Digimonukkah 2019 Day 3- DigiFes 2019 Booklet Scans & Translated Interview

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Time for a biggun!

For Day 3 of Digimonukkah we're going with something big. Many of you won't see this until Christmas, so consider it an extra fun gift.

The DigiFes 2019 20th Anniversary Memorial Brochure was a booklet that could be picked up at DigiFes this year (along with some extra stock at the Toei shop) before it went out of print.

It was a reasonably small booklet that contained things for each Digimon anime series, along with a relatively large section for the upcoming 20th anniversary film, Digimon Adventure: Last Evolution Kizuna.

Towards the end of the scans there is a significant translated portion thanks to onkei, which makes today a bit of a double Digimonukkah!

Thanks to KoushiroIZZYIzumi for acting as an intermediary while he was visiting Japan so that I was able to nab this.

Scanning on this was relatively simple, minus the large size of the pages, which means it barely fit on my scanner. The only real bit of trouble was the cover, which is a combination of super glossy paper and foil, which doesn't like to be scanned. Various physical trickery, and editing later ended with a decent result for the cover, which you can see above.

Past the cover, onto the inside of the booklet!

The first 2 page spread has information about DigiFes 2019 on the left, and on the right is a message of thanks for 20 years, how DigiFes is being held with gratitude to fans, etc.

The photograph is taken from the DigiFes 2019 stage with the original CSA tri. Digivice in focus.

The next 2 page spread is a history of Digimon animation (and related content.) TV shows have their logos on the left, while films, special animations, tri., and the stage play have posters and promotional images on the right. The text list also includes stage events like DigiFes.

The only real oddity here is the CGI ride footage are listed with the year Toei began to distribute them as shorts rather than their original release date.

The next section gives a page to each Digimon series. Included is the series logo, main key art image, some screenshots, a plot synopsis, cast details, and when the series ran.

Also included are comments from the producers and series director of each anime:
Digimon Adventure- Producer Hiromi Seki and Director Hiroyuki Kakudou
Digimon Adventure 02- Producer Hiromi Seki and Director Hiroyuki Kakudou
Digimon Tamers- Producer Hiromi Seki and Director Yukio Kaizawa
Digimon Frontier- Producer Hiromi Seki and Director Yukio Kaizawa
Digimon Savers- Producers Atsutoshi Umezawa & Hiroaki Shibata and Director Naoyuki Itou
Digimon Xros Wars- Producer Hiroaki Shibata and Directors Tetsuya Endo & Yukio Kaizawa
Digimon Universe: AppliMonsters- Producer Daichi Nagatomi and Director Gou Koga
Digimon Adventure tri.- Producer Yosuke Kinoshita, Director Keitaro Motonaga

If time allows we'll get more of these translated, but for now, the previously translated content from Director Hiroyuki Kakudou (Adventure and 02, plus X-Evolution), who had posted his messages on Twitter in the past: (these were translated by onkei back when they first went up.)

-For the 20th Anniversary of Adventure, please leave a message for the fans who still love the work.
I think that 02 is included in it to make it one series as a whole. There are many people who admire the words 'chosen children', but it not only meant having a partner Digimon, but also to be obliged as their duty to fight for the digital world. The children that saw the TV series back then, even without having to go through those fights, are all adults now with a lot of things happening in their lives. It would be nice if the Digimon were of some help to each of you. May you and your Digimon partner always be together.
Digimon Adventure 02 in 2000

-Please tell us about the ideas behind production and the feelings that were put into it at the time.
There wasn't much precedent in the world for a sequel that takes place three years from now, and it was a challenge with regards to it being set in the near future from when it aired. That there are enemies in the human world, of the real world, on top of enemies of the digital world was also so the world could be expanded.

-As a sequel, are there any parts from the previous series where you went "I'm going to change that here?"
The end of the first series got heavy, so I began [the next] by having it viewed in a brighter perspective. It ended up getting even heavier mid-series though, since there's no way to get away from the problems of life.

