Digimon V-Pet fangame for PC (alpha)

theundersigned

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yay, Frontier update! I was just having performance issues too, but whatever happened here seemed to fix it. Checking the tree I found only one booboo - Orochimon evolving from Asuramon. I like the indicator that shows in the middle when you select direct interaction, too.
Oops, thanks for letting me know. And just in case the issues you experienced aren't fixed, what was happening?

I was thinking about modding and I was wondering if it's possible to add stages (Armor, Ultra/Super Ultimate and None/Xros). If it is, how would I go about doing that? I also want to know how to designate a digimon as a failure evolution (like chuumon, numemon, nanimon and sukamon)
For adding custom stages, I'd have to see if it's possible to add new enumerables from a string pulled out of a csv file. Which seems kind of anti-patterny (although the csv files are kind of anti-patterny in and of themselves) and I doubt it's even possible, but there's probably a better way. I'd probably have to drop the enum altogether and go for some kind of dictionary instead...although at that point I might as well just make it a string.

As for failed evolutions, the best way I could probably approach that is by adding FailedEvolution to the SpecialEvolution enums, but the only special thing about failed evolutions is that they don't appear in the evolution tree. As for adding new failure evolutions at the moment, they're essentially just evolutions with the difficulty set to -1 or any number lower than a Digimon's other possible evolutions.

EDIT: The SpecialEvolution column in evolutions.csv is responsible for making a Digimon Armor or Xros (Xros not implemented yet). That way I don't have to make small changes for every Digimon and can easily have a stronger Digimon like Magnamon be both an Armor evolution and a Mega/Ultimate.

Last edited:

kidhate

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hey awesome update! I've currently got a Imperialdramon PM who is clearing through adventure mode easily but have encountered a question. can you only have one digimental at a time? and how long do they stick around? I've gotten three so far but can only ever see one. I got out of the game for a short time but when I went back I have any of my digimentals? are they temporary or was it a glitch?

theundersigned

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oof. Thanks for the bug report. Looks like I screwed up royally when I decided to make tickets different than normal items. I think I fixed it, though. I'll try to get the bug fix up as soon as I make sure everything's working. Sorry for the trouble.

Last edited:

e105zeta

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oops, thanks for letting me know. And just in case the issues you experienced aren't fixed, what was happening?
It just hung on the load game screen, it's never done that before, even on the same patch. But after the Frontier & Trains update it stopped.

GenericUsernamemon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A suggestion: Whenever/If you ever decide to add the X digimon, you should have the rookies evolve into Numemon X instead of regular Numemon as a failure evolution.

GenericUsernamemon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hey I just noticed. You have "Siesamon" as one of Bokomon's parents, but you still have that Digimon named as "Seasarmon".

kidhate

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm noticing some weird ups and downs with my digimon's weight, mood, and obedience. When my digimon gets to no energy and its stamina won't go below 2 I get some odd effects such as its mood constantly going down even as I feed them their favorite food, a veg, yet their obedience doesn't move or sometimes even decreases. Its happened a couple times so I thought I was just messing up especially since their weight was getting really high causing them to get injured during battle or exercise and make their weight go up even more, but after they just woke up from their nap their weight went from 125 to a legitimate 0...got any ideas for what happened?

theundersigned

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I have a couple ideas of what could be happening. Most of these values can also be changed in the config file if you're interested.

So, if the Digimon's hunger is already 4, then feeding it its favorite food won't increase mood as much as usual. Plus if they're over/underweight, they'll get a mood penalty each hour, so that might be why mood is behaving strangely. Obedience and mood will also decrease slightly if you feed them until they can't eat anymore.

If the Digimon has a positive disposition, then that could also account for how obedience is going down. A positive disposition will let mood increase more easily, but will cause obedience to be more difficult to increase.

If the Digimon doesn't have a positive disposition, then I'm not sure what's happening. Is it the hourly obedience decrement? When energy decreases to 0 or less than 0, there's also a small obedience and mood penalty.

Weight decreasing to 0 from 125 sounds like the calories system bugging out (since a sudden drop like that could only happen through that system). After 1 day passes, weight changes based on how many calories remain in the Digimon. Calories increase by feeding the Digimon and decrease through activity.

They're supposed to cause weight to increase or decrease if they're within a certain range calculated based on the Digimon's base weight and age. The amount weight changes is a factor of base weight and the weight change coefficient in the config file.

But I don't know how weight is decreasing to 0 in the first place. It shouldn't be possible to decrease below 1. I can't find anything else that's interacting directly with the weight variable, though. Everything is going through a set weight method that checks the weight before it's replaced with the new value.

It's possible weight is just being replaced with 0 for some other reason, since it's the default integer. Maybe there's an error being thrown somewhere. Is there anything new in the errorlog file?

