Digimon V-Pet fangame for PC (alpha)

JonicOokami7

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It works now. With this knowledge in mind I feel I am capable of making more mods for this app. In fact I was initially going to distribute Lupemon publicly for people who are interested in DVP. But I felt I would be more comfortable with him more personal. (Not that anyone would care much anyway)
Though I have worked up a few Obscure characters in the franchise like so.
Overlord GAIA

Vemmon

theundersigned

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Glad it works!

I think it would be really cool if people wanted to share their own custom Digimon or custom evolution lines with other people. The sprites I've seen from you so far are really nice especially. It'd be awesome if I had somewhere for people to exchange each other's work.

JonicOokami7

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well. For now we could just use this thread. But I think it would be fun to build a modding community for this fan game. I hope I can encourage other people to do it with any Future mod i make and release.

ETA:
Playing around with the pet i've had multiple times where my Digimon has died before reaching champion.

I feel that It's mostly the inability to make the Digimon fall asleep faster so it can recover it's energy.
The lack of ability to make Weight fall down quicker is also a problem.

If i could suggest a few other things I feel it should be.

-Easier to make the Digimon become in a good mood. (As of writing My Digimon is in it's hurt sprite while the Icon on the energy screen is three elipses.)
-Make A food that Lowers weight but Lowers Discipline/Happyness
-Have the Digimon fall asleep with lights out faster or via a command.
and finally
-Have Hunger and Strength Deplete Slower or Not at all while sleeping.
- The Fresh Digimon also comes out Fatigued sometimes. I'm not sure which was intended. But if it was intended to come out Fatigued this hinders raising it's empty Strength hearts from the get go.
My Digimon's stats for reference

Update: He died again. And then there was a weird instance where the next baby died the second it hatched.

Last edited:

theundersigned

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This does sound like a problem. The Digimon being fatigued after hatching was something I thought I had fixed. Which version are you running? You can see the current version at the top of the change log txt file. I fixed the fatigue bug in the 3/2/18 version.

Also, dying very soon after hatching is definitely not right. I think I know what's causing it, though.

I'll get a new version out very soon with the fix to that, since it's pretty much game-breaking.

As for your suggestions, vitamins used to decrease weight. Maybe I can look into that again.

The mood/energy problem could have a couple different sources, which means the best solution could be different depending on what the issue is. Could you give me a sort of "blow-by-blow" description of how you usually start caring for the Digimon after it hatches? For example, to what point do you feed it, what do you feed it, how much do you train it, when do you put it to sleep, what's its energy look like at various times, does it become fatigued/injured/sick, etc. Anything you can think of that happens in the course of a game. This will give me a better idea on how to proceed with any changes.

Pepper Rocket

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Whoa, I can't believe I didn't see this until now. I'll try to test it out more later, but it's really impressive!

Would you be interested in the D-1 Grand Prix battle sound files? You look like you've got all you need sound-wise, but I hate stuff like that just sitting unused on my computer and it doesn't hurt to ask.

theundersigned

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm glad you're interested in trying it out!

I would be interested in those sound files, thanks! The next big feature I'm working on has to do with the battle system, so it might be nice adding in some variety.

JonicOokami7

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This does sound like a problem. The Digimon being fatigued after hatching was something I thought I had fixed. Which version are you running? You can see the current version at the top of the change log txt file. I fixed the fatigue bug in the 3/2/18 version.

Also, dying very soon after hatching is definitely not right. I think I know what's causing it, though.

I'll get a new version out very soon with the fix to that, since it's pretty much game-breaking.

As for your suggestions, vitamins used to decrease weight. Maybe I can look into that again.

The mood/energy problem could have a couple different sources, which means the best solution could be different depending on what the issue is. Could you give me a sort of "blow-by-blow" description of how you usually start caring for the Digimon after it hatches? For example, to what point do you feed it, what do you feed it, how much do you train it, when do you put it to sleep, what's its energy look like at various times, does it become fatigued/injured/sick, etc. Anything you can think of that happens in the course of a game. This will give me a better idea on how to proceed with any changes.
Well usually I play on 4X speed. As soon as the Digimon hatches I feed it and then train it.

after that I typically let it sit there until it needs anything next.

repeat cycle.

