Digimon Tamers Opinions

Golden_Fate

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The second season suffers from being a direct sequel to the beloved Adventure and is doomed to be compared to it more closely than the others. Tamers, I loved, because it had a darker tone and offered something different than Adventure had. I was a little older and it felt like Digimon was too. While I'll admit it's a little slower moving I feel like it was in favor of greater character development and give the stakes near the end even more impact. I shed allot more tears in Tamers than I had in any other series I saw. I was genuinely surprised when all the kids started getting Digimon, I figured we'd get one extra kid...not five or six!"

Eddie Stilson

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Tamers is weird in the role it has in the fandom, especially in the United States.

When Tamers debuted in 2001 here, Digimon was established as the big powerhouse of Fox Kids alongside Power Rangers, more or less filling the void that the Marvel cartoons of the early and mid 90's had left once they ended their original runs and became rerun fodder for Fox Kids and later Jetix.

Adventure was huge among the fans and Zero Two was pretty popular as well, especially among the younger fans who didn't fully realize just how egregious some of 02's plot holes were. A lot of the Digimon fans I went to school with at the time all Daemon and the Dark Ocean got set up and dropped to be the bad guy for Season 3.

Then came A Million Points of Light, the notorious finale episode that seemed to wrap up everything neatly with a happy ending.

Then came the promos for Tamers all throughout the summer of '01, which had this dark and edgy vibe and then the third season premiered, and it had a profound effect on the fandom. As TV Tropes would call it. Tamers was a base-breaker. You either loved it or hated it, with few in-between when it first aired.

The fact it was in an entirely separate universe from Adventure took some getting used to, and the slower pace of the earlier episodes probably turned a lot of people off at first, and the random references to Adventure in those episodes didn't help things. It made Zero Two look cheapened and pointless.

The fact that Fox Kids died out a few short months after the finale of Tamers aired, and that it was followed by the mostly reviled Frontier and the Pokemon/Digimon fad and rivalry became moot as Yu-Gi-Oh! started getting really big in the early 2000's, and some fans blamed Tamers for killing the Digimon franchise.

But for the ones who stayed tuned in, it got better and became enthralling and by the time they entered the Digital World, anyone who was still watching was hooked. I know I was.

It may not have been a true deconstruction of Digimon, but it sure as hell felt like one, especially at the time. It just felt darker and edgier, and the more lax dub censorship as it went along added to that feeling. The Digital World in Tamers wasn't like some magical forest like File Island was in Adventure. It was a bizarre desert wasteland that felt like the offspring of Salvador Dali's Persistence of Memory paintings and the early Dark Tower novels.

Then came the last big arc with Jeri and the D-Reaper after they returned from the Digital World, which is beloved for a reason.

Over the years as the initial backlash over Tamers not being in the same world as Adventure faded from memory for most of the fans and Zero Two lost a lot of its initial luster thanks to the infamous finale and the unresolved sub-plots.

Also, the Digimon fanbase got smaller and smaller after Yu-Gi-Oh! replaced Pokemon as the big merchandise-driven fad and Fox Kids died out while Frontier sank harder than the Lusitania when it aired. People began to retroactively appreciate Tamers and by the end of the 2010's, Tamers went from underrated to overrated for a lot of people.

Personally, I love Tamers and have since it aired. But I can see why some people don't get the hype.

Digimon Tamers is basically the TV-Y7 equivalent of Neon Genesis Evangelion, both in good and bad ways.

DigitalJex

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It does not follow the rules it early episodes establish
Would you mind elaborating?
So the show starts out with absorbing data being the plot mechanic of getting stronger. Everyone believes that absorbing a digimon's data will cause digivolution. Yet we don't see this happen. Renamon is shown taking in data episode after episode, yet she does not digivolve until Rika values her. On the opposite example, Guilmon and Terriermon digivolve without absorbing practically any data. I suppose all of this can be quelled by saying that the digivice is more in control of the digivolution process of digimon partnered with tamers, but it feels overlooked.

