Final thoughts on Young Hunters

Bartz

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
True, but at the same time, the show could've made the best of what it had. It did have 25 episodes, but shows have done much more with just as little, and most of those episodes were filler that didn't add too much to the overarching story. If they rewrote and tweaked the episodes along with trimming some of the extra material like the random hunters, they could've easily still had character and plot development in it. Unfortunately, the problem is that it spent most of its time on a reused story element for each episode that added little to the plot and characters, and that prevented it from being anything more then just a filler season with a crossover tacked on.

Voidmon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They had a total of 25 episodes to do whatever they wished, if they wanted to spend most of it with fillers and squeeze the crossover at the final tip of it I sincerely doubt having more episodes would've helped much since they would most likely waste it anyway, it was their choice to make a filler oriented arc. Under these circunstances I think doubling the size of Hunters would make the people expecting something else to happen even angrier.

Last edited:

Dianne Renard

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The thing is, that Young hunters was rushed into development to give Saint Seiya Omega more time to be developed as it was suffering delays and they needed something to occupy its time slot meanwhile, hence why Young Hunters was produced on the fly. Sure, it is possible to tell a compelling story with as few as even just six episodes for example as seen with miscellanous OVAS, but said productions usually take their time to be produced while the team behind YH literally had to ass pull episodes to cover the 25 required episodes. So no, they didn't have 25 episodes to do whatever they wished with them, they had to do 25 episodes with whatever came to their mind first to not miss the deadline and try to make something cohesive out of that rushed mess.

It wouldn't surprise me if even the great crossover (Which probably Bandai wanted to have no matter what for anniversary purposes) was rushed and they were planning something bigger there but couldn't procure at time the required voice actors, as seen with how only certain characters had any lines at all such as Tentomon being there but not his pal Koushiro or how Mimi was there but had not a single line while Ruki just said one thing and was never seen again. Basically, YH had a lot of things going against it and for a rushed half-season, it didn't do that bad and showed potential for more once it left filler hell.

Bartz

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
And none of that negates that they could've at least tried to make a more interesting series. The thing is, the series had some good plot points to work with, particularly when it started up. The Yuu mini-plotline for instance would've had to have been made with those same pressures, but it's agreed that those episodes were rather good in their own right. So if they could do that with the same issues, what necessarily stopped them from doing that with the rest of the episodes instead diving headfirst into filler?

Regardless, them having more episodes doesn't mean they would've fixed the problems. 02 for instance still had its share of problems years ago, and it had 50 episodes to work with and continued just off of Adventure like YH. On top of that, nothing says that the problems that plagued this series would've gotten better with more episodes, particularly since some of the problems that Xros Wars had (bite-sized stories, minimal development, large cast with a focus on only a spare few, etc.) were carried over and got worse with this series, and we don't know exactly what happened behind the scenes to know if more time would've fixed those issues and the new ones.

So all in all, I agree with Voidmon, whether it had more or less episodes, that doesn't mean that the problems would've been gone.

Last edited:

flintlock

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
@Dianne Renard

I think a lot of it has to do with expectations. I watched it weekly and it was really difficult to enjoy it because I was expecting more than a filler television show. Each week I was just wondering if anything would happen. If I knew what it was when I went in I think I would have enjoyed it more. I really did like the characters, animation and music. It didn't help that this was my first weekly Digimon series since Tamers ended when I was a kid! I did see Xros Wars beforehand though but it was after it was airing.

The Young Hunters Who lept Through time was just one big massive tease, and the fact we don't get the new videogames is like rubbing salt in the North American fans wounds. Although none of it was intentional it's really depressing.

Seymour Butz

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I seriously hope we never see this rot dubbed. It'll likely kill all credibility of Digimon whatsoever over here, making it look even more like some random kiddie shonen.
You know, it would take … a lot … for me to say ‘I hope this thing is never dubbed’, and yet … the only reason I don’t completely agree with your statement is because I simply don’t think the franchise has any credibility to lose in America right now. Boy that’s fucking sad.

I still hate Tamers, despite it has been ended for around 10 years.
You say this as if people have stopped complaining about 02.
Hating something, and hating on something, are two different things. It’s one thing to harbour resentment toward a given series for years after the fact, and to have outbursts when it gets brought up; but Hunters still inspires people to just start raging about it, completely out of the blue — which tickles me pink because I hate that fucking show, shulolololo.

I must be in the minority who liked Young Hunters.
Hoooly shit a Hunters fan. Well, I salute your bravery in coming here. Make yourself at home and know that none of our disagreements are personal.

