Drama CD + Novel translations

Exiled

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, Daisuke appeared as one of the kidnaped children and Oikawa got mentioned. I guess that hints that 02 still happened in this "timeline".

-Taichi and Hikari still remember her old whistle, and the novel's last line is that winter was approaching.
So, they were watching Game of Thrones?

Yasushi

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The novel makes no mention of 02's events during the epilogue, the closest to it would be Daisuke's cameo, plus brief mention of Iori and his family - neither of these are in the epilogue; they occur earlier. Knowing the infamous 02 epilogue was, by Kakudo's admission, originally planned for Adventure, I'm wondering if this is perhaps how he'd intended the series to end.

On another note, novel!Yamato is very critical of Mimi while she's mourning Wizarmon, Whamon and Leomon (who, by the way, dies during the fight with Metal Seadramon; Metal Etemon doesn't appear), while the novel later states that he sees his mother in Sora.

Kuzehiko

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't buy that Kakudou said about the epilogue of 02 was already planned for 01, it makes no sense at all. I want to believe the novel's epilogue is the one he truly wanted to show for 01's original ending.

So a Sorato hint? Sounds cute the way you said, Yamato saw his mother in Sora.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't buy that Kakudou said about the epilogue of 02 was already planned for 01, it makes no sense at all. I want to believe the novel's epilogue is the one he truly wanted to show for 01's original ending.
I've always assumed it was people asking him questions on Twitter and elsewhere, and taking his answers overly literally to be honest.

His meaning was likely that they planned to do a jump ahead epilogue.

Regardless, people are asking people things when they are years and years removed from working on it, when they, at the time, immediately moved on to working on a sequel. Memories getting muddled wouldn't be shocking.

Kuzehiko

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah, ahead epilogue most likely. How would be possible 01's epilogue had been 02's when Adventure 02's events, characters and plot hadn't been written down over the end of Adventure 01, that's why it makes no sense.

I agree on that.

Last edited:

Yasushi

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
For what it's worth, the afterword has Kakudo stating that he originally planned to have Adventure end with a look at like 28 years after, but that halfway through the series, a decision was made to do a second series. Make of that what you will.

That said, more notable changes:
- Yamato isn't brainwashed to turn evil by Jureimon; rather, he gets into a fight with Taichi, at one point criticizing Mimi for not wanting to fight, and that's the reason she and Jo leave the rest of the group. (Knowing Kakudo is rather notoriously pro-Sorato, is this him criticizing those who liked Mimi with Yamato?)
- No War Greymon vs. Metal Garurumon.
- Leomon is already dead by the time Jo and Mimi find Ogremon, having been killed during the fight with Metal Seadramon.
-Andromon and Leomon had been in contact before the kids returned to the Digital World.

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
On another note, novel!Yamato is very critical of Mimi while she's mourning Wizarmon, Whamon and Leomon
That's interesting, especially since Yamato defending her was one of the few points in the anime where he wasn't acting like a total ass. Him not going into total "I'll kill my firend with my Digimon"-mode might alleviate that a bit but oh well.

For what it's worth, the afterword has Kakudo stating that he originally planned to have Adventure end with a look at like 28 years after, but that halfway through the series, a decision was made to do a second series. Make of that what you will.
Since many elements of the 02 epilogue rely on 02 specific events There isn't really anything to make of such a vague mention.

he gets into a fight with Taichi, at one point criticizing Mimi for not wanting to fight, and that's the reason she and Jo leave the rest of the group. (Knowing Kakudo is rather notoriously pro-Sorato, is this him criticizing those who liked Mimi with Yamato?)
Long lasting relationships aren't based on squabbles in fifth grade... if Kakudo tried sending specific pairing messages like that he'd be just as much of a silly person than the shippers themselves.

That's too bad, especially since the novel tends to not hold back as much when it comes to fights like the anime did.

- Leomon is already dead by the time Jo and Mimi find Ogremon, having been killed during the fight with Metal Seadramon.
I guess MetalSeadramon has quite a body count of supporting characxters then.... two. Still noteable for a story like adventure I'd say.

-Andromon and Leomon had been in contact before the kids returned to the Digital World.
So was Leomon part of Andromon's resistance movement hen? in the anime it felt kinda weird that Andromon was the only member (of course by the time of the Mugendramon arc that might be the case again...)

