Discotek has Digimon Adventure- New Digital Remaster on Blu-ray- Dub First, Sub Later

taz111

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That's cool to hear! But I'm confused a bit. Can someone explain, why they would use the Fox Kids Dub and not redub it with accurate translations? Is this just a distribution license? Also, considering the new Adventure 2020 is coming, can we expect Discotek to have the distribution licenses to that too?

shynely

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Can someone explain, why they would use the Fox Kids Dub and not redub it with accurate translations?
Presumably this is because Discotek lack the resources or the inclination to hire everybody required to record 54 whole episodes of a new dub.

Yamato-san

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That's cool to hear! But I'm confused a bit. Can someone explain, why they would use the Fox Kids Dub and not redub it with accurate translations? Is this just a distribution license? Also, considering the new Adventure 2020 is coming, can we expect Discotek to have the distribution licenses to that too?
Because dubbing is an extremely costly and time-consuming process (especially for a 50+ episode series, with the possibility of releases for other 50+ episode series down the line). It's reasonable to think that they could only use an English dub that already existed, even if it's a very dated, unfaithful one.

On the other hand, they probably could've done like NISA's Cardcaptor Sakura release and include the Singapore dub. Though maybe getting the license to that is a whole other can of worms (then again, the dub they went with likely required them to go through Fox, and thus Disney, so I dunno). Plus, I guess there's the nostalgia appeal, since a LOT of people grew up with the Saban dub.

Quinnzel

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Both versions? Damn. Never thought we'd see a blu-ray release for any early stuff outside of Japan, especially subbed. Love that the eye theme for the discs was kept! The sample scenes look fantastic too. I guess that's the kind of attention to detail ya get when you have an actual longtime fan who gives a shit overlooking the project. Bigly looking forward to this... and hoping it does well enough for more seasons in the future.

Cardcaptor Takato

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
In addition the Saban Digimon dub has an important legacy status with the franchise and there would be a lot more fans angry if it wasn't included than fans disappointed there isn't a new dub. TBH, I don't think the Saban is that outdated. It's not like a modern 1:1 dub but compared to other NA TV dubs of that era, they did a lot to keep a lot of the more serious family drama themes and aside from a lot of Americanized jokes added in, the plot is essentially the same as the original show. Like there's enough differences to make watching the sub version interesting but it's not like on the level of Robotech where they combined three shows in one or the OG Sailor Moon dub where they made the Outers "cousins." It's faithful to the spirit of the original show and you can tell it was a passion project for the people who worked hard on the Saban dub to make it a quality product that can stand on it's own and there's a lot of talented professional voice actors in the Saban dub who put their all into those roles.

Last edited:

Santaskid

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
At first glance, on a purely surface level I can't help but groan and be disappointed.

2 separate releases ? Really? But then when i stop and think about it for a moment. Since naturally theres enough of a difference between the Japanese version and the English verison - you can't just slap japanese audio into the dub cause missing scenes ( like i instantly think of the opening sequence where Togemon does 2 punches for Butterfly but only one punch in Digimon Theme)

And trying to include both versions seems excessive you'd either need to include 2 sets of discs, one for the Uncut Japanese audio version and one for the edited English audio version. or X number of the Japaense version and the english versions on the same disc so instead of having say 1-8 9-16 you'd have like 1-4 +1-4 on disc 1 or something.

And i could see someone arguing for JUST the sub release but celarly they know the digimon fandom. They know plenty of us have a soft spot for the dub we grew up with so the option to get what you really want is nice... and theres no need to buy some big super sized set with 108 episodes containing both versions would just be to big of a hit on someones wallet if they only wanted the Japanese version or only cared about the dub.

