Digimon Xros Wars/Fusion: Anime vs Manga

Vande

V-Tamer Vande
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wanted to, but I couldn't get access to it. And isn't illegal scans discouraged here?
Yes, Xros is the only set we don't have in the Manga Archive in Digimon General. But i'm sure google would help. And that's all i'm going to say (also the other post has been removed, cause it says more or less exactly where to go find. Which we don't allow).

Monox D. I-Fly

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, time will tell when I manage to read that manga fully.

prismblack91

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
anyone wanna talk about the other differences of both of them?

Bartz

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Funny that this topic popped up when I was just finishing the manga, and I have to say I felt it was a lot better.

The anime version of Xros Wars I feel tried to stuff too many ideas into its plot, and while most of them were good ideas, very few (if any) of them lived up to the potential that they promised. So what the anime ended up giving us was mostly jumbled and messy as we can fully enjoy what they introduce as it doesn't make the most of its ideas from start to finish.

The manga I feel is better because it takes the core concepts from the anime, and focuses primarily on them. They kept the focus on the characters (and balanced them out with each other) and aspects of the story that we were watching from the beginning, and for the most part, the ideas that it brings in add to their story without overtaking the previous elements that existed. This means that things like Lilithmon's villain decay and Akari/Zenjirou getting shoved onto a bus doesn't happen, and those elements end up getting the development and treatment they deserve in the story without having them reach their conclusion in a lackluster manner. So it ended up making for a more satisfying conclusion for the story and characters since we get to see the ideas reach their full potential, and that made reading the manga more fun for me since I felt I got more out of it as a result.

The only major thing I didn't like about it is the aforementioned jailbait scenes with Nene, as while I won't deny that the character did maintain her use in the story unlike anime!Nene, it still was a bit unpleasant seeing some of the scenes with her Shademon form.

Shadow Shinji

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The only major thing I didn't like about it is the aforementioned jailbait scenes with Nene, as while I won't deny that the character did maintain her use in the story unlike anime!Nene, it still was a bit unpleasant seeing some of the scenes with her Shademon form.
What do you exactly mean with this guys? When I read the manga I didn't see that as fan-service at all. I would rather say that the writers tried to deepen in Nene's psychological development (which is actually better than in the anime), by putting her in extreme situations (she choose to force a DigiXros with Shademon in order to save her sister, who probably would haven't resisted it in her state of health at that time) and at the same time, they introduced the concept of a DigiXros between a Digimon and a Human.

Last edited:

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
When I read the manga I didn't see that as fan-service at all.
It should have been pretty obvious, what with all the nudity and posing. That started even before the Shademon/Luminamon stuff.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've never read it and even I think it's fanservice. ...So... If she had on some kind of jumpsuit would it be better?

Lhikan634

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That would make her turn into the Digimon version of Natasha Romanova :p

As far as story elements, I'd probably lean towards the manga even having only read a portion thereof. The very fact of using Millenniummon gains some major points (timey-wimey, wibbly-wobbly). Plus, the Digimon mangas tend to be a lot more focused.

The anime loses major points over Nene's transformation and over the remaining Death Generals becoming nothing but Team Rocket for quite some time. The plot, though divided into arcs, feels more like separate stories than continuations. A part of this, somewhat ironically, seems to be due to keeping Bagramon as the main villain through the whole deal. He obviously was slated to be the final boss from the beginning, (and the episode with the return to Earth seems like it was the "full series alternate ending" counterpart to a "short, defeat-Bagramon-now series ending").

That being said, the XW anime was enjoyable in its own right, though took a while to feel like Digimon for me.

prismblack91

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
right then, also I ship Taiki/Akari more in the manga than the anime.

V-tamer-02

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I can't be bothered reading all of you guys' posts, but I'm gonna go with the manga on this one. I mean the anime was good, but it was agreeably disjointed at some parts. I'm basing this on Xros Wars by the way, not fusion, and there is a very big difference. I love the way they both separately imagine the digital world, but that's the thing is the anime was maybe a bit too imaginative? I'm not gonna lie I was confused. And the way it deals with time and all. Whereas the manga fucks with time on a completely different spectrum to the anime, I found the manga to ultimately pull it off better with the Xros Loader loop and whatnot. But yeah, the manga was super pervy compared to the anime I'll concede that.

breaker335

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
From what I hear, Taiki isn't that much of a Gary Stu in the manga compared to the anime.

prismblack91

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah he isn't, he's abit more tamed and his backstory is abit more fleshed out.

also the Royal Knights are good guys in the manga UlforceVeedramon is ZeroMaru

takararavenheart

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Am I the only one who likes the anime more? I felt Nene and Yuu's bond was done a lot stronger than Nene and Kotone to be honest and the characters were much more interesting in the anime. Taiki and Nene's scene with wanting to get rid of the sadness together was a gem. I loved the Death Generals arc because you could feel there really was a war going on and Kiriha became likeable plus the fact that Yuu did everything in his own will was an amazing part of the arc. Maybe it's just me but I do prefer the anime although Kotone was a cool character.

The Victory Tamer

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've never actually watched Fusion so I don't have a point of comparison.

But Xros Wars was the best thing since V-Tamer. And that includes V-Tamer itself. My only gripe about it was that it was only 22 chapters long.