-Do you have a favorite episode or episodes?
Just from the episodes that I was in charge of, the 13th and the last episodes. Hikarigaoka, which was used as a continuing stage from the first series, ended up being the place where Toei Animation temporarily moved to the following year due to rebuilding their offices. I found that to be a strange twist of fate.
Digimon Adventure in 1999

-Please tell us about the ideas behind production and the feelings that were put into it at the time.
I started it by putting in as much as possible... all the interesting parts from TV, manga, books, etc. that I had been entertained by when I was a child, so that hopefully I could convey those feelings to the children back then.

-Please tell us your favorite episode or episodes. Please also give a reason.
I was very careful that every child and Digimon on the regular cast were equally active, so being able to do that with other characters, such as their family and Wizarmon, were both good and the parts that I like.

-Please tell us your favorite memory with the cast.
At the all-series goodbye party that included all four series up to Frontier, we said to meet again in 10 and 20 years, but I'm shocked that it actually happened. There are some people who we can't meet again, but I'm grateful that everyone treasures those days.

The biggest section of the book is dedicated to Kizuna...

Kizuna starts off with a spread that begins on the left with the logo for the new movie, plus the 'animation style' poster art of Taichi and Agumon, along with the flashback image to when Taichi and Koromon first met.

The right side gives Kizuna's release date, cast and staff, plus some screenshots from the first trailer, which had been released just a few weeks before DigiFes 2019.

We then get a section dedicated to the characters and cast.

First up the Adventure kids and Digimon!

Each page includes the animation art for the characters and their Digimon from Kizuna. Also included is a small profile shot of their actor.

Each actor did a short Q&A style interview (if there is time later we'll translate these.)

Each actor also did a signature (some with handwritten messages or sketches) that were reproduced next to their character.)

The human cast from tri. are all back for the new movie:
Natsuki Hanae as Taichi Yagami
Yoshimasa Hosoya as Yamato Ishida
Suzuko Mimori as Sora Takenouchi
Mutsumi Tamura as Koushiro Izumi
Hitomi Yoshida as Mimi Tachikawa
Junya Ikeda as Jou Kido
Junya Enoki as Takeru Takaishi
MAO as Hikari Yagami

As are the Digimon cast from Adventure, 02, and tri.:
Chika Sakamoto as Agumon
Mayumi Yamaguchi as Gabumon
Atori Shigematsu as Piyomon
Takahiro Sakurai as Tentomon
Kinoko Yamada as Palmon
Junko Takeuchi as Gomamon
Miwa Matsumoto as Patamon
Yuka Tokumitsu as Tailmon

The 02 kids and Digimon get the same. DigiFes 2019 was where the 02 characters were officially announced as being in the film, including showing their designs and their actors. The clip we got later of the 02 kids in Kizuna was the one shown at DigiFes to those in attendence.

The human characters from 02 all have new actors:
Fukujuro Katayama as Daisuke Motomiya
Arthur Lounsbery as Ken Ichijouji
Ayaka Asai as Miyako Inoue
Yoshitaka Yamaya as Iori Hida

The Digimon cast from 02 returns for Kizuna:
Junko Noda as V-mon
Naozumi Takahashi as Wormmon
Kouichi Toochika as Hawkmon
Megumi Urawa as Armadimon

Then there is a special interview...

The interview is with Tomohisa Taguchi, the director of Digimon Adventure: Last Evolution Kizuna. Thanks to onkei we have a full translation of the interview.