Yamato-san

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
In addition the Saban Digimon dub has an important legacy status with the franchise and there would be a lot more fans angry if it wasn't included than fans disappointed there isn't a new dub. TBH, I don't think the Saban is that outdated. It's not like a modern 1:1 dub but compared to other NA TV dubs of that era, they did a lot to keep a lot of the more serious family drama themes and aside from a lot of Americanized jokes added in, the plot is essentially the same as the original show. Like there's enough differences to make watching the sub version interesting but it's not like on the level of Robotech where they combined three shows in one or the OG Sailor Moon dub where they made the Outers "cousins." It's faithful to the spirit of the original show and you can tell it was a passion project for the people who worked hard on the Saban dub to make it a quality product that can stand on it's own and there's a lot of talented professional voice actors in the Saban dub who put their all into those roles.
I honestly don't get why so many people get hung up on the "cousin" bit in Sailor Moon, which came from a single, throw-away line as I recall (and really, aside from that, I thought the Cloverway dub was a noticeable improvement over the DiC dub, mostly thanks to the retained soundtrack, though several dialogue and story bits were overall more faithful as well). Also, complaining about unrelated characters being turned into cousins seems rather hypocritical given how many non-existent siblings and pets were made up by Saban for the Digimon dub (which really ended up biting them in the ass when we'd actually SEE all of the children's home lives by some point). Hell, they even had to come out and publicly state that Matt and TK being half-brothers was done in error.

At first glance, on a purely surface level I can't help but groan and be disappointed.

2 separate releases ? Really? But then when i stop and think about it for a moment. Since naturally theres enough of a difference between the Japanese version and the English verison - you can't just slap japanese audio into the dub cause missing scenes ( like i instantly think of the opening sequence where Togemon does 2 punches for Butterfly but only one punch in Digimon Theme)

And trying to include both versions seems excessive you'd either need to include 2 sets of discs, one for the Uncut Japanese audio version and one for the edited English audio version. or X number of the Japaense version and the english versions on the same disc so instead of having say 1-8 9-16 you'd have like 1-4 +1-4 on disc 1 or something.

And i could see someone arguing for JUST the sub release but celarly they know the digimon fandom. They know plenty of us have a soft spot for the dub we grew up with so the option to get what you really want is nice... and theres no need to buy some big super sized set with 108 episodes containing both versions would just be to big of a hit on someones wallet if they only wanted the Japanese version or only cared about the dub.
Plus, it's really not that uncommon for a sub and a highly-editted dub to just get separate releases. I've seen it happen before with Samurai Pizza Cats/Cat Ninden Teyandee, Monster Rancher/Monster Farm, an earlier DVD set of Sailor Moon and Sailor Moon R, and even more recently with Lupin III Part 4 (which used a different soundtrack when it was initially released outside of Japan). Though, I did hear that a release of Ronin Warriors used a double-sided disc, with the dub on one side and the original Yoroiden Samurai Trooper subs on the other, so I guess there are alternatives to separate releases.

Last edited:

Mattman324

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
2 separate releases ? Really?
There are episodes where the dub has, like, a full minute plus of missing footage. You can't put both of those on the same disk, it'd be two different film sources - I've seen it attempted with the original Zoids anime and oh man is it fucking jarring to be watching a dub and then suddenly have everything soundwise cut to something completely different, or scenes just be out of order because the dub reordered things.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That's freaking awesome. Glad to hear about you 3 doing this. It's kind of cool knowing people involved in something like this. I'll have to tell people about this.

AtomicGreymon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This is great news. After all this time, it's nice to still see the original Adventure getting some love. I hope this means 02 and Tamers may eventually get the same treatment.

I wonder what this means for potential Blu-ray releases of any of the movies? Is the original Fox-owned hybrid of the first 3 films lost to the Disney vaults forever? Something I'd really love to see (maybe this is only me) is a re-do of the Diablomon Strikes Back and the Tamers films dubs, keeping the voice acting but stripping out the Frontier-era music that Disney shoved in there and replacing it with the Saban BGM that made the English Digimon dub its own unique thing from the original. The dubs of those movies just feel wrong with the music Disney chose for them. Like it or hate it, the dub of the first three seasons of Digimon were very much its own thing, and that music completely broke the mold.

I wonder if there's any chance they could put out a soundtrack album of the dub BGM, too. It's never been properly released... even if only as a lossless album on Bandcamp or something.

Last edited:

Muur

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Can someone explain, why they would use the Fox Kids Dub and not redub it with accurate translations?
Presumably this is because Discotek lack the resources or the inclination to hire everybody required to record 54 whole episodes of a new dub.