They had a total of 25 episodes to do whatever they wished, if they wanted to spend most of it with fillers and squeeze the crossover at the final tip of it I sincerely doubt having more episodes would've helped much since they would most likely waste it anyway, it was their choice to make a filler oriented arc. Under these circunstances I think doubling the size of Hunters would make the people expecting something else to happen even angrier.
Precisely. I understand why some people argue that more episodes would have made it a better series, because it’s certainly applicable to a number of series — Savers in particular would have benefitted tremendously from another five episodes in its final arc — but Hunters had plenty of time to draw up a plot. It was a twenty-five episode show — about the same length as Trigun, The Big O, and Gurren Lagann. Look at how much those shows accomplished in such a short time — and not, notably, by a complete lack of diverting one-off episodes. Hunters’ disinterest in an ongoing narrative was not the sad result of insufficient time to tell their story; it was flagrant and deliberate. I actually think that if it were a year long, it would have wound up even worse, because the filler crap would have grated that much more intensely nine, ten, eleven months in.

The thing is, that Young hunters was rushed into development to give Saint Seiya Omega more time to be developed as it was suffering delays and they needed something to occupy its time slot meanwhile, hence why Young Hunters was produced on the fly.
(Edit: I had always been under the impression that Saint Seiya began in 1987, but I see now that it was 1986, so it does seem that this theory is correct.) In any case, we have proof that the production staff of ×ros Wars was confronted with the possibility of an extension due to the time change at least as early as April 10, 2011, and possibly much earlier as that time slot change was announced in February, although it’s unclear whether Riku Sanjō was referring to a third arc or just to an increase from fifty to fifty-four episodes. I somewhat doubt the latter, as a thirty–twenty split in the episode count between the two arcs would have been pretty extreme for an original, non-adapted story. Even in the worst case scenario in regards to timing, I maintain that they could have done better than Hunters; if that interview was referring to the last four episodes of Death Generals, then they must have replotted the ending anyway, in which case who wouldn’t have rather seen ‘Dark Knightmon invades the human world in preparation for D5!’ as the third arc, rather than the bizarre choice of a half-sequel that we got?

Last edited:

miru

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I seriously hope we never see this rot dubbed. It'll likely kill all credibility of Digimon whatsoever over here, making it look even more like some random kiddie shonen.
You know, it would take … a lot … for me to say ‘I hope this thing is never dubbed’, and yet … the only reason I don’t completely agree with your statement is because I simply don’t think the franchise has any credibility to lose in America right now. Boy that’s fucking sad.
I feel like Young Hunters is the Sonic Lost World of Digimon. A work so childish, generic, and imbecilic that it manages to exceed even the functionally broken works of the franchise in poorness.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wow. I thought Lost World was very ok. 3DS version was awful but none of this is about the topic. I just wanted to say how I'm surprised you hated that too.

Piers

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The thing is, that Young hunters was rushed into development to give Saint Seiya Omega more time to be developed as it was suffering delays and they needed something to occupy its time slot meanwhile, hence why Young Hunters was produced on the fly. Sure, it is possible to tell a compelling story with as few as even just six episodes for example as seen with miscellanous OVAS, but said productions usually take their time to be produced while the team behind YH literally had to ass pull episodes to cover the 25 required episodes. So no, they didn't have 25 episodes to do whatever they wished with them, they had to do 25 episodes with whatever came to their mind first to not miss the deadline and try to make something cohesive out of that rushed mess.
That would explain a lot. Initially assumed it had a Pokémon-style approach (Ash does something that he'll forget next episode, except for gyms and catching Pokémon) to slam harder on merchandising. The voice-actors makes sense, too.

TamerToefe

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Honestly, I don't get the consistent hate Young Hunter's gets. I get the anger and frustration, and I felt it too. I didn't like how it build up an interesting concept and then focused on several unimportant episodes, I didn't like how the focus in more on the character of the day and I didn't like how short and underwhelming the anniversary episodes were. Aside from all that, I don't think it's anything awful or that bad. It's just a bunch of bland episodes with basic plots that at least follow through. Nothing in this arc screams bad. At least it doesn't have several plotholes like 02 had (I could only see a couple like cutemon not knowing a physical attack, and gumdramon fusing with quartzmon as astamon, but that's more of a point lacking an explanation than a plothole) or an epilogue that had notable contradicting futures, at least it doesn't have a massive amount of callbacks in nearly every episode or a protagonist that immediately treated everything infront of him like a punching bag like data squad. Hunter at the very least doesn't talk down to it's demographic. It does what it can to deliver basic morals (which it does) and at least shows the rest of the fan made digimon and gives a couple their own episodes. None of the characters come off as dislikeable and even Tagiru doesn't achieve Davis levels of annoyance and the series is at least self aware of his incompetence (i.e. he get's Mikey's goggles at the end instead of right at the beginning). I also think it does good justice to Ewan, Angie and Nene. Ewan has to learn to stand strong without damemon, which works as he admits he has to when he needs to save cutemon, Angie shows full approval of Mikey heading into danger to protect everyone which she had trouble with before until ep 54, and Nene becoming an idol, while kind of random, makes sense as she stated she came to a realization that she wanted to make more people happy, whereas she was more closed off from others (in a secretive manner).

