Digivolving Spirits Details, Images, and a Promo Video! Update- MetalGarurumon Images

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
We've gotten details about this lately as we've been waiting on that countdown...

Image Thumbnail (custom)

But the countdown is over and now we have a bunch more!

We have the first full official look at Digivolving Spirits, the new transforming Digimon figure line from Tamashii that is beginning as part of both the 10th Anniversary of Tamashii and the 20th Anniversary of the Digimon franchise.

And they decide to start us off with an utterly fantastic trailer.

I love that they showed a CGI version of the figure transforming the way the toy will transform and it was very nice of them to subtitle most of the details, but let's go ahead and look at all the new information we have from Tamashii.

So first up...

The first Digivolving Spirits figure, WarGreymon, will be available to order on Monday, May 29th. This figure will be made generally available and will not be an exclusive product.

It will cost 7,020 yen and ship in November.

On top of that, they've given us a TON of details on the very concept and thoughts of this new toyline. Text and translations in quote boxes were left 'as is'.

First up, the Brand Statement. What is Digivolving Spirits?
A worldwide hit in the early 2000’s the monumental transforming figure series, “Digivolving Figures” achieved “evolution” through physical transformation. This concept is pursued this time to the highest level. The pre-evolution “cuteness” and post-evolution “coolness” as well overall proportions are replicated using the newest sculpting technology. The finish of the final product is also given special consideration, using die-cast and chrome finish on some parts.
Striving to be the ultimate Digimon transforming figure series for collectors, this is “Digivolving Spirits”.
Image Thumbnail (custom)

Concept & Proportions
The basic concept of the “Digivolving Spirits” series is to achieve designs that weren’t possible with the technology of the earlier “Digivolving series”.
The first release, WarGreymon, follows in the footsteps of the basic transformation from the “Digivolving series”.
But improvements to the joint system and the overall balance have resulted in a true Digivolution of the figure’s proportions. The result is a transforming figure that’s nostalgic and fresh at the same time.
Image Thumbnail (custom)

Digivolving
We thoroughly investigated the design to determine the appropriate colors for WarGreymon.
Not only is it painted down to the tiniest detail, but the yellow-to-orange change when it Digivolves is perfectly captured as well, without needing to swap parts.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

Materials
The “Digivolving Spirits” use the best materials for demanding collectors. The body parts are molded in color, and in addition to accurate coloring, they’ve been texture processed for a tactile feel as well.
For WarGreymon, the silver colored chest, waist and arms, said to be made of “Chrondigizoit,” are molded in die-cast metal for a true metallic feel.
And the Dramon Killer weapons in its hands are finished in chrome plating, for a luxurious feel overall.

A Comparison with Previous Products
The sharp-looking sculpt represents a culmination of the Collectors Division’s years of creative and technical know-how. It’s designed to be suitable for discerning grown-up collectors.
When you compare the old and new products, you can see just how far the proportions in particular have evolved. We think you’ll agree that the transformed WarGreymon looks every bit as good as a non-transforming figure design. Also, the range of motion in the neck is amazingly improved.
Image Thumbnail (custom)

Commitment to Excellence
The “Digivolving Spirits” series was developed with a multi-generational team including Digimon’s original creator Kenji Watanabe and younger staff who were still children when the original “Digivolving series” came out.
Under Watanabe’s strict supervision, the resulting figures represent ideal visual portrayals of his characters. While taking their lead from the anime, they incorporate playful American comic-style touches, never compromising on the detail that makes a three-dimensional portrayal great.
As for WarGreymon, Watanabe is particularly proud of the facial designs.
In addition to the first release of WarGreymon, work is proceeding with the second in the series, Metal Garurumon. Other Digimon not released in the earlier series are under consideration too, so stay tuned for new developments in the Digivolving Spirits series!

Hiroyuki Kakudou (Digimon Adventure Series Director)
I’m filled with deep emotion to know that Digimon has been loved for such a long time and to see this new product series, the “Digivolving Spirits” coming out. It’s a nice surprise for me to be able to comment like this even 18 years after the first season of Digimon. I know everyone is excited about this new figure series, but I bet I’m the most excited.

Kenji Watanabe (Chief Designer, well known for being with the franchise since the beginning)
“Digivolving Series”, which was the memorable first transforming figures produced by Wiz Co.,Ltd., has been revived!
I’m really happy that this time we are able to fully commit to excellence and include all the details that were not in the previous series as they were made for children. Both of Agumon and WarGreymon’s proportions are so cool! I hope you like them!