---Please tell us how you first met "Digimon."
My first memory of it was playing the "Digital Monster ver. 1" toy when I was in middle school. I fondly remember hiding it beneath my school desk to raise it (laughs). After that, I found out about "Digimon Adventure" and started following the anime. Whatever series I missed, I would borrow from the rental shop to watch.
---What from the anime series left the biggest impression on you?
I have to say, watching "Digimon Adventure" in real time is my most striking memory of it. Episode 33 "Pump & Gotsu are Shibuya-type Digimon" also left a deep impression. I rewatched the entire series to prepare for working on this upcoming movie, and even as an adult I was deeply moved. It's such a moving story with proper closure at the end that I was just amazed as I watched it.
As for the theatrical releases, it would have to be "Digimon Adventure 02: Digimon Hurricane Touchdown!! / Supreme Evolution!! The Gold Digimentals." The "alien" sense that came across the screen immediately once it began must have shaken up my "eight-grade syndrome" heart back when I first watched it in junior high school (laughs). The music is also unique, while the story is both mysterious and spooky, so it is a film that left a bigger impression on me than any other anime. I have the feeling that a certain place that will be the stage in this upcoming movie carries an untroubled atmosphere that closely resembles it (laughs).
---Who is your favorite Digimon?
Terriermon, no, "Gummymon"! His back-and-forth with Wallace was very cute. When I was having a briefing session with Kenji Watanabe, we got all excited talking about how cute he was (laughs).
---How do you feel being chosen as the director for the upcoming movie?
When I was given the task of handling a series with such a long history, I felt pressure from it, wondering if I was the right person for this job. I still feel that pressure. However, I am both proud and grateful at having been chosen. As the representative of Digimon fans who have watched the series, I wished to take up the challenge of presenting one form, slapping it down and saying "How about this?!" This is why I accepted the responsibility. Rather than simply feeling "happy" or "nervous," I am doing this work amidst a mix of tightly coiled, complicated feelings.
---What do you, if any, consider important from the theatrical release of "Digimon Adventure" as you work on the upcoming project?
I feel that the atmosphere of the original series was great, so I'm not thinking of forcing change to its vibe. Rather than making a movie that I want, I am aiming to use evolution scenes and music in a way that makes one think after they'd finished watching it, "This is Digimon!" I wish to take the parts that were received well in the past, as well as memorable scenes, and leave them as is for this movie. Of course, since the film's material can't be kept the same as the original, I want to make whatever updates are now possible so that this movie will come to you as one with the artstyle you would expect of 2020.
As for the story, it will complete the "framework" of the series thus far by going into the relationship between Taichi and Agumon, between Yamato and Gabumon. I do hope that I keep loyal to the mold of those relationships, while being able to convey how the relationship between human and Digimon partner is viewed through the eyes of a growing, changing adult.
---What do you want us to look out for in the upcoming movie?
While it is labeled "Taichi and Agumon's last adventure," I would like for you to pay special attention to the "bonds" that grow stronger through partnership. The subtitle of the movie is "Kizuna," and I think that the scene where you see those "Bonds" in effect is the high point.
Also, there will be many Chosen Children appearing in this upcoming movie, even the Chosen Children from previous films and those who appeared worldwide in "Digimon Adventure 02"... If you look for them, I'm sure they're there (laughs). Since we're still in the middle of producing though, I can't point out any particular parts.
Lots of elements from the TV series and movies of "Digimon Adventure" and "02" will be throw in. I hope you look forward to the Digimon who appear, as well as the stage setting.
---The "02" Chosen Children will be reappearing, but what are your thoughts on that?
When the "02" group appears, the screen lights up all at once with a fun atmosphere. I think you'll be able to see for yourselves how they all grew up properly. For me, after seeing the last episode of "02," I feel that they grew up in a straightforward manner, so I want to bring out that atmosphere properly.
---Please tell us your thoughts on post-recording now that it's finished.
I asked all of the voice actors to speak "cheerfully, and bring your voices closer to the way they'd spoken when they were in elementary school." I was careful with this ever since writing up the screenplay, all the way through the entire story. In this upcoming movie, everyone is in university, at the stage when they've grown past the uncertainties of adolescence and have reached the next step of adulthood, which is going out into society. When you reach that age, I think that the natural parts of you that you'd picked up since childhood come out. Therefore, rather than simply making their impressions closer to their younger selves, I think of it as cheerfulness that comes out from surviving adolescence, a cheerfulness that comes from looking back into your true nature and re-evaluating yourself.
---Please leave a message to the fans who were able to come to "DigiFes 2019".
It is a fun event with many voice actors appearing. I'd like for you to suck in as much Digimon nutrients as you can. An anime that began 20 years ago is still loved to such an extent that it allows us to hold this big event even 20 years later. As a result of being supported by many fans, we who had watched it back in the day are able to become its creators now. I want to make this movie decent enough to answer to that passion, so please look forward to its theatrical release on February 21, 2020.