Furthering on the data absorption, after Beezlemon takes in Leomon's data, he can use Leomon's attacks. Then, his body starts to mutate after taking in the data of Rapidmon and Taomon (which was already odd since Terriermon and Renamon live). If this is what data absorption does to digimon, how come Renamon never exhibited any of this strength?

DigiModifying was a gimmick to sell cards; I understand that. But its usefulness and screen-time diminishes as the season progresses. It essentially is forgotten until a dire situation is made more dire when a character says "I don't have any cards for this!". Which they do. Boosted speed and strength is always needed.

The show also did not seem to understand how Blue Cards worked. During the fight with Vikaralamon, they express that they don't have any Blue Cards and thus can't Matrix Digivolve. But then that is tossed aside. Blue Cards start to just appear, Matrix Digivolution just happens, Calumon can be present or not; it did not add up.

Also yelling boosts strength and tamers feel a digimon's pain. This should either happen every time or none of the time.

TheMatrix

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Tamers is weird in the role it has in the fandom, especially in the United States.

When Tamers debuted in 2001 here, Digimon was established as the big powerhouse of Fox Kids alongside Power Rangers, more or less filling the void that the Marvel cartoons of the early and mid 90's had left once they ended their original runs and became rerun fodder for Fox Kids and later Jetix.

Adventure was huge among the fans and Zero Two was pretty popular as well, especially among the younger fans who didn't fully realize just how egregious some of 02's plot holes were. A lot of the Digimon fans I went to school with at the time all Daemon and the Dark Ocean got set up and dropped to be the bad guy for Season 3.

Then came A Million Points of Light, the notorious finale episode that seemed to wrap up everything neatly with a happy ending.

Then came the promos for Tamers all throughout the summer of '01, which had this dark and edgy vibe and then the third season premiered, and it had a profound effect on the fandom. As TV Tropes would call it. Tamers was a base-breaker. You either loved it or hated it, with few in-between when it first aired.

The fact it was in an entirely separate universe from Adventure took some getting used to, and the slower pace of the earlier episodes probably turned a lot of people off at first, and the random references to Adventure in those episodes didn't help things. It made Zero Two look cheapened and pointless.

The fact that Fox Kids died out a few short months after the finale of Tamers aired, and that it was followed by the mostly reviled Frontier and the Pokemon/Digimon fad and rivalry became moot as Yu-Gi-Oh! started getting really big in the early 2000's, and some fans blamed Tamers for killing the Digimon franchise.

But for the ones who stayed tuned in, it got better and became enthralling and by the time they entered the Digital World, anyone who was still watching was hooked. I know I was.

It may not have been a true deconstruction of Digimon, but it sure as hell felt like one, especially at the time. It just felt darker and edgier, and the more lax dub censorship as it went along added to that feeling. The Digital World in Tamers wasn't like some magical forest like File Island was in Adventure. It was a bizarre desert wasteland that felt like the offspring of Salvador Dali's Persistence of Memory paintings and the early Dark Tower novels.

Then came the last big arc with Jeri and the D-Reaper after they returned from the Digital World, which is beloved for a reason.

Over the years as the initial backlash over Tamers not being in the same world as Adventure faded from memory for most of the fans and Zero Two lost a lot of its initial luster thanks to the infamous finale and the unresolved sub-plots.

Also, the Digimon fanbase got smaller and smaller after Yu-Gi-Oh! replaced Pokemon as the big merchandise-driven fad and Fox Kids died out while Frontier sank harder than the Lusitania when it aired. People began to retroactively appreciate Tamers and by the end of the 2010's, Tamers went from underrated to overrated for a lot of people.

Personally, I love Tamers and have since it aired. But I can see why some people don't get the hype.

