English Card Game Updates- Booster 4 & Starter 4, 5, 6 Promotions, Anniversary Cards, Pulsemon, Name Change Rules, & More!

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A bunch of English card game updates!

Various details we already knew already are being included when relevant.

First up...

englishtcg_aprilupdate_12greatlegend_april16_2021.png
englishtcg_aprilupdate_10greatlegend_april16_2021.png
englishtcg_aprilupdate_11greatlegend_april16_2021.jpg

Booster Set 4 Great Legend will be out June 11th.

It contains the same 115 cards as the Japanese release.

Booster packs will have 12 cards and be $4.

Various purchase bonuses include...

englishtcg_aprilupdate_13bxotopper_april16_2021.png

The 6 alternate art cards of Tamer cards in the set. These will be included as box toppers, 1 each per booster box.

And then, in a bit of a quick release surprise...

englishtcg_aprilupdate_14powerup_april16_2021.png
englishtcg_aprilupdate_15powerup_april16_2021.png

Each Great Legend booster box includes a "Great Legends Power Up Pack". Each Power Up Pack includes 2 (of 6) of the newly revealed English versions of the 1 year anniversary cards.

And last up for Booster Set 4...

englishtcg_aprilupdate_20greatdash_april16_2021.png
englishtcg_aprilupdate_21greatdash_april16_2021.png

The Great Dash pack will be included for every 12 packs of Great Legend purchased. Each contains 1 (of 3) of the 'dark' Digimon promo cards.

Next up is the Starter Decks...
englishtcg_aprilupdate_01gigagreen_april16_2021.jpg
englishtcg_aprilupdate_04machineblack_april16_2021.jpg
englishtcg_aprilupdate_07venomousviolet_april16_2021.jpg

All 3 starter decks contain the same 54 cards and 2 memory gauges as their Japanese equivalents, minus that the English version includes a single Great Legend booster pack in each box as a bonus.

All 3 are out on June 11th for $10.

englishtcg_aprilupdate_03gigagreen_april16_2021.png
englishtcg_aprilupdate_02gigagreen_april16_2021.png

Starter Deck 5 Giga Green

englishtcg_aprilupdate_06machineblack_april16_2021.png
englishtcg_aprilupdate_05machineblack_april16_2021.png

Starter Deck 5 Machine Black

englishtcg_aprilupdate_09venomousviolet_april16_2021.png
englishtcg_aprilupdate_08venomousviolet_april16_2021.png

Starter Deck 6 Venomous Violet

These also get a purchase bonus, one we saw above in fact...

englishtcg_aprilupdate_20greatdash_april16_2021.png
englishtcg_aprilupdate_21greatdash_april16_2021.png

The Great Dash pack will be included for every 2 Starter Decks purchased (only 4, 5, and 6 count for the promotion). Each contains 1 (of 3) of the 'dark' Digimon promo cards.

Next up, tournament events and promo cards...

englishtcg_aprilupdate_16tournament_april16_2021.jpg

The week before Great Legend comes out there will be Great Legends Pre-Release Tournament events in stores.

If a store can't safely or legally have events these can be given out as purchase promotions.
englishtcg_aprilupdate_17pulsemon_april16_2021.png
englishtcg_aprilupdate_18greatlegendearly_april16_2021.png

When the events are held, there will be 2 participation prizes/gifts...

The first is the first version of the Pulsemon promo card.

The second is a Great Legend Pre-Release Pack. This includes 2 (of 56 possible) pre-release cards for Great Legend. These are cards from Great Legends, stamped and identified as pre-release cards.

And then a Winner's Prize...

englishtcg_aprilupdate_19magnaangemon_april16_2021.png

A silver foil parallel card of MagnaAngemon. This is an English equivalent of the HolyAngemon card from Tamer Battle Pack 2, with some extra holoeffects it appears.

A bunch of updates on stuff coming out soon, with quite a few promo and parallel/alternate cards...

We also get a small additional group of rule updates for the English version of the card game...

A small set of rules is being added regarding character names that don't match between versions.

In these cases there will be rule additions specifically noting times that a character does not count when card text mentions a Digimon name.

The first ones are given are...

Does not count as 'Greymon':
DexDoruGreymon
DoruGreymon
BurningGreymon

Does not count as 'Garurumon':
KendoGarurumon

A ton of card updates before the weekend starts!

Attachments

• article.jpg
    article.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 12,132

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Nice to see they're finding ways to do all the promo cards.

And so they went the Yugioh route of "this guy doesnt count as part of this arcetype". I prefer this just so we stick to the dub names rather than use the JP names for those guys. It does seem like they're gonna need the opposite, even in japan, for Gaiomon counting as a Greymon species Digimon.

Also I wonder if this is confirmation that DoruGreymon and DexDoruGreymon are getting cards soon (in BT-6 maybe) or if it's just future proofing.

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Huh, so they did decide to implement the "Archetype Clause" after all. Not gonna lie, I would have just preferred the JPN names like Vritramon and Garmmon in most cases rather than the ENG renames, partially for simplicity but also because I don't care for the awkward shoving in of more Greymon and Garurumon names.

Presumably they won't be able to keep Frontier dub's "Mercurymon" since the Olympos XII's Mercurymon is now a thing. :unsure:

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Huh, so they did decide to implement the "Archetype Clause" after all. Not gonna lie, I would have just preferred the JPN names like Vritramon and Garmmon in most cases rather than the ENG renames, partially for simplicity but also because I don't care for the awkward shoving in of more Greymon and Garurumon names.

Presumably they won't be able to keep Frontier dub's "Mercurymon" since the Olympos XII's Mercurymon is now a thing. :unsure:

the Olympos one uses the name Merukimon and has done in all English media since the anime aired (the games before the Data Squad anime aired spelled it as Mercurimon)

Taso

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Not a fan of how this name rule is being handled, especially since the ruling isn't listed on the card itself. I'd feel bad for any player new to Digimon getting into the game, making a deck around these guys, and then later finding out the deck strategy isnt legal due to lack of general Digimon knowledge.

It creates both a barrier to entry as well as an online-ruling search requirement (having to always google edgecase rulings was one of the big flaws of Yugioh to me, particularly if you didn't even know you were supposed to be googling the edgecase ruling in the first place).

I really think they should've used the Japanese names, or listed the ruling on the card itself pre-emptively (especially since they're already aware of the issue before the card is printed).

jetman91

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This would be cool to look forward to if I could ever FIND DIGIMON CARDS IN MY AREA!!! Not a single store within a 50 mile radius of me carries Digimon TCG products!

Mattman324

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really think they should've used the Japanese names

As much as I would love for there to be more universally agreed on names, it's never going to happen, unfortunately. And not listing that stuff on the card is to prevent a card 3 years down the line that has no space for the inbuilt errata.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Not a fan of how this name rule is being handled, especially since the ruling isn't listed on the card itself. I'd feel bad for any player new to Digimon getting into the game, making a deck around these guys, and then later finding out the deck strategy isnt legal due to lack of general Digimon knowledge.

It creates both a barrier to entry as well as an online-ruling search requirement (having to always google edgecase rulings was one of the big flaws of Yugioh to me, particularly if you didn't even know you were supposed to be googling the edgecase ruling in the first place).

I really think they should've used the Japanese names, or listed the ruling on the card itself pre-emptively (especially since they're already aware of the issue before the card is printed).

It's fine, any card with a Greymon effect will state that you can't use those three Digimon (same for Garurumon). you dont gotta go to the website, it just says "[When attacking][Once per turn] If this Digimon has [Omnimon] or [Greymon] (other than [DoruGreymon], [BurningGreymon], or [DexDoruGreymon]) in its name, trigger < Draw 1 >. (Draw 1 card from your deck.) on Koromon's card.

Any Greymon support card will state you can't use those guys. there wont be a situation where the thing you said happens

only problem is that one Agumon promo card doesnt exclude those guys so it'll be a problem for that one card only. theyll prob re-print it and say you cant use the old version any more.

Kit Chan

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is why you don't rename things that don't say Greymon to include Greymon.

This is Summoned Skull and Bardock the scientist all over again.