Tetra Seleno

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
-Wizarmon thanking Tailmon while dying, stating he's glad they met and that his life would have been meaningless had they not (did Kakudo watch the dub?)
- Fantomon is briefly mentioned when the Bakemon abduct Taichi's parents, and isn't killed during Angewomon's first appearance - instead, he's among those eaten by the bats.
- Yamato actually meets with his mother again, and she's present during Zudomon's first appearance. The parents later meet up, and the novel says that while Takeru and Yamato were happy to see their family again, the parents can't feel the same way.
-Taichi briefly bumps into Daisuke in the park, and we later hear a snippet of Daisuke's thoughts while he's among the captured children.
-Oikawa is briefly mentioned while Takeru and Natsuko reminisce over the Hikarigaoka incident from four years earlier.
- Piemon's keychain shtick from the anime is excised; he instead pulls a chainsaw on War Greymon and attempts to saw his legs off. Oddly, the novel includes a black and white shot of him with everyone as keychains.
- Angemon does not become Holy Angemon until the fight against Apocalymon
That said, more notable changes:
- Yamato isn't brainwashed to turn evil by Jureimon; rather, he gets into a fight with Taichi, at one point criticizing Mimi for not wanting to fight, and that's the reason she and Jo leave the rest of the group. (Knowing Kakudo is rather notoriously pro-Sorato, is this him criticizing those who liked Mimi with Yamato?)
Thank you, Yasushi. So there weren't any notable changes to the adaptations of the Mugendramon episodes?

B-mon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think that when Kakudou says the 02 epilogue was meant for Adventure, he most likely meant it in a very bare-bones "flashforward to adulthood, everyone has jobs and kids," and specific details like jobs weren't necessarily ironed out. At least, that's how I read it. Of course it's not an exact transplant; the scene where Ken and Stingmon become detectives would make even less sense than it does now, because Ken and Stingmon didn't exist back then.

So... Natsuko, of the Dark Seed children, is in these? Wouldn't she have been a baby when all this is happening? Did you mean to type "Hikari" or someone else?

Yasushi

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So, they were watching Game of Thrones?
I'm guessing it's a nod to the CD drama set in November 1999, where Taichi and Agumon talk over the computer. Mind, I'm not sure if Kakudo had a role in that; just a thought.

Thank you, Yasushi. So there weren't any notable changes to the adaptations of the Mugendramon episodes?
Not significantly, apart from Waru Monzaemon not appearing. Although, there is some inexplicable dickery from Taichi at the beginning, namely him asking everyone to not let their partners evolve so as to conserve energy (huh?!). Also, his flashback from episode 48 is not shown.

So... Natsuko, of the Dark Seed children, is in these? Wouldn't she have been a baby when all this is happening? Did you mean to type "Hikari" or someone else?
I'm referring to Takeru's mother, in fact I didn't know there was another Natsuko.

Last edited:

Shadow Shinji

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Skull Satamon and Marine Devimon appear as Piemon's underlings, and participate in the final battle.
Does Lady Devimon appear too? If so, this is clearly a pun on the Daemon Corps (and maybe even on the Dark Seed of Ken Ichijouji? We should keep in mind that Ken was meant to be one of the original Chose Children.)

Last edited:

Yasushi

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Sabrblade

Seized the time
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The main Dark Seed girl was "Noriko".

Yasushi

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Update: Andromon does briefly talk about the wall of fire, stating that there were two conflicting ideologies when the Digital World came into existence, and that when one of them won, the Digital World's rules were established. The novel later says that Hikari previously saw Numemon in the real world, but thought they were disgusting living things.

Last edited:

Yasushi

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Update: the two ideologies were evolution and refraining from evolving. Apocalymon detested evolution. Is that perhaps the backstory that was being inquired about?

Yasushi

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Pardon the double post, but a few more things.

First off, let me get this out of the way - I missed a section in the book; it does make mention of Apocalymon's original seal, stating that the children and partner Digimon were not enough to seal him for good. I sincerely apologize for the oversight; no doubt people have been misled. It also states that four of the Digimon became the Sovereigns.

Next up, some more changes:

-Piemon's data is absorbed by Apocalymon (I'm guessing the writers had been giving Tamers a watch?)
- The entity who possessed Hikari in episode 45 instead appears during the children's first encounter with Apocalymon
-Piccolomon is killed during Apocalymon's first appearance; the Dark Masters are never together when facing the children.
-The book mentions the black ball Piemon put in Gennai, and implies that it would later disable him from moving around freely. It also states that it was a seed of darkness, necessary for dark Digimon.

Last edited:

Stingmon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Did it meantion the fight between Puppetmon and MetalEtemon in the third book?