Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
We have a full image of Digivolving Spirits WarGreymon!

Image Thumbnail (custom)

We don't know the source of the image, but the images of the toy are definitely real.

It also mentions the price as being 7,020 yen.

Very nice looking figure in general.

All the information about the livestream from the original post has been moved below, there is still quite a bit of information we are hoping to hear about this line this weekend.

Thanks to Actar for the image.

Original Post:
More Digivolving Spirits stuff!

Image Thumbnail (custom)

First, if you missed it, Tamashii put up this clean promo shot recently.

Based on the image and comparing with the old WarGreymon evolver figure, it appears to be an entirely new mold taking inspiration from the original toy.

Those paying attention to the countdown know that it ends later this week (May 26th at 11am.)

We don't know what will be revealed when the countdown is over, but we DO know what will be shown off the day after...

During the Osaka stop on the Tamashii Nations 10th Anniversary World Tour we will get various information about the Digivolving Spirits figures from a few different people of note...
Adventure Director Hiroyuki Kakudou and long time Digimon designer Kenji Watanabe, with well known voice actor Minoru Shiraishi acting as moderator.

They will be discussing the general plans for the Digivolving Spirits figure series and they will reveal the package design for the first series of figures.

The event will be livestreamed on nico and at this time there is no notice of a geolock.

They list the stream starting at 3:30pm on Saturday, May 27th (Japan Time.) (That's 11:30pm Pacific on Friday May 26th.)

Thanks to garm for the translations.

The previous Digivolving Spirits thread is here, feel free to move over any discussions to this new thread.

Actar

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Full photos of the toy are out (leaked?).

My thoughts and analysis:

- Transformation is similar to the original figure. This we've known as they pretty much set out to "polish" the original figures.

- WarGreymon's skin is orange.

- Feet transformation from yellow to orange is simple and ingenious. Flip the foot around at the ankle and rotate the toes.

- Wargreymon's orange skin can be seen on Agumon's upper arms.

- WarGreymon's shoulder pads remain as Agumon's shoulders instead of becoming the elbows, though the spikes fold away. Agumon's arms are horribly proportioned because of this.

- The orange skin is covered on Agumon's legs, though they look to form kibble on WarGreymon's calves.

- Most glaringly, Agumon mode proportions are sacrificed for the WarGreymon mode. Head is far too small.

- WarGreymon's headsculpt still inaccurate.

- Legs are still thin, though this is unavoidable.

- Wings are no longer attached to the head.

- Side skirt armor now consists of the entirety of the sides of Agumon's body. They're way to huge.

Essentially, atrocious Agumon for a nicer WarGreymon with better paint and articulation that does some things better than the original, but comes with its own set of issues. Need more pics/toy in hand for better comparison.

GK45

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That is pretty nice for a transformer.
Agumon looks a bit weird but that is unavoidable.

Pretty impressive altogether. If I was interested in transforming figures I would prolly be grabbing this.

Oki

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Seventeen years later and this is what we get?
Hopes down for the remainding figures...

BlankShell

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I dig it. Love how they account for the difference in feet color. Pretty similar to the old transformer one, just with a nice update. Really wondering what they have in store for the others.

wildwing64

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Good find Actar!

Figure looks great. Some of the proportions are a bit odd, but even then it's looking like a big improvement over the original toy. Pretty amazed that they found a way to have different skin colours for both modes. I only had the BlackWarGreymon version as a kid, so this'll be nice to get.

Da_Duke2000

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I fall into the 'I don't really know what else I expected' camp. I've never been impressed by transforming Digimon toys, but the hype did set me up for a higher expectation. For what it is, it's exceptionally well done and detailed. Just not for me.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thanks for the image Actar, rewrote the news post and added the image.

Although to be honest, I find your analysis a bit flat and two-dimensional based on just how much of it seems to be based on it either not being show perfect or making design choices so both WarGreymon and Agumon are represented by the figure.

GK45

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Seventeen years later and this is what we get?
Hopes down for the remainding figures...
If you don't like transforming figures, like me, then just say it.
If you were expecting a perfect representation of both Agumon and Wargreymon in a single transforming figure... what world do you live in?
It was never going to be perfect, there was always going to be kibble and mismatched proportions.