GenericUsernamemon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
https://imgur.com/a/7AQXOXr
Here are some sprite sheets for if you ever consider adding the Ultra/Super Ultimate stage. I simply took the existing sprites of several megas you already had and put them on their own sheets.
0 0 Alphamon O
1 0 Apocalimon
2 0 Arkadimon VI
3 0 Armagemon
4 0 Chaosmon
5 0 Chaosmon VA
6 0 Chronomon HM
7 0 Belphemon
8 0 Demon VII
9 0 Examon
10 0 Gallantmon CM
0 1 GraceNovamon
1 1 Huanglongmon
2 1 Imperialdramon PM
3 1 Lucemon SM
4 1 Odugomon
5 1 Omnimon
6 1 Omnimon S
7 1 Omnimon ZD
8 1 Ordinemon
9 1 Quartzmon
10 1 Rafflesimon
0 2 RagnaLordmon
1 2 Raidenmon
2 2 Susanoomon
3 2 TyrantKabuterimon
4 2 UlforceVeedramon FM
5 2 UltimateChaosmon
6 2 ZeedMilleniumon
7 2 Aegisdramon (If you decide to change it to a jogress between Plesiomon and MetalSeadramon)

I would also recommend this stage if you ever add Agumon BOC, Belphemon X, DarknessBagramon, Examon X, Gabumon BOF, GrandGeneramon, Jesmon GX, Ogudomon X, OmegaArmamon BM, Omnimon B, Omnimon MM, Omnimon X, Omnimon Z and Shoutmon X7SM

kidhate

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
There is nothing in the errorlogs. I don't over feed them if I can help it so I get the best effects. Since I'm playing through adventure mode I run out of energy fast. My main issue is that I can't seem to get enough energy from naps to keep them awake so they sleep naturally. When they nap they tend to only get 10 energy which isn't enough keep them awake until they sleep. If I try to keep them awake I have to bottom out their energy so that they don't lose strength but then they gain weight because they can't exercise. And if I just make them nap they don't gain enough energy so its a constant loop. That was my problem. I'm not sure if using the time-skipping affected my energy loss/gain?

*edit* I realize my problem is likely related to age as my digimon was 29 at this time. As they got older their hunger and strength bars fell far faster. My imperialdramon PM passed away at the age of 33 and was incapable of doing almost anything aside from eating and training because of how fast their bars drained. They gained weight rapidly due to not keeping enough energy due to the constant training needs, usually losing all of it by the awakelapse of 2, thus making me keep them awake by force with no way to exercise them.

On the upside I have discovered that if the weight is too high and they have a very high calorie number when the next day comes then their weight gets reset back to the bottom again. This happened to me basically every day to every other day at the 31 - 33 age mark so I have definitely tested it. Still love the game and I'm excited to get to raise another one!

Also when you have no energy feeding of anything will lower mood. I fed with veg mostly, because it was the fav food and only added 2 calories/weight, because it only decreased the mood by 1. Unless its hunger was at 4 hearts in which case veg would make mood go down by around 8. Feeding with an apple reduced the obedience by 1 like normal but reduced mood by over 10 each time! Meat and fish also reduced mood by a large amount every feeding as well.

Last edited:

Eiji

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Just wanted to give a shoutout and thank you here! Game is great and support is perfect.

theundersigned

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thanks! Unfortunately I won't have much time to work on this until people cool the heck down with their crazy grocery shopping. But I'll try my best to fix bugs when I can. The worse they are, the harder I'll work to find time to fix them.

On the upside I have discovered that if the weight is too high and they have a very high calorie number when the next day comes then their weight gets reset back to the bottom again. This happened to me basically every day to every other day at the 31 - 33 age mark so I have definitely tested it.
If it's age related, there is a mechanic where the Digimon loses weight at a certain interval defined in the config file. Maybe that's why weight drops so much? But then again, weight only decreases 1 each hour under the current settings, so it doesn't seem like that should have such a significant impact. I'm still trying to figure out why calories are screwing up the weight.

Also when you have no energy feeding of anything will lower mood. I fed with veg mostly, because it was the fav food and only added 2 calories/weight, because it only decreased the mood by 1. Unless its hunger was at 4 hearts in which case veg would make mood go down by around 8. Feeding with an apple reduced the obedience by 1 like normal but reduced mood by over 10 each time! Meat and fish also reduced mood by a large amount every feeding as well.
That's weird. It must be age related because I can't reproduce the bug on a young Digimon. If you still have a backup of when your old Digimon was still alive, could you send it to me just in case? I'll also try fiddling with the Digimon's age, but it's always possible it might be something unique to the save file itself.

Last edited:

GenericUsernamemon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Found another mistake in the parents file. You have Tankdramon evolving into Blimpmon. These are both Ultimates right?

kidhate

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That's weird. It must be age related because I can't reproduce the bug on a young Digimon. If you still have a backup of when your old Digimon was still alive, could you send it to me just in case? I'll also try fiddling with the Digimon's age, but it's always possible it might be something unique to the save file itself.
I didn't manage to save anything from my old digimon. I'm not sure if you can access it from my new digimon on the same save file? I still have the inheritance chip as well though I don't know what it does exactly.

theundersigned

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Found another mistake in the parents file. You have Tankdramon evolving into Blimpmon. These are both Ultimates right?
Oops. Probably meant for that to be Tankmon I guess

I didn't manage to save anything from my old digimon. I'm not sure if you can access it from my new digimon on the same save file? I still have the inheritance chip as well though I don't know what it does exactly.
Unfortunately I can't. The Digimon mostly resets when you get a new one. The stuff that's leftover is just items and history and whatnot.

Well, I'll keep poking at it. Let me know next time it happens.

GenericUsernamemon

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Here's a colorization mod I'm working on which may or may not get finished at some point long in the future.

Last edited:

theundersigned

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This looks great! I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes :]