Filth Digimon (aka poop tossers)

Samtheweebo

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hey guys just kinda wanted to talk about this group of Digimon. I am developing an interest in this odd group. There seems to be quite a variety of different digimon that fit into the sort of junk data category. The fact that the best digimon on the v-pets evolved from this group is really neat. I tried to find a list of all of the filth digimon online, but didn't find anything. It would be nice to be able to kind of look through all of them. It's also interesting that the Pendulums didn't really have a dedicated filth digimon slot in the roster, and in general they became less common in the different virtual pets. I'm not even sure exactly what classifies as one. I know Vegimon is sort of one but is Damemon? I guess I just kinda wanna learn more about these filth guys and it would be cool to discuss them a bit.

Gabriulio

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'd say Damemon counts as one. He's obviously based on Scumon and despite not having any explicit poop skills, Gun Vulcan is implied to be one.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The filth Digimon showed up in the original v-pet series presumably so they wouldn't have to program new attacks for the Digimon in that last Adult slot. Each slot was assigned an attack animation that all five Digimon who wound up in that slot used.

Baby I: Bubbles (Botamon, Punimon, Poyomon, Yuramon, Zurumon)
Baby II: Bubbles (Koromon, Tsunomon, Tokomon, Tanemon, Pagumon)
Child Slot 1: Wedge-Shaped (Agumon's Baby Flame, Gabumon's Petit Fire, Patamon's Air Shot, Piyomon's Magical Fire, Gazimon's Paralyze Breath)
Child Slot 2: Zigzag-Shaped (Betamon's Electric Shock, Elecmon's Sparkling Thunder, Kunemon's Electric Thread, Palmon's Poison Ivy, Gizamon's Spiral Edge)
Adult Slots 1 & 2: Fireballs / Energy Balls (Greymon's Mega Flame, Tyrannomon's Fire Breath, Kabuterimon's Mega Blaster, Garurumon's Foxfire, Centaurmon's Hunting Cannon, Unimon's Holy Shot, Monochromon's Volcano Strike, Cockatrimon's Petra Fire, DarkTyrannomon's Fire Blast, Cyclomon's Hyper Heat)
Adult Slots 3 & 4: Fists / Claws (Devimon's Death Claw; Meramon's Burning Fist; Angemon's Heaven's Knuckle; Yukidarumon's Absolute Zero Punch; Ogremon's Haouken; Bakemon's Hell's Hand; Leomon's Juuouken; Kuwagamon's Scissor Claw; Devidramon's Crimson Nail; Tuskmon's Panzer Knuckle)
Adult Slots 5 & 6: Spike-Shaped (Airdramon's Spinning Needle, Seadramon's Ice Arrow, Birdramon's Meteor Wing, Whamon's Jet Arrow, Shellmon's Hydro Pressure, Drimogemon's Drill Spin, Coelamon's Variable Darts, Mojyamon's Icicle Rod, Flymon's Deadly Sting, Deltamon's Triplex Force)
Adult Slot 7: Filth (Numemon's Poop, Vegiemon's Poop, Scumon's Poop, Nanimon's Poop, Raremon's Sludge)
Perfect Slot 1: Missiles (MetalGreymon's Giga Destroyer, SkullGreymon's Ground Zero, Andromon's Gatling Missile, Megadramon's Genocide Attack, MetalTyrannomon's Giga Destroyer II)
Perfect Slot 2: Bombs (Mamemon's Smiley Bomb, MetalMamemon's Energy Bomb, Giromon's Deadly Bomb, Piccolomon's Bit Bomb, Nanomon's Plug Bomb)
Perfect Slot 3: Hearts (Monzaemon's Lovely Attack; Vademon's Demon's Thrown Kiss; Etemon's Love Serenade; Digitamamon's Enigma; Ex-Tyrannomon's Pretty Attack) / Dark Orbs (Etemon's Dark Spirits, Digitamamon's Nightmare Syndrome, Ex-Tyrannomon's Black Matter)

I'd say any Digimon counts as a filth Digimon if they use filthy attacks. The v-pets after the initial series got more creative with their attacks, so most of the filth Digimon that came after the original series were recolors or evolutions of Numemon and Scumon.

Bugmon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thanks for that breakdown!

Yamato-san

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Tyumon could probably count as a filth Digimon by virtue of the fact that it's practically joined at the hip with Scumon. For that matter, it does have an explicit poop attack in Savers: Another Mission, and it has the Earth element in Hacker's Memory (as the majority of filth Digimon in that game do). Speaking of Digimon with poop attacks in certain games, Etemon (which itself is typically Scumon's Perfect form) and MetalEtemon have access to filth attacks in Digimon World.

Vegimon is a rather odd outlier when it comes to the original V-pet's poop Digimon. It seems to just have a poop attack by virtue of the V-pets copy/pasting most of the Digimon's attacks, yet its lore seems to only focus on its plant attributes (though if I had to stretch, maybe its poop is supposed to be associated with fertilizer). In quite a few media, it doesn't even use a poop attack, instead opting for some kind of breath attack (which itself is something that the wider franchise can't seem to decide whether it's sweet or foul-smelling). And its variant Zassoumon has yet to be associated with filth at all. Though speaking of variants, despite having no poop attacks to speak of (thus far), RedVegimon seems more fitting of a filth Digimon, given its motif seems to be over-ripeness and the foul odors that result from it. Though granted, it's not like plants aren't known to emmit such odors on their own without decaying, but the Pendulum it debuted in also seems to suggest that its Perfect form is Gerbemon, which could be seen as taking the rotting concept a step further (Gerbemon, for that matter, being a notable filth Digimon itself).

There's also Gokimon, which is supposed to be Ver.S's original take on the Digital Monster V-pets' concept of failure Adults that evolve into a powerful Perfect (in this case being MechaNorimon, which oddly enough ends up being retconned to an Adult not long after). It doesn't use poop, but it does attack by hurling solid garbage.

Samtheweebo

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's interesting how the "family" aspect of the Digimon has kind of been a bit lost. Each V-pet slot could be in a way considered to be like a family because they usually had similar types of monsters in it. Like the Mamemon small perfect adult slot. Then with the pendulums you got whole devices that contained a sort of family. Like Nightmare solders or Deep Savers. There is also the Puppet or soft toy type of family that usually evolves from the filth digimons. I think that it might be nice to gather similar Digimon into some loose families in online resources like wikimon just so people can find types of digimon they like.

I must thank TMS for the break down information about the V-pet attack slots and attack names. I thought the V-Pets also had some attacks that changed depending on which version they battled. Is there a visual list somewhere of all the attack sprites used on the V-pets?

Da_Duke2000

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What you're looking for is below. I whipped this up a while ago as part of the New File Island upgrade.

In the same way that the Attack sprites shared slots, the Digimon who got new Attack Sprites also shared Slots across versions (though the DOT Sprites were unique for the V2 Digimon). Each Digimon in the Adult 6 and Perfect 1 and 3 had an alternative attack sprite. This trend continued on the Bandai-Asia V6 as well.

Last edited:

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The Ver. 6 was Bandai Asia wasn't it? Was "Frog Bomb" unique to it, or is that a dub name for an existing attack?

Da_Duke2000

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Bandai Asia, yes. Released in Australia as well, many of the surviving units are with collectors there.

The name Frog Bomb was taken directly off the Growth Chart that was included in the device, which impressively also shows the multiple sprite icons.|

EDIT: Sorry for the file size. I can send the original to anyone who wants it.

Samtheweebo

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That's a really cool picture. Does Gekomon have the poop attack sprite in the pendulum? I thought his attack was musical notes.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It is. They were just trying to force Digimon from the Pendulum series into the format of the original v-pets, so the attacks don't make sense. They could have at least given the lightning attack to Tentomon, but I guess that would make it the "bad" Child.

Edit: Looking it over, I love how this one image perfectly illustrates how the dub completely doesn't give a single shit about what it renames stuff.

Samtheweebo

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's interesting that there is Tekkamon and the Shellnumamon in this thing. I don't think those two digimon are in any other device. I do wonder if the version 6 was at all designed by the same people that made the other devices. I'm also really curious what would happen if you plugged the version 6 into the digimon analyzer!

Last edited:

Bugmon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It looks like Tekkamon's sprite is a regular sized one, as opposed to a variation of Giromon's mini sprite. Interesting.

I appreciate that the pendulum series grouped Digimon together by themes, but I really love how unrefined the original series was. The child level having the potential/versatility to evolve into so many different forms based on care variables is something the series seemed to discard in favor of more pokemon-esque static evolution lines. Each version has a Filth/failure adult(that can become the strongest Perfect), each has a micro Perfect, and each has at least one or two Digimon I really like.

Yamato-san

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It looks like Tekkamon's sprite is a regular sized one, as opposed to a variation of Giromon's mini sprite. Interesting.

I appreciate that the pendulum series grouped Digimon together by themes, but I really love how unrefined the original series was. The child level having the potential/versatility to evolve into so many different forms based on care variables is something the series seemed to discard in favor of more pokemon-esque static evolution lines. Each version has a Filth/failure adult(that can become the strongest Perfect), each has a micro Perfect, and each has at least one or two Digimon I really like.
That is a good point. I mean, sure, the V-pets always had Digimon that had similarities to Digimon from other stages, with some even being outright stated in their profiles (I doubt anybody would dispute the connection between Greymon and MetalGreymon), but the idea of "canon" evolution lines became a lot more pronounced with the Pendulum's type groupings, and especially after the anime (and maybe the V-Tamer manga), with a lot of the newly introduced Digimon (especially those belonging to the protagonists) having entire lines designed just for them. Though, the Tamagotchi-like origins of an evolutionary free-for-all (which, even canonically, makes sense if you were to view evolution as a complete data overwrite) continue to very much be present, even within the anime on occasion (Tri's four holy beasts, for instance).

YongYoKyo

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Tekkamon's also a tiny sprite. That's just the attacking animation. You can find all of the sprites on the ver.6 on the "Digimon Pendulum Cycle" page on Wikimon.

Bugmon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Tekkamon's also a tiny sprite. That's just the attacking animation. You can find all of the sprites on the ver.6 on the "Digimon Pendulum Cycle" page on Wikimon.
I was looking at the photo above the attack photo, but yeah it's a magnified view of the actual sprite.

Da_Duke2000

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Last edited:

MysteryMan23

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So, every version of the original V-Pet assigns the same basic attack sprites to each slot. Can anyone tell me if that continues into Pendulum and beyond?

I'd also like to know how the attack sprites work in the 20th anniversary V-Pets for the Mega/Ultimate Digimon they added. Do all the Megas of a given slot share attack sprites, or not? Also, how do they work for the Digimon from the secret eggs?

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't know about the 20th Ultimates, but as I mentioned earlier the Pendulums got more creative with the Digimon attacks, and there were no longer "slots" of that kind. Years and years ago there was a site I had bookmarked that had charts showing all of the attacks in the Pendulums, but I'm not sure where something like that can be found now. You can look through the Pendulum Digimon in the old Bandai galleries, but it's slow going.

SparkGold

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'd also like to know how the attack sprites work in the 20th anniversary V-Pets for the Mega/Ultimate Digimon they added. Do all the Megas of a given slot share attack sprites, or not? Also, how do they work for the Digimon from the secret eggs?
the megas all have attack sprites that suit the individual Digimon the most as opposed to following a theme like the lower forms do. For example, both of Apollomon's moves are a type of fireball, Skull Mammothmon throws bones and spikey X shaped bones, BlitzGreymon shoots electricity, etc.
The Digital Monster Artbook 1-5 & 20th has a page showing attack sprites but I'm not sure if it includes all of them since I don't see X shaped bones I remember Skull Mammothmon having. I hope I'm not just mistaken there.
There's also a page in it talking about the filth Digimon but using a translator has it make little sense to me. I only know that they're being ranked, probably by how well they embody the filth genre theme as the top part of the image is ranking the three smallest data size Digimon to the three largest