Digimon V-Pet fangame for PC (alpha)

ShadowBoy

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
theundersigned My digimon already give me a present however when I go to items it still shows "Empty". Have I done something wrong?

EDIT - It didnt appear at first but after awhile it already show on ITEMS =)

Last edited:

theundersigned

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What item was it? That's not something I've come across yet. And unfortunately I have no clue why it behaved that way.

I'll try to figure out what caused the delay, so let me know if it happens again.

e105zeta

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I had trouble assigning prices and money to items and tournaments because I wasn't sure how important the items and food would be. I don't have any problem with changing these numbers, though. I'd like to increase how much money is won from tournaments specifically since most items have multiple uses. But I'm sure item prices could use an adjustment as well.

Let me know if anyone has any ideas or if someone's changed the prices themselves and found a point that works better.
Mainly I think that some of the backgrounds need to come down in price since I feel like my Digimon is living in a padded room in an insane asylum? I'd also settle for just changing the default background tbh.

camakis

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
hi! first of all i absolutely love this and think it's a great idea! i just downloaded the most recent version yesterday, but i've found that whenever i try to reload a save after closing, everything appears to be frozen. i know the correct save is loaded because i can click on the information tab and all the stats match up, but the only tabs i can click on are the information tab and the save / save+quit tab. every other option isn't responsive. i usually can't see my digimon at all, or I'll see a freeze-frame of my digimon doing whatever it might be doing normally. i'm just wondering if this has happened before and i missed how to load save files correctly, or if there's otherwise any way to fix this?

theundersigned

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That sounds new, actually. Sorry about all the trouble. Hopefully it's something I can fix quickly when I get off work. By any chance, is there an error log .txt file in the game's folders?

camakis

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
don't worry about it! i'm not really sure what it could be either-- i updated my java before downloading and playing anything. i looked through all the folders and there wasn't any error log file.

Anomalocaritchi

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hello again! I haven't updated to the newest version, my version is the 11/28 version.
I entered a Tournament, an age 9 tournament, and won the first battle. Then it froze while showing the latest victors and losers of the bracket :(
Here's the Tournament icon

I'm afraid I don't remember what the fighters involved were :(
Also I don't remember where to find bug reports

theundersigned

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Uh oh. Sorry about that. The errorlog.txt file should be in the game folders with the change log txt file and whatnot. Let me know if you find it when you get the chance.

Anomalocaritchi

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ah that explains it, there isn't a bug report :3
I had to force close the program so maybe that's why...?

theundersigned

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hm. If there's no error log, then I don't think the game is "technically" breaking. It must be looping endlessly or something.

I can't seem to reproduce it either, so I can only imagine it was caused by a specific Ultimate/Perfect level Digimon. If it froze while it was showing the result of each NPC's fight, then it must have hung up on one of those fights. Maybe a certain combination of attacks and AI caused one of the matchups to last forever. Do you remember what was on the screen when the program froze?

I think what I'll do is have one of the npcs surrender after a certain number of turns.

Last edited:

Anomalocaritchi

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I do not, but it looks like it may be fixed :)
I'll letcha know if I encounter it again

Also the special sprites for attacks is a super cool idea! Excited to see Platinum Numemon's once my Etemon evolves!

theundersigned

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
All the attack sprites I used are from the virtual pets, and I think I used platinum numemon's attack sprite from the DMX. They might be fun to customize later though.

Meramonburning

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The special attack sprites make this game even more complete and appreciable. Thank you for your work.

Bowwing

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hey i'm someone who loves to play this, however i wish i was able to port it to something like a raspberry pi 0 in order to play it on the go so i could make it it look like a full on digivice. I was wondering if there was a way to make it work on a 3 button system like full on digivices, so i as wondering if you could make it run on a 3 button system? Thanks and much love, Bowwing

theundersigned

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I can look into it when I get the chance. It'd probably take some time to finish, though, so for now I'll probably prioritize the features I have planned already

EDIT: This is actually a lot more interesting than what I'm currently working on, so I'll see if I can get it sorted first

Last edited:

Anomalocaritchi

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Things are looking good on my halloween themed v-pet shell and habitat!
A three button system sounds neat! Would we have to update shells though?
Either way would it'll be cool!
(All credit for the Shell and Habitat go to the artist V-Pet on Tumblr)

e105zeta

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I wonder if there's some sort of imaging program that could take normal backgrounds and convert them into looking pixelated enough to be used as DVPet backgrounds? I have a handle on how to make new Digimon sprites, but the background thing kind of eludes me. I ask because I feel like the default screen might be better served by being the Village of Beginnings.

theundersigned

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Background's looking great! And that shell reminds me I still need a way to add new designs more easily...Pretty sure I said that last time too...

Making everything work with 3 buttons won't be visually represented on screen like Digimon Unlimited. It'll just be an alternative to the mouse.

Backgrounds can be edited like normal, and any new background can be named anything you like. The only restriction is that the default background is always called defaultBack or whatever. So if you want a different default, you'll have to replace the current default background image.

The image itself only has to have the same dimensions as the other background images and has to be a png file.

To get backgrounds to appear in game, you only need to fill everything out in the habitats.csv file and have a price greater than 0. Then it should show up in the game's shop.

Anomalocaritchi

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It seems like TimeSkip being disabled isn't working, I loaded up some of my old saves, specifically my Pteranomon and my Gesomon.
They died as soon as I loaded them up, but I looked into the debug and they still had plenty of life left. As soon as I went back 10 minutes they popped back to life.

Also thank you for the compliment on my new shell and background c:

theundersigned

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Fixed the bug. I forgot to include a section of the time skip calculations in the check for whether they were disabled or not.

EDIT: Fixed some new, serious bugs while working on the keyboard. Since I'm a pleb coder and don't have a github setup for my project, I uploaded the fix along with what I've done with the keyboard implementation so far under the assumption that it wouldn't affect normal gameplay. Let me know if anything happens as a result of this half-finished feature, and hopefully I'll get it fully finished before too long.

Last edited: