board does let you use quick reply.  HOWEVER, it is off by default.
To enable this feature, goto your profile, and click Look and Layout Preferences
Scroll down and change "Use quick reply on topic display:" from "don't show at all" to "show, on by default"

Time Offset:  The boards are by default GMT-8 (Pacific).  To adjust your time zone, add 8 to your current timezone.  For example
People in GMT-5 need to place "3" in the box
People in GMT-0 need to place "8" in the box
People in GMT-9 need to place "-1" in the box

Return to topic after posting:  Forum default will send you back to the subforum rather than the thread like on the old forums.  If you would like to see the thread after you post rather than the forum, goto Look and Layout Preferences and check the box that's next to "Return to topics after posting by default".

Pop up alert on new PM: Goto Personal Message Options and check the box next to "Show a popup when you receive new messages"

jpwong

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I again want to say, I can't stress enough the Hide E-mail checkbox. Looking at the userlist, approximatly half of you are still displaying your e-mail addresses for the world to see.

Stuart444

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
you could always have them like i have mines (for my msn name anyway)

stuart444(at)hotmail(dot)co(dot)uk

wouldn't that be better? o_O so it wouldn't matter if they were hidden or not

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
email gathering bots often can be set to know that (at) and other stuff mean @, so its possible it wont matter

jpwong

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Plus if you set it like that, you will not get your registration e-mail, therefore if you screw up your password, you won't know what it is.

Izkata

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Stuart444 said:
stuart444(at)hotmail(dot)co(dot)uk
Or: stuart444HATEShotmailSPAMcoBOTSuk or something ;D

vipertongn

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
i dont really care if ppl know my email...but if there are spammers...i will take it out.

whimyang

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
vipertongn said:
i dont really care if ppl know my email...but if there are spammers...i will take it out.
Yeah, me too. But it seems really pointless to hide our emails when we just give it out with the msn messenger thingy... =(

Rizu

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thanks for telling us how to adjust our time zone. I would definitely hide my email, I don't want any of those stupid spam bots sending me crap.

jpwong

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's more if you have a regular e-mail and then one for msn.  Publicly displaying your e-mail is a good way to get spam.  So if you have ISP specific e-mail addresses, it's probably better to enable the hiding.

If it's an account that's already fairly public (MSN, Hotmail, etc) that you're already displaying and using for MSN, well, keeping it public probably isn't a huge deal.

Toraneko

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Is there any way to turn off daylight saving? The current time shows it one hour ahead of the actual time here.

shikurunotame

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Take 1 from the number in your time offset.

shikurunotame

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Um... edit button please?

(That was an accident caused by a post formatter I use at another forum. I forgot to disable it before posting that message. ^^;)

jpwong

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
only smods and admins can edit posts in this forum, and only admins can delete posts from this forum.

shikurunotame

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There's a different setting for editing posts and editing your own posts. o_O Why disable both in here?

jpwong

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Dunno, that's how it was set up. It was originally set up so that only admins could post or edit posts in this forum. The idea is that this is strictly for announcements. Regular posters shouldn't ussually need to post in here as all forum help is delivered through the board problems forum.

Vande

I am Justice
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
you say s-mods can edits others posts....erm any reason as to why i can't?

edit: scratch that it appears just here that i can't :p

D

dorumon_fanatic

about the email thing. You could do what i do and have 3 emails, one for registrations of anything (news letters, forums etc.), one for MSN and one for personal. It works fine for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.