I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

DVPet Alpha

Download here: DVpet Alpha
Guide

About the Game

DVPet
is a Java fan-game application for the PC based on the original Digimon V-Pets and Digimon World games. It is a pet simulator, designed to emulate the look and feel of the original Digimon vpets with a greater emphasis on pet raising mechanics. Raise over 800 different Digimon from an egg to a Super Ultimate in real time or in accelerated time. Battle with others online to test your strength.

Alpha Testers

Visit the Guide link for more information about raising your Digimon and about joining the game's official Discord. I moved the guide to this wiki to reduce the amount of work it took to maintain. Plus, it's easier to format there and other people can contribute if they feel like it.

My goal is to make a game easy enough to interpret without a guide. Let me know how I can improve on that either in this thread or in the Discord.

Other testing tips:

If you want to wipe the evolution tree so that you can unlock everything yourself, just go into the files folder and delete the "tree" file.

If you'd like help testing, you can open the debug menu by pressing the following keys from the start menu:

Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B

While the debug menu is in focus use the , key to go "back" in time and the . key to go forward.

If you come across an error, check the errorlogs.txt file in DVPet/files for errors and send me its contents in an email or private message.

Credits

Specific credits for most of the Digimon sprites and sounds are in a README file bundled up with the program itself. But, in short, the transcription/creation of most sprites and sounds are credited to PepperRocket, SydMontague, BladeSabre, Da_Duke2000, Low Lines, Gouitsu, Monterrio Ashmore, "Z," and the artists from Digimon Unlimited. You guys made my life a heck of a lot easier!

Disclaimer

This game started out as a way to become more familiar with Java. Although it's expanded well beyond this original goal, I still consider the project's purpose largely academic. It's not my intention to make a "product."

Known Issues
These are the bugs I'm aware of and may need more information in order to track down. Most of the time, this means I haven't found a way to reproduce them yet, so any help would be greatly appreciated. If you encounter any of these bugs, please send me a description of what was happening when the bug occurred.

*Sometimes after rapid feeding and animation skipping the food menu won't display some/any buttons
*Sometimes the enemy sprite is invisible
*Sometimes food looks like a vitamin
*Sometimes artifacts appear
*Sometimes the egg skips hatching - the fastest clock speed may play a role (until I figure out the cause, if this happens open debug menu and go back in time)
*Sometimes the ip text field is limited to 7 characters

Development Plan

ALPHA
  • Feature complete
  • Game content (Digimon, items, maps)
BETA
  • Game stability and polish
  • Game content (Digimon, items, maps)
  • Android version
POST-BETA
  • Finalized game guide
  • Online server
  • Dev tools
Newest Changes

5/31/20 (Version 1):

*Fixed a bug that would sometimes occur after your opponent surrendered and you fought a battle in an adventure map
*Refined AI attack choice
*Fixed a bug where some attack sprites wouldn't account for attribute power changes in battle

5/27/20:

*Fixed a bug where attribute values could fall below 0 if a weakened consumable that reduces an attribute is applied

5/26/20:

*Fixed a parse error in the config file

*Using a heart recovery item after the Digimon refuses will no longer weaken its effects

5/25/20:

*Fixed a bug where jogressing wouldn't work with java version 1.8.0_251

*Fixed a bug where the Digimon would appear to continue walking despite having 0 energy

5/9/20:

*Replaced Baalmon's MagnaAngemon evolution with Seraphimon
*Cleaned up PileVolcamon's sprite
*Loading an old save file without a checksum now correctly registers as having modified the game since it was last loaded

5/6/20:

*Fixed a bug where non-jogress Digimon could be included in the list of valid evolutions for jogress
*Cleaned up some sprites
*Hid poop when lights are off

(Tournament Version):

*Changed the default shell to a tournament version made by Eiji

5/5/20:

*Fixed WereGarurumon and Kuwagamon's sprites
*Practice battles will now increase strength normally
*Decreased the chances of getting bonus energy from 1/10 to 1/20
*Evolutions should now be more likely to prefer those with more requirements

