Digimon V-Pet fangame for PC (alpha)

Anomalocaritchi

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
When you say giving them a bath, do you mean cleaning up their poop?
Or is a new feature? o:

theundersigned

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The bath is just an item in the shop. Just tweaking some items here and there when I think of something new. For the bath, I thought it would make sense if it made the Digimon less fatigued, but I didn't want to decrease strength without increasing energy.

undeadstripper

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
i was wondering if i could make my own skins and was there a limit to the size lke if i wanted could i make it 4k resolution

theundersigned

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
You can edit all the visual elements in the game by just editing the png files in the resources folder inside the jar. The only issue is that the dimensions of the png files have to remain the same. Some of the images are at a higher scale (like the digimon sprites, which are scaled up to 48x48 from 16x16) to give people some flexibility, but the program is unfortunately dependent on all the dimensions staying the same.

EDIT: I changed the default keys to avoid interfering with the text fields. I'm working on a separate system for selecting letters in a text field, but the only way I could think to avoid any interference was to create a setting in the config file for whether the keyboard "cursor" is enabled.

Last edited:

e105zeta

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Something I wanted to ask - is there any point to the Field in the game yet? Like in terms of gameplay mechanics? Are you perhaps thinking of implementing the DNA/DigiSoul system from the Digimon Accelerator and Digivice IC?

Last edited:

theundersigned

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I hadn't thought of that actually. That might be a fun idea. Do you mean requiring a certain number of dna for certain evolutions? Would the dna be earned from defeating enemies that have that dna or would it be "scanned" in some kind of minigame?

Fields currently function similar to elements in Cyber Sleuth. The problem is, I haven't thought of a good way to let the player know how it affects combat. When I implement cards that cause more long term effects to the battle, I was thinking of having a menu displaying the current state of the cards in effect. Maybe I'll stick that information there.

To account for the fact that there's only 1 Digimon rather than 3+, I've also started to program effects that alter your or the opponent's field. But they're still a work in progress.

e105zeta

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I hadn't thought of that actually. That might be a fun idea. Do you mean requiring a certain number of dna for certain evolutions? Would the dna be earned from defeating enemies that have that dna or would it be "scanned" in some kind of minigame?
Yeah, that's prety much how it worked. There were 8 different DNA/DigiSoul types and then each individual Digimon could eat up to 3 different types to help influence evolution outside of care mistakes. For instance, Piyomon can eat Virus Buster, Wind Guardian, and Dragon's Roar DigiSoul.

For DVPet, a scanning minigame of some sort could replace the DigiSoul scan feature from those two DigiVices for desktop play and I suppose you could do a QR or barcode scanning feature for mobile play?

Fields currently function similar to elements in Cyber Sleuth. The problem is, I haven't thought of a good way to let the player know how it affects combat. When I implement cards that cause more long term effects to the battle, I was thinking of having a menu displaying the current state of the cards in effect. Maybe I'll stick that information there.

To account for the fact that there's only 1 Digimon rather than 3+, I've also started to program effects that alter your or the opponent's field. But they're still a work in progress.
That sounds really cool. It certainly is a bit hard to think of giving feedback for such detailed effects on a small screen. Exclamation marks or "O" for advantage and the mini training shields or "X" for disadvantage, maybe? The X and O seems like the easiest but the meanings are apparently opposite between Eastern and Western hemispheres (in the West X is failure and O is success while I think it's reversed in the East).

EDIT - There's an icon during the middle of the hit animation that looks like a monster head that could be altered to give more feedback, maybe?

Last edited:

e105zeta

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Sorry for the double post, but the comment on additional minigames got me thinking, so I spent some hours doing some research and the following list appears to be every minigame ever made for Tamagotchi or Digimon that can be played with only 3 buttons, boiled down to it's mechanics (since Tamagotchi repeats a lot of games but changes their themes).

* Analyze: A Digimon runs across the screen and then select 1 out of 2 names to correctly identify it.

* Autograph: Up to two baby Digimon will surround yours asking for either an autograph (with a pencil icon) or ignoring you. Hit (A) to sign left, (B) to sign right, (C) to sign both or none to not sign. You loose by not signing a fan's autograph or giving an autograph to someone who doesn't want it.

* Bad Egg: Two DigiTama will appear on screen, scrolling, hit left or right to smash one with a hammer. Smash only the cracked or completely black eggs.

* Bag Switch - Swap a Food bag and a Garbage can/Toilet to make sure two rows consisting of either filth or food are collected properly.

* Balloon - Press a button to rapidly inflate a balloon without popping it.

* Blackjack: Your Digimon presents a number, and the player must guess whether the next number it thinks of will be higher (B button) or lower (A button) than the displayed number. It cannot pick a number higher than 9, or lower than 1.

* Cooking: Memorize the requested kebab/cake/sandwich and then match all three scrolling ingredients.

* Counting Game: Various items will drop from the top, then the player is asked how many of a certain item fell.

* Crane Game: Press one button to move the claw and then another one to lower it to scoop up prizes.

* Dance: Memorize your Digimon's dance moves (Left, Right, and/or Jump) and repeat them in sequence.

* Defender: A simplified Space Invaders-style game where you scroll a target back and forth and another button to fire on advancing incoming attackers. Avoid hitting Hearts.

