Digivolving Spirits Angewomon Discussion

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
With the fourth Digivolving Spirits figure out in Japan it made sense to open the discussion thread for the figure.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

Since the releases of the figures are being staggered date wise for different countries, each figure will get it's own thread. Discussion of other figures will no doubt happen since they're part of the same line, but hopefully each having it's own thread makes things a bit easier due to the fact people will be getting them at different times.

Angewomon is the first of the Adventure partner figures to not have elements based on a previous release.

The figure 'just' came out in Japan (at the time of this post) so it may be awhile until your figure shows up if you pre-ordered from Japan.

US orders are expected in late July.

Angewomon is still available to order: (Affiliate links)
Digivolving Spirits #04 Angewomon at CDJapan
Digivolving Spirits #04 Angewomon at Amazon USA

King in Pink

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
When I first got this toy, I was massively disappointed. The backpack wouldn't stay on at all and the arms of Tailmon/Angewomon's scarf just fell off in a way that couldn't simply be fixed. As I bought two, I opened the second one to inspect and confirmed my suspicions that the first was actually a factory defect that had slipped through quality control (and I identified another defect in Tailmon's head). It's still disappointing, but at least the figure isn't as bad as my first impressions were. A couple of these photos are of the first one before I realized it was defective, which is why the scarf is at odd angles (it's being held to the figure by friction).

The Tailmon itself is mediocre at best. The legs have absolutely no articulation, but the arms move at the wrist up or down, which I suspect is more of a byproduct of being made from Angewomon's Tenne Scarf more than anything else. It still looks cute, if a little out of proportion, so I can imagine it looking alright on a shelf if that's the way that you choose to display it.

Just don't look at it from the side! Yikes! Absolutely no attempt had been made to fold away or cover Angewomon's arms from andy angle other than head-on. It looks pretty terrible! That might be a little hypocritical considering that Keramon (who is probably the best yet) and WarGreymon had visible kibble from certain angles, but atleast in their case it was more compact and didn't looks so lazy.

Tailmon has a Tamashii port in her back that allows her to easily be displayed on the various Tamashii Stands. All Acts work, but my personal favourite has always been the Act 4 version. This is a great feature and I hope it continues on other Digivolving Spirits; WarGreymon in particular would have greatly benefiting from it. Of course, it's a bit useless of Tailmon as moving her arms too much will reveal Angewomon's hanging arms... but I guess she kind of looks like she's using Cat Punch?

The big advertised feature was that the transforming Tailmon parts can be removed and Angewomon herself is kind of like a pseudo-Figuarts. I'm getting this out of the way first because it's the worst part of the toy. It sucks. The backpack is connected to Angewomon by nothing but a Tamashii port in her back. If you jam it in hard it will be somewhat resistant to falling off, but it still will fall off. Angewomon herself is fairly articulated but not as much as, say, a normal Figuarts. It's somewhere between a Revoltech and a Marvel Legends, I'd say. I think if they wanted to do a Figuarts Angewomon they should have done a Figuarts Angewomon, not make a half-assed version to the detriment of the transforming toy.

Angewomon herself looks OK. She's very kibble-y and a bit of a shellformer but I suppose that was always going to be the case considering what she had to turn from and into. Despite their best efforts, I wouldn't say she's all that much more articulated than WarGreymon was, so that's another point against the removable backpack. The upcoming Alphamon has interchanging hands and I think this toy would have also benefited from them also, in particular a "Holy Arrow" hand for the left side.

She has a Tamashii port in her back (the same one Tailmon uses) buuuuuuuuut it's hard to access as it goes behind a lot of the Tailmon kibble and the tail gets completely in the way. This means that it must also be pose on an angle so that it can get past said tail. I'm certainly not going to say the feature shouldn't be there, because I think it's a great one for high end collectibles, but it definitely could have been done more elegantly.

The wings are pose-able so, in combination with her Tamashii port, you can get some nice action poses. This is my attempt at her using her "Heaven's Charm" attack (unfortunately she can't hold her arms directly upwards. Two of her wings, made out of Tailmon's ears, are done very well, one set is passable and is made out of the insides of Tailmon's torso and simply have the wings molded into the inside... and the last are just the undersides of Tailmon's feet are not molded in any way. Blech.

Other noteworthy things about the figure is that parts of her hair are on a balljoint and are slightly pose-able, her Tenne Scarf is awkward as all hell to pose and I really wonder why they didn't put it on a balljoint at the top and her diecast breastplates are removable because God is dead.

In summary, I think Angewomon is a passable toy but is definitely the worst of the Digivolving Spirits so far... which is really disappointing because I was really impressed with WarGreymon, then even more so with MetalGarurumon and then even more so with Diablomon and this release looked like it was going to be absolutely fantastic based on the early preview. It felt like this line was really getting better with each release and not plateauing, so it's a shame that that dream is dead. That being said, the upcoming Alphamon and AtlurKabuterimon look absolutely amazing, so I'm definitely not writing off this line yet!

King in Pink

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Amiami want me to send a video of the defects to them. Why not just photos? This isn't the first time something like this has happened... after month-long struggle with Playstation Support when a game I downloaded off the eShop didn't work they insisted on me filming a video of me playing until I got the error message, upload it to Youtube and send them a link. Is this a new strategy of online stores to discourage refunds?

Last edited:

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Amiami want me to send a video of the defects to them. Why not just photos? This isn't the first time something like this has happened... after month-long struggle with Playstation Support when a game I downloaded off the eShop didn't work they insisted on me filming a video of me playing until I got the error message, upload it to Youtube and send them a link. Is this a new strategy of online stores to discourage refunds?
I think the idea, at least in this case is, the defect as you've described wouldn't necessarily show well in photos, and they want to be sure it's an issue before they decide how they want to deal with it.

It is, of course, a pain for you to deal with of course.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Video sounds like a good idea to me. Especially for you playing a digital game

King in Pink

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Video sounds like a good idea to me. Especially for you playing a digital game
Nah. The Playstation thing was definitely them making things as difficult as possible. Perhaps Amiami wants to see things like the backpack falling off or Tailmon's head not locking in to place in motion, but a photo of the error message would have sufficed for Playstation. This was the accumulation of a month-long back-and-forth with them which involved, among other things, them insisting it was Capcom's problem and not their's (and then Capcom saying the opposite when I contacted them) and at one point having my PSN temporarily banned... there's also the way they wanted the video uploaded to Youtube and linked to them, not sent as an attachment on an e-mail. The whole situation was insane but thankfully, after about the fifth Patch the game received about two months after release it suddenly started working on my PS4 and I never had to make the Youtube video.

flintlock

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
How else would they see floppy joints and parts falling off? Just be lucky they didn't ask for you to destroy it with evidence, I had a friend who had to do that for a Hot Toys.

Mugenlazlo

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
How many female Digivolving figures have we got so far anyway?

flintlock

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Birdramon>Garudamon
Tailmon>Silphymon US
Kyuubimon>Sakuyamon
Sparrowmon
Digivolving Spirits Angewomon

I think that's it?

PS apparently if you heat up Angewomons hips she has more articulation but I haven't tried it myself yet.

Mugenlazlo

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Birdramon>Garudamon
Tailmon>Silphymon US
Kyuubimon>Sakuyamon
Sparrowmon
Digivolving Spirits Angewomon

I think that's it?

PS apparently if you heat up Angewomons hips she has more articulation but I haven't tried it myself yet.
Technically, it's Kyubimon>Taomon and Sakuyamon>Renamon

Also, Sparrowmon does not count since she is a combining figure, not a digivolving figure.

BlankShell

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Got this one the same time as Alphamon, but tried her out first. A little disappointing overall; thankfully simple enough to transform, but the loose backpack is a pain since there's not much point in detaching it. I do appreciate the compatibility with figuarts stands though.