For what it is it's great.
They managed to almost entirely separate colors for each form and hide a great deal of kibble, the sculpt is also great with exception to the sacrifices made for the transformation, both of which are a challenge on two forms that are so different.

I was looking forward to seeing how they updated the design and I am not disappointed, the figure simply isn't something I am interested in.

Actar

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thanks for the image Actar, rewrote the news post and added the image.
Not a problem, though credit goes to the many Digmon groups on Facebook that had this picture floating around. (^.^;)

Although to be honest, I find your analysis a bit flat and two-dimensional based on just how much of it seems to be based on it either not being show perfect or making design choices so both WarGreymon and Agumon are represented by the figure.
Firstly, without better pictures or having the figure in-hand, it is impossible to judge the articulation, accessories and build quality of the figure. What we can glean from only a single picture however, is how accurate the figure is. And for me and for many collectors, accuracy takes absolute priority.

A figure is meant to be a three-dimensional representation of a two-dimensional character and it speaks to the designer's ingenuity, skill and technical expertise when the figure is able to pull of both modes convincingly with as little kibble (alt-mode parts) showing in either mode. Just like prop replicas, what we see on-screen is one of the objective standards that we judge the quality of figures by. Not being able to achieve accuracy is, frankly, a failing on the designer's part.

Yes, my standards may be high, but we live in an era where toy technology and engineering has advanced to the point of being able to deliver to us show-accurate Beast Wars Transformers figures. A new Masterpiece Megatron figure was recently released and it was a marvel of engineering, giving us collectors a show-accurate Megatron figure that could turn into a gorgeous gun mode (albeit in 107 steps).

Honestly, given the circumstance, I fail to see how my analysis was "flat and two-dimensional". (^.^;)

Don't get me wrong, I think it looks good. I'm excited for it and I'm still going to get it. But when there are flaws, I'm going to point them out, especially when you consider the fact that the original figure was already so good and that this is Bandai's third attempt at a WarGreymon figure in recent years.

Last edited:

GrungeCat

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Lol, mid-transformation WarGreymon reminds me of the beast emerging from VenomVamdemon.

It would have been nice if his armor retained the same nice brass hues implied from the close-up photo, but those limits are understandable due to Agumon's skin factoring in. Overall I think the end result is decent. WarGeymon looks nice for everything they had to take into consideration design-wise by needing to be functional as well.
My biggest concern is how sturdy the pieces are going to be--is it able to transform many times without falling apart similar to a toy, or is it still designed to be more of a collectors item and is more fragile? I'm assuming the latter based off of the promotional vibes they seem to be going for in addition to the price tag. It seems like they're going for something akin to the SH FiguArts. Regardless it would suck for people to spend a ton of money collecting these only for little pieces to fall off during the first transformation, even if they're transforming it only once for display.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Honestly, given the circumstance, I fail to see how my analysis was "flat and two-dimensional".

Your analysis is flat and two dimensional because of the context of what it is.

Digimon is not Transformers, and you're ignoring that you know... Transformers are designed to match in both forms (especially in the case of Beast Wars, which never had designs 'that' crazy for most characters to work, the show simply tweaked toy designs that were already done, which is why those didn't match.)

When you look at say... a Transformers figure and say it's show perfect, very often it isn't, it's just 'close enough' in your mind to count as show perfect.

And of course, bringing up Masterpiece Megatron, a figure that costs over 200 dollars is particularly ludicrous. And despite it being a rather amazing figure, it isn't show perfect. Frankly, I'm not sure how it ever could be considering Megatron's design shifted quite a bit episode to episode.

But as an example- The figure looks 'eh' from the back as I recall (which is a fair sacrifice to make to look so great from the front), his crotchplate often tends to look more like a diaper or a bad pair of underpants, his feet tend to look a bit to highheely to me, and they gave him nice waist articulation, but it kind of makes the figure look like crap when you actually use it.

But then, as established, the figure looks amazing regardless of the fact that it isn't perfect. Frankly, it's better than 'show accurate' because the show design just isn't that nice. The toy is more representative of how you feel it looks in your mind.

The context demands understanding that in the case of many characters, especially earlier in the Digimon franchise, there simply will not 'be' accuracy to the level that some people demand, because it doesn't exist for these, especially at anything resembling a reasonable price point (and some would argue 70 is already past reasonable.)

