English Card Game Updates- Booster Set 10, Ghost Rare, Exclusive Alternate Art Cards, & Some Delays

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
boosterset10xrosENG_april21_2022.jpg

A few English Card Game updates.

First up, packaging for the English version of Xros Encounter, which will be out on October 14th.

The set will have 2 more alternate art cards than the Japanese set had. They are labeled as exclusive to the English version, so we'll see what happens there.

The set will also have the 2nd so called 'Ghost Rare'. The first was the lineart Omegamon that came with Booster Set 6 that was extremely rare. This one will be an Alphamon card.

Thanks to GTS Distribution for the details and digimon_tcg_SP for the image.

booster8_april21_2022.png
starter9_april21_2022.png
starter10_april21_2022.png

Then we have some delays for the English Card Game.

Booster Set 8 New Awakening:
Europe, Latin America, Oceania- May 13th Release, with pre-release on May 6th
North America: May 27th Release, with pre-release on May 20th

Starter Decks 9 Ultimate Ancient Dragon and 10 Parallel World Tactician:
Europe, Latin America, Oceania- May 13th
North America: May 27th

Stores will get an email/notification from BCC for pre-release events for those starter decks.

Delays aren't unexpected based on recent history, the Booster Set 10 details are interesting, especially if those 2 exclusive cards are exclusive to 'just' Booster Set 10, or if we will see them later, plus the popularity/value for another ghost card.

Attachments

• article.jpg
    article.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 9,220

Muur

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They're using Xros in English? Weird

Noni

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So they settled on Xros Encounter as the name, unless the cover is not final.

I much prefer it, but I understand if people might feel frustrated with the inconsistencies in localization the franchise seems to collect.

RogueX4

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

I much prefer it, but I understand if people might feel frustrated with the inconsistencies in localization the franchise seems to collect.
Personally I’m happy. I think they should stay faithful to the original terms. There’s a lot more meaning behind the Japanese terms and names rather than the badly localized ones.

Chimera-gui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They're using Xros in English? Weird
To be fair, they've been using Digixrose in the English Encyclopedia profiles I actually was expecting this.

Notus

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Besides, Xros keeps the X=10 pun.

Darkrai848

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Personally I’m happy. I think they should stay faithful to the original terms. There’s a lot more meaning behind the Japanese terms and names rather than the badly localized ones.
I’m fine with ether name in almost all cases, but I think Growlmon/Wargrowlmon is a major improvement over Growmon/Megalo Growmon and I will die on this hill.

Noni

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The positive thing about the card game opting for a system of name archetypes is that we should at least expect consistency in digimon naming to be enforced a bit more often, since they need to be for cards to be valid targets of effects.

Unless we see a very generous application of "This card is always treated as (name)", which wouldn't be ideal.

Santaskid

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I will say i was expecting something like "Xtreme Fusion" for the english set name to 1- reference the fact that we got it as "Fusion" and not "Xros wars" and to maintain the X=10 thing (the reason i was a bit let down when we got X record for set 9 i totally forgot about Xros stuff and was like X antibodies shoudl be set 10 for X=10.

But yeah I do wonder if we'll get Digi-Fuse or Digi-Xros
Both are plausible, since we have stuff like Lighdramon and DarkKnightmon in the englsih card game when the general fandom that only knows the show from the dub would know them as "Raidra and AxeKnightmon (?)

I'm not 100% on the DarkKnightmon one ... i do believe Deadly Axemon was simply called Axemon, and i've had friends tell me they thought Dark kNightmon was called Axeknightmon in the anime - which i can only assume was due to the dub I just dont recall the Fusion dub all that well, at least outside of SlushAngemon the Angel of Slushies- why didn't they edit his blades into straws?

Yet at the same time we still have the Frontier spirit names which is a little odd we get the more accurate Lighdra, we get Daadly Axe and Dark KNight

But then we still have KendoGarurumon?

So i feel both Digi-fuse and Digi-xros are Equally liekly for the engish version.

Chimera-gui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
@Santaskid I believe the card game is trying to keep in line with English Encyclopedia since that uses Lighdramon, DeadlyAxemon, DarkKnightmon and KendoGarurumon.

There are some discrepancies between card game and Encyclopedia but I do believe that’s going to decrease going forward given what Noni noted above.

Santaskid

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
@Santaskid I believe the card game is trying to keep in line with English Encyclopedia since that uses Lighdramon, DeadlyAxemon, DarkKnightmon and KendoGarurumon.

There are some discrepancies between card game and Encyclopedia but I do believe that’s going to decrease going forward given what Noni noted above.
This makes sense, just saying its kinda funny at times cause you expect to see certain names- like say Raidramon because well the dub... only to have the official card sho Lighdra instead - which is a pleasant surprise. Going forward using the official Encyclopedia going forward is a great idea since it would reduce the chances for past craziness like "Slush Angemon" like hat was wrong ith GuardiAngemon? He already had a good enough English name... guess the group behind the name choices in Fusion just couldn't spend the time to cross check stuff.

RogueX4

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

I’m fine with ether name in almost all cases, but I think Growlmon/Wargrowlmon is a major improvement over Growmon/Megalo Growmon and I will die on this hill.
Fair point. In that scenario I believe both work. My problem is based of names like BurningGreymon, KendoGarurumon, Samudramon, renaming and muddying the meaning of certain terminology (Look at jogress, fusion, and xross debacle. In japan it was straightforward to understand overseas it was a bit of a mess), and bad dubs. I want important names with meaning, lore, archetypes, and important terms to stay consistent with it’s true meaning.

Personal preference I prefer Dukemon over Gallantmon, SaintGargomon over MegaGargomon, HolyAngemon (although I believe both work), and Holydramon over Magnadramon.

Now the hill I will die on, regardless of my own nostalgia, is Omegamon > Omnimon. Demon (even Deamon) >>>> Creepymon. The last one is downright atrocious.

Chimera-gui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
To be fair @RogueX4, Fusion vs Jogress was a clusterfuck to begin with even before the term DNA Digivolution was used for Jogress as a general concept and subsequently Jogress Evolution specifically (which was probably likely what the dub term was always intended to represent) and well before Digixrose threw an even bigger wretch into this shit.

Like Bandai themselves have admitted that defining Jogress/Fusion was a mess even in Japan which makes the Fusion Profile report localizing Jogress as Fusion and Jogress Evolution as DNA Digivolution all the more important going forward.

It’s also important to remember that it is Bandai Japan themselves who chooses English names and terminology apart from the notable exception of Daemon in 02 where Saban went against the name Bandai told them to use.

Hell, Digimon site’s official localization changed Level I’s name from Fresh to In-Training I which carried over in the newer v-pet localizations even if admittedly this is more consistent with Japanese Level names.

RogueX4

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
To be fair @RogueX4, Fusion vs Jogress was a clusterfuck to begin with even before the term DNA Digivolution was used for Jogress as a general concept and subsequently Jogress Evolution specifically (which was probably likely what the dub term was always intended to represent) and well before Digixrose threw an even bigger wretch into this shit.

Like Bandai themselves have admitted that defining Jogress/Fusion was a mess even in Japan which makes the Fusion Profile report localizing Jogress as Fusion and Jogress Evolution as DNA Digivolution all the more important going forward.

It’s also important to remember that it is Bandai Japan themselves who chooses English names and terminology apart from the notable exception of Daemon in 02 where Saban went against the name Bandai told them to use.

Hell, Digimon site’s official localization changed Level I’s name from Fresh to In-Training I which carried over in the newer v-pet localizations even if admittedly this is more consistent with Japanese Level names.
It was a mess but I believe we had an understanding to it before (don’t get me wrong it’s great they confirmed it, however I thought we it was know). There was one that was a combined evolution that raised your level. (The meaning behind Jogress Evolution: Joint Progress Evolution). While another that didn’t change your class but made a stronger Digimon of the same class.

Although to be fair the same can be said for DNA and Fusion in english. My main problem with DNA Digivolve is the name has no meaning there is no depth to it. Later on we received DNA Data but it still doesn’t connect with the english term DNA Digivolve. That’s why over the long years I’ve distanced my self from the term DNA Digivolve. I wonder why Bandai Japan okayed it.

I should of specified my real problem it involved Xrosswars and it’s dub terminology. I pray we never see it again. It’s really bad.

I’ve never understood why they are so adamant with the name Creepymon? It’s so awkward. When I was really young (a kid) I thought it was due to religion but… Skullsatamon was a thing… way older and I still don’t get it. I sometimes joke amongst friends, who are into Digimon, that the creators must hate Demon for some reason. Would be cool if in the tcg we got a card based off his Vtamer art.

Until you mentioned it I did not notice your last point. Honestly I used to use the english terms until I discovered the japanese terms. I love how it’s based of growth and it’s symbolism. However ever since the card game and pendulum z I’ve just referred to their levels.

