English Card Game Updates- Final Event Pack Previews & Booster Set 5 Previews

e105zeta

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Arachnemon and Kentaurumon use Greek phonetics in their names, hence the weird localizations.

Mattman324

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It was translated as Arukeni to match the lip flaps because it was translated in the context of 02.

That's probably also why Agunimon was translated that way, though I'm not sure.

e105zeta

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That's probably also why Agunimon was translated that way, though I'm not sure.
Unlike most mythological Digimon, Vritra and Agni are from modern religions, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they were censored for that reason. Hindu gods caused some controversy in Smite about half a decade back. It wasn’t helped by the fact that Michael and Lucifer remain heavily requested characters in that game, but the devs keep shutting that down.

YongYoKyo

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Arachnemon and Kentaurumon use Greek phonetics in their names, hence the weird localizations.
Sleipmon's Japanese name is, well, Sleipmon. It's not an issue of Japanese-to-English translation.

e105zeta

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Sleipmon's Japanese name is, well, Sleipmon. It's not an issue of Japanese-to-English translation.
I was talking about the original Kentaurumon - it uses the Ken and Taurus from the Greek pronunciation of Kentaurus, not the Sen/Cen from the Anglicized Centaur.

Sleipmon I group with Hangyomon and Scorpiomon as “disaster localizations”.

lucemonbr

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wait, why sieg greymon. Zeke greymon has changed his name?

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wait, why sieg greymon. Zeke greymon has changed his name?
Didn't see that, yeah that is strange because I'm pretty sure the dub of Fusion kept it as ZekeGreymon so I don't know where Sieg came from. :unsure:

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The original name is probably derived from Sieg, the German word for “victory.” This new name is still badly misspelled, however, since they still use a Z and got the I and E backwards.