Do you expect Digimon Ghost Game just like Digimon Tamers?

Roberto zampari

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Do you expect the season Digimon Ghost Game just like Digimon Tamers?
Everyone thinks about how Ghost Game be darker like Tamers and everyone thinks that Digimon needs some darker moments.
Also, this is the second Digimon Season whose the main character digimon doesn't evolve, THE FIRST WAS TAMERS. (correct me if i'm wrong)
Do you expect an government organization like Hypnos or DATS appear in Ghost Game? I believe that these Digimon incidents would catch attention of the government.

Nemomon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Nah, if anything it will go Appmons route. I don't think they wanted to make a serious ghosts Digimon anime, because if they wanted to the first episode would be darker and much more serious than it was. I think GG is meant to be a silly kids anime about some "scary" ghosts, and that's it. I don't expect anything deeper from it (which is kinda funny considering that Appmons did have a deeper meaning with that singularities, Kurzweil and other word plays).

Eitaroutarouman

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
First of all, this is the third series to not have a first ep evolution, after Appmon. Fourth if you don't count Koromon -> Agumon in Adventure. Secondly, Tamers isn't dark. A bit of creepy imagery doesn't make a show dark.

Mon-Ohma

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Since I don’t consider Tamers to be all that dark (at-least not to the level some fans dress it up as), not really.
What I expect (and hope) is for it to deliver something new and interesting with its more supernatural approach. Since Tamers was more Science Fiction centred, where as the likes of Adventure tended to lean more towards fantasy.

The most important thing is how it handles the characters. That‘s really what’ll make or break it for me.

Roberto zampari

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What I expect (and hope) is for it to deliver something new and interesting with its more supernatural approach. Since Tamers was more Science Fiction centred, where as the likes of Adventure tended to lean more towards fantasy.
Digimon Tamers was created by Chiaki J. Konaka, the same creator of Serial Experiments Lain.
I hope that Ghost Game explain where came the Digimon and why they are attacking the human world.

The new Ghost Game episode (Episode 2) show some parallels between the relationship "Hiro-Gammamon" and "Takato-Guilmon".
The creator must have inspired Tamers to create these cute moments. Don't you agree?

e105zeta

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Tamers wasn’t necessarily dark, I would call it “mature” instead - it’s a mature story that happens to have children protagonists like Stranger Things and His Dark Materials.

That being said, the actors cited Kitarō as the main influence and I believe them.

There seems to be some Tamers influence too, obviously. The attributes of the 3 partners are similar, Angoramon looks like Terriermon and Lopmon’s fat older brother, and Gammamon’s personality feels like a more human Guilmon (who was pretty much written like a talking dog and not so much a human).

Kotekuma

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thank you, e105zeta, for clarifying the word choice.

I didn't take the OP as saying Tamers was dark itself, but rather it is "darker" than other series. Just a comparison- not a description. More mature or a having a heavier tone might better describe the difference.

Adventure dealt with serious themes through Sora, Matt and Izzy. Zero-02 had Oikawa and Ken. We're talking learning of adoption, depression, death of a sibling... So what makes Tamers seem "darker" or "more mature". I think its genre and tone. And Jerry's gut-wrenching screams. So in that sense, yea Ghost Game seems to lean in the direction.

Thatguy3331

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I would say no. Tamers basically wore what it was on it's sleeve from the word go and Ghost Game in comparison feels more like "spoopy half hour time" than "Children grappling with complicated issues that come from befriending living digital monsters."

Ghost game feels like a mix between Tamers and Applimon to me but I think that by the end it might not resemble much of either beyond shallow broad strokes like "Oh look they fight a bad guy in the end of the story who was built up over time" or something.

Whatever it turns out to be, I just hope it's good and entertaining/interesting.

Last edited:

Master-Element

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I would say no. Tamers basically wore what it was on it's sleeve from the word go and Ghost Game in comparison feels more like "spoopy half hour time" than "Children grappling with complicated issues that come from befriending living digital monsters."

Ghost game feels like a mix between Tamers and Applimon to me but I think that by the end it might not resemble much of either beyond shallow broad strokes like "Oh look they fight a bad guy in the end of the story who was built up over time" or something.

Whatever it turns out to be, I just hope it's good and entertaining/interesting.
It's possible that the characters will have personal growth during the series like tamers did. I mean the characters start off so silly you would have to build to something more serious rather then jump right into it. Then again hiro has seen two fucked up instances that would affect a normal child, and was unphased

Sparrow Hawk

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Haven't watched Youkai Watch or that George something title.

I was expecting Ghost Game season is just youkai version of Tamers but to discover it's actually lighter version of... I don't know what to describe. To be honest character designs are so much simpler and less darker backgrounds. But seeing victims being harmed gave me a bit of Fate Stay Zero. Honestly victims in Fate Stay Zero were the most unluckiest ones...

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yokai Watch wasn't terrible. ...Didn't go anywhere in the US though. I think Europe likes it. But it was more comedic. Not scary at all.

Bancho

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
tbh do yourself a favor and don't have expectations that Ghost Game is going to be like something else while going in. Just let it tell whatever stories it tells in its own isolated universe and have fun with the unique experience. Only being 2 episodes in going "is this going to be just like Tamers?" feels like your expectations for a whole series are getting dangerously specific too fast

Yamato-san

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This seems like a good way of putting it. I mean, some freaky stuff occurs, but thus far, everyone turns up fine at the end. Even with Hiro's father, I'd say there isn't a whole lot to build up when we know he's apparently alive and well (AND he acts as a bit of comic relief when he does show up). Of course, we're only at the 2nd episode thus far, but just think about where Tamers was at this point: they were already building up an overlying arc about a secretive government organization whose intentions were still unknown, all while two of the main characters were entering a conflict of their own. It might also be of note that most of the characters in Tamers were played up perfectly straight, whereas Ghost Game has already presented a few goofball personalities.

I'd agree with the comparisons to Gegege no Kitarou, just replace youkai with Digimon. What little story progression there's been so far has all been mixed in alongside a monster-of-the-week plot (with episode 3 looking much the same). It's alright, but I wouldn't liken it to Tamers, which is pretty well-known for featuring one continuous plot throughout its first few episodes. Still, I do like the feel of Ghost Game thus far, and I am hopeful to see how it could eventually escalate (though I wonder if the horror theme will give us anything like the more disturbing Kitarou plotlines, with Kitarou featuring quite a few episodes in which a character meets a twisted fate or comes to realize they've been dead the whole time..... it was basically a kids' show that didn't flinch at telling its audience that not everyone can be saved).

Last edited:

GoggleBoy97

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I believe comparing different series, especially when it comes to Digimon where every different iteration is so different and unique, it's a misleading mindset. My personal advice would be to enjoy Ghost Game for what it is. Also Tamers is cool and probably the most elaborated and well written Digimon season so far, but it's far from being flawless as any other Digimon anime is.