Do the digivices use the dub names on the screen even in the original?

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So not the version we got on Crunchyroll. The ones you'd see if you got a Japanese DVD

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I would assume they do, but I can’t confirm it.

xSHiNOx

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
you mean when a digimon digivolves and it shows text behind them? if that is what you are referring to, they use the original names of the digimon in english IIRC

DBxDigimon_fan

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I haven't seen the original Japanese DVD, but I think the dubbers replace the names. If you look closely when Angemon evolves to HolyAngemon or when Plotmon evolves to Tailmon, it does look like the text displaying their dub name is in bold while normally it isn't. In fact, they accidentally missed one when Kabuterimon evolves to AtlurKabuterimon, it still says "AtlurKabuterimon" instead of his dub name and it isn't bold like it is in the case of Tailmon or HolyAngemon.

Shadow Shinji

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
First of all, are you talking about Adventure, about tri., or overall about any anime season?

For example in Adventure, I can tell they retain also the "English" name in the original Japanese; you only have to look at the Digimon Adventure PSP game which never got into the West: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5VMwXKZryw. There's something really funny about tri., Tailmon's evolution sequence retains its English dub name, same as Salamon, as you can see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy74uKJ7O3w (08:40).

As for the rest of seasons, they normally show up some way or another an English name or at least some kind of romanization:
- In Adventure 02 or Savers same as in Adventure.
- In Tamers or Frontier no name caption anywhere.
- In Xros Wars they show the English name just before going into the DigiXros, with some mispellings like Dorurumon.
- In Young Hunters nothing either in the Chou Shinka or the Xros Up sequences.
- In AppliMonsters you can see the English translation of the name in both the Appli Driver and the final caption of each sequence.

Hope it helps!

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
He specified that he was asking about Tri, and whether the dub names used in the evolution sequences were the same in the original version.

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
He specified that he was asking about Tri, and whether the dub names used in the evolution sequences were the same in the original version.
He still provided some neat information, I was unaware they used dub names in anything but Tri, that other guy is right hat they do seem edited in for Crunchyroll which is why I'm asking, cuz I wanna know if they count as technically Japanese names, I guess since theyre used on screen in the actual Japanese product

I can't look at the Xros video btw, Hasbro blocked it in the UK

Last edited:

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, they don't use the dub names very often, they just write the original names in English. Can't remember how it was in the 02 dub, but 02's Analyzer actually spelled out all the Digimon's names in English. This made it especially jarring with the official subs, seeing "BELIALVAMDEMON" at the top of the Analyzer screen and then reading "MaloMyotismon" in the subtitles.

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, they don't use the dub names very often, they just write the original names in English. Can't remember how it was in the 02 dub, but 02's Analyzer actually spelled out all the Digimon's names in English. This made it especially jarring with the official subs, seeing "BELIALVAMDEMON" at the top of the Analyzer screen and then reading "MaloMyotismon" in the subtitles.
Still official usage tho, such a weird thing to do in the first place, randomly using dub names. You wont see "Charizard" in a Pokemon episode for example

and it was th same for Tri, since they didn't put "MegaKabuterimon", but the official subs said that.

but it must also be weird for anyone in Japan watching it and who knows English and then sees "Gatomon" on the digivice lol

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm curious now to learn whether "Gatomon," etc. were always used in Tri. I'd assumed that it was part of the Japanese version, but considering Crunchyroll did other stuff like censoring blood, and people have pointed out that the dub names' text style looks different, maybe it was changed after all. I doubt anyone here bought a Japanese release of it, though, since the version over here did have the Japanese audio track and subtitles of a sort.

but it must also be weird for anyone in Japan watching it and who knows English and then sees "Gatomon" on the digivice lol
I doubt they pay much attention, but since English is widely taught in Japan it would be much more likely for that to happen than it is for an English-speaking dub-watcher to notice that the names and attacks being spoken don't match the katakana on the Analyzer screens.

Muur

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm curious now to learn whether "Gatomon," etc. were always used in Tri. I'd assumed that it was part of the Japanese version, but considering Crunchyroll did other stuff like censoring blood, and people have pointed out that the dub names' text style looks different, maybe it was changed after all. I doubt anyone here bought a Japanese release of it, though, since the version over here did have the Japanese audio track and subtitles of a sort.

I doubt they pay much attention, but since English is widely taught in Japan it would be much more likely for that to happen than it is for an English-speaking dub-watcher to notice that the names and attacks being spoken don't match the katakana on the Analyzer screens.
We didn't get Digimon World 2 in Europe, but footage I've seen makes me cringe when they yell the attack name and the words say something completely different lol. at least the sistermons are the same in both lanuages, as they say their attacks in HM which is rare.

and the only one that seems to look 'different' on CR is MagnaAngemon, which is likely edited in as the previous film showed "holyangemon", only for the next one to show Magna, meaning its likely Magna was edited by CR themselves (but still left in Atlur). the rest, IMO at least, look the same. eg, gatomon and agumon

I also had no clue the blood was censored. I guess it's red in japan, not black?

as for digi analyser screens, yeah that's why they were lazy. only like 0.1% of fans will have seen whats written. makes snowmanmon funny due to his unintentional evil ness

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I also had no clue the blood was censored. I guess it's red in japan, not black?
Yeah. I'm not sure, but I believe it was only black in the Crunchyroll version, and in the English Bluray release it went back to being blood-colored.

Deep Saver

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah. I'm not sure, but I believe it was only black in the Crunchyroll version, and in the English Bluray release it went back to being blood-colored.
Wow, I had assumed they made the blood darker-colored in that scene in part 6 because they wanted to give the impression that it had started to dry and clot. Never even crossed my mind that they might have censored it.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Still, we don't know for certain though that the video was taken from a Japanese Bluray, since the English release came with Japanese audio as well.

BladeSabre

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hmm, right, it might be or it might not. But I guess it explains what this thread is about if anyone still doesn't get it.

So, does anyone here have the Japanese Tri disks or know someone who does?