Chimera-gui

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My main problem with DNA Digivolve is the name has no meaning there is no depth to it. Later on we received DNA Data but it still doesn’t connect with the english term DNA Digivolve. That’s why over the long years I’ve distanced my self from the term DNA Digivolve. I wonder why Bandai Japan okayed it.
By DNA Data, I assume you're referring to DigiSoul which doesn't connect to DNA Digivolution because it's not even using the acronym to mean the same thing as DNA Digivolution.

The 'DNA' in DNA Digivolution refers to deoxyribonucleic acid, a polymer composed of two polynucleotide chains that coil around each other to form a double helix carrying genetic instructions for the development, functioning, growth and reproduction of all known organisms and many viruses.

The reason Bandai Japan uses the term DNA Digivolution for Jogress Evolution is because:
  1. Media, namely 02, depicts it as the two fusing Digimon turning into a pair of energy chains that spin in such close proximity to each other as to coil into a double helix:
  2. DNA Digivolution in the virtual pets can be described as using the Digimon equivalent of deoxyribonucleic acid from your Jogress partner's Digimon to further your own Digimon's Digivolution, in the same way that Jogress is a portmanteau of Joint Progress. Hell, this may in fact explain why the Profile report on Fusion/DNA Digivolution noted the sequential order of the fusing Digimon.
Conversely 'DNA' in Data Squad was an acronym for Digital Natural Ability, a visible aura created by a human's soul hence why it'd be more correct to use the original term of DigiSoul for this as Digimon World Data Squad did.

robotoboy

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
These delays are going to kill this game in the West. My shops community gets burnout so freaking bad, especially when the set is broken and require new cards to balance. Like right now it's Yellow/Hybrid Zoe all day every day... and they are FEELING it. They seemed to have fun at first, but yeah it's just grinding on them now because it's the same fast hybrid deck and Eyesmon. Also Bandai's decision to hold bans back until a new set releases hurts the game... because people know that bans are inevitable but have to experience the busted meta for 3 or 4 months after release.

It doesn't help that they keep delaying sets on queue every time. Why even announce a release date at this point? Market the card game without one and then post a release date a week out or so. Have my distributor just setup my allocations with an estimated release instead of a hard release time.

I don't know, all I do know is that it feels like Bandai doesn't care all that much about it as usual. I have been importing boxes of the new sets to give my players something to play around with because these 4 month meta's with impending ban lists have been hell on the game.

Muur

Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
These delays are going to kill this game in the West. My shops community gets burnout so freaking bad, especially when the set is broken and require new cards to balance. Like right now it's Yellow/Hybrid Zoe all day every day... and they are FEELING it. They seemed to have fun at first, but yeah it's just grinding on them now because it's the same fast hybrid deck and Eyesmon. Also Bandai's decision to hold bans back until a new set releases hurts the game... because people know that bans are inevitable but have to experience the busted meta for 3 or 4 months after release.

It doesn't help that they keep delaying sets on queue every time. Why even announce a release date at this point? Market the card game without one and then post a release date a week out or so. Have my distributor just setup my allocations with an estimated release instead of a hard release time.

I don't know, all I do know is that it feels like Bandai doesn't care all that much about it as usual. I have been importing boxes of the new sets to give my players something to play around with because these 4 month meta's with impending ban lists have been hell on the game.
This delay is only one week from the previous release date they gave for this set

robotoboy

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

This delay is only one week from the previous release date they gave for this set
Well my distributor originally told me the pre-release was this week basically and release was early May. Then it got pushed forward a week or so to early May for pre-release, then mid-May for release. Now it's late May for pre-release and end of May for release.

I'm NA by the way.

Muur

Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Well my distributor originally told me the pre-release was this week basically and release was early May. Then it got pushed forward a week or so to early May for pre-release, then mid-May for release. Now it's late May for pre-release and end of May for release.

I'm NA by the way.
So a double delay, Europe only got the 1 extra week rather than this extra week of yours.

Still at least it's not months long delays like some of the previous sets... delays are bad either way but still.

Then again the longer this delay goes on, the longer I can keep using SaviorHuckmon in my deck, so delay it more I say ;)

Kaleidos

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Almost no physical card game does banlist updates more than once per quarter and most don't even do that. Banning cards that are in the current set is a really good way to severely harm your revenue, so it's only done in emergencies.

And they can't do announcements a week before release, those dates are coordinated months in advance with the distributors outside of delays and having such short notice would make it so distributors don't have the ability to call in and receive their pre-purchased units in time for launch.