*Fixed a bug where energy could increase twice from training during the Digimon's favorite time
*Returned the bonus energy chance to 1/10

*Made the main window background transparent
*Jogresses are now determined by the host Digimon
*Touched up some sprites

5/4/20:

*Fixed a rounding issue with the tired icon

5/3/20:

*Caught error when the main view is invisible
*Caught error when the interactive buttons are cleared in the middle of an iteration
*Streamlined sound object and keyboard cursor
*Added the ability to replace the font in the mod folder

5/2/20:

*Battles now decrease energy by 1 additional point in every circumstance
*The chance to prevent energy from decreasing now applies whenever energy decreases (and the original prequisites are met). Energy now decreases 1 less instead of not decreasing at all
*Added a mods folder. Files in this folder will replace the default sounds and images of the same name

(Tournament Version)

*Fixed a bug preventing the checksum from generating when the folder name contains a space character

5/1/20:

*Caught error thrown by an empty interactive button array, causing certain interactions to malfunction or cause artifacts
*Fixed an out of bounds exception when printing the checksum to the battle log

(Tournament Version)

*Added checksum that is generated when a new file is started
*Now displays checksum to the battle log file
*Updated menu sprites with Eiji's tournament versions
*Unencrypted files can no longer be loaded

4/29/20 (Version 1):

*Fixed a bug where dodging/blocking an attack would prevent the Digimon from remembering whether it did any damage that turn
*Displayed messages when trying to perform certain actions outside of home/town

4/25/20:

*Caught errors occurring after the keyboard cursor is disposed

4/24/20:

*Fixed a bug causing the day's temp to be set along an incorrect range

4/20/20:

*Fixed a bug causing high inheritance numbers to cast improperly
*Fixed alignment of trophy in end of tournament animation at higher scales

4/18/20:

*Fixed a bug where the text field would sometimes appear over the shell
*Realigned digimental icon in item detail menu
*Added a battle log that records the information of the most recent Digimon battled

*Reduced the life penalty of sickness/injury to 3 hours
*Sickness/Injury length is now reduced twice every hour
*Reduced the overall length of sickness/injury
*Increased weight loss/gain penalty of sickness/injury respectively

4/16/20:

*Fixed a bug causing the attacking animation to reset when pressing the select button
*Fatigue now has a 60% chance of occurring at the strength limit
*Fatigue now only causes a care mistake if the Digimon isn't fatigued at the time

4/15/20:

*Fixed a bug causing the game to freeze or malfunction when battling an opponent that doesn't drop items
*Fixed a bug where sometimes the text field limit wouldn't increase to 15 after loading or starting a new game

*Fixed a bug where failed evolutions would have a jogress or other evolution icon next to their names in the evolution tree

4/14/20:

*Click and drag anywhere on the temperature screen to change temperature
*When changing temperature, it will now start at the last temperature goal set
*Enemies now have the option to drop an item randomly from a given range in the config file
*Zones can now have more than 1 town
*Realigned item in unlocking animation
*The Evolution Tree, settings, and status menu can now be accessed while the game is paused

4/13/20:

*Caught errors caused by the sound driver, sometimes preventing the game from responding

*Rebalanced audio

*Rerebalanced audio

4/10/20:

*Fixed a bug where mood, enthusiasm, or obedience would change depending on disposition even if the food/item didn't affect mood, enthusiasm, or obedience

*Caught errors thrown by the keyboard cursor

4/9/20:

*Fixed a bug causing multi battles to malfunction after connecting to a host
*Fixed Chuchumon's sprite
*Added keyboard functionality to the start of battle, jogress, and Digimon attention request animations

*Fixed a bug preventing Digimon from having max HP of 30 at age 13
*Fixed a bug causing messages to flicker

4/6/20:

*Fixed a bug preventing the sacrifice health condition from functioning

4/4/20:

*Fixed Ignitemon's evolutions
*Lowered volume of program
*Added master volume, music volume, and effect volume settings to the config file

4/2/20:

*Rebalanced some foods
*Reduced the amount of stat gain from winning a battle against opponents with 100 attribute power or greater
*Updated algorithm for determining attribute power of random tournament enemies
*Slightly increased the chance of encounters while running

Thank you for considering testing this game! If you have any questions or suggestions, please let me know. I want to make this game a fun and rewarding experience, so please share with me any ideas or criticism you have. I won't know what to improve otherwise.

Last edited:

Superfriedpancake

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Okay so I really like the concept of this but if the baby stage is the most obedient then I'd hate to see what the other stages are like because they say no to just about everything right off the bat. In fact, I started a game where the baby stage just kept saying no so I just made a new save instead. It's pretty vague at that too. I wasn't even sure how to get to the praise/scold feature at first and it's not really clear on when I should be using it. So it ends up with my digimon more frustrated than anything and me being unable to turn the mood around. It's actually extremely annoying. Even the friend I showed this to has been quite annoyed by that feature as well. Honestly if there's any feature I could do without this one would have to be the one. That or it seriously needs extreme adjustments. It's the only awful part of this game in my opinion. I just can't stay to invested for too long and it's truly a shame because it's clear you've put a lot of work into it and I really want to enjoy it but as it stands I can't say that I am going to.

I really, really hope this gets adjusted. I really want to enjoy this game.

JonicOokami7

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm having the same problem as the above poster. I love the idea of this and have wanted a chance to experience the Digimon Virtual Pet for a long time and by jove i would love to see this thing get a lot more love and popularity. Like pancake said the Baby/Fresh stage is constantly refusing to do anything requiring me to scold it every time i need to feed it or train it. I felt that this is very important to relay to you in order to improve this love crafted concept.

ETA:
If you could get this to somehow work with Android or something this would be doubly awesome

PS: How do you make your Digimon lose weight?

Also: Maybe they App still updating whilst accounting with the internal clock whilst off might be a bad idea considering that there is no way guarantiing weather the user would be at the computer all times. Perhaps on a phone port it would work but on a PC itself it might not be a good idea.

Last edited:

theundersigned

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thank you both for the feedback! I've known for awhile now that the numbers are probably off, but I was waiting for specific feedback before I made any adjustments. I deliberately overtuned things to start with, developing everything more on the difficult side so that I could scale things back later after getting some feedback. I hope to make things easy enough to be enjoyable, but not so easy that the feature is rendered pointless.

To that end, I think it would be a shame to get rid of the praise/scold feature entirely. I want to make a vpet that places more emphasis on simulation, and real pets won't always agree with what you tell them. The issue here is going to be how to strike the right balance between realism and fun.

I wanted to try to make the praise/scold system logically understandable, so you scold when your Digimon does something you don't want it to do (like refuse) and praise as a reward (when it does what you want after scolding or when it trains successfully/wins a battle). Please let me know if you have any ideas as to how to make this clearer.

Currently, the vpet can refuse food, treatment, training, and battles. All refusal first and foremost depends on how obedient the Digimon is, but this chance can be modified based on mood, enthusiasm, disposition, and hunger as well.

For food and training, your Digimon is less likely to refuse its favorite.

The chance of refusing food is further modified by whether the Digimon's hunger hearts are full. If the Digimon has greater than 4 hunger, the likelihood of it refusing more food increases.

The chance of refusing training is modified by how much the Digimon has trained recently, tracked by its enthusiasm variable. The lower the enthusiasm, the more likely the Digimon will refuse training. Over time, this value increases until it reaches the max 10, but it can also increase by feeding it fish. The only way in-game to see the enthusiasm variable is by monitoring the Digimon's on-screen movement and guestimating its value.

For both training and feeding, the idea was to go through some brief trial and error to determine what your Digimon prefers and then stick with that until its obedience is high enough to do something different. This is the main purpose of the baby stage: to become familiar with the Digimon's tastes.

