Digimon Time and Time-Travel Management

Mattatias

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Im preparing a video for my channel regarding the science of digimon, on the first chapter of this series im working on i focused on paralel worlds and diemsions. Now I'm aiming about how time works around all the shows and games. Like how long where the childs from adventure in the digital world and how much time is that relative to the human world. Also how the ryo games worked around the concept of time travel and also the time travel complexity of the xross wars manga. Any information you may have or add regarding your thoughts or some rare information i could use for this matter whould be great! The idea is making some science divulgation around concepts that may be interesting on the digimon shows, videogames and manga. Any insights you may have?

VanChizzle

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
From the Digimon Adventure novel, Koushirou theorized that 1 minute in the Human World was equivalent to about 1 day in the Digital World. When Taichi and the others came back to Earth to find the 8th Child before Vamdemon did, they'd been gone for about 3 hours, which was equal to roughly 6 months in Digital World time.

Of course this was due to the distortion caused by Apocalymon's existence, so after his defeat the flow of time was synchronized between the two worlds again.

I can't really speak for the games with Ryo but I believe people have brought up the idea of string theory as an explanation for multiple timelines existing. As far as I know there's never been an "official" explanation for how the time travelling was all possible.

Mattatias

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That's the thing, when taichi left the digital world after the metalgreymon first appearance and then came back the kids search for him for a month i think (correct me if im wrong), and that whould mean that taichi was on the human world around 30 minutes only. Im trying to connect the time distortion with the way the human world and the digital world worked in sync or async ways, also the time spent by imperialdramon on 02 getting each kid to diferent parts of the world in one night and the speed he whould have to accomplish to get that done.

icomeanon6

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That's the thing, when taichi left the digital world after the metalgreymon first appearance and then came back the kids search for him for a month i think (correct me if im wrong), and that whould mean that taichi was on the human world around 30 minutes only.
I believe Yamato says around the campfire that they've been searching for "a month and a half" if the translation I'm reading can be trusted. It seems like there are a few days between then and when Taichi and Agumon make it back, so it seems safe to say they probably had 45 minutes plus a few. That still seems short for the events of episode 21 and the pace at which Taichi was going, but it's a bit more reasonable. That said, I think there's a potential in-universe explanation for any little discrepancies in the time ratios. Koshiro theorizes 1 minute to 1 day, but more specifically this can refer at most to the average ratio of real-world time to Digital-World time during that 3 hour/6 month stretch. It's reasonable to consider that the moment-to-moment ratio varied during that span, and that Taichi and Koromon's detour could have taken place during a stretch where the Digital World's time was moving a bit slower than average. At least, that's how I'd explain it if I'd written the show.

As for Imperialdramon, I think this is more a regular earth-physics question than a Digimon-time one, but it's still interesting! I think an important detail is that Imperialdramon appears to enter low Earth orbit for much of the flight. For comparison, the International Space Station orbits the Earth once every 90 minutes. I haven't looked into Imperialdramon's exact itinerary, and he would have to spend time to accelerate and decelerate, but I suspect his trip does meet a basic standard of fictional realism!

Best of luck with making your video. It'd be beyond cool if you were able to put it up on August 1st, just saying ;)

Mattatias

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That's the thing, when taichi left the digital world after the metalgreymon first appearance and then came back the kids search for him for a month i think (correct me if im wrong), and that whould mean that taichi was on the human world around 30 minutes only.
I believe Yamato says around the campfire that they've been searching for "a month and a half" if the translation I'm reading can be trusted. It seems like there are a few days between then and when Taichi and Agumon make it back, so it seems safe to say they probably had 45 minutes plus a few. That still seems short for the events of episode 21 and the pace at which Taichi was going, but it's a bit more reasonable. That said, I think there's a potential in-universe explanation for any little discrepancies in the time ratios. Koshiro theorizes 1 minute to 1 day, but more specifically this can refer at most to the average ratio of real-world time to Digital-World time during that 3 hour/6 month stretch. It's reasonable to consider that the moment-to-moment ratio varied during that span, and that Taichi and Koromon's detour could have taken place during a stretch where the Digital World's time was moving a bit slower than average. At least, that's how I'd explain it if I'd written the show.

As for Imperialdramon, I think this is more a regular earth-physics question than a Digimon-time one, but it's still interesting! I think an important detail is that Imperialdramon appears to enter low Earth orbit for much of the flight. For comparison, the International Space Station orbits the Earth once every 90 minutes. I haven't looked into Imperialdramon's exact itinerary, and he would have to spend time to accelerate and decelerate, but I suspect his trip does meet a basic standard of fictional realism!

Best of luck with making your video. It'd be beyond cool if you were able to put it up on August 1st, just saying ;)
Im taking references from the digimon reference book, sadly i'd had to make estimations about imperialdramon's speed.

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Some science divulgations? alright then.

Let me preface this with a basic assumption about the workings of science, something that many fan theories, youtubers, tumblrs and whatnot tend to ignore:

Science is not about bending over backwards to describe something with the fanciest words possible.
It is not about forcing the connections you want into existence using mental gymnastics.

It is about stripping away the hearsay and the wishful thinking from a topic.
It's about viewing existing theories with scrutiny and weeding out the lacking arguments and overeager conclusions.

...And if this process leaves us with less facts and certainty than before, then it is worth considering that there might just not be that many facts around.

On facts that are provided and what is added to them

Asking for people's thoughts is nice and all but one of the most important "thoughts" if you want to treat fiction scientifically is definitely to have a grasp of what is actually canon and what was added by fan interpretation.
And people have been constructing interpretations and theories about it for years and in the case of some parts decades.
And while I'm not saying that there is no insight to be gained from at least some of them, they should always be viewed with skepticism and tested against the actual canonical text.

Things become ingrained as "common knowledge" that might not be totally supported and you already mentioned one of the prime example in the franchise.

Many fans would tell you that the Ryo games, especially Brave Tamer, deal with some in-depths quantum physics shenanigans. But if you actually play the games, or at least read the script you'll notice that nothing of the sort ever comes up in the actual story.
The quantum physics part of it is something that has been plastered onto it by fans, mostly ones that think that talking about quantum physics makes them feel smart (even while they are showcasing almost complete ignorance about how anything quantum physics actually works).

People just assume that the setting of the game has to be connected to the Many Worlds Interpretation because many worlds exist in the game.
This reasoning is as baseless and cheap as claiming that Mandarin Chinese and Latin are the same language because they share the concepts of words.
I am of course aware that it is a common in fiction to have any concept including scientific laws simplified and stylized but here's the thing: The more abstract and stylized a topic is presented, the more the story itself needs to clarify through different aspects what it actually wants to portray (We are not concerned with metaphors or allegories here). In the case of Brave Tamer, the game's complete silence on any terms connected to quantum physics and the lack of concepts that actually work how proper MWI actually predicts them to work leaves very little proof that the game it is intending to stylize anything whatsoever.
It is a generic fantasy setting that happens to encompass multiple dimensions, with no reference to any specific scientific theory.
And it makes a hell of a lot more sense to view it as that rather than to bring in a whole system of physics that does not explain anything better.

Intermission:
What we have here is random scans of tidbits from different parts of the franchise basically quote-mined to prove an abstruse fan agenda. Some of the "sources" have some value as trivia... and then the author jumps ten far-fetched conclusions ahead in the very next sentence into his own little world of what he would like to be the case (This wouldn't be nearly as bad if it was actually presented as being subjective).
Note how much of the "reasoning" presented is nothing more than some random other continuity using the same word at some point, or bringing up some vaguely similar sounding concept.
This is exactly the kind of wishy washy mental gymnastics that is basically the polar opposite of the scientific method (It has more similarity with the "piece together anything you want" approach of Astrology).
Overall I'd rate the page as having a distribution of around 15% reasonable trivia and 85% random fanwank.

Finally, onto something more concrete:
We can be quite sure about how long he stayed in the human world. There are clocks on the screen both shortly after his arrival and shortly before his departure (and not by accident I would assume). The clock on the plaza he arrives at shows a time around 12:00. And around the 17 minute mark when he is on the way to the intersection a broadcast is shown on TV with a time caption of 13:10. So he leaves at around 13:13 or maybe 13:15.

So that's over two months already but as pointed out before, the statement about "one and a half months" comes from before the children's separation, and plenty of more time passes afterwards until they meet Taichi again or even each other (for example, Jou has already worked for Digitamamon for over two weeks when Yamato meets him, Mimi has been wasting the Gekomon's time for a whole while etc).

Mattatias

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Some science divulgations? alright then.

Let me preface this with a basic assumption about the workings of science, something that many fan theories, youtubers, tumblrs and whatnot tend to ignore:

Science is not about bending over backwards to describe something with the fanciest words possible.
It is not about forcing the connections you want into existence using mental gymnastics.

It is about stripping away the hearsay and the wishful thinking from a topic.
It's about viewing existing theories with scrutiny and weeding out the lacking arguments and overeager conclusions.

...And if this process leaves us with less facts and certainty than before, then it is worth considering that there might just not be that many facts around.
Oh, im sorry if my ideas were misinterpreted. Let me ease your mind about some things. On my videos im not making statements or postulating something as the real truth. I know most of the world building on the digimon series, mangas and videogames might be quite a mess. I do not intend to use science's name falsely. If any science data on any of my videos is wrong, i have no trouble on deleting the video and rephrase and correct the stuff im exploring. For example, the first video i made i explored the phenomena that happens with the aurora and the portal sending the kids to the digital world and what does it take in real life to that stuff to happen. Im not suggesting that thats the turth and the canon or asuming anything, only explaining how stuff happens in nature and how is it related with what you saw on fiction. I also add the source of the information im exploring on each video.

Now i'm bulding some parallels to how time works on our daily basis and how is it managed in digimon, exoposing when things get to fantasy like and when they whould happend.
I hope i could ease your mind about this. I love science and i whould never take something i made in science name falsely.

Interesting stuff i calculated how long whould it take (aprox) for saberleomon (at mach 1 speed according to the digimon reference book) to get from earth to proxima centauri.

Chisana Minamoto

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What we have here is random scans of tidbits from different parts of the franchise basically quote-mined to prove an abstruse fan agenda. Some of the "sources" have some value as trivia... and then the author jumps ten far-fetched conclusions ahead in the very next sentence into his own little world of what he would like to be the case (This wouldn't be nearly as bad if it was actually presented as being subjective).
Note how much of the "reasoning" presented is nothing more than some random other continuity using the same word at some point, or bringing up some vaguely similar sounding concept.
This is exactly the kind of wishy washy mental gymnastics that is basically the polar opposite of the scientific method (It has more similarity with the "piece together anything you want" approach of Astrology).
Overall I'd rate the page as having a distribution of around 15% reasonable trivia and 85% random fanwank.
Well, it could be considered a fairly successful attempt to unify everything. Many fans would like to somehow bring all the canons together. Digimon is a sci-fi fantasy. Or if you want a fantasy with scifi elements. But how does the Digital World really work scientifically? Where is the real science and where is our imagination so far?

SparkGold

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think it's interesting how Millenniummon seems free from the concepts of time and space. Do you think Apocalymon has something to do with that? Also, how do the Clockmons play into thr Digital World's time?

DigiKing Tamer

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Not sure if the video has already been put up or not, but I'd love to bring mention to Chronomon's existence. Not sure if he actually has anything to do with time, but you never know!

e105zeta

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I think this plot device was just a reference to the fact that for tamagotchi and Digimon 1 human day = 1 year for them.