I'm not saying the series is good, but I don't see as terrible. It's just a bland series with a few moments and that's about it. Their aren't any corrupt moral, none of the episodes talk down to the audience, it's not that annoying or redundant and it at least delivers the anniversary decently and doesn't mess up any of the continuity of the other series that came in. I was angry for it after hyping up so much and delivering mostly fillers, but after watching the other series again, I just see it as a bland set of episodes and nothing more.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'd say hunting sentient beings for sport counts as a corrupt moral, even if it's "for their own good" (something that doesn't even come up until endgame). As for continuity, Taichi met Daisuke and Ken way too early.

TamerToefe

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Their not hunting to destroy other digimon, their stopping digimon that became corrupt and attack them first. They at least give the majority of the digimon a chance to speak when they have a reasonable motive. If they were being hunted and destroyed for good, or showed visible pain after being hunted, then that would be questionable. Also, how did Tai meet Davis too early here? It's also implied that Tai aged back to his Adventure age after being transported through time (Davis says- "I'm Tai's junior, but right now were the same age), they never said that he was brought back from his adventure age and even if he was, the Clock man could have had some sort of time travel power that could have erased his memory.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'll say it again, the part of YH I liked is that Yuu got his Digimon back. That's the biggest part.

Seymour Butz

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'll say it again, the part of YH I liked is that Yuu got his Digimon back. That's the biggest part.
In other words the thread that was deliberately left dangling at the end of the previous series, for the very reason that they knew they had a sequel coming up. That’s pretty sad as a comment on Hunters’s quality. It’s made even sadder by the fact that I might agree with the sentiment.

DigitalCorp

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I haven't seen the entire series yet, but based on what I've heard, Mikey got screwed big time in Young Hunters. It became the "Tagiru and Gumdramon" show. Already I'm losing interest in Fusion (still have 18 or so episodes in my DVR), but I really don't know why. I suppose it's because I realize I could do better writing my fanfics, I dunno.

Mark my words, they'll get someone like Maile Flanigan to voice Tagiru/Tyler (my guess for a dub name).

TamerToefe

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I haven't seen the entire series yet, but based on what I've heard, Mikey got screwed big time in Young Hunters. It became the "Tagiru and Gumdramon" show. Already I'm losing interest in Fusion (still have 18 or so episodes in my DVR), but I really don't know why. I suppose it's because I realize I could do better writing my fanfics, I dunno.

Mark my words, they'll get someone like Maile Flanigan to voice Tagiru/Tyler (my guess for a dub name).
I'd say keep watching fusion. the main 54 episodes make a solid series that's close to the writing quality of Adventure. Strong writing, characters with a lot of personality and strong animation. The last 25 eps don't ruin any of the characters, but yea, a lot more focus on Tagiru, but I find the character of the day in each episode are the center of attention (as in the episode is more about them). If you want to watch Hunter's without the significant filler eps, Id say watch eps 55-65, 67,68,71,73, 74, 76-79. a couple kind of come off as filler, but some of them have a human and digimon partner or just has a good use of characterization (Ewan helping stop knightchessmon, Gumdramon helping Tagiru when his energy and passion is sucked away from a flamewizardmon). Crunchyroll has all the episodes from all 3 arcs if your curious to watch some of them right now.

Py687

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I haven't seen the entire series yet, but based on what I've heard, Mikey got screwed big time in Young Hunters. It became the "Tagiru and Gumdramon" show.
That reminds me of the "problems with sequels" series of posts some time back, in another thread.

It's not that I disagree with your statement that leaving Taiki in the background is a bad idea, but that's really not the main issue most of us have with the series.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
In other words the thread that was deliberately left dangling at the end of the previous series, for the very reason that they knew they had a sequel coming up. That’s pretty sad as a comment on Hunters’s quality. It’s made even sadder by the fact that I might agree with the sentiment.
Well... I'm not sure what else I like. Maybe if they tried a version of 02 with more then just Tagiru and the three rival kids (or gave them more background).

Lord Puppetmon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Young Hunters is stupidly bland and does nothing interesting for over 20 episodes, and then it tries to appeal to the old fandom by bringing back all these characters and doing nothing good with them, at some points even directly shitting on the franchise. It's like a quick get rich scheme with the fans of the old series as the victims.