English Card Game Updates- Final Event Pack Previews & Booster Set 5 Previews

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A few different English card game updates!

dandevimon_july18_2021.jpg
woodmon_july18_2021.jpg
commandramon_july18_2021.jpg
wargreymon_july18_2021.jpg

And we start off with card previews!

Over the last few days we've gotten more previews of cards from the upcoming Event Pack that will be given out in the English version of the Digimon Evolution Cup!

This time we get previews of DanDevimon, Woodmon, Commandramon, and WarGreymon. Both DanDevimon and Wargreymon feature new artwork, and WarGreymon was announced as the final preview for the event pack.

Next up, Booster Set 5!

armageddemon_july18_2021.jpg
ultimateflare_july18_2021.jpg
guilmon_july18_2021.jpg
blackgrowlmon_july18_2021.jpg
blackwargrowlmon_july18_2021.png
chaosgallantmon_july18_2021.png
megidramon_july18_2021.png
demonicdisaster_july18_2021.png
shoutmon_july18_2021.png
omnishoutmon_july18_2021.png
zeigreymon_july18_2021.png
shoutmondx_july18_2021.png
argomon_july18_2021.png
youcantactuallyfly_july18_2021.png

These are all the same cards as their Japanese counterparts, simply translated into English. This batch of previews features Armageddemon & Ultimate Flare, Guilmon & BlackGrowlmon, BlackWarGrowlmon & ChaosGallantmon, Megidramon & Demonic Disaster, Shoutmon & OmniShoutmon, ZeigGreymon & Shoutmon DX, and Argomon & You Can't Actually Fly?

The English version of Booster Set 5 Battle of Omni is out on August 6th.

All the day 1 cards (the 3 starter decks, special booster 1.0, and a bunch of promo cards) we have clean images for, which can be found here.
We also have all the images from Special Booster 1.5 and a bunch of promo cards, which can be found here.
All the images of Booster 4 Great Legend, Starter Decks 4, 5, & 6, and Power Up Pack, Great Dash Pack, and More Promo Cards cane be found here.

The first details for Booster Set 5 Battle of Omni can be found here.
The first details for Booster Set 6 & Starter Decks 7 and 8 in English can be found here.
English card game distro updates can be found here.
Booster 4 & Starter 4, 5, 6 Promotions, Anniversary Cards, Pulsemon, Name Change Rules, & More can be found here.
New Tournament Kit, Tamer Party Cards, & Errata Card Details can be found here.
Rule & Q&A Updates, Errata Cards, & Clean Memorial Pack Images can be found here.
New Promo Cards, Distribution Updates, Errata Card, & Questionnaire can be found here.
English Packaging & Info for Card Game Booster EX-01 Classic Collection can be found here.
Evolution Cup Details & Prize Previews can be found here.
LordKnightmon & Vilemon English Card Previews from Event Pack can be found here.
Biyomon English Card Preview from Event Pack can be found here.
Booster Set 5 Box Toppers & Pre-Release Tournament, Event Pack Cards, & Classic Collection Preview (w/ a Surprise) can be found here.
Event Pack & Booster Set 5 Previews, plus Rule Updates can be found here.
More Booster 5 Previews can be found here.
More Event Pack & Booster Set 5 Previews, plus new sleeves, can be found here.
DC-1 Tournament info and cards can be found here.
More Booster 5 Previews can be found here.

Attachments

• article.jpg
    article.jpg
    440.2 KB · Views: 10,498

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wait, they're seriously calling him "DanDevimon"? Eww... :sick:

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Well, that's what the name says and is what fans translated it as before the DRB decided "Done".

The Dan in DanDevimon is ダン, and Dante is ダンテ. They both have ダン. The name is DanDevimon. Japanese for Done is 完了, which isn't in the Digimon's name. Can ダンデビモン even translate to "DoneDevimon"? this seems to be the DRB taking liberties and listing "DoneDevimon" as the translation despite not actually being able to translate as that? correct me if I'm wrong on this. The name is outright DanDevimon though, that's what it says. Even if it *can* be "Done"Devimon, I've posted enough here to show that I think the name should indeed be DanDevimon. It's not like anyone translates the DMC character as Donete instead of Dante.

Last edited:

OffBrandANON

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
for some reason, i'm now imagining devimon as dan from dan vs. i've not even watched that show, and i'm imagining it.

Well, that's what the name says and is what fans translated it as before the DRB decided "Done".

The Dan in DanDevimon is ダン, and Dante is ダンテ. They both have ダン. The name is DanDevimon. Japanese for Done is 完了, which isn't in the Digimon's name. Can ダンデビモン even translate to "DoneDevimon"? this seems to be the DRB taking liberties and listing "DoneDevimon" as the translation depspite not actually being able to translate as that? correct me if I'm wrong on this. The name is outright DanDevimon though, that's what it says. Even if it *can* be "Done"Devimon, I've posted enough here to show that I think the name should indeed be DanDevimon.
also, 完了 isn't katakana. ダンデビモン, from what i have gleamed, can indeed become "donedevimon".

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
for some reason, i'm now imagining devimon as dan from dan vs. i've not even watched that show, and i'm imagining it.

The Dan in DanDevimon is ダン, and Dante is ダンテ. They both have ダン. The name is DanDevimon. Japanese for Done is 完了, which isn't in the Digimon's name. Can ダンデビモン even translate to "DoneDevimon"? this seems to be the DRB taking liberties and listing "DoneDevimon" as the translation depspite not actually being able to translate as that? correct me if I'm wrong on this. The name is outright DanDevimon though, that's what it says. Even if it *can* be "Done"Devimon, I've posted enough here to show that I think the name should indeed be DanDevimon.
also, 完了 isn't katakana. ダンデビモン, from what i have gleamed, can indeed become "donedevimon".

I'd still say DanDevimon is more accurate to the name though. Like I edited in my previous post, no one calls the DMC character Donete instead of Dante.

OffBrandANON

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

I'd still say DanDevimon is more accurate to the name though. Like I edited in my previous post, no one calls the DMC character Donete instead of Dante.
i think it might be more of an issue of us not entirely being sure of what the prefix is going for.

e105zeta

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
When you have cards that let you deck search for a Digimon with a special ability like Blitz, do those work with Digimon with conditional or on play|on evolve abilities? Like Sieg Greymon?

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Japanese for Done is 完了, which isn't in the Digimon's name.
There is a difference between transliteration and translation. And if a name has to contain the japanese translation of a word then guess what Devimon isn't based on the Devil by that logic since that's not the correct Japanese translation of that term either.

"Done" is absolutely correctly transliterated with ダン because it's not about the o, it's about how the o is pronounced. It would only be "don" or ドン if the o was pronounced like in "Mafia Don" or "Dork". Just like The Ra in Rafflesiamon is transliterated ラフ while in Racemon it's transliterated レー because it's simply a different sound.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There is a difference between transliteration and translation. And if a name has to contain the japanese translation of a word then guess what Devimon isn't based on the Devil by that logic since that's not the correct Japanese translation of that term either.

"Done" is absolutely correctly transliterated with ダン because it's not about the o, it's about how the o is pronounced. It would only be "don" or ドン if the o was pronounced like in "Mafia Don" or "Dork". Just like The Ra in Rafflesiamon is transliterated ラフ while in Racemon it's transliterated レー because it's simply a different sound.

So we should be calling the DMC character Donete then?

OffBrandANON

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

should we be calling the digimon debimon?

YongYoKyo

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

That's not the point. The point is that ダン is an accurate transliteration for both "Dan" and "Done" because of their pronunciations. Looking only at the kana spelling, both "DanDevimon" and "DoneDevimon" are viable.

As for which one is the intended one, we don't know for sure and can only theorize, until they officially tell us the etymological origin. It doesn't help that now they have used both transliterations. DanDevimon in the Card Game, and DoneDevimon in the DRB and Crunchyroll subtitles.

Personally, I do prefer DanDevimon because I do think it's meant to be a wordplay between ダンテ and ダンデ, and the Divine Comedy is heavily associated with devils. However, that's just a theory and for all I know, it could truly be ダン as in "done."

OffBrandANON

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

That's not the point. The point is that ダン is an accurate transliteration for both "Dan" and "Done" because of their pronunciations. Looking only at the kana spelling, both "DanDevimon" and "DoneDevimon" are viable.

As for which one is the intended one, we don't know for sure and can only theorize, until they officially tell us the etymological origin. Personally, I do prefer DanDevimon because I do think it's meant to be a wordplay between ダンテ and ダンデ, and the Divine Comedy is heavily associated with devils. However, that's just a theory and for all I know, it could truly be ダン as in "done."
really, i'm kinda guessing that the etymology is something we haven't thought of yet, because both of the etymologies sound kinda weird tome for some reason.
and tbh, i don't really care which one it is.

YongYoKyo

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

As for which one is the intended one, we don't know for sure and can only theorize, until they officially tell us the etymological origin. Personally, I do prefer DanDevimon because I do think it's meant to be a wordplay between ダンテ and ダンデ, and the Divine Comedy is heavily associated with devils. However, that's just a theory and for all I know, it could truly be ダン as in "done."
really, i'm kinda guessing that the etymology is something we haven't thought of yet, because both of the etymologies sound kinda weird tome for some reason.
and tbh, i don't really care which one it is.
It wouldn't be the first time they spliced together several words for a name. Vamdemon (vampire+demon) is a classic one. A more recent example is Bryweludramon (Prydwen+shīrudo[shield]+doragon[dragon]), which uses a wordplay between the last syllable of "shield" and the first syllable of "dragon" that doesn't work outside of Japanese.

One important thing to note is that there's no capitalization in kana. The second D wouldn't be distinctly capitalized, so there wouldn't be such a clear split in the name.

But this is getting off-topic. Bottom-line, the English Card Game decided to use DanDevimon for whatever unknown reason. This is also the first instance of the Digimon in an actual Western-release, meaning it's possible this will be the precedent and future media will use the same name.

Last edited:

Mynor

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm not going to complain about tcg translation names after opening a pack of cards a few weeks ago and seeing Valdurmon as "Varodurumon". That broke me and I'm still violent over it.

I was just thinking about Armageddemon's card yesterday when looking at my Diaboromon cards and I was just reading Mega Argomon's Wikimon page immediately before checking wtw so it's funny to see their cards officially translated right now. I have a local tcg store that is doing regular card tournaments for Digimon and a part of me wants to get into the card game competitively so seeing the English release still going strong is nice

YongYoKyo

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm not going to complain about tcg translation names after opening a pack of cards a few weeks ago and seeing Valdurmon as "Varodurumon". That broke me and I'm still violent over it.
That's not an issue that was created by the Card Game. Valdurmon has always been dubbed as "Varodurumon", from as early as Sunburst/Moonlight, to as recent as Hacker's Memory and ReArise.

It's a situation of them initially using the literal transliteration as the dub name and never correcting it to the proper English word, like Diaboromon (Diaboro is Diablo) and Arukenimon (Arukenī is Arachne).

Mobius-D

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

The Dan in DanDevimon is ダン, and Dante is ダンテ. They both have ダン. The name is DanDevimon. Japanese for Done is 完了, which isn't in the Digimon's name. Can ダンデビモン even translate to "DoneDevimon"? this seems to be the DRB taking liberties and listing "DoneDevimon" as the translation despite not actually being able to translate as that? correct me if I'm wrong on this. The name is outright DanDevimon though, that's what it says. Even if it *can* be "Done"Devimon, I've posted enough here to show that I think the name should indeed be DanDevimon. It's not like anyone translates the DMC character as Donete instead of Dante.
It’s short for Dan(ny)Devi(to) and there is nothing you can do to change my mind.

e105zeta

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That's not an issue that was created by the Card Game. Valdurmon has always been dubbed as "Varodurumon", from as early as Sunburst/Moonlight, to as recent as Hacker's Memory and ReArise.

It's a situation of them initially using the literal transliteration as the dub name and never correcting it to the proper English word, like Diaboromon (Diaboro is Diablo) and Arukenimon (Arukenī is Arachne).
Why does my “Varodururumon” evolve into “Chaosmon Valdur Arm” in the US TCG though and not “Varurudorurumon Arm”?

YongYoKyo

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Why does my “Varodururumon” evolve into “Chaosmon Valdur Arm” in the US TCG though and not “Varurudorurumon Arm”?
Again, that's not an issue created by the Card Game. Hacker's Memory does the same exact thing. Varodurumon Jogresses into Valdur Arm in Hacker's Memory.

The Card Game is just following the precedents set by earlier media. "Valdur Arm" was translated the first time around as "Valdur Arm" (probably because it's not a proper Digimon name), so they continued translating it as "Valdur Arm." Meanwhile, Valdurmon was translated as "Varodurumon" the first time around, so they kept it the whole time.

Chimera-gui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

In fairness Arachne in Japanese is more commonly spelled as アラクネ with a "ー" on the end occasionally so I don't completely blame the translators for not realizing this sooner, especially since this was a full decade before characters like Rachnera and Kumoko would become popular.

YongYoKyo

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

In fairness Arachne in Japanese is more commonly spelled as アラクネ with a "ー" on the end occasionally so I don't completely blame the translators for not realizing this sooner, especially since this was a full decade before characters like Rachnera and Kumoko would become popular.
Depends on where you're looking. In several well-known fantasy games like Megami Tensei, Final Fantasy, and Castlevania; they use Arukenī「アルケニー」to spell Arachne's name. It's just more obvious as a standalone name, rather than a slightly-altered Digimon name.

Last edited: