Digimon V-Pet fangame for PC (alpha)

JonicOokami7

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
1.5 times? So in estimate from 10 pounds the Overweight limit would be 25 to 30?

Also taking notes on my latest attempts so i can give you a better idea

theundersigned

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really appreciate all the effort your putting into this!

1.5 times would mean a starting weight of 10 would have an overweight limit of 15, a weight of 20 would have an overweight limit of 30, 40 would be 60, etc.

JonicOokami7

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Then the overweight bit might be my problem. as my Rookie typically has around 30 pounds on it when it dies (it's starting weight is 10)
This goes back to how I said earlier on how hard it was to reduce it's weight in conjunction of training without fatiguing the Digimon.

Current status
Times fet (Per hour) - 4
Times trained (Per Hour) - 2
Vitamins given - 1
Times trained - 3
Times Fatigued -
Times Sick -
Times injured - 1

(Successes)
Virus Train - 0
Data Train - 0
Vaccine Train - 0

Update - Died again. didnt even get past frash
Times fed (Per hour) - 4
Times trained (Per Hour) - 4
Vitamins given - 1
Times trained - 4
Times Fatigued -
Times Sick -
Times injured - 1

(Successes)
Virus Train - 0
Data Train - 1
Vaccine Train - 0

Last edited:

theundersigned

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Your rookie's base weight was 20 from what I saw when I played using the files you sent me, so it isn't overweight until it's over 30. It's probably easier just to pay attention to which way the scale tilts if you can't remember the base weight of a Digimon, especially since they tend to be different.

Which way is the scale tilting in this game you've posted the stats for? If you're still having trouble with maintaining weight, what I've found effective is to train on 1 hunger heart until weight is 5 or more less than the base. Then I'll feed 3 times and repeat as needed every couple hours. Doing this, I actually have to worry more about being underweight rather than overweight.

For example, upon hatching I usually feed 1 vitamin. This makes hunger and strength each go up 1. Then I train until weight is around 5 or 6. Then I feed 3 times so that weight is around 9. If I can still train more, then I train another couple times and feed after. When strength has decreased enough so that I don't have to worry about fatigue, I repeat this pattern. If I want to increase mood a bit more, then I'll feed until weight is 2 or 3 greater than base weight.

I'm sure other strategies work, but this is what I've found most effective.

Let me make a recording of what I usually do. I'll use the files you sent me as well.

Last edited:

JonicOokami7

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'll be honest i never noticed that the scale points in different directions until you told me. will take note of this later.
after updating to the newest version I've began again using you're mentioned strategy. (with a few new factors and details added)

Playing speed - 4X
Current Level - Fresh
Current Weight - 6 (Normal)
Current Mood - Unhappy
Current Age - 0

Hunger *---
Strength ****

Times fed (Per hour) - 3
Times trained (Per Hour) - 4
Vitamins given - 2
Times trained - 8
Times Fatigued - 1
Times Sick - 0
Times injured - 0

(Successes)
Virus Train - 1
Data Train - 0
Vaccine Train - 0

Last edited:

theundersigned

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Looking good so far!

I think a lot of people would miss that small change in the icon, so I made some diagrams explaining most of the symbols I use in the menus. They're under the controls section on the first page if you're interested in checking them out.

You probably don't need this anymore, but I figure I'll put it here anyway. Maybe someone will find some use for it.

JonicOokami7

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Honestly never knew you even made that vid. It did teach me something at least that I can change defense while the cannon is fireing. will make data training easier.

Playing speed - 4X
Current Level - In-Training
Current Weight - 17 (15 Base) (Normal)
Current Mood - Unhappy
Current Age - 0

Hunger *---
Strength **--
Energy 18/24
Times fed (Per hour) - 3
Times trained (Per Hour) - 5
Vitamins given - 2
Times trained - 13
Times Fatigued - 2
Times Sick - 0
Times injured - 0

(Successes)
Vaccine - 1 (2 Power estimate)
Data - 0 (0 Defense estimate)
Virus - 10 (20 Speed estimate)

theundersigned

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really like this template you're making. To make it easier on you, though, I think I'll re-enable the debug menu. My biggest concern was that it wasn't being used for testing purposes, but I think you could get a lot of use out of it. I'll throw it back in with the next update.