Over the course of my personal testing, I've tweaked the numbers to make hunger, enthusiasm, and mood more impactful. The result was surprisingly significant, so I can try tweaking these numbers more to make caring for the Digimon easier.

To have a better idea of what I need to change, however, I need a better idea of how you've been raising the Digimon. A lot of the vpet involves letting your Digimon idle for extended periods of time as there are a lot of checks/penalties on over-training. To tweak these penalties and to have a better idea of how the game "feels" to play, I need a bit more information.

Does it feel responsive enough to its favorites? How impactful does it seem its mood and enthusiasm have been? How much are you feeding it? How much are you training it? How much training are you doing in a row? How low/high has its mood/obedience gotten? What's the oldest your Digimon has become (in terms of its lapsed life on the debug menu)?

To give you an idea of what to expect later in-game, this is a photo of the two Digimon I've been raising for the last couple days (The one on the right is on its second egg):

And after just 5.6 hours of gameplay (fast clock) and about 34 minutes of real life time, their mood and obedience are both high:

To address JonicOokami7's specific post:

PS: How do you make your Digimon lose weight?

Also: Maybe they App still updating whilst accounting with the internal clock whilst off might be a bad idea considering that there is no way guarantiing weather the user would be at the computer all times. Perhaps on a phone port it would work but on a PC itself it might not be a good idea.
What's your Digimon's weight? What have you tried so far? Have you updated the program recently?

The main way to lose weight is by training/battling. If your energy has been exhausted, you can increase its energy by feeding it a vitamin or turning the lights off and waiting for it to fall asleep. Alternatively, you can take the preventative approach and ration out its food or keep the hunger hearts at only 1.

These are the ways I've been able to successfully maintain its weight, although being the developer, I have a better idea of how all the numbers work. If you have any suggestions about how to make losing weight easier, be sure to let me know.

The main reason I have the clock "running" while the game is off was specifically made with the PC in mind. I was frustrated with other vpets I played that ran in real time because I would only have it on for a couple hours at a time, which made my progress extremely slow. Plus, I was annoyed that the clock would always be off. By making the game play catch up when you turn it on, I wanted to solve those frustrations.

If the issue is that the user isn't using the PC frequently enough to care for the Digimon, then that's the reason I created the "fast clock" option. Each minute is equal to 6 real world seconds, and it doesn't play catch up each time you turn it on. Plus you can pause it. This feature seems to cater best to those users who can't use their PC frequently.

[HR][/HR]EDIT: proposed equation change

This is the equation for refusing food or training:
(where r is a random number between 0 and 99; if r is less than or equal to the equation's solution, then your Digimon will refuse)

Food (when not favorite or hunger > 4; if the food is favorite and hunger <= 4, then always accept food):

r <= 81 - obedience - (mood / 15)

Training (where timeMod is equal to 10 if you're training during its favorite time of day; favorite training is always accepted if enthusiasm > 0):

r + (enthusiasm * 6) + timeMod <= 81 - obedience - (mood / 15)

This new equation is based on the most obedience and the least mood. The goal is to have these circumstances generate 2% chance of refusal.

i.e., r <= 81 - 100 - (-300/15)
r <= -19 - (-20)
r <= 1

Last edited:

JustInuYasha

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've been playing this for a few days now. This is a new account I made here and I've never followed any of this guy's work before but I've been in constant communication with him since I saw his post on reddit the day he posted this guide.

I was shocked at how much work and detail has gone into this project and it just appeared out of nowhere.
I've enjoyed it so far, I've reported a small number of bugs and issues that have already been addressed. The creator has quite a nice vision for this game and I'm very enthusiastic to find a way to help him finish development and push this into the App world and onto android devices.

I'm looking to help him start spreading the word about his app and get more fans interested. This program is incredibly promising and I'd love to see it progress but we need more eyes/hands looking for bugs and glitches.
Also, I know this guy seems sketchy coming out of nowhere on the forums and mediums he's using but I vouch that this app is legit. It feels like a fully functional virtual pet with lots of evolution paths.

Maybe we can all get a friend or two to try raising a few digimon, then listen to their complaints and list them out here so the Dev can address them.
Thanks for reading

Last edited:

Superfriedpancake

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm gonna be completely honest here. I stopped playing very soon after I started. I can understand you wanting to put some difficulty in the game somehow. But whenever my friend and I did training would refuse training of any kind after doing it the first time. So I'm gonna be honest here and say that this is exactly what you don't want to do to a new player who is trying to learn the mechanics of a game. I can't easily learn how to do the training sessions properly if it keeps refusing me all the time. This in turn makes it frustrating and also unplayable. You can go over the mechanics or your reasoning but you don;t want to introduce that level of difficulty right away with anything. You've gotta ease into it.

Even so I'm unsure if I want to pick it up again even if it gets properly addressed. I just don't really like the idea of an adult refusing me all the time. Maybe its the high number of times the baby stage just refused anything I tried doing that put me off so badly.

Maybe I'll give it another go if you've updated it since the last time.

theundersigned

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I appreciate the time you've put into this, no matter how little. But what I honestly need here are testers interested in helping me make the game fun. This goes beyond the refusal mechanic. I need impressions and suggestions for evolution requirements, battle mechanics, and the fatigue/sick/injury mechanics.

I believe it's reasonable to take for granted that an alpha version won't necessarily be fun due to tuning issues. However, I need the assistance of others to make things better and eventually push this into a beta version that can be legitimately fun. The only way to do that is for me to explain in a way other people can understand both my reasons behind the mechanic and how the mechanic works. This will allow for more precise and informed feedback, as well as opinions on how I can more faithfully recreate the original concept in game form. In this way, I can modify my original rationale and improve the overall experience.

Testers can help me make the game fun in the future. I try to make it fun by myself without the assistance, but I can only work off of what I consider fun. And what I consider fun is not what 99% of the population would necessarily consider fun.

Currently some of the feedback I've received has been too sparse for me to make much use of. I need more details in order to more finely tune the mechanic in such a way that it is both relevant and not unfun. For example, I need data as well as specific impressions. I need to know specifically when the Digimon refuses, how often, what is done in an attempt to prevent it, the obedience/mood levels at the time of refusal, and the numbers for many of the variables that can be found on that debug menu popup. In addition, I need to know specific changes that testers feel would make the game better. For example, "I think it would be better if Digimon had a x% chance to refuse at y obedience." Or, "I don't think mood should affect refusal chance because x."

I understand that you're no longer interested in playing the game, so these petitions don't necessarily apply to you, but I hope you forgive the failings of an alpha game that is still in need of some TLC.

Last edited:

Viktor

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've been playing this since yesterday (despite already running four physical v-pets... I have no self control) and I'm loving it. I can't believe it's only alpha, it feels pretty much complete to me, so I'm pumped to see what else can be improved in it in the future!
It is true that constant lack of obedience is fairly annoying, but it's no big deal once you realize that you really just gotta scold the little rascal every time it doesn't want to do anything and it's alright. I really like how it looks as a desktop toy and how versatile it is, I sure wouldn't mind if that's what the 20th anniversary v-pet looked like, versus what we got (and I love the anniversary pet, mind you.)
Personally I would be really interested in an item shop- I know there's a card shop in the works, but being aple to buy power ups could be neat.
As for obedience improvements, I think it could be nice if perhaps certain Digimon were more inherently obedient than others- either Digimon by Digimon or just going generally by their attributes, virus being the least obedient. (Unless that's how it already is?)

Last edited:

theundersigned

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm glad you're enjoying it!

It's nice that you think it's pretty much complete too. There's really only a couple features left to add before I'll consider it in "beta." At which point, I pretty much want to focus on quality of life features, balance of game mechanics, general polish, and aesthetics. Plus continuing to add individual new adventure maps, battle cards, tournaments, and any new Digimon that I can get my hands on.

I'm still looking to refine my obedience system, so if you have any ideas be sure to let me know! I've considered a couple solutions, but I'm still evaluating the core issue. For example, I'm wondering if building up obedience isn't as rewarding as it should be. It's possible that there are so many factors affecting whether the Digimon refuses that it makes obedience feel too useless.

In that case, I was considering trying to shave away the weight other variables have on the refusal equation to make obedience more prominent. I'm not sure which variables to go after, though, and I don't want to completely butcher the mechanic. To that end, when is the Digimon refusing more than you feel makes sense? For example, when eating or when training? Or does it feel pretty much the same? It's possible that mood carries far too much weight in affecting the refusal chance also, so if they feel pretty much the same I'll look into variables those activities both share.

I like your idea where some Digimon would be more obedient than others. Currently, that is something like how it works, but it's based on personality. The word in the menu that shows you what your Digimon's favorites are describes one of 27 different personalities, which are based on disposition, appetite, and activity level. Disposition is what affects obedience the most, and there are three dispositions a Digimon can have: positive, neutral, or negative. Positive Digimon take a lot longer to become obedient than negative Digimon, but their mood increases much more quickly. On the other hand, negative Digimon increase their mood a lot more slowly, but they become obedient more quickly and also are less likely to refuse battles.

I like your idea for an item shop! What kind of power ups were you thinking? The card shop is going to essentially be trading card-esque items to use in battle, but looking at other Digimon products or monster raising sims, there are a lot of other item possibilities to consider. For example, items or special food that increase stats, obedience, or mood. Maybe a special food that increases a Digimon's enthusiasm for training to the max? Or even a rare, expensive item that fills out the evolutionary requirements for a certain Digimon. Let me know if you have any thoughts!

JonicOokami7

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Came back to this after a while to see how it's gone along. Safe to say I've found little issue with the Pet since I got the newest version. Any problems I have come across Is due to my inexperiance with Digimon's Virtual Pet. (I.E Sickness and Injury handling) When I found out this was moddable I didn't hesitate to get started adding my own line/skin/shell etc. Of course. I did have to remove a few Digimon to fit them in...

ETA: I've found one issue that the status window doesn't pop up for me when the app starts. I'm not sure if it's been relegated to a new command for opening it or i need to configure something to make it appear.

Last edited:

Viktor

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Sorry for late reply, I don't check the forums that often!
Hmm, I feel like the Digimon refuses food a bit too often. I understand if it didn't refuse food it likes and had one food it hates which it would refuse way more often, but constantly refusing other foods can be a pain, especially since it's such a basic functionality of a virtual pet! I think toning that one down would be beneficial. Refusing to take protein is okay, nobody likes to take pills lol, and refusing to train is also okay since it's pretty taxing, though it could happen a bit less often if possible. And I haven't personally noticed the Digimon becoming any more obedient that much after being liberal with scolding and praising it in appropriate times, so I think making it a bit more visible/rewarding could be an improvement.

As for an item shop, I'm just still more experienced with Tamagotchis rather than Digimon, and when it comes to Tamagotchi models I tend to like I just love all the versions that have an item shop of some sort. Saving up for that one item you want is super rewarding, and I think in Digimon it would make sense to make some sort of a "shop" with some evolutionary items, like the Armor Eggs from 02, or perhaps even the Crests from Adventure.

theundersigned

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Came back to this after a while to see how it's gone along. Safe to say I've found little issue with the Pet since I got the newest version. Any problems I have come across Is due to my inexperiance with Digimon's Virtual Pet. (I.E Sickness and Injury handling) When I found out this was moddable I didn't hesitate to get started adding my own line/skin/shell etc. Of course. I did have to remove a few Digimon to fit them in...
Ooh nice! I think you're the first person to try modding this so that makes me happy :]

I tried to make it so you could just add new Digimon in addition to the ones already in-game. The only issue would be when trying to add new eggs, since those are hard-coded in. But in terms of every other evolutionary stage, provided you follow the naming and template conventions, there would hopefully be no trouble in expanding on what I've made so far.