It's energy would be by a quarter when it goes to sleep normally. I tend to make it sleep as long as possible before it needs something (I.E feeding or training) so it's difficult for it's energy to become full again.

It rarely became sick but it did occasionally become Injured at uncommon occurances

ETA currently using the version where you added easier Egg modding. (2/28/18) Version1

Further note -
Currently using the newest version. And this is more of a complaint a friend of mine has about the Digimon refusing training too often.
Perhaps making the Digimon unable to refuse training will help?

I myself feel that 25 successful Training sessions is too much. especially with the limited energy and how easy it is to fail some of them.
perhaps a solid 10 successes would be easier?

Last edited:

theundersigned

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thank you for this! I just need to ask a few more questions to narrow down the root causes.

How many times do you train when it hatches? How many times do you typically train in a row? How long do you wait before training again? How often does it become fatigued? Do you train in its favorite attribute or in something else?

Similarly, how many times do you feed it when it hatches? How many times do you typically feed it in a row? How long do you wait before feeding again? Do you feed it its favorite food or something else? How many vitamins do you feed it in a day?

You mention that you let it sleep until it needs something. Is this after the Digimon falls asleep on its own, or do you usually put it to sleep yourself? Also, you can let it sleep for as long as you like without needing to care for it. If the call icon doesn't light up and it isn't beeping at you, the Digimon doesn't need care. Constantly waking it up will lower its mood and mess up its sleeping schedule (which is intentional). This could be one of the reasons you're having trouble with energy.

Refusing training is affected by enthusiasm and obedience most significantly, so if anyone has trouble training, it's possible that enthusiasm is too low. This value rises over time naturally, but you can also increase it yourself by feeding the Digimon fish or vitamins. Fish is recommended, though, because vitamins are best used sparingly.

If you train during the correct times, energy should actually seem almost limitless. If you train during the Digimon's favorite time of day, for example, there is a 50% chance of not losing any energy. If you train during clear weather, there is a 10% chance. So if you train during the Digimon's favorite time of day and the weather is clear, there is a 60% chance of not losing any energy. Over multiple training sessions, this effect is so strong that I've even considered nerfing it.

Could you explain a bit more about why you would prefer attribute power to be tracked by 10 instead of 25? Is it so you have a better idea of how close you are to certain evolution requirements?

JonicOokami7

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hmm... well off the top of my head I typically feed/train it to max hearts when it hatches. which is 3/4 times

And usually do the same every time it's hearts are empty. (on the hour Iirc).

On my recent attempt I have found energy alot more plentiful by rationing how much it eats and trains currently it's sleeping and has been for a while. it's weight has also been reasonable.

I often forget to use vitamins...
As for training I've been trying to figure out which attribute to train first for adventure mode. ATM it's data.
I suggest 10 mostly because it's an easier number to keep track of yes. but it's also quicker for players who wish to jump into adventure mode. as the enemy Digimon are too fast and hit hard without it.

theundersigned

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Okay. Thanks for replying so quickly! There are just so many moving parts to the program it takes me a while to figure out what to tweak and how much to tweak.

Let me know how your current attempt goes. Vitamins aren't a huge deal to forget about. They're mostly good for security against injury. If your Digimon is under or overweight or if it trains in the attribute it's opposed to (the typical Virus beats Data beats Vaccine beats Virus), the chance of injury goes up. But if you feed a vitamin beforehand, the chance of injury goes down a lot and the effect lasts for as long as the icon is on the lower right side of the screen.

I think what I'll do is change the menu to track in multiples of 10 and keep the attack sprite changing every 25. That way I won't have to worry about making double the amount of attack sprites. I think I'll probably remove the max on the display as well. But changing it to 10 instead of 25 won't change anything in battle. The 10 or 25 mark is just for display purposes. A Digimon's attribute power goes up by one or two each successful training.