JonicOokami7

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
sounds like a plan. It will make documenting the growth alot more easier so we can figure out what to tweek

Current Status

Playing speed - 4X
Current Level - In-Training
Current Weight - 17 (15 Base) (Normal)
Current Mood - Unhappy
Current Age - 0

Hunger **--
Strength ***-
Energy 15/24
Times fed (Per hour) - 3
Times trained (Per Hour) - 5
Vitamins given - 4
Times trained - 23
Times Fatigued - 3
Times Sick - 0
Times injured - 1

(Successes)
Vaccine - 6 (12 Power estimate)
Data - 5 (10 Defense estimate)
Virus - 10 (20 Speed estimate)

Added the debug window. it seems i might have made a few more care mistakes then i initially thought

Going by recent observation. Scoulding the Digimon when it refuses at low obedience it takes 20 Points off mood. Which i feel is a harsh exchange. as I've had to discipline the Digimon very often.

Enemy Digimon are still too fast on Adventure mode. on lower levels this is frustrating as they are guarantied to finish you off on the next turn

Last edited:

theundersigned

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Scolding at low obedience should take off 15 mood. I suspect the extra 5 is coming from somewhere else.

While 15 might seem like it's too harsh, it actually makes more sense if you consider the numbers for raising mood. Since scolding is directly paired with praising, you're actually only losing 5 mood at a time. (Although in this Digimon's case, the numbers are a little different because of its negative disposition - I believe it should actually be losing about 10)

It looks like the bulk of your low mood is coming from not treating your Digimon to its favorites. Feeding your Digimon its favorite food, for example, will increase mood much more than feeding it meat. And training it during its favorite time of day instead of at night will increase mood a great deal as well over time. Once mood reaches a more satisfactory level, you can then try feeding something else. For example, fish will increase enthusiasm, which will cause the Digimon to enjoy training more.

For emergency mood boosters, you can always try praising when you would normally scold. This will decrease obedience, but it will increase mood. Since the chance of refusal is calculated using the Digimon's mood, this might be useful in the short run.

P.S. I made a small change to the debug menu. With the next version, you'll have to enable it from the start menu by pressing the following sequence of keys: Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B

Last edited:

JonicOokami7

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh kool. I need to use the Konami Code.

It's true I lacked on feeding it it's fave food. (I wasn't sure that it affects mood. as well as training at specific day points either)
But diddling around with the debug I did start feeding it the Radish more (which helps raise Obediance so thats an upside for being a fave food).

Still can't seem to beat an enemy digimon yet though.

Current Status

theundersigned

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Adventure mode is also fully moddable. The enemies.csv file has every opponent in each zone of the game with its stats listed. You can check it out or even change anything if you want to. And if you do change anything, please let me know if you think of any numbers that seem more balanced.

JonicOokami7

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

A few minor edits. but From what I can see. I feel alot of the Zone 1 Digimon for a start should have Power levels under 10 for the first hundred steps (I.E Kuwagamon, Sukamon Numemon) As I feel players will more then likely jump into this the first chance they get if they havnt trained enough (Something I did)

Pirone

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Created an account just for this because I think it is pretty awesome.
Just a few notes on the latest version.
-A small bug when it is raining(or night time? I think it was both), whenever you enter and leave the evolution tree menu the screen gets darker everytime until you can't see anything. Then you have to save and quit to fix it. The "darkness" isn't changing correctly when you change the UI size, too.
-I don't know if it's an issue just here on my PC, but when playing with normal clock speed, it actually goes a tiny bit faster than real time, after about an hour you have start to see the difference, and the digimons always die overnight because even if you go to sleep by 22:00, when you return at 6 AM it's already 13:00 for the digimon.
-Ever think about adding an autosave feature? Like saving everytime the player does something active(feeding, training, teaching, cleaning, exploring, NOT cycling through menus) and when the game is closed. Or if it's too much load for the game(it's already using 250mg of RAM, that's a lot for an app like this) just do it every 10 minutes and when the game is closed.
-I think it would be fair to still show the evolution requirements even when the entries are locked on the evolution tree menu, this way you can actively try to evolve into unknown digimon instead of shooting in the dark in hopes of getting a different digimon than the ones you already found.
Looking forward to see this grow. Best wishes.

Pirone

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The "3/16/18 (Version 1)" build seems to have fixed the time skipping a lot when the day transitions, but time still flows a little bit faster than real time when the game is running, and even without the time skip in the morning of the next day the digimon still dies as if a lot of time has passed. Ever considered using the system clock insted just for the real-time mode? It might automatically fix all those problems.
The digimon is also sleeping a lot during daytime, is this normal?
The screen getting darker when leaving the evolution tree still happens to me, it seems it adds another layer of the dark filter whenever you leave it.

Takeshi55

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Is there a way to change the size of the device? My 4K monitor makes it hard to use V-Pet.

theundersigned

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
You can go into settings and choose one of the highlighted boxes

theundersigned

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Could you take a screenshot of the current largest size so I have an idea of how much bigger it should be?

Gennaimon

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wow, this is pretty cool. I should have seen this before I started making my own.
I guess they have different features.