A new dub wouldn't be worth the money as this isn't going to sell enough to justify it and those who will buy this for the dub will want the 1999 dub. No one is going to randomly go buy a DVD of a dub show from 1999 without already knowing what it is. A redub would lose them money. Also I don't think discotek are a dubbing company?

Santaskid

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There are episodes where the dub has, like, a full minute plus of missing footage. You can't put both of those on the same disk, it'd be two different film sources - I've seen it attempted with the original Zoids anime and oh man is it fucking jarring to be watching a dub and then suddenly have everything soundwise cut to something completely different, or scenes just be out of order because the dub reordered things.
i know this... like i said on the surface level at first glance my though twas " 2 versions? really?

But then i stopped thought about it and was like yeah that makes sense. I mean in theory theey could probably find a way to put 2 play lists on 1 disc... or just put 2 sets of discs in 1 set. But then you'd need to buy both if you only wanted one so 2 versions just makes the most practical sense. Plus i'd say the older Complete season sets from what 2010 ish are perfectly servicable for the people who have them so doesn't make sense to buy something with the dub just for the japanese uncut stuff.

But again my first thought was suprisre/confusion also i mean I dont' know exactly how some DVDs handle the Normal version + Directors cut on same disc thing - i've seen it a few times i know such things have existed in the past I just don't know or honestly care about the details cause honestlyi its not that important since doing so would either give you 2 versions of each episode on a disc- thus padding out the number of discs ,or 2 versions of each disc also padding out said numbers and making the case bigger than it probably needs to be.

but yeah i'm more than aware as i stated in my post that thedub cut out a fair amount on several occasions either to make more room for commercial breaks or just because it was easier than editing said scene. It was just a case of at first glance one would expect a set to include the sub and dub... but honestly i'm afraid what a 108 episode "Season 1 "collection would look like price wise... i mean i'm sure the 2 54 episode versions will be more than my wallet iswilling to part with individually i'd hate to imagine what they'd put a all in 1 sorta collection at.

Cardcaptor Takato

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I honestly don't get why so many people get hung up on the "cousin" bit in Sailor Moon, which came from a single, throw-away line as I recall (and really, aside from that, I thought the Cloverway dub was a noticeable improvement over the DiC dub, mostly thanks to the retained soundtrack, though several dialogue and story bits were overall more faithful as well).
It was used multiple times throughout the show, usually in scenes that were intended to be romantic between Haruka and Michiru, but footage of them holding hands and being romantic were still left in while they're calling each other cousins, which just makes more awkward.

Also, complaining about unrelated characters being turned into cousins seems rather hypocritical given how many non-existent siblings and pets were made up by Saban for the Digimon dub (which really ended up biting them in the ass when we'd actually SEE all of the children's home lives by some point). Hell, they even had to come out and publicly state that Matt and TK being half-brothers was done in error.
The Digimon dub inventing new relatatives was also silly but a one off character that only shows up in one episode being changed to "Sora's cousin" to explain away why ten year old kids are hitchiking in a kid's anime on US TV seems like less of an issue than censoring a lesbian couple that regularly appears throughout the show in a very awkward way for dated societal reasons. But my point is while there's still some localization and alterations, the Saban Digimon dub was fairly faithful for the era it aired in and in some ways ahead of it's time. The Digimon dub is only "dated" in the sense these kinds of localized kids dubs don't happen as frequently anymore in the US, but the dub was also ahead of it's time in a lot of ways and still gets a lot of praise for retaining some of the weightier themes of the original show in tact.

Last edited:

KoushiroIZZYIzumi

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Holy crap, Marc! I came across an article about the company you work for bringing Digimon to Blu-ray for the American market and just had to come here to congratulate you on this.

When I first learned of the announcement that Discotek was making Digimon Blu-rays, my first thought was, "Oh, I hope they aren't putting it on that SD on BD crap" as opposed to the real reason any form of media gets a BD release......which is high definition.

Was it you that got Discotek to get the rights to Digimon? Lol.

Anyways my response to this week's biggest news......

i know this... like i said on the surface level at first glance my though twas " 2 versions? really?

But then i stopped thought about it and was like yeah that makes sense. I mean in theory theey could probably find a way to put 2 play lists on 1 disc... or just put 2 sets of discs in 1 set. But then you'd need to buy both if you only wanted one so 2 versions just makes the most practical sense. Plus i'd say the older Complete season sets from what 2010 ish are perfectly servicable for the people who have them so doesn't make sense to buy something with the dub just for the japanese uncut stuff.

But again my first thought was suprisre/confusion also i mean I dont' know exactly how some DVDs handle the Normal version + Directors cut on same disc thing - i've seen it a few times i know such things have existed in the past I just don't know or honestly care about the details cause honestlyi its not that important since doing so would either give you 2 versions of each episode on a disc- thus padding out the number of discs ,or 2 versions of each disc also padding out said numbers and making the case bigger than it probably needs to be.

but yeah i'm more than aware as i stated in my post that thedub cut out a fair amount on several occasions either to make more room for commercial breaks or just because it was easier than editing said scene. It was just a case of at first glance one would expect a set to include the sub and dub... but honestly i'm afraid what a 108 episode "Season 1 "collection would look like price wise... i mean i'm sure the 2 54 episode versions will be more than my wallet iswilling to part with individually i'd hate to imagine what they'd put a all in 1 sorta collection at.

I think I should add my two cents to this. Despite the differences in footage and audio between the original Japanese version and the Saban dubbed version, I don't believe it would be impossible if both versions existed on the same discs if a distributor wanted to make it happen.

I say this because I'm reminded of that Blade Runner Collector's Edition disc sets that were released for DVD, Blu-ray, and HD-DVD (yeah it was that long ago) in those interesting briefcase looking.......cases.

There were discs that had different edits of that movie on the same disc, for example there versions that were pre-screened for audiences before the wider theatrical release, different theatrical versions (U.S. versus international) and directors cuts.

I wonder if this was a decision by Discotek or if this was recommended by Toei themselves to keep these separate.

I'm surprised a Japanese language Blu-ray set was announced for North America at all. I never thought that would ever happen.

Btw.....I'm loving the disc labels. They keep the same eye theme as the Japanese market release.

Last edited:

Mattman324

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I say this because I'm reminded of that Blade Runner Collector's Edition disc sets that were released for DVD, Blu-ray, and HD-DVD (yeah it was that long ago) in those interesting briefcase looking.......cases.
Which also cost over 100 dollars fifteen years ago, if memory serves.

AtomicGreymon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's a process called seamless-branching which allows multiple cuts of the same thing to exist on a single disc without having to duplicate the entire running time. The snippets that are different exist on their own, and multiple playlists are created that allow for the title to be played in multiple ways.

Implementing it increases the cost and complexity involved in DVD and Blu-ray authoring, though, and the greater the number and variety of differences between the various versions you're trying to fit on the same disc, the more complex the process becomes. For a multi-million dollar feature-length film, it makes sense to go ahead and do it in most cases, if you've got an alternate cut or something. For a 50-odd episode series, it's a more daunting exercise and I can see why they'd want to avoid it.

Yamato-san

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Since we're on the subject of alternate audio tracks, I'm often curious to see how Digimon would look if it mixed the dub voice-overs with the Japanese soundtrack. I've seen a couple attempts at such a thing, though not much.

I know it's not happening, but it would be cool if Discotek's release had it. Funimation pulled it off with DBZ, and I guess it wouldn't be a tall order if the stand-alone recordings (without the music) still exist. Still, I'd imagine the biggest hurdle for such a thing would be the fact that several episodes have a good amount of footage which just never got dubbed (though especially the movie, with the above clip being forced to rely on the Japanese voices in quite a few instances). One can only imagine how this audio-hybrid must look if it had Puppetmon talking about playing "hide and seek and destroy" while shooting off a gun, and then breaking into Japanese dialogue at random moments.

sebb.exe

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I hope they put the other English dubbed seasons on Blu-ray (Adventure 02, Tamers, Frontier, Data Squad, and Fusion).
I agree! I really want to share all these series with my friends, but the later seasons are so difficult to access, and you can forget about HD versions. I'm so excited for this release!

Matt

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This Blu-ray release was really unexpected!
I'm really looking forward to being able to get it. If I understood correctly, the images that Discotek Media have published relate to the edition with the English dubbing?