DVPet - Mod Master Thread

Eiji

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Sponsored by TheUnderSigned himself, and graciously allowed by our lovely mods, it’s the thread of the century, where we all try to organize ourselves and not make fifteen thousand posts in the normal DVPet thread or try to make our own threads.

Flair aside, this is the official place to post any mods you’ve made for the Java app known as DVPet, which you can find in these very forums. I’ll organize the master post myself to ensure everyone’s mods get a place to shine and anyone can find what they’re looking for. Besides being a resource for the already existing community, I hope this encourages those who are looking but not playing to try it out, and those who are playing but not modding to give it a whirl, given it’s so easy even I can do it.

Some short rules for the thread to make sure we’re not a hassle:

• Make one major post per specific mod you’re making. You can post wips and stuff and chat in the thread, or do the same over at the original DVPet thread, but keep it to one post per mod. If, for example, you’re altering sprites, it’s okay to post wips of what you’re doing, but when you update the download itself, make sure it’s on the original post you made about the mod. This is the post that will be linked in the master list, so keep it clean! You do want people to play your mod, right?
  • If using resources you didn’t make (Official sprites, art or music by other members of the community, etc) make sure you give credit. And when using fan-made resources, remember to ask the original poster if you can bundle it with your mod.
  • Keep downloads clean and friendly. Google Drive and Dropbox are excellent options. Avoid shady websites and URL shorteners. Remember to number mod versions if you’re doing updates and be explicit about what the download itself contains.
  • Please add instructions to your post. While theundersigned has made it very easy to mod the game to our little digiheart's content, not everyone is gonna be aware of how to install and play with mods, especially if it involves something harder than a resource replacement.

Now, onto the good stuff;

Digimon V-Pet: Modding Masterlist

Eiji’s Custom Shell PSD File + Premade Custom Shells

Lammergeier's Colorization Mod, WIP

Last edited:

Eiji

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Eiji’s Custom Shell PSD File + Premade Custom Shells

(Note: I was originally gonna make several packs of premade shells but I've since gotten sick and I can't look at the screen for too long. The custompacks will be here asap but for now, enjoy the .PSD itself)

Bored of the fantastic shell sprite options theundersigned has graced us with? Wanna feel special? Color code the V-Shell to the V-Pet? You weren’t even aware you could mod the look of the shells but now you’re interested?

May I introduce you to the Custom Shell PSD! It’s just a photoshop file with a lot of layers!

With at least 21 options each for Body, Frame, Buttons and Panel Lines, my calculator is telling me that there’s about… 85766121 variations you can make just by hiding and showing different layers. Minimal knowledge of image editing needed, well organized so you can find what you want in a jiffy, compatible with anything that opens PSD files, and if you do know a little something about image editing, then the possibilities are endless.

Easy for anyone who doesn’t have the know-how to make their own shells, and for those with more experience with photoshop, a total time saver.

Except for me, this took forever.

But wait! There’s more!

Not everyone wants to fiddle around with a photoshop file, or maybe you don’t have access to a program that can open PSDs. It happens.

So I ALSO made several custom shells based off the V-pets, the games and even the anime. Note, I’m very sick and I’ve been meaning to post this thread for a while so there’s a limited quantity of shells available at the moment. And I will be adding more in the future, to make sure everyone has their V-pets as unique as their Digimon.

Now, onto explanations and downloads.

First off, good news everyone, if you were previously bothered by how the key icon would remain grey if you had a different colored clip, the newest DVPet download should fix that, as theundersigned and I worked on it. If you don’t wanna re-download the entire game, I will also be including the little fix in this post. Thanks again to undersigned for listening to me rambling about shells.

Quick Tutorials!

Making your own shell:

Open the PSD with a program that can both edit PSD files and save with transparency. Transparency is very important. Photoshop or something like Clip Studio Paint and Paint Tool Sai is preferred, but if you’re not an artist, using free software is just as good.

Gimp and Paint.Net should work from what I remember, but I’ve played around with https://www.photopea.com/ and it works amazing at mimicking photoshop.

You’re gonna see folders, and when you open those folders there’s gonna be a LOT of layers, so let’s take this step by step as best as we can (I’m using an unfinished version of the PSD for these example shots)

By default, all layers will be hidden. Make sure you have the UI layer always visible, especially when you export it at the end (Guess how I learned that one). You can start wherever you want but starting with the body is a good idea if you’re overwhelmed.

Let’s make something cool for this example. My favorite colors are orange and blue, so I’m gonna pick that.

This is pretty good already. The default orange isn’t bad, but it’s too yellow for my taste. All I did here was open the folder that says body, and unhide the redorange layer. If you’re looking at the examples or the PSD itself, though, you might notice there’s a folder within the folder.