And while already teased in the video with a silhouette, they have a small teaser image up for figure number 2 in the line...

Image Thumbnail (custom)

MetalGarurumon! Edit- They replaced the misspelled image with a fixed copy.

In addition, the teaser video reveals a special version of the WarGreymon figure...

Image Thumbnail (custom)

This limited edition 'clear' version of WarGreymon will be limited to 3000 units and sold at Premium Bandai. It will come with a limited edition 15th Anniversary Digivice and a light up stand with sounds. The overall package will be called the "Complete Memory Set." The cost of the set will be 19,440 yen.

This is almost certainly the special set that was previously mentioned in reference to the updated 15th Anniversary "WarGreymon Color" Digivice.

With all of these new details it really appears that Digivolving Spirits is an attempt to make a great looking line of transforming figures with quality as a priority. And with it looking like the normal versions won't be exclusive products, I expect these will be heavily imported by many of us.

More Digivolving Spirits details will be revealed during the Osaka stop on the Tamashii Nations 10th Anniversary World Tour during a discussion with Adventure Director Hiroyuki Kakudou and long time Digimon designer Kenji Watanabe, along with well known voice actor Minoru Shiraishi acting as moderator.

They will be discussing the general plans for the Digivolving Spirits figure series and they will reveal the package design for the first series of figures.

The event will be livestreamed on both niconico and Youtube and there is no notice of a geolock. (Thanks to Actar for the heads up on the Youtube stream.)

They list the stream starting at 3:30pm on Saturday, May 27th (Japan Time.) (That's 11:30pm Pacific on Friday May 26th.)

The previous Digivolving Spirits thread can be found here.

Update- Preview photos of the Digivolving Spirits display at the Tamashii event via Manten Web!

First up, photos of the WarGreymon part of the display...

Image Thumbnail (custom) Image Thumbnail (custom) Image Thumbnail (custom)

This includes the figure (along with the old figure) on dispaly, and our first look at the packaging!

Next up is a look at the Complete Memory Set!

The clear version of the figure photos far nicer than you'd expect and it looks awesome.

And last but not least...

Our first look at MetalGarurumon! It looks rather amazing at first glance to be honest. Very impressive! Nice to see it on display with the original figure also.

Update- Some more images of WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon, including shots of WarGreymon's back kibble, which I know was of interest to people.

Thanks to Retsumal for this new trio of photos.

Update- Thanks to garm we have translations of the placards on the displays.

WarGreymon
As part of the goal to have a lineup starring all 8 partner Digimon, Agumon, Taichi Yagami's partner Digimon from Digimon Adventure, makes an appearance. It warp evolves into Wargreymon, by undergoing a complete transformation without the need to add or replace parts.
You can take a closer look at how this figure differs from the old Super-evolution [Choushinka] series toy, in places such as the body colors.
MetalGarurumon (Mostly the same as WarGreymon's, only listing the different content.)
You can take a closer look at how this figure has evolved from the old Super-evolution [Choushinka] series toy in terms of proportions.

Wargreymon (Clear Version)
A special limited edition set containing the Wargreymon Color Digivice Ver. 15th from the Boys' Toys Division, an Evolution Stage that lights up and makes sounds, and a Digivolving Spirits Wargreymon (Clear Version).
A limited number will be sold exclusively through Premium Bandai.

Update- We have photos of shikishi boards they added to the displays for the last chunk of the Tamashii event. Thanks to garm for translations.

Image Thumbnail (custom)
Kenji Watanabe
Digivolving Spirits!! Thank you for the support!

Image Thumbnail (custom)
Hiroyuki Kakudou
Digivolving Spirits (will not include Tokomon!)

Thanks to KnPThCIewBnLz9Y for the photos.

flintlock

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh wow is anyone here going to try to get one of those clear versions + Digivices?

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh wow is anyone here going to try to get one of those clear versions + Digivices?
If I had 200+ dollars to spend I would.

As it is... that's not happening.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Added the Youtube link to the article.

DATS24

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
wow, that's more than I was expecting. And yes, the figure looks pretty solid enough... Seems it has good value for money for that price.

wildwing64

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
If I made any comments about the proportions being off before, I take it all back. Not that I was all that bothered by it in the first place.