If you're starting out battling in adventure please remember to let me know how it goes. I haven't received any feedback on the entire system yet, so I'm anxious to fix anything that breaks or turns out imbalanced. For example, toning down the power of enemies - their attributes and HP as well. Ever since I changed HP to be accumulated by winning battles, I've been thinking I need to cut down the HP of enemies again. Data as well was buffed at some point because I felt it was too weak. If it turns out I overbuffed it, I need to try to rebalance the three attributes more evenly.

theundersigned

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Would you send me that save file? My email is in the changelog.txt file in the game's folder.

JonicOokami7

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's currently in the Fresh stage again so it might be a bit lost but I have sent you an email with the relevant files.

theundersigned

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I tested what you gave me and was able to get to the champion stage without any trouble. That doesn't rule out every bug, but at the very least I know it probably isn't a problem with my program integrating user mods. So that's a relief.

But it does mean I'll have to search elsewhere for the problem. To that end, do you remember about how many times you fed vitamins or how many times the Digimon became injured, sick, or fatigued? Also, do you know how many times, if any, you overfed the Digimon? (feeding until the Digimon runs its angry animation, not the refuse animation) Did you have any care mistakes? (the call icon lights up and beeps for 10 minutes, after which the sound stops, but the icon stays - this indicates 1 care mistake)

JonicOokami7

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Lets see... If I can recall. I only fed my Digimon at least 3 or 4 Vitamins in its span. With it getting Injured at least twice. No fatigues or sickness this run as I kept it's energy very high and trained sparingly. As for Over feeding it' usually refused food rather then got angry as you can see in the previously shared pictures. It's weight was bordering 30 pounds. No care mistakes to my knowledge.

I have wondered if it's something to do with the Evolution requirements and that my Digimon dies because it did not meet the evoloution requirements. Which shouldnt be the case as ChibiLupemon onwards has no Evolution Requirements and should automatically evolve into the next form. Perhaps maybe I am supposed to use the Direct Parent part of the file?

Last edited:

theundersigned

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well, I actually played using the files you sent me without making a new save file, and I reached the champion stage with no problems, so it can't be an issue with the evolution requirements.

You are getting injured more than normal, though, so that's fairly strange. Are you training/battling while overweight or underweight without a vitamin?

The weird thing is that you should have 6 days max of life at rookie stage (not counting any bonus life), but you're dying at 3. Based on what you told me and assuming a worse case scenario, you should only be losing around 18 hours (3 days unhappy if committing lesser care mistakes) + 12 hours (2 injuries) + 4 hours (vitamins) = 34 hours, or about 1 1/2 days, which should still give you plenty of time to reach the age of 4 to evolve.

Somehow, you're losing an extra 14+ hours, but I'm not sure where it's coming from. You can't be losing more hours due to unhappiness because you're not older than 3. You probably didn't feed the Digimon 14 more vitamins than you remember. And you never made a hunger care mistake.

Did you feed the Digimon a vitamin while there was already a vitamin in effect? Or did you train a lot while injured without feeding a vitamin beforehand?

JonicOokami7

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I assume overweight would be the cause of him getting injured more. (though I don't know what would be considered Overweight)
Also I never fed a vitamin when it was in effect even by accident (the digimon would refuse if i did so) I do tend to forget to give him a vit before training like i said before.

I might be able to get a better estimate if I could turn the Debug status feature back on (should it still exist)

Last edited:

theundersigned

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Unfortunately, the debug menu only tracks the values of variables. For example, even if you do make a care mistake, lifespan only decreases if it's a care mistake from hunger being at 0. The debug menu will display 1 care mistake, but it won't be able to tell you where it came from. I would have to expand quite a bit on the menu in order to add that functionality.

But even without a vitamin, if you train/battle when healthy, injury is only a .1% chance. That chance increases if over or underweight (indicated by the scale tilting to the left for underweight or the right for overweight) and decreases a good deal if you feed a vitamin while over or underweight. In terms of numbers, overweight is 1.5 times the weight the Digimon starts with, and underweight is .5 times the weight the Digimon starts with.