Pretty sweet, huh? Remember the late 90s, early 2000s where translucent electronics were super cool? Good times. All I did here was unhide the redorange layer inside the folder called “clear/skeleton body”. Remember how layers work when you’re editing. The top layer is gonna overlay the bottom layer. In this case, I didn’t bother hiding the original redorange layer.

Hopefully, even if you’ve never opened a PSD file before, you’re starting to get the hang of it for now. I want this shell to look a little more special. In the inner frames folder, you have a little more detail to add to your shell. But if you leave the folder hidden, you’ll just see the color of the V-Pet underneath the clip. With a little copy and pasting, you could even mix and max! Let’s play around with the layers to make a shell we’re happy with.

And here we go! Maybe not the prettiest thing in the world though… A quick reminder of all the folders: Body is the main body, clear/skeleton are translucent versions of the main colors, inner frames are the side bars next to your digimon, clips are the little frames around the cage, panel lines are the spaces between the bricks and within panel lines, you have hi detail panel lines with shadows and highlights. Now your shell is ready to go and all you need to do it is export it as a transparent PNG.

How to install:

If everything’s gone well, you’ll have either a shell you made yourself, a shell someone made for you, or one of the shells I posted here. But how do you use it in-game?

As of now, support for custom skins/shells is on the backlog, so it’s not as easy as pressing a button and uploading your creation. You’ll have to replace one of the existing default shells.

You’ll need something like 7zip to be able to access the game files. Dig into the folders until you find the .jar, then right click and open the archive with 7zip (or a similar program). You should be able to find a folder within the game files called resources. Rename your custom shell to the name of the shell you want to replace. If you’re having trouble finding the shell you want to replace, here’s a quick list of the default shells:

redShell.png
yellowShell.png
purpleShell.png
blueShell.png
greenShell.png
brownShell.png
pinkShell.png
greyShell.png
orangeShell.png
blackShell.png
whiteShell.png

Make sure it’s exactly the same. Then drop your custom shell into the archive window. It might ask you to confirm if you want to copy, so just say yes. If an error occurs, make sure DVPet is closed. Then just load up the game. The game can’t recognize when shells have been replaced, since the shell select screen is just a flat image, so you’ll have to remember what shell you replaced. For example, if you replaced redShell.png with your custom shell, select the red shell.

And there you have it, your own personal shell! Not that hard, was it? There’s 11 default shells, so you can have up to 11 custom shells at the same time. But you can always save the shells you’ve made or downloaded under another name in another folder. Try matching your shell to your Digimon or adding little pixel drawings to the shells you’ve made.

And finally…

Downloads:

Custom Brick Shell PSD 1.0.0.

Based on the original shells included in game.

Key Press Fix

Temporary. Add it to your resource files to avoid the grey key of ugly.

And while I don't have the complete custompacks I wanted to have, check out this Imgur album for all the shells I made so far. Forgive any dupes or mistakes. As soon as I can look at a computer for more than 10 minutes, I'll delivery the custom packs I promised.

GenericUsernamemon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Lammergeier's Colorization Mod, WIP
Really self explanatory, a mod trying to color all the sprites in the game. Also sneaking in a couple extra sprites, such as Agumon Hakase, the Data Squad versions of Agumon and Kudamon, the original Falcomon and alternative sprites for Gomamon and Gazimon from Digimon Unlimited. Credits to Baby Wich for the attack sprites and Shadow for the food and alternative Koromon sprites. So far just the eggs, babies, rookies and a few interface things are done.
Simply download the images from here https://imgur.com/a/87cPMxe
Download each image and name them correctly using the names I give you. Do not ignore capitalization it will mess your game up.
Open up DVPet.jar in 7zip or winrar or whatever you use and drag the images into the resources folder. I would back it up first.

Last edited:

minsue

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Forgive me i'm dumb on the color mod I see for the sprites it lists a name then the digimon within do I need to just use the name or do I need to also use each individual digimons name?

theundersigned

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
When you download each image, you need to save it in the format of "sprites[Stage]#"

So, for example, spritesFresh0. The names are at the top of each image in that link. Then you just drop it into the resources folder in the jar, overwrite the default file, and you're good to go. But keep in mind that file names are case sensitive. So if you replace spritesFresh0 with SpritesFresh0, it won't work.

The most recent update should make it a little easier so that you don't have to open the jar. Just drop the files into the mod folder and the program will take care of the rest.

Gouitsu

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Heres a small collection of shells I've made.

Download: DV Shells Pack

All colours avaliable for each varient.

Loke

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wasn't there one that added the sprites to the Mothra Tamagotchi?