But now that we've had a proper look at it, I'm sold. It looks incredible. I'll be sad if there isn't a MetalGreymon to accompany this, but I'm not going to hold my breath for it.

Actar

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
"Under Watanabe’s strict supervision, the resulting figures represent ideal visual portrayals of his characters. While taking their lead from the anime, they incorporate playful American comic-style touches, never compromising on the detail that makes a three-dimensional portrayal great."

Well... that explains the inaccuracies. (^.^;) While I would have LOVED an anime-accurate figure (as we have yet to get a good one), at least I know they had a reason for not sticking with the designs ...but WTF is with "playful American comic-style touches"? (^.^;)

All in all, with that in mind, it's looking great, though the Agumon mode still leaves a ton to be desired. It's definitely the best-looking sculpt we've got out of Bandai in recent years and if the video is to be believed, the articulation in the neck will be there as well. Also, you really have to admit that the original figure holds up freaking amazingly when compared to the new one. Still, those new die-cast chest and shin guards are pretty sweet.

The gigantic backpack is one of the things that I'm most concerned about. As I had rightly predicted, the entirety of Agumon's back, bottom and chest ends up on WarGreymon's back instead of just the chest. I am very worried that they won't be able to peg into place. Hardly "designs that weren’t possible with the technology of the earlier “Digivolving series”." Would love to have had a shot of the back, but I doubt that that's something they would be proud to show off.

The talking/light-up base is freaking amazing... But why the clear figure? Why the Digivice? It's a cool set, but I'm not sure how this can beat the CSA Digivice in terms of voice clips and sound effects. Also, I really don't see how clear plastic is a good thing for transforming figures. It's not accurate, it's fragile and you can see kibble through the plastic! (O.O) Perhaps it's a reference to the clear MetalGreymon figure?

I really don't need this... but the fact that it's limited is playing on my collector mentality! (>.<)

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They fixed the MetalGarurumon preview:
Image Thumbnail

I have to say the trailer makes things look better than the pictures we've had before but I'm kind of skeptical that WarGreymon's eyes would actually light up like that... probably just a visual reference to the anime but it would be nice if that one plate on his head worked as a light switch...

And that clear version has to be the most awesome thing they've done with transforming figures. I mean I'm more interested how it looks like in its Agumon configuration than the WarGreymon one they showcased, with all of the yellow parts being clear you would literally see all those folded up WarGreymon parts through his face and the rest of his body, it's going to be so awesome and bizarre looking like some alien metallic internal organs (since all of these evolvers look a bit off in some aspects it's great to see them pulling out all the stops for the premium digivice version)

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Added a stack of images to the news post.

The various images from the Tamashii event include the figures in person, previews of the packaging, and our first look at MetalGarurumon!

Also swapped in the 'fixed' Metal Garurumon text promo that theigno linked to.

salman332

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wow... The MetalGarurumon is amazing, far better than the original one.

Actar

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Okay, that Gabumon/MetalGarurumon looks freaking amazing! Now I'm getting hyped. (^.^;)

And that clear version has to be the most awesome thing they've done with transforming figures. I mean I'm more interested how it looks like in its Agumon configuration than the WarGreymon one they showcased, with all of the yellow parts being clear you would literally see all those folded up WarGreymon parts through his face and the rest of his body, it's going to be so awesome and bizarre looking like some alien metallic internal organs (since all of these evolvers look a bit off in some aspects it's great to see them pulling out all the stops for the premium digivice version)
Fair warning though, clear plastic is much more brittle and fragile than regular plastic. One of the reasons clear figures are often frowned upon in the Transformers community is because of how easily they break.

Last edited:

GK45

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really think they managed to make both forms look great and the Transformation looks satisfying.
The only complaint I have is that they have so much folded behind Wargreymon and it all looks like it just holds by friction with nothing to actually secure it. Could result in some floppy problems.

MetalGarurumon also looks nice, though I don't think he works as well as WarGreymon.
The first thing I notice is that Garurumon's chest is huge, then that Gabumon has a hole in his horn that doesn't need to be there, I'm sure they could have found a way around that. His arms being stuck in that position also bugs me and the weird joint that turns into Garurumon's front legs also stands out.
I get the feeling that Gabumon is going to look pretty messy from the side, notice how they made sure to only take pictures from almost straight on?
Again, not bad just not as good as Wargreymon.

The clear Wargreymon with stand and Digivice is cool...but...I'm pissed, I was looking forward to grabbing the 20th Digivices and I doubt I'll be able to afford an extra $75-$100 if Taichi's isn't sold separately from the figure.
I don't really like Matt's as much and was mostly getting it as a companion piece so if I can't get both I don't know that I will want Matt's alone. It is a pretty dirty move since Taichi's Digivice is the more popular of the 2.

Also, you really have to admit that the original figure holds up freaking amazingly when compared to the new one.
Do I though? Looks more like WarDerpmon to me next to the new figure.

The talking/light-up base is freaking amazing... But why the clear figure? Why the Digivice? It's a cool set, but I'm not sure how this can beat the CSA Digivice in terms of voice clips and sound effects. Also, I really don't see how clear plastic is a good thing for transforming figures. It's not accurate, it's fragile and you can see kibble through the plastic! (O.O) Perhaps it's a reference to the clear MetalGreymon figure?
The clear figure is for the light effects to shine through the figure, making it glow, like it's evolving. Makes sense to me.
I don't expect it is meant to "beat" the CSA digivice, I would expect it to simply have the Braveheart playing and then "Agumon Warp Shinka!"-"insert evolution sounds"-"Wargreymon!".
It only seems to have the single button so I wouldn't expect it to work like the Digivice. It could also have a short press, long press function where the short press gives a random quote or attack and then long press starts the evolution. Another possibility is that, seeing as it has a power switch, it will occasionally make a quote or attack while flashing or pulsing the light.

But now that we've had a proper look at it, I'm sold. It looks incredible. I'll be sad if there isn't a MetalGreymon to accompany this, but I'm not going to hold my breath for it.
They could do amazing things with a MetalGreymon but I would also have to say don't get your hopes up.

And that clear version has to be the most awesome thing they've done with transforming figures.
Wait till you see it with a light flowing through it from below.

Okay, that Gabumon/MetalGarurumon looks freaking amazing! Now I'm getting hyped. (^.^;)
Soon as we had a single picture of WarGreymon you were tearing it apart but you have nothing but praise for MetalGarurumon?
Someone's playing favorites.

Actar

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Soon as we had a single picture of WarGreymon you were tearing it apart but you have nothing but praise for MetalGarurumon?
Someone's playing favorites.
Is there something about these forums and attacking other users for having a different opinion? Is it wrong to genuinely believe they did a better job on MetalGarurumon than WarGreymon? For Gabumon, look at the fact that they recreated Gabumon's fists under his Garuru coat. Look at the correctly colored toe claws/shoulder missiles. Look at Gabumon's sharpened horn. Look at the more emotive head sculpts. Look at Gabumon's yellow lower jaw. Look at MetalGarurumon's larger/thicker hind legs and front legs that aren't just connected by the single pipe. These are all excellent updates. But of course, there are issues. MetalGarurumon's proportions are wonky, with the barrel chest and tiny rear. But overall, there's no egregious backpack or kibble showing or hanging off it. If you disagree, feel free to argue, but I don't see how accusing others of favoritism will get us anywhere.

Speaking of which, allow me to clarify that I am under no illusions that concessions have to be made when it comes to Digivolving figures. I never complained about the thinness of WarGreymon's limbs or the lack of his Brave Shield because I'm fully aware that these elements are unavoidable and we've come to expect them. But things like the gigantic backpack on WarGreymon, large side-skirts, orange skin showing on the upper arms and small-ish Agumon head with no neck/high shoulders, I believe could have been fixed with a little bit more fine-tuning of the mold and/or better engineering. I maintain that if the original toy got these things right, the newer, more modern version should be able to do the same, if not better. (Heck, it seems you even agree with me with regard to the backpack issue.) I can't see anything that the new MetalGarurumon figure does worse than the original figure.

Also, as I've mentioned in the previous thread, I wasn't "tearing it apart". Feel free to re-read it as many times as you want. I was listing my observations and that was it (some of it was even praise), much to the chagrin of some users. Just like how MetalGarurumon looks better to me, you prefer WarGreymon, simple as that. I'm not hounding you for "tearing it apart".

Looks more like WarDerpmon to me next to the new figure.
Why are you tearing the old figure apart? They are not meant to be the same figure! You have to understand that the figure is not going to be as perfect as people expect it to because of the nature of transforming Digmion figures. It's not a Transformer! There are so many iterations of WarGreymon, who's to say it looks bad? (Note: This has been a sarcastic comment.)

