English Card Game Updates- Booster Set 10, Ghost Rare, Exclusive Alternate Art Cards, & Some Delays

Mattman324

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Almost no physical card game does banlist updates more than once per quarter and most don't even do that. Banning cards that are in the current set is a really good way to severely harm your revenue, so it's only done in emergencies.
People expect more these days because MtG decided to completely upend how they do bans because they suck so much shit at designing their card game that banning things only four times a year wasn't enough, in spite of the fact that they're the oldest fucking game in the industry.

No one ELSE does it, though, because no one else is "too big to fail" in the same way MtG is in America outside of Yugioh, Pokemon, and JP Duel Masters.

robotoboy

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
These delays are going to kill this game in the West. My shops community gets burnout so freaking bad, especially when the set is broken and require new cards to balance. Like right now it's Yellow/Hybrid Zoe all day every day... and they are FEELING it. They seemed to have fun at first, but yeah it's just grinding on them now because it's the same fast hybrid deck and Eyesmon. Also Bandai's decision to hold bans back until a new set releases hurts the game... because people know that bans are inevitable but have to experience the busted meta for 3 or 4 months after release.

It doesn't help that they keep delaying sets on queue every time. Why even announce a release date at this point? Market the card game without one and then post a release date a week out or so. Have my distributor just setup my allocations with an estimated release instead of a hard release time.

I don't know, all I do know is that it feels like Bandai doesn't care all that much about it as usual. I have been importing boxes of the new sets to give my players something to play around with because these 4 month meta's with impending ban lists have been hell on the game.
Almost no physical card game does banlist updates more than once per quarter and most don't even do that. Banning cards that are in the current set is a really good way to severely harm your revenue, so it's only done in emergencies.

And they can't do announcements a week before release, those dates are coordinated months in advance with the distributors outside of delays and having such short notice would make it so distributors don't have the ability to call in and receive their pre-purchased units in time for launch.

-Ish. My distributors always try sell me on products based on limitations not sell dates. Most times EVERYTHING I pre-book comes bookended with a "they told us it comes out this date, but that could change" It's a lot less set in stone with them than you might think.

Also sure, the banlist updates shouldnt come out with a set I can give you that... but having an immanent banlist still hurts the sets value. The bans for one thing are generally turning very overpowered cards into one of's. The card at least still retains some of its value. The only median here is for them to wait to ban things in Asia until the set is released in the West for a period of time. Instead we have a lagged banlist where we are told "hey this card that's coming out is going to be banned/restricted when the next set comes out" --- which often leaves players feeling crappy in general even if they aren't banned during a sets initial lifecycle. I say this from experience in my local community - so of course this is anecdotal to an extent.

They also give a finite supply of any set released. When my shop orders (and we order the maximum we are allotted) that's IT. That's ALL we get, EVER unless our distributor happens to just have an extra box laying and around my rep feels nice that week. Albeit we usually get JUST enough to last us until the next set for tournaments and retail purchases (our tournaments vary from 8 to 26 people on any given day) so we basically NEVER get restock on a previous set.

The way the game is handled is very... not great. Yugioh also has finite supply on sets but the releases happen so close to eachother that it balances out.

This makes Digimon sets feel like this.

- New set releases.
- Meta solidifies.
- Tournaments are ran for 2 -3 months off of this specific set as prize support.
- If we run out of packs before the next release players often choose to take credt, and redeem on the new set when it is released.
- Repeat.

MTG, Pokemon, Yugioh etc. All print more of at least the last 2 or 3 sets for restocks for their games. Which means we have a large variety in each of those games for players to buy, and redeem for prizes. It gets very rough for Digimon because the players feel stagnation very quickly and it often burns them out. The new sets can bring back some players but more than a few have seemingly grown resentment over the release cycle and delays. (I often feel the sting of this more because I'm the face - or my business partner/employees they end up talking to about the products)

I'm not saying "HEY JUST BAN THEM OUTRIGHT" but they could be more vague about release dates and it would work fine. Because when I have my customers constantly confused about when these sets release --- this obviously doesn't work.

People expect more these days because MtG decided to completely upend how they do bans because they suck so much shit at designing their card game that banning things only four times a year wasn't enough, in spite of the fact that they're the oldest fucking game in the industry.

No one ELSE does it, though, because no one else is "too big to fail" in the same way MtG is in America outside of Yugioh, Pokemon, and JP Duel Masters.
This is... very true.

Last edited:

Darkrai848

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I am with you 100% on the Omnimon Omagamon thing. My nostalgia loves the name Omnimon, but it kills the entire meaning of the character. Omagamon needs to be the name they stick with end of story. And in the case of wargrowlmon I would be fine with Megalo Growlmon as well, I just think “growl” is so much better then “grow”.