Extended Preview for Digimon Adventure: Episode 43

Mon-Ohma

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It'll never stop being amusing to me how much people just want the reboot to be a repeat of the original series lol.
Most of us just want a show that is structured decently, and doesn't primarily coast by on nostalgia.

Pinkcrane

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A loud singing voice that suddenly echoes in the forest that Taichi and his friends visited. The main voice is Etemon, who sings while strumming an electric guitar. There, Etemon and Volkamon, who both do not give up because they are the strongest, continue to fight for the position of King of Digimon. For some reason, the one who defeated Taichi and his friends is the King of Digimon, and Etemon and Volkamon attack. While Agumon and others behave strangely and are incapacitated by an acoustic attack, Mimi and Palmon confront Etemon and others in rhythm.

Im excited to see this!

Bartz

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah, Etemon may be a major villain from Adventure but unlike Devimon and Vamdemon he's never been treated as a big threat. In his other appearances like Next 0rder, Cyber Sleuth, and XW he was a joke/filler villain that barely had an impact, and even in the original Adventure he was given less weight then the other villains that appeared. Him getting the same treatment here is not really surprising as it's par the course for the character at this point, and I wouldn't use him as an indication for how Vamdemon would be treated if he does appear later.
Etemon murdered Leomon. Straight up. Even most minor character deaths in Adventure tended to be left to major villains, and Etemon absolutely just killed Leomon. He was... not, really, a minor villain.

I'd also not really say he was treated as a total joke in CS, as while he wasn't threatening as a villain, that's mostly because he wasn't really evil to begin with, he just wanted to get his music out there. He also is fairly useful in the fight where you had him as an ally, after he just... forces himself to evolve, because he was able to do that - but that might be that Jimiken as a boss was really weak admittedly.
I'm not saying he was a minor villain, I'm saying he wasn't treated as much of a threat as the others were. He did kill Leomon and that was as big moment, but even with that in mind what villains like Vamdemon did in their runs still puts him notably below the majority (if not all) of them and I don't think it's wrong to say that he was treated as the least threatening of the group.

And for CS, maybe 'joke' is a little harsh, but he was still a part of one of the game's more lighthearted questlines. Even the fight with Jimiken is not really that serious as it was a complete misunderstanding and both ended up just hamming it up with each other.

TheImpster

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah, Etemon may be a major villain from Adventure but unlike Devimon and Vamdemon he's never been treated as a big threat. In his other appearances like Next 0rder, Cyber Sleuth, and XW he was a joke/filler villain that barely had an impact, and even in the original Adventure he was given less weight then the other villains that appeared. Him getting the same treatment here is not really surprising as it's par the course for the character at this point, and I wouldn't use him as an indication for how Vamdemon would be treated if he does appear later.
Etemon murdered Leomon. Straight up. Even most minor character deaths in Adventure tended to be left to major villains, and Etemon absolutely just killed Leomon. He was... not, really, a minor villain.

I'd also not really say he was treated as a total joke in CS, as while he wasn't threatening as a villain, that's mostly because he wasn't really evil to begin with, he just wanted to get his music out there. He also is fairly useful in the fight where you had him as an ally, after he just... forces himself to evolve, because he was able to do that - but that might be that Jimiken as a boss was really weak admittedly.
I'm not saying he was a minor villain, I'm saying he wasn't treated as much of a threat as the others were. He did kill Leomon and that was as big moment, but even with that in mind what villains like Vamdemon did in their runs still puts him notably below the majority (if not all) of them and I don't think it's wrong to say that he was treated as the least threatening of the group.

And for CS, maybe 'joke' is a little harsh, but he was still a part of one of the game's more lighthearted questlines. Even the fight with Jimiken is not really that serious as it was a complete misunderstanding and both ended up just hamming it up with each other.
That is not true at all. Etemon during his arc was treated as just as dangerous as the other villains, he just had a goofier but still cruel personality. The characters were constantly avoiding fights with him, since they knew they couldn't win, he was the one who damaged Datamon, etc

TheMatrix

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Etemon interestingly enough sounds quite evil in the German dub for the orignal Adventures series on the opposite the English dub made him and his episodes more comedic then they were originally intended to be.

I think you can present Etemon in many different ways. Also the Joker in Batman the animated series is quite silly in a childlike way and so is Puppetmon at times and yet few argue that they are not effective villains. I think the perception of Etemon as a villain that can't be taken seriously or as a threat is a bit overblown to be honest.

e105zeta

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Etemon interestingly enough sounds quite evil in the German dub for the orignal Adventures series on the opposite the English dub made him and his episodes more comedic then they were originally intended to be.

I think you can present Etemon in many different ways. Also the Joker in Batman the animated series is quite silly in a childlike way and so is Puppetmon at times and yet few argue that they are not effective villains. I think the perception of Etemon as a villain that can't be taken seriously or as a threat is a bit overblown to be honest.
It's really just putting him next to the literal devil (Devimon), Castlevania's Dracula (Vamdemon) and "Pennywise but more powerful" (Piemon) that makes him look . . . awful. He also doesn't fit given that the above three were part of the same official Nightmare Soldiers line in the Pendulums, so he kind of drops the theming.

TheMatrix

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

It's really just putting him next to the literal devil (Devimon), Castlevania's Dracula (Vamdemon) and "Pennywise but more powerful" (Piemon) that makes him look . . . awful. He also doesn't fit given that the above three were part of the same official Nightmare Soldiers line in the Pendulums, so he kind of drops the theming.
Kind of a unpopulare opinion but I don't really care that much for Piemon. Given that he was situated on top of a high mountain guarded by less formidable villains and had the trappings of a clown he just seemed like another Final Fantasy refference but this time not from Final Fantasy 7.

Also often when discussing Digimon villains that acted on their own people tend to forget Kuwagamon, Lord Bakemon and Vademon but still remember Parrotmon despite being a villain that does not carry that much plot with him or her.

Eitaroutarouman

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Kuwagamon and Parrotmon weren't "villains", though. Just mindless, hungry beasts. (Parrotmon was silent in the original, right? No shouting its attacks like the dub?)

TheMatrix

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Kuwagamon and Parrotmon weren't "villains", though. Just mindless, hungry beasts. (Parrotmon was silent in the original, right? No shouting its attacks like the dub?)
Not to get to off topic but on an older thread back in the days were the adventure villains were discussed Parrotmon was at one point or another brought up as a favorite villain, As for those afformentioned Digimons consciousness or lack there off Digimon is adventure is somewhat unclear about that. Seadramon appears as a hungry monster in the original series but a member of the same species does not in 02.

Nightwing

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It'll never stop being amusing to me how much people just want the reboot to be a repeat of the original series lol.
Most of us just want a show that is structured decently, and doesn't primarily coast by on nostalgia.
Yeah, you're not making a good point here since Etemon's role, or the role of any classic villains really, has literally nothing to do with the structure of the series. It also doesn't really help that the original series had a bog standard children's anime structure, but hey, that's what happens when the focus is on character sometimes and that clearly paid off back then.

That you chose to respond to that in that way is sending some mixed signals if I'm being honest. I'm not sure if you want the show to be more different, in which case you'd want the show to diverge more and wouldn't care about Etemon's or Vamdemon's role, or you want the show to stick closer to the original series, in which case you want it to "coast by on nostalgia" lol.

digicro

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think the series will go the Appmon way. Most of the series was episodic, about character development, relationships,and Appmon upgrades.And almost all of the main story was resolved in last 6 episodes.

Lilimonblooms

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Since joe will not have a solo filler episode like the others based on the guide listings I can conclude that zudomon will fight with lilimon in episode 43, and ikakumon already is here so it's easy to digivolve. Lilimon will most probably help ikakumon to get out of the paralysis caused by etemon.