Last edited:

Garmmon

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I have to agree with everyone else that Gabumon/Metalgarurumon both look amazing from the pictures. It was the only digivolving figure I owned and I honestly really liked how the transforming worked in this figure..I'm really glad for the yellow jaw and especially!!! Gabumon's claws/Metalgarurumon's shoulder missiles being fixed to white, that always bothered me about the original because the colour's wrong on both forms!
From the pics at least Gabumon/Metalgarurumon really looks great in both forms, unlike Agumon/Wargreymon which I do feel that Agumon suffered to make Wargreymon look better. I thought the older one balanced the two better, but the new Wargreymon form def looks a lot more impressive if you're gonna display it in that form, especially after making the armour sharper and taking away the roundedness? that made Agumon look more organic-ish.

Actar

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I actually suspect that they'll attempt to make all the figures Warp-Evolving (ironic, as tri. seems to have disavowed them), so that we'll have a full set of Rookies and Megas, though we'll have to wait and see.

GK45

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Is there something about these forums and attacking other users for having a different opinion? Is it wrong to genuinely believe they did a better job on MetalGarurumon than WarGreymon?
Wasn't an attack, just a statement. you clearly like Garurumon more then Greymon.
When Greymon came out you had a great deal to say about the good and the bad, it ended up coming out rather negative even if it wasn't your intention but when Gururumon comes out you have nothing but praise.

If you disagree, feel free to argue, but I don't see how accusing others of favoritism will get us anywhere.
I did, at the top of my post when giving my thoughts. It is overall great but I feel Wargreymon and Agumon work better as a transforming figure then Gabumon and MetalGarurumon.
Most of the issues with Agumon are minor and with WarGreymon are on the back of the figure which you won't normally see. Whereas with Gabumon and MetalGarurumon the issues are simply harder to hide and on the front of the figure.

But things like the gigantic backpack on WarGreymon, large side-skirts, orange skin showing on the upper arms and small-ish Agumon head with no neck/high shoulders, I believe could have been fixed with a little bit more fine-tuning of the mold and/or better engineering. I maintain that if the original toy got these things right, the newer, more modern version should be able to do the same, if not better. (Heck, it seems you even agree with me with regard to the backpack issue.) I can't see anything that the new MetalGarurumon figure does worse than the original figure.
I do agree with you, the backpack could be an issue and while it is an eyesore, it is fairly common for transforming figures to have kibble backpacks, it is just hard to find a place for everything and it is the least noticeable place to put unusable pieces.
That said, the original head isn't noticeably larger and Agumon has little to no neck, especialy in the original artwork, the side skirts are much improved and the original got over the mismatched skin by making the whole thing yellow.
Yes, they probably could have gotten around it with a sliding collar of some sort but it would have likely sacrificed what little mobility the arms have in Agumon's form.
I will agree that the shoulders are a little high and could have been made to slide down further. Though, I'm not sure how that could have been made to work without making the shoulder joint weak.

You may prefer the lower shoulders but I like the new solution better as it allows for much better WarGreymon shoulders with a fairly minimal sacrifice to Agumon.
I would also argue that the original Gabumon did a few things better, the horn does not look as hollow, the knee joints are smaller, making them less noticeable and the body was less eggplant shaped, which while made for a fatter looking Garurumon seems a little less distracting then the new one.

All that said, while I feel WarGreymon makes a better figure overall, I would say that the MetalGarurumon has made more progress then WarGreymon simply because the original figure was much worse then the original WarGreymon.
Wargreymon has been updated but behind the details, proportions and paint they are very similar figures.
MetalGarurumon on the other hand has had a great deal entirely reworked.

Why are you tearing the old figure apart? They are not meant to be the same figure! You have to understand that the figure is not going to be as perfect as people expect it to because of the nature of transforming Digmion figures. It's not a Transformer! There are so many iterations of WarGreymon, who's to say it looks bad? (Note: This has been a sarcastic comment.)
Sarcastic while it may be, your comparing the figure to a Transformer, especially to a fully mechanical Transformer that is a great deal more expensive was one of the problems. Comparing it to other transforming Digimon is a perfectly valid as would be pointing out specific mechanics of specific organic Transformers that could have been implemented to improve the figure.