English Card Game Starter Decks will be $10 and come with a Booster Pack

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Another update on the US release of the Digimon Card Game.

Via a social media update, the starter decks are each confirmed to cost $10, and they will come with a booster pack. 2 memory gauges will also be included.

Interestingly, the decks are listed as being 54 cards, same as the Japanese starters.

Prior card game updates can be found here and here.

Update- Corrected an error regarding card numbers.

Attachments

Last edited:

Nightwing

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I’m pretty sure the original decks were also 50 cards. 4 DigiTama cards plus the 50 regular deck cards.

Deep Saver

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Pretty great price considering the number of cards and that it includes a booster!

SparkGold

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I’m pretty sure the original decks were also 50 cards. 4 DigiTama cards plus the 50 regular deck cards.
yep, same card amount! Also, the Japanese starters were the equivalent of $5 US but these come with a booster that is normally $3.99 so it's nice that they do try to supplement that price increase even though it's expected for trading cards to cost less in Japan

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
You are correct, it looks like 53 was written a few places by mistake when I pulled it up to look.

Tetsuya Suoh

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh wow. I don't remember how much the original starter packs were, but I feel like they were way more expensive than this for some reason. I'm not that much into card games to begin with, but my fiance is, and I got him a few MTG Boosters for his birthday and I think those alone were, like, $5 each and only had about 10 cards. This is double the price, but with more than 5x the amount of cards, being a starter and all.
So, all in all, this feels pretty cheap to me. I legit thought starter packs for card games were, like $30 these days.

EDIT: Just realized I was confusing starter decks with starter packs. NVM

Last edited:

Youkomon

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Do you guys think this will be successful this time around? I remember the first time the original trading card game came to the United States, it was a flop in the end… Then they tried re-introducing it in a different style but then that flopped but I can’t really remember if it failed as quickly as the original did. Let’s just hope that this one is more well received, and I’m not just talking about the older fans either. I hope younger people will get into it as well.

RogueX4

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Odd I thought I had left a message. Anyways I’ll ask again: MarcFBR will you guys report on when the preorders will go up and any good websites to buy from?

Do you guys think this will be successful this time around? I remember the first time the original trading card game came to the United States, it was a flop in the end… Then they tried re-introducing it in a different style but then that flopped but I can’t really remember if it failed as quickly as the original did. Let’s just hope that this one is more well received, and I’m not just talking about the older fans either. I hope younger people will get into it as well.
I’m genuinely hoping it will be this time. I have a lot of fond memories collecting and playing the original trading card game that came out to the states. I was really sad when it died however rose tinted glasses aside the game was a mess. Barely anyone I knew could understand it and everything after series II felt off. It was years later that I learned about the original Hyper Colosseum and saw how badly botched the usa version was. I have no idea what happened there. After that all the other Digimon card games that came out (D-Tector, TCG, and the Xros Was one) felt like cheap badly done cash ins. They all died out faster than the original one.

I’m absolutely positive that if they remain faithful to the Japanese one this time it will be a hit. I’ve been playing it on Steam using Table Top Simulator and it’s absolutely fantastic! Simple to get in and really fun to play. I think it also captures what Digimon is and adapts it into a card game quite well. All we can do is hope for the best.

Mattman324

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Worth mentioning that while this is double the price, the booster pack in the box is also double the size of a Japanese booster pack, since it seems that at least the Special Boosters will be doing 12 cards a pack. I think the original price of the deck + 2 booster packs is a bit higher than what we're paying for, barely.

Either way this is still a fine price. especially as a former magic player, a whole starter deck for the price of a pack, yick.