The fact your 'go to' examples were expensive Transformers Masterpiece figures proves that (cause the recent 'accurate' Beast Wars ones are Masterpiece also.)

The overall reason I used flat and two dimensional though is because seeing the picture, and then have it be immediately followed by what is effectively a list of complaints and grievances brought to mind the stereotypical comic/toy collector that is so deep into the hobby they forgot this stuff is allowed to be fun.

Tyranno

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

compare them directly and... they're clearly not the same toy. They may share engineering, but I'm hard pressed to find a single part that's shared.

arisniko1

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Nice nostalgia bit. I think WarGreymon looks a lot better than the original and Agumon... well who cares about Agumon? lol. The whole apparel is there so I don't mind if his proportions are a bit off. The one thing that bothered me both in the OG and here though admittedly COMPLETELY unavoidable is the loss of the Crest of Courage on his shield.
I still wonder if the whole line is for the Megas... If so, I'd really like to see what will they do. Piyomon->Hououmon would make sense if the transformation design is the same as Agumon's, Maybe Tentomon->HeracleKabuterimon because of their wings (?) lol, Lilimon->Rosemon for sure instead of Palmon, Gomamon/Zudomon->Vikemon either could work I guess, HolyAngemon->Seraphimon has already been done but really could be done better now and the million dollar question... Angewomon->Ofanimon or Tailmon->Holydramon?
I really cant wait to see the updates on Gabumon->MetalGarurumon because that was a really crappy toy... either form was hideous.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
compare them directly and... they're clearly not the same toy. They may share engineering, but I'm hard pressed to find a single part that's shared.
We're aware of that now that we have actual images of them, even though it seemed pretty clear once we had a decent photo of just WarGreymon's top.

Tyranno

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've still seen it being thrown around that it's a remold or somehow a reuse of the old toy, so I thought it prudent to share.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've still seen it being thrown around that it's a remold or somehow a reuse of the old toy, so I thought it prudent to share.
Oh, I don't disagree.

But I expect at this point people are 'still' going to disagree just based on the visual similarities.

Tyranno

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm used to that, sadly.

If you were ever in the Transformers fandom, there's a long standing stubborn myth that the Energon Starscream toy is a remold of the G2 Smokescreen one, instead of just ones that share similar engineering. This is the same scenario,

GK45

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Digimon is not Transformers, and you're ignoring that you know... Transformers are designed to match in both forms (especially in the case of Beast Wars, which never had designs 'that' crazy for most characters to work, the show simply tweaked toy designs that were already done, which is why those didn't match.)
Definatly. Comparing a Transformers toy to a transforming toy from another show, especially an organic transformer is crazy.
Transformers are are designed to have kibble from one form present in the other and are machines which allows a lot of leeway, not to mention they are designed to be transformed from stage 1.
The context demands understanding that in the case of many characters, especially earlier in the Digimon franchise, there simply will not 'be' accuracy to the level that some people demand, because it doesn't exist for these, especially at anything resembling a reasonable price point (and some would argue 70 is already past reasonable.)
I would have to say I think $70 is too much, $50 would be optimal for me.
I'm used to that, sadly.

If you were ever in the Transformers fandom, there's a long standing stubborn myth that the Energon Starscream toy is a remold of the G2 Smokescreen one, instead of just ones that share similar engineering. This is the same scenario,
Hah, leave it to fanboys to ignore facts.
Side by side it is incredibly clear that this shares no part of the old version and is a complete resculpt.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I thought that was dealt with a decade ago to be honest...

I'm curious to see what else they show in the next few days for Digivolving Spirits though.

I think some characters are taken to be to hard to make when there are ways to do them and I'm hoping we get a few 'non' remakes in Spirits.

Like Tailmon to Angewomon or Palmon to Rosemon would likely work reasonably well as a shellformer (it worked decently for Impmon to Beelzebumon.)

I would have to say I think $70 is too much, $50 would be optimal for me.
I say 70 because it's just a quick conversion, but at the moment the conversion is actually a touch below $63.

Assuming they do a 'proper' US release I'm curious to see what the price ends up being here.

Status
Not open for further replies.