Digimon Tamers is basically the TV-Y7 equivalent of Neon Genesis Evangelion, both in good and bad ways.
Honestly I never thought Digimon Tamers was really that much darker then the original adventures. Does not matter if the Digital world has a forest or is a pure wasteland it is still a fantasy land and I actually find the Motorcycle who possesses it's rider to be a very fairy tale like concept. I guess you can say that a wasteland is less charming but please note that the entire part of main server that Etemon occupied was also pretty much a wasteland.

Honestly most of the really dark stuff that people constantly talk about in Tamers are near the last several episodes and does not really represent the show as a whole. Not to mention it actually has a pretty sweet ending with Guilmon saying hi to Takato from the Digital world.

In my opinion the darkest season I have seen so far is actually 02. The whole deal with Ken wishing to lose his older brother right before he dies and becoming a tyrant when attempting to fill his shoes is not just dark but straight up a tragic story. But if that was not enough Oikawa is pretty much the story of a depressed shout in and is all to real honestly given that these stories largely take please in Japan.

Please note that this does not mean that I think 02 is the best Digimon series in fact I consider it the worst of the ones I have seen so far, however as far as dealing with some pretty dark and might I add adult themes it does it more than Digimon adventure tri which out of all the series was the only one targeted at adults.

I guess Digimon Tamers is still allot darker than the original adventure series with the exception of the mean villain without any friends actually getting to redeem himself and have a happy ending.
https://youtu.be/RZG-m5n4Z1Q?t=93
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrawOlugfY0

Last edited:

e105zeta

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So the show starts out with absorbing data being the plot mechanic of getting stronger. Everyone believes that absorbing a digimon's data will cause digivolution. Yet we don't see this happen. Renamon is shown taking in data episode after episode, yet she does not digivolve until Rika values her. On the opposite example, Guilmon and Terriermon digivolve without absorbing practically any data. I suppose all of this can be quelled by saying that the digivice is more in control of the digivolution process of digimon partnered with tamers, but it feels overlooked.
This was pretty obviously revealed to be a misconception on the part of Ruki and the wild Digimon. Just because they didn’t state it doesn’t make it a plot hole.

SparkGold

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This was pretty obviously revealed to be a misconception on the part of Ruki and the wild Digimon. Just because they didn’t state it doesn’t make it a plot hole.
no, it wasn't obvious and it wasn't presented in their statement as a plothole but instead an oversight which was presented with strong examples for their opinion. It was a strong plot device that multiple characters believed in before being dropped and not expanded upon or explained why characters believe this without notice which very much so can feel like an oversight

Yamato-san

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Honestly I never thought Digimon Tamers was really that much darker then the original adventures. Does not matter if the Digital world has a forest or is a pure wasteland it is still a fantasy land and I actually find the Motorcycle who possesses it's rider to be a very fairy tale like concept. I guess you can say that a wasteland is less charming but please not that the entire part of main server that Etemon occupied was also pretty much a wasteland.

Honestly most of the really dark stuff that people constantly talk about in Tamers are near the last several episodes and does not really represent the show as a whole. Not to mention it actually has a pretty sweet ending with Guilmon saying hi to Takato from the Digital world.

In my opinion the darkest season I have seen so far is actually 02. The whole deal with Ken losing his older brother right before he dies and becoming a tyrant when attempting to fill his shoes is not just dark but straight up a tragic story. But if that was not enough Oikawa is pretty much the story of a depressed shout in and is all to real honestly given that these stories largely take please in Japan.

Please note that this does not mean that I think 02 is the best Digimon series in fact I consider it the worst of the ones I have seen so far, however as far as dealing with some pretty dark and might I add adult themes it does it more than Digimon adventure tri which out of all the series was the only one targeted at adults.

I guess Digimon Tamers is still allot darker than the original adventure series with the exception of the mean villain without any friends actually getting to redeem himself and have a happy ending.
https://youtu.be/RZG-m5n4Z1Q?t=93
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrawOlugfY0
Now, it's been a while since I watched the show, so anyone's free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd agree with you that, if taken in terms of individual scenes and plotpoints, Tamers actually isn't that much more dark or disturbing than the other Digimon series (I mean, when you think about it, children shouldering a traumatizing past, and having to confront it in what is surprisingly not an overly convenient manner, especially so far as kids' media goes, is pretty much the norm for the Digimon anime, if not the entire franchise). But I think what really sets Tamers apart from the other series is the general mood of the show. This isn't about having fun in some fantastical isekai where random nonsense happens at every turn. Tamers is more primarily focused on the idea of Digimon coming into existence in the real world, and it especially wants to ask about the moral implications of Digimon as living beings.

Digitama seem to no longer be a thing in this series, the threat of perma-death is constantly there, and in spite of it all, Digimon are still beings of conflict, retooled into savage beasts who seek only to predate on one another. Even when they do visit the Digital World, it's hardly much of a wonderland so much as it is a brutal frontier where it's survival of the fittest, and the threat of extinction by an empathetic deletion program constantly looms over everyone. And on top of all this, Digimon as a concept in itself takes on far more of a hard science approach, more so than probably anywhere else in the franchise. And yet in spite of that, the Digimon here have arguably stronger characterization than anywhere else in the franchise as well. The Digimon partners are far less some sort of symbolism for personal growth, and more so their own persons who have to come to understand humans while needing to be understood in turn. And while I'm sure the term gets abused a lot, I will say that there's a bit of a "deconstruction" element to it as well. There's a reason Tamers is oftentimes compared to Evangelion, as "Get in the robot, Shinji!" is really not near as easy as it's cracked up to be. Likewise, while it's nowhere near as dank as Evangelion, Tamers nevertheless explores the idea of a Digimon fanboy suddenly ending up with his own Digimon partner and the complications that would come with it, complications which go as far as to include involvement with a government organization. I'm sure there's many other reasons Tamers comes off being more dark than the other series, but that's off the top of my head.

Last edited:

NTDum2

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I remember the Digimon Tamers Yahoo Group at the time lol. If we were super lucky, we got the old crappy RM clips. They took forever to get due to dial up!

For me though, I don't like Tamers.

Ryo is over-rated.
Hirokazu and Kenta annoyed the shit out of me.
Shuichon another annoying character.
Juri see above with annoying.

D-Reaper = snooze fest.

Found the storylines boring and too drawn out (something that people slam on Frontier for, but fanboi over Tamers...)

The only good thing i found about Tamers was Impmon/Beelzebumon and Ruki/Renamon.
So you dont like rescue arcs? Case Tamers had two, post the beginning phase.

Frontier got slammed for starting with a vanilla rescue arc right off the bat, after Tamers did two, the fanbase was fated to get bored especially when Frontier couldnt even got close to Tamer tier, in terms of quality after that it went for a predictable stake fight between two royal guards and the protag and his second in command the rest of the team didnt matter.

Tamers by comparison looks so much better, even after having Matrix evolution Takato still had to be saved by Kenta when he got inside the D-Reaper for the first time, it also showcased how the other tamers could be useful just by having strong base mons.

One of the things that makes Tamers great and memorable is the "contrast", established between character interactions/fights:

Examples:
1- The D-reaper Juri Agent and Takato interacting are what setups D-Reaper as a fantastic force of nature antagonist, Takato showcases compassion when trying to interact with what he believes to be a human friend, but the Agent just doesnt care, everytime it doesnt get compassion, it made it creepy and especially love craftian in horror when it came to following its programming (it didnt even get what the word "father" means, which ofc makes sense case otherwise it wouldnt try to destroy its creators).
2- Juri and Impmon/Beelzemon, she thought he wasnt bad at first but its how she´ s willing to spare him as Beelzemon, after he killed her partner that even grants him a chance at redemption afterwards.

There are plenty of other examples but the "contrast" makes it stand out from other seasons, oh and dont forget about the "character stakes", any good rescue arc needs to have good "character stakes", how many Digimon seasons have rescue arcs on the level of Juri´ s?