Let me know if you have trouble with any of the modding. The nice thing is that I essentially do the exact same thing whenever I add new characters, so it's in my own best interest to make it as bug-free, dynamic, and easy as possible.

JonicOokami7

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well. I have recently discovered that the window that has all the stats and details in it isnt showing when I start the app. I'm not sure if Its an issue with the app itself or There is a new command to alternate it to be shown.

Otherwise besides a few instances where The app wouldn't display the new Digimon I added. (possibly because I accidentally created contradictions with the requirements to Evo. ) Modding was a success. At the cost of the following Digimon. I.E Choromon, Kapurimon, SnowGoburimon, Rukamon, BigMamemon and PlatinumNumemon.

ETA: Perhaps you could add a 12th egg for the sole purpose of being modded. I'm not sure how easy that would be though.

Last edited:

theundersigned

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I removed the debug menu to test out some of the variables I changed that affect how your Digimon behaves while walking on screen. I was concerned I wouldn't be able to test these accurately if I left the "cheat sheet" in the program.

I just added the ability to more easily add custom eggs to the game, so I hope you get the chance to try it out!

All you have to do is stick a new egg on the end of the eggs in the eggs.png file, making sure to follow the dimensions and margins of all the other eggs (note that this is the only sprite sheet this will work with - you still have to create a new png file for the others). You can add a new background image as well. It just has to be called egg[EggType divided by 3]Back.png, where EggType is the same as the EggType in the csv file.

Let me know if you have any problems.

Last edited:

JonicOokami7

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'll give it a chance when I next can. Also. This is more so a question rather then reporting an issue. But how do you know your Digimon's Training levels are slowly raising? I've tried the Vaccine Training like... 20 times and It's still level 0

theundersigned

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The level goes up every 25 training, so 5 more and you should be able to see it. It's essentially just an easier check than looking at the Digimon's attack sprite, which also changes sprites every 25 training. That was how I originally hinted at the Digimon's current power levels, but it was hard to remember which sprites represented which level, so I added an extra menu that tracked them numerically.

JonicOokami7

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The graphics are currently in the newest version of the App. My problem now is currently understanding about how Sprite sets and which one is under which number.

See attached.

Last edited:

theundersigned

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The NewSpriteNum variable denotes where your new sprites are located in the sprite set of a record.

For example, your Champion sprite (Canidramon) would have NewSpriteSet 11 because it is in the spritesChampion11.png file and NewSpriteNum 55 since the first sprite for your new character is the 55th sprite, or the column the Digimon's sprite is in with a 0 index (5) * the number of rows (11).

All other stages function the same way. ChibiLupemon, then, would have NewSpriteSet 1 and NewSpriteNum 44. Lupemon would have NewSpriteSet 6 and NewSpriteNum 55. ArmedCanidramon would have NewSpriteSet 9 and NewSpriteNum 22. And finally, MightyCanidramon would have NewSpriteSet 10 and NewSpriteNum 88.

Eggs are a little different, but you only have to add in values for your new Fresh character and the program will take care of the rest. For example, EggType would be 36 for your new Fresh Digimon (Tinichimon) because the egg it hatches from is the 36th sprite in the eggs.png spritesheet file, or the egg's column (12) * the number of rows (3). Separately, Tinichimon's NewSpriteSet would be 1 and its NewSpriteNum would be 11.

Hope this helped!

Last edited:

JonicOokami7

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Well. The egg bit works until when it hatches. When it does it turns right back to an Egg. I've been going over the Parents and Evolutions files several times to see if I maybe made a miscalcutlation somewhere.

theundersigned

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think what you're missing is changing the Digitama's ParentsLength variable to 13 instead of 12 at the top of the evolutions.csv file because it can hatch into 13 different Digimon now. Since the generic entity "Digitama" is still treated like a Digimon, it has a fixed number of "parents" or rather evolutions it can "evolve" (hatch) into just like any other Digimon in the list.

Last edited: