Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Confirming rumors from yesterday, the new V-Jump has indeed announced a new piece of the Digimon franchise.

Image Thumbnail

The full title seems to be Digimon Universe: App Monsters

The page is a basic one page sheet with various bits of teaser type information.

It mentions the various companies involved as Bandai, Bandai Namco Entertainment, and Toei Animation. From the way they list them it appears this is a collaboration between the three.

It also mentions there will be more news at the upcoming Tokyo Toy Show on June 9th.

They refer to it being a 'monster' sized project to launch fall 2016, with 'hobby' products (toys and so forth), a game, and a TV anime.

At the bottom of the sheet is an image of what appears to be a new Digimon, who we can probably assume is central to this new 'Universe' part of the franchise.

Aside from this Digimon, the only other thing in regards to the new project we can see on the image is 7 phone application style icons. Most of them seem to be styled to look like specific phone applications. The primary one shown appears to be a magnifying glass (which the new Digimon also has a magnifying glass near his head.)

More information to come soon, along with a proper translation of everything on the one sheet.

Thanks to Takao for originally bringing this to our attention and to white4517 for posting the image.

Edit- Earlier the title was given as Digimon Universe: App Monsters. After various people checked it, they say it's Applimonsters. Others still say App Monsters. I'm sure in the morning we will see translations from onkei, shin, and rach, and likely go with what they say it is.

Update- Toei has put up a teaser webpage with a very clean alternate version of the teaser image.

Image Thumbnail

Also, here is a clean version of the promo image...

Image Thumbnail

Along with a clean version of the logo....

Image Thumbnail

Also, leaving the V-Jump photo above, but Toei has put up a nice version of that same one sheet.

Image Thumbnail

Update 2- Bandai and Bandai-Namco have also put up teaser pages.

Image Thumbnail

The background on Bandai's page appears to show a few new Digimon (I don't THINK any of these are pre-existing but I could be wrong.) The small image towards the center is definitely our new Digimon from the teaser one sheet.

Update 3- Here is Toei's formal press release.

A basic translation of the only new bit from the press release...

The key is the smartphone applications used by everyone around the world. Within these apps lurk artificial intelligence lifeforms called App Monsters, also known by the shortened name: Appmons. These monsters only exist for the number of apps that exist.
There is also a mention of a digital card game, and that other 'cross-media' projects will be coming.

Shadious

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thankfully this is both finally and officially confirmed. I look forward on June 9th, on how will this project shape up especially with the prospect of the TV anime.

Last edited:

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Like I mention in the news post...

The app icons seem to be, in order...

A magnifying glass, what appears to be a Digimon's eye, a music app, a map app, a glove with something to signify action, a clock, and what I assume to be a camera.

So it appears that, combined with the 'App Monsters' subtitle, they want us to be thinking about smartphones.

B-mon

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The new Digimon reminds me a lot of Caprimon/Kapurimon. The color scheme and the magnifying glass... perhaps it's a Baby II form of Hackmon? One magnifying "lens" to compliment Hackmon wearing full-on goggles?

Vande

V-Tamer Vande
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ahh I needed some good news and new anime fits the bill nicely. With Tri not being finished I am somewhat surprised to get news of a new show. Now we wait in true fandom style for more info.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This thread is only for discussing Digimon Universe.

Since various people want to discuss the 15th Anniversary D-Ark, a thread has been made despite us not having a good picture.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The title and some minor bits have been fixed and updated in the news post.

jeffinitelyjeff

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
To clarify, the Japanese text used for the title is アプリモンスターズ (apurimonsutaazu), which is why people are apparently saying that it's saying "Applimonsters". But the Japanese word for "app" or "application" is アプリ (apuri), so the Japanese title is just saying "App Monsters". Obviously how we should be referring to it in English will be unclear until any kind of English name is announced, but I think "Applimonsters" is silly. Since the Japanese title is just two words next to each other and is not intending for a cute name hybrid, I think it's misguided for us to not to translate one of the words and make a cute hybrid in English.

EDIT: Did some googling to see if there was any precedent for this. I searched for names using アプリ followed by more katakana. I found 3 results, 2 of which only used "App" in English, and one which did do a similar "Appli~" approach.

- アプリゲット (apurigetto) uses "App Get" (appget.com)
- アプリマーケティング研究所 (apurimaaketingu kenkyuusho) uses "App Marketing" (appmarketinglabo.net)
- アプリソムリエ (apurisomurie) uses "appsomm" for its domain name, but has "APPLISOMMELIER" in a logo (appsomm.jp)

Last edited:

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
To clarify, the Japanese text used for the title is アプリモンスターズ (apurimonsutaazu), which is why people are apparently saying that it's saying "Applimonsters". But the Japanese word for "app" or "application" is アプリ (apuri), so the Japanese title is just saying "App Monsters". Obviously how we should be referring to it in English will be unclear until any kind of English name is announced, but I think "Applimonsters" is silly. Since the Japanese title is just two words next to each other and is not intending for a cute name hybrid, I think it's misguided for us to not to translate one of the words and make a cute hybrid in English.
I would agree.

The 2 people I have awake who understand Japanese are saying it's Applimonsters (I believe touya also used this spelling when it was still a rumor.)

2 others who are better translators are currently asleep. For now I'll simply change it to say there is a disagreement on it.

After your edit, I think we can agree the best thing is just to call it Digimon Universe whenever possible.

Since somehow knowing Toei and Bandai they'll switch between App Monsters and Applimonsters at random in English themselves...

I prefer App Monsters personally...

Hopefully when shin and onkei are awake they just both agree on a term and we can all use that.

Seymour Butz

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
With a May announcement I’m guessing they plan on a July or August premiere. ×ros Wars premiered in mid-July and its first info dump came in late April, with leaks appearing early that month.

With Tri not being finished I am somewhat surprised to get news of a new show.
Not really that surprising. Even a serialised OVA occupies a pretty different marketing niche from a weekly show. In fact they’ll almost certainly be used to market each other.

saifors

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
At first I thought it may be Hackmon wearing the hoodie like in tri. but he seems to have a different nose.
I feel like the magnifying glass might indicate something detective-like, there was an interview at some point were they discussed a Cyber Sleuth anime due to it's popularity, the fact that the icon with the magnifying glass is bigger than others makes it even more likely.
I was hoping for maybe a bit more but it's something.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I suspect it has more to do with seeing or scanning data honestly. In the context of an app and data, thats what the magnifying glass tends to represent.

Perhaps a new version of a Digimon Analyzer... Or a way to see hiding Digimon.

To sleep I go.

Abysswalker90

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
They make it seem as if it's a new franchise under the Digimon flag. Instead of Digital Monster, it's Application Monster.
I wonder if it's a spin off, or just a new gimmick.

Velocifaptor

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'd say it's Digimon in today's culture and world, where almost everyone has a multipurpose Android or iOS smartphone. I'll probably go batshit crazy if this doesn't get an English dub, or at least a localised Hindi dub (here in India). They might even go the Xros Wars route (Saban dubbed only the first two arcs, whereas the William Winckler group dubbed all three arcs uncut). New manga is almost certainly always welcome, and I hope it makes it to the Kindle store :)
That being said, I'd like to add that all of this (apart from the Xros Wars aside) is pure speculation. Even though tri. takes place in 2005, I feel we'll get to see some Meicoomon, Huckmon and Gankoomon action in this new series, if it indeed releases as an anime.

saifors

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I suspect it has more to do with seeing or scanning data honestly. In the context of an app and data, thats what the magnifying glass tends to represent.

Perhaps a new version of a Digimon Analyzer... Or a way to see hiding Digimon.

To sleep I go.
Scanning? Maybe, they'll have scanning like in the Digimon Story games? The pattern on the glass is similar to the graphic that appears in CyberSleuth to show Scan % of other Digimon

AliceKaninchenbau

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I just love how this whole poster looks like, like it has this feel of old official Bandai art to me, so it feels weirdly retro and I just love that. Something about the poster also speaks to me that this show could be aimed at a younger audience which would be absolutely fantastic as far as I'm concerned. I could be very wrong though, however it goes, I'm just glad this franchise isn't on the verge of death (or well, it might be, but it's not the same kind of verge of death as it was like three years ago or something, you know?)

Tetra Seleno

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Although it's really difficult to tell right now if the Digimon on the promo is Hackmon or a new Digimon, it wouldn't surprise me if it was the former. With the next 2/3rds of Tri premiering concurrently with this season (assuming it gets a 50ish episode season), Hackmon could be cross marketed by both properties. But this is just totally wild speculation on my part.

Definitely good to see another edition of the franchise, looking forward to learning more in a few weeks.

Seymour Butz said:
How sad is it that my first thought about this series was literally to wonder how it’ll place among the best and worst series in the franchise.
Hah. I also had that thought. :(

Garmmon

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'd definitely go with the translation 'App Monsters'. I mean 'app' is the short form we see in daily English usage, like how 'appli/アプリ' is the short form used in daily Japanese usage.

Although it's really difficult to tell right now if the Digimon on the promo is Hackmon or a new Digimon, it wouldn't surprise me if it was the former. With the next 2/3rds of Tri premiering concurrently with this season (assuming it gets a 50ish episode season), Hackmon could be cross marketed by both properties. But this is just totally wild speculation on my part.
I think it looks too different to be Hackmon..headgear aside, Hackmon's markings and horn are all not there. Just the nose already gives a beast Digimon vibe, haha.

Anyway, it's a new Digimon series, with new Digimon. No matter how horrible or awesome it's gonna be I'm still super excited for it. c:

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Man, the big news always drops while I'm asleep. maybe I should sleep more causing more news.

Well... this could be good.
The theme of "Apps" could be applied gimmicky but it could also give Digimon a welcome technological edge, like Cyber Sleuth showcased with its integration of the themes of VR. This is what's originally in the core of Digimon; the digital aspect, the technology, the networking. So I'd welcome a focus that's more on sci-fi and less generic fantasy.
And of course I have the more general hopes I'd have for every Digimon project, that they keep the franchise on the promising track that CS and tri showed and don't aim this project at too young of an audience. It would be sad to see a promising theme get dumbed down.
Anyway about the "game" aspect I wonder how closely they will tie it to the anime. With a theme of "apps", there are many possibilities who knows, maybe even some crazy ARG stuff although this too has potential to become just a cheap gimmick. And honestly I hope the main thing isn't any mobile game. During the last few years I feel we've been pretty much flooded with Digimon mobile games and apps and the most they have ever been were some amusing time sinks but not more. If it's part of a truly big project I hope for less mobile shenanigans and more of a proper next-gen Digimon game, although seeing that Digimon games have been confined to handheld lately I'm not sure how hopeful I can afford to be (although if it was just a mobile game wouldn't they have called it an "app" again instead of "game"?).

They refer to it being a 'monster' sized project to launch fall 2016, with 'hobby' products (toys and so forth), a game, and a TV anime.
There are quite a few pretty small monsters in Digimon so let's see...

They make it seem as if it's a new franchise under the Digimon flag. Instead of Digital Monster, it's Application Monster.
I wonder if it's a spin off, or just a new gimmick.
I really hope that's not the case. taking a theme that would really fit Digimon already and then separating it from that by using a new kind of monster seems like a waste. And Personally I always hope to see more rarely used Digimon see some animated action which in the case of a new kind of Digimon in general would be even less likely than it already is.

I just love how this whole poster looks like, like it has this feel of old official Bandai art to me
The official bandai art by Kenji Watanabe (not the commissioned art) always looked like that and never stopped looking like that (In fact the Xros Wars art by Bandai went in that direction more than ever). It's just that those "grungy" details tend to get lost in the low res images that bandai releases.

I think it looks too different to be Hackmon..headgear aside, Hackmon's markings and horn are all not there. Just the nose already gives a beast Digimon vibe, haha.
I agree that there's not too much pointing to Hackmon. I mean what we see is mostly that the design involves red and yellow. And red and yellow just happen to be the two most prominent colors used for pretty much every protagonist Digimon ever.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.