Favourite and Hated Pairings

Hikarix

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I just want Takari and Koumi but I can't even have that and yes, I am tired of the baiting.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
We could easily have at least the latter. Though I'm pretty sure we'd get the first too.

VanChizzle

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I just want Takari and Koumi but I can't even have that and yes, I am tired of the baiting.
Even on the poster for Kizuna you could see a hint of them baiting Koumi. I'd like to see it happen but at this point I think it is what it is: just teasing.

Hikari Motomiya

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So with all the new Digimon content out, has anyone's opinions on pairings changed or grown firm on their older likes? Or maybe you have some new pairings you've gotten into.

Digiforlife

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So with all the new Digimon content out, has anyone's opinions on pairings changed or grown firm on their older likes? Or maybe you have some new pairings you've gotten into.
Definitely Tai & Matt followed by Davis & Ken. There is still hope for Izzy & Mimi and TK & Kari. Poor Sora, Iori and Miyako getting the cold shoulders now. I'm interested in maybe Matt & Mimi in the Adventure reboot too...

Golden_Fate

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Absolutely. I just read back some of my past posts and my opinions on the matter have shifted slightly. Though I definitely think the dub (particularly the movie) had a little too much fun with some 'ship-sweetening' of the dialogue, I've grown to appreciate the Mimi and Jo dynamic allot more and see more enjoyment in their coupling (Though I still prefer her with one of her American boys -Michael or Wallace-). Taichi and Sora, as well as Takeru and Hikari, still don't excite me but I think it's because I take value in supportive male - female friendships.

I've grown to appreciate Taichi x Meiko, cracked out a little more with Jo x Momoe and Iori x Noriko, and found Daisuke x Wallace to have some cute chemistry too. But I think Takato and Juri still takes number one for me.
"Wan Wan, Write that apology or the teacher's going to be mad!"

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Not really. Either they make the ships even a little clear this time or don't do any evidence. It's been many years since and I am not going through this again. ...I still want to see Meiko for this and because of a joke. Plus she's my favorite in 01.

Hikari Motomiya

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I can see potential for Mimi x Yamato now due to the new series but I still prefer Sora x Yamato, given their personalities and all. I'm not sure what you mean though, Unknown. I mean, in the original Adventure, regardless of what new content comes out, the epilogue will remain canon so Sorato/Kenyako are still definite.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
...I er uh, wasn't talking about the original. I was just saying how the original was a war and I will not get into that again this time.

NTDum2

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Juri x Takato when I was watching the anime.
Ruki x Takato when I was watching the train movie, (like c´mon she even called burst mode Dukemon cute)!

ShindoW

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Personally was hoping for something new, but doesn't seem to be going that way.

Jaybird C

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Got into Tamers again recently and I can certainly appreciate the Takato-Juri thing as the one uncharacteristically wholesome thing of Konaka's writing, but the fact that Takato's and Ruki's relationship has magnitudes more actual development leads me to gravitate to the latter. (Also, the fact that the finale robbed Beelzebumon of his chance to really follow up on his relationship with either Juri or Renamon sours me on the Takato-Juri and Ryo-Ruki writing that shut him out).

From where I'm standing, Jurato is basically Sorato 2.0: the author-sanctioned but own-foot-shootingly underwritten couple.

Last edited:

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
...Thanks to the war of Adventure, I wasn't too big on Takato/Jeri. But I also did not like Rika/Ryo. But I never liked Ryo in the dub anyway. Though an idea that could work maybe, was Henry/Jeri. I mean... I've seen worse attempts at ships.

NTDum2

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
...Thanks to the war of Adventure, I wasn't too big on Takato/Jeri. But I also did not like Rika/Ryo. But I never liked Ryo in the dub anyway. Though an idea that could work maybe, was Henry/Jeri. I mean... I've seen worse attempts at ships.
Konaka being forced to shoehorn Ryo in because the "canon" event of a game said so, just smells so bad to me, but oh well it´ s done and consideering some guys call him the "Red" of Digimon after his appearance in the games, I guess we could say Ruki´ s "Blue", I still prefer to see them as rivals before love interests, case even if Ryo likes her, his actions in the runaway locomon movie just go to show he´ s a awful love interest, or undevellopped to go into that Love zone phase, yet (though consideering they are all kids, they arent just going to jump into love zone dating after the season ended right? (in the 2003 Drama CD, Jeri did state she was wondering if Takato would ask her something else when he went about the mail talk to the digimon, so she´ d probably be ok, with dating him by that point (a few months after the end of the anime))).

I dont think it was a bad idea, but Henry just focused on his family a lot as far as Tamers was concerned, from his dad to his sister and back and forth he didnt really have as many time to devellop a ship as the other characters, who had less focus on family, though it does kinda setup a good antithesis to what Jeri goes through with her dad, so the ship had potential.

I wonder if Alice x Henry could´ ve become a thing if it wasnt for that Car crash. Now that I think about it, even Ryo x Alice could´ ve been a thing if we assume Alice remains in the digital world for long periods of time over the real world, at least Ryo would´ ve someone to be with there, without having to cross platforms and show up.

Last edited:

Jaybird C

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ryo's really a bit of a mess in Tamers. He was ostensibly tacked onto the project from the beginning, only to be mostly ignored by Konaka (probably, I would speculate, until executive pressure pushed him to make use of him, 'cause Ryo doesn't get explained until he actually showed up), and then he was very underwritten. The only reason I can see to particularly *like* Ryo is you're a fan of his games or the particular chemistry he shares with Ruki. (And even then most of the outright flirting is a dub invention, it's not nearly as strong in the Japanese).

There's certainly more than one basis for a Jian/Juri relationship. The CD Dramas really push Jian as the researcher of the team while Juri is very emotionally open like Takato, so you could use an intellectual-emotional or analytical-intuitive contrast as the basis of their chemistry. Or you could write something based on principles of nonviolence, which is overtly relevant to both characters, and for reasons of guilt, no less.

Last edited:

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
See. There's ideas to why I said that. But you know, Alice is an idea. If she probably wasn't dead and all. I also saw Ryo/Juri once but I "don't" think I remember where it was from... Of course then there's the "alt-ships".

Jaybird C

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
For Alice, you'd have to put some effort into nailing down her character to make her something more than a plot device with a Newberry Medal dead dog. Konaka has basically abdicated the job of explaining her himself; that Alice may be dead was just a passing fancy of his.

DragonicEmperor

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
See. There's ideas to why I said that. But you know, Alice is an idea. If she probably wasn't dead and all. I also saw Ryo/Juri once but I "don't" think I remember where it was from... Of course then there's the "alt-ships".
Stuff like Juri/Ryou always strikes me as stuff from people who always ship the main cast off together and these were just leftovers one way or another.

As far as Alice goes, I second what Jaybird said. What if an undead dog-type of Digimon tho.

VanChizzle

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
For Alice, you'd have to put some effort into nailing down her character to make her something more than a plot device with a Newberry Medal dead dog. Konaka has basically abdicated the job of explaining her himself; that Alice may be dead was just a passing fancy of his.
I always thought Alice was dead too, if not somewhat implied IIRC so that might need a creative workaround if that's the case.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Stuff like Juri/Ryou always strikes me as stuff from people who always ship the main cast off together and these were just leftovers one way or another.
Yes. 100%. Pair the Spares. I mean, you have 3 guys and 2 girls. Plus with Kazu/Kenta being a pair(come on, like you never thought of it), you have a spare person.