* Demolish: Lower a tower by scrolling a hammer to the indicated floor and knocking it away. Do it quickly or you run out of time.

* Derby: Use money to place a bet on what position your Digimon will finish a race in.

* Dodge: Avoid incoming filth from the top of the screen by moving left and right.

* Flag Game: Quickly match your Digimon holding up a white Flag (A), black flag (b), or both (c)

* Friend or Foe: Two Digimon appear on screen. Press one or two buttons to attack enemy Digimon but hold your fire for your own.

* Gourmet Race: While auto-scrolling Press A to eat incoming food and B to eat incoming Vitamins. Reach the end before time runs out.

* Guessing Game: Guess high or low for 5 rounds. Best 3 out of 5 wins.

* Harvest: Collect food that falls from the top of the screen in a basket while avoiding filth.

* Hide and Seek: Select one out of four boxes you think a Digimon is hiding in.

* Hurdles: Auto-scroll and press a button to jump over Filth.

* Identify: A Digimon sprite and a series of scrolling sprites are shown. Hit a button when they both match.

* Jump Rope: Have your Digimon jump right before the rope hits the bottom of the screen to repeatedly clear it.

* Longjump - Quickly press 1 of three buttons indicated to have your Digimon jump farther in a competition.

* Matching Game: Match 2 out of four possible items hidden behind cards.

* Math: Solve a simple two digit equation.

* Mining: A picture of a item is shown. Use a hammer to hit one of the scrolling items that matches the indicated one.

* Music: Guitar hero with three buttons.

* Puzzle: Match the top and half bottoms of a Digimon's sprite.

* Rock Paper Scissors - Self-Explanatory.

* Safe Crack - The character sits in front of a safe. Two numbers are shown above, and the player must make the numbers appear on the safe to open it. Press A to scroll the numbers on the left up, from 0 to 9 and back. Press B to scroll the second number down, from 9 to 0 and back. When the combination has been entered, press C to open the safe.

* Shell Game - Self-explanatory.

* Slots - Match 3 icons to win.

* Soccer - Move your Digimon left or right then press Jump to headbutt away incoming Soccer balls. Prevent any of them from hitting the ground.

* Street Race - Auto-scroll on a screen with three lanes. Use two buttons to dodge incoming barriers.

* Tea - Pour tea into cups only if they are placed correctly on the table. If the glass is placed upright, press the corresponding button to pour tea into it (A for left, B for right, both for both cups), and if both cups are placed wrong, don't pour any tea.

* Whack-A-Virus: The user uses the A and C buttons to move the hand left to right and the B button to whack the creatures with a hammer. Don't hit Hearts.

theundersigned

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wow, thanks for this! I've been thinking about what kind of mini games I could add if I were to switch training games up every 50 levels or so. This will help give me a lot of ideas!

e105zeta

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Say, I was looking through the debug menu and at one point it said my Reppamon had 1 care mistake, then it said 0. Is it possible to have care mistakes heal or dissapear?

theundersigned

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
"Mistake Days" reset each day, but they're different than care mistakes.

The only ways care mistakes go away are by evolving or using one of the more expensive items. It must have been some kind of artifact.

e105zeta

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ah, OK, I must've gotten those two types confused.

e105zeta

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Meicoomon can now evolve into PlatinumSukamon, another adult. (I'd actually be fine with this as a mechanic but I'm sure if you're not careful you could open up some sort of infinite evolution loop that would make your Digimon immortal)

Ludomon can evolve straight into Rapidmon Perfect, though this kind of evolution is possible in the card game and in other evolution lines so not sure if it's an error. Everything else seems fine with the new update (so far)

theundersigned

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Huh. I never touched Meicoomon, so that must have been there for a while. I must have just been copying the stuff from wikimon without thinking. Thanks for finding that! I did mess with Ludomon, though...I'll get that fixed too.

Raptorbiscut

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hey, new guy here. Just wanted to say this game is amazing. My wife loves digimon and I got preordered us the original 20th anniversary vpet wave 2 but they don't have a functional pause button. Being busy adults this game is great in that you can just turn it off while away from the computer. I do have one question though. Some adult/champion mons don't appear in the evolution tree screen when looking through them. I have a Kotemon and you can't see Musyamon through it. I have to go to something Musyamon can digivolve into and then work my way backwards. Is it supposed to do that.

e105zeta

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hey, new guy here. Just wanted to say this game is amazing. My wife loves digimon and I got preordered us the original 20th anniversary vpet wave 2 but they don't have a functional pause button. Being busy adults this game is great in that you can just turn it off while away from the computer. I do have one question though. Some adult/champion mons don't appear in the evolution tree screen when looking through them. I have a Kotemon and you can't see Musyamon through it. I have to go to something Musyamon can digivolve into and then work my way backwards. Is it supposed to do that.
There should be an arrow above or below certain Digimon in the tree. This will let you scroll through the evolutions for Digimon that have more than 10 or so. Musyamon's on Kotemon's second page.

Torterenek

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
so, for some reason, my pet never hits in the circle training. i press the button multiple times, and it never hits.

theundersigned

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It doesn't seem to be a bug. At least from what I've tested.

The button needs to be hit at least 20 times. But this number can be changed in the config.csv file inside the jar, so it could go as low or as high as you like.

Torterenek

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, I guess 20 is a bit too high. And why is refuse rate 100?

Last edited: