Digimonukkah 2020 Day 1- Digimon Adventure: OST Volume 1- Scans & Breakdown

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's that time again!

Digimonukkah is back for another year! If last year had a theme for the gifts it was probably that most of them was a colelction of odds, ends, and oddities both new and old. If there is a theme this year (there isn't) it would probably be... It's been a busy year and some things piled up.

Things in the lineup for these always change (the new site was meant to be night 8 last year for example), but based on what the lineup is looking like... thanks to Devkyu, onkei, and Vande for various things (images of things I don't have, translations, etc.)

For the first night thought we have something mostly current...

It's the first original soundtrack for Digimon Adventure:!

This disc was released September 30th, 2020, just a few months ago.

The CD contains 34 tracks: 32 are BGM/OST tracks by Toshihiko Sahashi that play throughout the show, while 2 are the TV sized versions of OP1 and ED1 used in the show.

The embedded files are smaller JPGs from our gallery, so those shouldn't have any bandwidth issues. Click the images for big versions.

The scans went relatively well and there were no oddities or issues.

The CD was packaged in a CD-Album style case (the normal CD case most people are familiar with.)

The cover is the front to a small fold out booklet.

The cover for this release is the first key art we got for Digimon Adventure:, just formatted to work on the square image.

The show logo is also there, and has the OST Volume 1 written below in a yellow gradient that feels like it goes well with the logo.

The back of the booklet has a few different blue and white effects that gives off a a bit of a 'being pulled into a digital space' vibe to it, along with the show logo.

Nothing inherently special, but it works well enough for the first soundtrack release.

When you open up the booklet the first thing you find is...

A 2 page spread. The left side gives a full tracklist, while the right gives the lyrics to the TV size OP1 and ED1.

The tracklist:
1. Mysterious Creatures - Digimon​
8. A Fun Time​
15. Clumsy Kindness​
22. The Chosen Children's Duty​
29. Fear Of Death. When Hope is Lost​
2. Unidentified Airship (TV Size) / Takayoshi Tanimoto​
9. Begin Infiltration Strategy​
16. The Bonds Of the Chosen Children​
23. Surveillance From The Darkness​
30. Believe Your Partners!​
3. Prepping for Camp​
10. Past Memories with Partner​
17. Elegant Tea Time​
24. A Cool Strategic Conference​
31. We Will Protect The World!​
4. Koushiro's Analysis​
11. Gentle Social Time​
18. With Partners​
25. Unique Friends​
32. The Recovered Future​
5. Appearance Of the Guardian - Revitalization​
12. Enemy Digimon - Silent Fear​
19. Journeying Through Grim Adventure​
26. Touch and Go! We Can Do This​
33. Regrets Bring Fruit (TV Size) / Chiai Fujikawa​
6. Chosen Children​
13. The Threat of A Malicious Enemy​
20. Words From the Ancient Ruins​
27. Amidst the Impending Crisis​
34. The Adventure Goes To A New World​
7. Welcome To The Digital World​
14. Agumon and Co. Facing a Surprise Attack​
21. Wrapped In A Mysterious Veil​
28. Destructive Power of Giant Digimon​

The second spread has a photo of, information about, and some comments by Yoshihiko Sahashi, the composer of all the background music for Digimon Adventure:.

Profile:
Born 1959 in Tokyo. Graduated in music from Tokyo National University of Fine Arts and Music. Is active in a variety of movies, TVs, and stageplays.

His works include the movies "39 Keiho Dai Sanjuukyuu jou" (1999), "Princess Toyotomi" (2011), TV dramas "Ultraman Gaia" (1998), "Kamen Rider Den-o" (2007), "Jikken Keiji Totori" (2012), "Kamen Rider Zi-o" (2018), TV anime "Kidou Senshi Gundam SEED" (2002), "Kateikyoshi Hitman REBORN!" (2006), etc. In 2018, the opera "Anne of the Green Gables" which he composed the music for was performed worldwide at Miyazaki Prefecture for the first time.

