Digimonukkah 2019 Day 2- Digimon Reboot Omegamon Model Kit

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Another one!

For Day 2 of Digimonukkah we have another slightly older item, but with new relevance this year.

The Digimon Reboot model kit of Omegamon.

Big thanks to Dev for the scans and photos of the figure. It's been awhile since the work was done on this, so neither her or me remember if she did editing on the images or I did...

We'll go into some additional details about this kit after we go over the images....

First up, the packaging!

The front features new (at the time) artwork of Omegamon in his reboot mecha styling. On top of that we have some images of the kit that have been colorized in the back to make them look a bit like renders.

There are also logos for Digimon Adventure, Digimon Reboot, and bit Omegamon text at the bottom, along with a longer 'Digital Monster Reboot' title.

A Funimation sticker is next to the Toei one as they did some help with US product distribution at the time, despite never holding the Digimon license.

The top and bottom of the box is relatively standard to what is on the front, with the only unique element being the Bluefin sticker, to add some legalities necessary for US release.

I believe the sides at the time were overly large for Dev's scanner, but if she still has the box we'll see about getting some photos.

Now, the manual...

The 'front' of the manual is the boxart, and unfolds into a number of pages. The leftmost page shows various views and poses, and a color guide.

Skipping past the front to the '3rd' page on the front side, we get more 'Reboot' Omegamon art, and character info, including showing him in a few signature poses. They also show how you could add a QC code to him to allow you to be taken to the Digimon website.

The last page on the front is the last few instruction steps for putting together the kit.

The back side is the bulk of the instructions on putting the kit together.

Onto the kit itself...

The kit comes packages inside the box with everything inside of 4 plastic packages. Each of these we have scans of the front and back so you can see how they would have been packaged.

The pieces to the kit come on various frames (known as runners or sprues.) You cut the pieces out and assemble the kit. Outside of the runner labeled A, which includes various unique color pieces, the rest are all 1 color to a runner.

The last image also includes stickers used for detailing, but based on how detailed someone will go, they very well might skip these, and instead paint those elements (to say nothing of painting the entire kit in various styles or colors.)

For her kit, Dev went with a battle 'dirtied' style of coloring/detailing. it's a neat look for the finished model to have, skipping outright damage and just making it look a bit scummy.

If Dev has more to say about the kit, building it, or her styling of it, she'll pop into the comments.

A bit of the history of the figure...

It came out in late 2010 as the first of a line of Digimon model kits, branded 'Digimon Reboot', that was going to take various popular Digimon and do model kits of them in a mecha-inspired style.

In the end only Omegamon ever came out. Since being released 9 years ago the kit has been re-released 'around' half a dozen times or so.

On top of Omegamon 3 other figures had been announced...

Image Thumbnail (custom)

Angemon and Devimon we only ever saw as their character artwork that would have likely been used on the box.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

Dukemon we actually saw fully painted prototypes of. (These images of the unreleased stuff are 9 years old and I don't recall where they originally came from, if anyone recalls the 'original' source let me know. Likely figure blogs of the time.)

But oddly, that hasn't been quite the end of the Reboot line...

Image Thumbnail (custom)

In 2015, as part of the 15th Anniversary of Digimon Adventure, the Omegamon kit came out in a new version using clear colored plastic as a Premium Bandai exclusive.

And as part of the 20th Anniversary of Digimon Adventure this year, the story took another odd turn...

Image Thumbnail (custom) Image Thumbnail (custom)

Bandai launched a new model kit line called Figure-rise Standard Amplified, with 2 Digimon kits, WarGreymon and Omegamon. The idea being to do 'mecha style' redesigns, ala Digimon Reboot.

The WarGreymon kit was brand new, while the Omegamon kit was a remolded version of the old Digimon Reboot kit, given life again, and having a number of fans wondering about the other 3 Reboot kits that never came out.

Digimon Reboot never got past Omegamon, but it was a model kit quite a few people liked, and with the launch of Figure-Rise Standard Amplified just a few months ago, has brought new life to that idea.

The Reboot kit is no longer produced, but can still generally be found. The new Figure-Rise kits are relatively easy to get, with them going in and out of stock since their released: (affiliate links)
WarGreymon
Omegamon

A discussion thread for the 2 currently released Digimon Figure-Rise Standard Amplified Kits can be found here.

The images can all be found in the gallery.

Thanks to Devkyu for the images.

Lots of Digimon stuff is coming out soon and supporting us via our Patreon or donations would be greatly appreciated so that we can do more breakdowns and improve the site. Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the figure.

More to come...

Digimonukkah 2019:
Day 1- Digimon Savers 2006 Mini Calendar- Scans

Jmac28211

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I’ve got two Reboot Omegamon that I need to build. My roommate is big into painting models, so I might see if he could do a Zwart or Zwart D color scheme.

Mugenlazlo

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I hope Bandai makes more Figurerise Standard Digimon kits in the future. I would love to see more characters in the line.

BlankShell

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I just wish Bandai had a little more follow-through with their action figure lines. Not that I was super into this one because I just suck at model kits in general, but the Angemon and Devimon concepts were pretty neat.

Mugenlazlo

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I just wish Bandai had a little more follow-through with their action figure lines. Not that I was super into this one because I just suck at model kits in general, but the Angemon and Devimon concepts were pretty neat.
I'd go for a Figurerise Standard Leomon.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh hey. I remember that Scrubs video. Nice model kit too.

Ragnalord

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
These are neat, I specifically like that gallantmon

wildwing64

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Initially I slept on the Omegamon kit, but eventually got it when it was reissued in 2016. As a Digimon fan I love it as a display piece, but the model kit itself could be better.

The Dukemon prototype looks really nice. You'd think it would have been an easy release as it appears to reuse some of Omegamon's parts. Did Omegamon not sell well enough or was there just not enough interest in the line to warrant Dukemon's release?