His interview ends with a small section with a small profile of him:
Theatrical release "Digimon Adventure: Last Evolution Kizuna"
Director: Tomohisa Taguchi
Anime director and episode director. Known for such works as "Persona 3 The Movie," "Kino no Tabi -The Beautiful World- The Animated Series," etc.

The last page of content in the booklet features Ayumi Miyazaki and AiM. They are asked a few questions and to give a message to the fans. Like the cast, it includes reproduced signatures and handwritten messages. (Like the other untranslated content, if there is time it'll be translated later.)

The last spread in the book are ads for Digimon related things at the time (most of which are still relevant now to differing degrees.)

The first page features the Digimon Card Premium Edition sets, which were available early at DigiFes, but orderable via Premium Bandai after the event. At the bottom is an ad for the Switch version of Hacker's Memory (Cyber Sleuth Complete Edition's Japanese equivalent.)

The second page was for the LB Pop-Up Theater pop-up shop which is currently running now. The bottom advertised various Digimon CDs that have been reprinted, including the Tai & Sora CD that was introduced at the event, which we did scans and a breakdown of.

The back cover is the 'animation' style poster that had been introduced at the beginning of July 2019.

The DigiFes 2019 20th Anniversary Memorial Brochure was a nice booklet and souvenir for DigiFes 2019 that does a decent job having a nice portion dedicated to the 20 year history of the Digimon anime, while having a sizeable portion dedicated to Kizuna, which was the main thing being shown off in 2019 on the way to it's release in 2020.

Digimon Adventure: Last Evolution Kizuna, the 20th Anniversary film for Digimon Adventure, comes out February 21, 2020 in Japan, with a release in the US in Spring 2020 announced.

The scans for all the art can also be found in the gallery.

The scans are very small compared to the master scans I did (the work and backup folder structure for the scans is a touch over 94 gigs.)

Thanks to onkei for the translations.

Lots of Digimon stuff is coming out soon and supporting us via our Patreon or donations would be greatly appreciated so that we can do more breakdowns and improve the site. Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the release.

More to come...

Digimonukkah 2019:
Day 1- Digimon Savers 2006 Mini Calendar- Scans
Day 2- Digimon Reboot Omegamon Model Kit

Deep Saver

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The comment about potential cameos from minor Chosen Children in the film sounds like a fun thing to keep an eye out for when I watch.

Kureisan28

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's good to hear that Director Tomohisa Taguchi understood the show growing up as a lifelong fan. It should help ease a little on those who have concerns with the new film (no matter how our expectations/standards vary in how we feel about the film or the Adventure franchise).

I took a glimpse of his previous films (Persona 3 Movies 2 and 4, yet to watch them fully), and he has a great knack in visual presentation during the action and slow scenes.

Unlike tri where its director (Keitaro Motonaga) and his crew where they aren't familiar with the franchise and just did their own thing, I feel Taguchi and his crew are more dedicated to make the film the best possible, by respecting what made Digimon Adventure impactful (at least in my observation).

Last edited:

VanChizzle

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
With Taguchi stating how much of an impression Movie 3 left on him, his being a big fan of Gummymon, plus the mention of different Chosen Children from previous movies appearing in Kizuna... here's hoping that Wallace will finally make an appearance in an official Adventure sequel.

Fingers crossed!