Final Hiatus Leadup Week 9- Eureka Seven

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
After doing a guest slot with Elaine recommending Advent Children it's time to do the final leadup...

With Adventure: coming back with episode 4 this weekend this bonus leadup it was the time to end this one.

Hopefully those of you who were following along enjoyed the weekly suggestions (a number of people mentioned things to me about them on our Discord or in private, on top of a handful of posts on the forum.)

One of the reward levels on our Patreon is to make something akin to the Leadup permanent (perhaps expanding the suggestions, etc.) and if/when we hit that we will figure out the best way to do it...

The final show is something that has generally skewed hard to Digimon fans enjoying, and one I've held off on doing for a beginning or end of a leadup at the right time...

Eureka Seven!

A bit of nudity, with some milder fanservice and violence thrown in.

The movie can be watched on the following officially:
Subbed and dubbed on Funimation

Lets go with episodes 1 thru 13, when there is something akin to an arc break.

Eureka Seven is a fun adventure series. It's kind of joyful to watch because it covers so many different types of material from heavy comedy, to reasonable drama, science fiction, mecha, etc. It's a great example of a series that just seems to hit a lot of people just right from beginning to end.

Renton lives a normal life in a normal place. But that's very often how things start don't they? And then a robot and a girl shows up, as they often will, and then adventure is afoot.

I won't say much more than that, but it's a show that does an exceptionally good job of making the characters feel interesting and real, and is willing to change the status quo and elements in interesting ways.

On top of the show there has been games, manga, an AU movie with it's own unique twists, and a sequel series to the original anime. A few years ago a trilogy of remake/reboot films began, with the last film scheduled for 2021.

Eureka Seven has a near endless list of people associated with Digimon, many animated and other behind the scenes staff also, so limiting to just a handful for both languages, as these could go on a very long time...:
Japanese
Yuko Sanpei plays Renton in Eureka Seven. In Adventure: she's Taichi.
Yuuichi Nomura wrote a good chunk of Eureka Seven. They did the same for Appmon.
Chiaka Konaka wrote a few episodes of Eureka Seven (seemingly as a guest writer.) He was a guest writer in 02, and he was the series composer and one of the main writers for Tamers.

English
Johnny Young Bosch is Renton in Eureka Seven. In tri. he was TK, and in Fusion he was Dracomon and a few other Digimon.
Stephanie Sheh was Eureka in Eureka Seven. In the 1st Tamers movie she was Minami, and in Data Squad she was Megumi.
Crispin Freeman plays Holland in Eureka Seven. In Frontier he was Kouichi and his various Digimon forms (along with a few other Digimon) and in Data Squad he was Thomas.
Kate Higgins is Talho in Eureka Seven. In Digimon she was Miki in Data Squad, and Gatomon, Meicoomon, and their various forms in tri.

I've embedded the first openingbelow as a preview:

Feel free to post as you wish in this thread. You can post as you are watching, episode by episode, when you finish. Whatever you want. Try and give it a couple days for later spoilers so people have time to try and view stuff without spoilers, while still interacting in the thread (especially if you decide to keep watching past the episode listed as the last one for the leadup.) If you watch one episode and it isn't for you, pop in to explain why. Have fun with it!

A new show/movie will go up each Sunday night (or early on Monday), but feel free to keep talking about older shows in their threads, or even watching past the listed episode.

If you want to chat in the Discord you can.

Hopefully you enjoy. Feel free to make any suggestions or ask an questions regarding the threads or the shows also.

Week 1- NG Knight Lamune & 40
Week 2- Street Fighter 2 the Animated Movie
Week 3- City Hunter
Week 4- Little Nemo
Week 5- Project A-ko
Week 6- Space Pirate Captain Harlock & City Hunter: Shinjuku Private Eyes
Week 7- Lucky Star
Week 8 (Elaine Guest Slot)- Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Complete

Prior Leadups
Second Leadup, To Kizuna (and Adventure:)

First Leadup, To tri.

ArkheStar

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
God, I still haven't watched the newest movies for Eureka Seven. However, just a quality content show of its time.

kkanbara

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Killer recommendation, this show always makes me feel stuff. Recently re-watched it and it holds uuuup

Nemomon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Great anime, although I don't really like what they did to Warsaw (capital city of Poland). Although, wish the Eureka Seven AO was easier to understand...

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That last part sure is true. I will agree to that.

Oh hey, I've seen this. You wouldn't think that's JYB as Renton. It's different then his other stuff. Good series, that first movie was... strange. The sequel?... Also strange. Very confused. Haven't seen the reboot trilogy though. Good music too. Just a pretty good show. It was on Toonami of course.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Watched the first 13 episodes. Since the leadup is over, I'm going to go ahead and finish the series, but I thought that since it's a show that keeps a lot of stuff mysterious, it might be fun to go ahead and post my thoughts so far. As far as the show's quality, it's pretty good. Renton's a little annoying at times, but that's perhaps to be expected of a kid his age. It's commendable, really, that the anime has a child protagonist who actually acts like a child. The whole surfing robots thing is kind of goofy, but one gets used to it. The show throws a lot of stuff at you without giving much in the way of explanation, though I have the sense that it's all going somewhere.

What has me speculating most at the moment is the book that appears in the opening, which we eventually learn isn't a nudie mag but The Golden Bough by James Frazer. Some of the show's viewers may be unaware that this is a real book of anthropology and comparative mythology published in the late 19th century. I read a decent chunk of it a while back, becoming interested in it because Lovecraft mentioned it in "The Call of Cthulhu." The book is basically the world's longest footnote, explaining a reference in the Aeneid that piqued Frazer's interest, and its focus is on the development of religion and the common myth pattern of a god or divine king who dies and is reborn (Osiris, Baldur, Jesus, etc.). Now, we hear in the anime that some king was killed, I think by that Dewey guy. Holland mentioned the Rex Nemorensis, who was ritually killed by the person who became his successor. So is Dewey trying to become king? The ritual also required the "applicant" to pluck a golden bough from a sacred grove. I wonder if that has some connection to the Corallian thing. Anyways, interested in seeing where things go from here.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I finished watching the series a while back, but am just now remembering to give my final thoughts on it. I did enjoy the rest of it, though a few things about the ending left me a little confused. In a weird way, it kind of reminded me of the ending of FLCL Alternative, though reviewing parts of the last episode, I think I get everything except what Renton and Eureka were doing while away from Bellforest. Maybe that'll be answered in the sequel (which I intend to watch eventually), but I guess it's not really something that needs to be explained. The Golden Bough stuff was kind of dealt with in an offhand way, though its connection with Dewey's philosophy was a little hard for me to make out. By the way, after finishing the series I also watched "Eureka Seven: New Order," a very odd production where they put new dialogue over clips from the climactic episodes in order to show in a rather haphazard fashion an alternate ending they had considered. Wasn't quite sure what to think of it.