Comments:
Being appointed to work on "Digimon Adventure:" made me very happy, and I went to Toei Animation for a conference meeting last year in December 2019 feeling very excited. That was back when COVID-19 wasn't that big of a problem yet in our daily lives. Even though I had been working with the producer, series director, and staff members for many years in this business, it was my first time meeting them, and I felt that it was the beginning of a wonderful voyage with this new crew, making a new series for a title that represents Japanese anime.

I had a commission of at most 40 songs for the first part, and the series director had an explanation for each song. Feeling his passion, I explored with the music selector to find concrete musical expressions, and the meetings for that were very exciting and enjoyable. Above all, my heart was captured by that magnificent worldview, and I went home that day imagining how it would sound with a large orchestra.

The first recording was scheduled to take place on February 25, 2020, and as usual, the screenplay and storyboards expanded my imagination. I was starting on the composition of the main theme, and when the exchange of demo tapes was finally beginning at the start of the new year, the media exploded with news about the new coronavirus, and COVID-19 spread all over the world in the blink of an eye. Everyone throughout the world was being urged to social distance, but I was very worried about that.

Because, in order to express the worldview of this series --- I needed a large orchestra. However, large orchestras and social distancing don't mix well together, especially when recording indoors in a studio. If the virus didn't subside, we might end up not being able to record an orchestra. Nowadays, of course, virtual orchestras through computer streaming are better now than they used to be some time ago, but for this important series that was being played for the next generation of children, I wished to bring them a real orchestra. We ended up barely pulling it off. As I left the studio after safely recording, I felt the strength that the title "Digimon Adventure:" carried, as well as the strength of overcoming global threats and continuing to row in the vast ocean.

A bit more interesting than the standard comments, as he was getting everything ready right as coronavirus was starting to make waves.

The last spread in the booklet is dedicated to credits for the music, the CD itself, and the series.

A scan of the disc itself...

The CD uses a monochrome style of silver from the disc and a light blue. The design is from the poster background, and mostly shows off various digital type effects, including a nice circuit-board pattern.

Because this was a full CD case, it had some art under the tray which I cracked open.

It's basically just blues and whites, along with a nice pattern. On the left side is the CD title in English, which is visible through the clear plastic to the left of the booklet when the case is closed.

The reverse side of this is the actual back cover of the CD case. It features the same 'seam' between the digital and real world that we see in the background of the poster, which is also used on the disc itself, but in full color.

The full tracklist is also listed. A bit interesting to note that the side flaps (these fold up and are visible when you put the disc on a shelf sideways, has one side have everythign in Japanese, while the other side is in English.

On the left side of the case was an obi card.

A basic but nice obi. Various information about the release is included.

Outside of the logo, the only real imagery on it is advertising the full release of the OP on CD on what is the back side.

It's a pretty standard release for an OST, but feels like a nice package since the focus is really the music, and having nearly 3 dozen BGM tracks with the TV size versions of OP1 and ED1 makes it feel quite nice. For the packaging, almost all the imagery used is stock, and even the handful of things that doesn't seem stock have almost certainly been used elsewhere. A nice release that contains a bunch of the really nice music from the new show. Hopefully we get more.

Digimon Adventure: Original Soundtrack Volume 1 is still available at CDJapan. (affiliate link)

Lots of Digimon stuff is coming out soon and supporting us via our Patreon or donations would be greatly appreciated so that we can do more and improve the site. Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the CD.

Images are hosted on our gallery and embedded on the forum, so let us know if anything is acting up.

Thanks to onkei for translations!

More to come...

Digimonukkah Archives:

Digimonukkah 2016:

Digimonukkah 2018:

Digimonukkah 2019:

Attachments

• adventure2020ost1_7photoartciel.jpg
    adventure2020ost1_7photoartciel.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 10,772