Digimon Tamers Opinions

DigitalJex

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
With the first four seasons of Digimon now being on Hulu, I have been rewatching them for the first time since the Jetex reruns (excluded Adventure/season 1 because I own the DVD's and have watched it several times since). Although, I have kept up with the fandom, franchise, and read wikia entries so I have not forgotten anything about the series. I know that generally the fandom places 02 near the bottom of the barrel for its dropped plot devices, messy story, and unlikable new characters. It is so disliked that I considered asking for a compiled list of episodes to watch rather than the entire season. Conversely, Tamers has held to Gold Standard of Digimon TV for many years, being the must-watch-before-you-die season of Digimon.

I was able to finish seasons 2 and 3 in just under two weeks, with 02 taking me 4 days (in a row) to watch while Tamers took me several more days and not over consecutive days. The reason being that even though 02 has its faults, I still had fun watching it. It runs out the gate with a dire situation and does not cover up the violence of being ruled by The Digimon Emperor. It did a well enough job of giving the original group moments on screen while still working with the new three. Later episodes expanded the lore, the universe, the backstories - it really enjoyed it!

But Tamers, to me, was a flop. It does not follow the rules it early episodes establish, Kazu, Kenta, and Susie are pointless but given so much screen time with the former two being the worst characters, the events take way too long and span more than one episode to do anything, the plot is dull - there is just so little about this season that I enjoyed and too much that made me annoyed. Looking back, I realized that when people praise this season, they exclusively talk about the last 15 or so episodes; Jeri and the D-Reaper. But even those were flawed. I just don't understand how Tamers has been placed on the mythical golden pedestal when I find so little to like about it.

Let's discuss!

Last edited by a moderator:

SparkGold

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Guilmon > every other main character's Digimon and that's why Tamers is best

Digiforlife

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I really enjoyed Tamers because digimon designs are fantastic e.g. Gallantmon/Dukemon, Beelzemon, Sakuyamon. Also more focus on the relationship between tamers and digimon partners since there are only 3 main characters and their digimon partners and relationships between characters i.e. humans to humans and digimon to digimon are done in a lot deeper way than other series. It also explores a lot darker themes like grief of losing someone close & how to deal with that and the issue of forgiveness and redemption which I think a lot people can relate to that. Yes I won't deny Tamers is flawed like all other anime (because people who made them are flawed) but people tend to like Tamers because of its flaws. But again just people enjoy the series doesn't mean it does well financially and that may be why we won't be seeing anime sequel to tamers like Adventure series.

Da_Duke2000

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I was around on the forums when we were getting weekly RAW episodes of Tamers, straight from Japan, and I can't honestly fully explain the feeling (effect?) that Tamers had on the fandom then.

At that time we were fresh off Zero Two, with the joyous celebration of the Million Points of Light episode, and with its wacky, but endearing epilogue. It ended so light and hopeful. Almost too chipper for some.

But then came the teaser art for Tamers. Seeing those posters... all the theories about Impmon, Calumon, and only three kids? The art style was sharper, and Renamon and Guilmon were sensational designs, and we were in the real world... what!? And what's with these cards... how does this all work?! We were desperate for answers. Also keep in mind this is early internet era, dial-up for many. So getting information and episodes was very difficult.

And then the episodes came in. The Japanese RAWs were jaw-dropping for most of us. We had no idea what was happening. Feral Digimon emerging from the fog, those simply gorgeous and visceral evolution sequences, the mystery of Calumon's role in Digivolution. And then the Devas! It wasn't like we could binge watch, and Tamers was exceptionally good at Pay-Offs, both visual and narrative.

And the new takes on many staples always kept us on our feet. Digivolution that wouldn't wear off, Partner Digimon 'choosing' their Tamers. We had no idea what to expect. And remember, this was before Frontier, and Xros Wars, and every other seemingly random "Digital World" concept they were running with. When they finally prepared to enter the Digital World it was truly an expedition that did not disappoint, and the danger was constantly being felt in a way Adventure/02 never did. Meramon being trampled for example, but even before that we has Gorillamon and Henry, IceDevimon, and Impmon and his self-esteem issues. Not to mention Jeri. This really was uncharted, and it felt uncharted.

For me anyways, this is what I remember most. The feeling of something truly refreshing and unpredictable, in a world that had lasting consequences.

I mean... by the time ZeroTwo got going there was nothing that I found particularly surprising or innovative in the Arcs. We had Dark Ring Digimon, then Dark Spiral Digimon, then Control Spire Digimon, then multi Control Spire Digimon... not to mention the "we can't kill real Digimon" nonsense (Tamers put a bullet in that one quick). And the round robin of predictable digivolution cycles, coupled with a Monster of the Week was also tiresome, "Ok. This has to be the one for Hawkmon to get his second Armor".

To go from that, to something steeped in mystery... and Jesus! I forgot to mention Hypnos and Yamaki and his danged lighter. The whole thing channeled Evangelion, which was very timely. And the Darklizamon episode... damn. We never had a solid human antagonist up until this point that was not cartoonishly villanous (Digimon Kaiser), or half-baked (Oikawa).

And lastly, many of us who really tout it were also teenagers at it's original run, and it was truly the Digimon that felt like it grew up with us and didn't patronize us.

And that's my 1am rant. :) The love for Tamers had many factors. But I believe it was the perfect mix of coming off ZeroTwo with something that was grounded, was less episodic, had good character and Digimon design, had an plot that was relevant through the entire series, and was released at a time where kids had to wait a week between episodes just to discover the tiniest bit more about this new, fascinating, and unpredictable take on a familiar series.

Last edited:

icomeanon6

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I appreciate the specifics you provided on why you enjoyed 02 and found Tamers a slog; that provides a good starting point for a discussion. As for me, Tamers is my favorite season of Digimon, and I'll do my best to explain why here.
Looking back, I realized that when people praise this season, they exclusively talk about the last 15 or so episodes; Jeri and the D-Reaper.
Well, right off the bat I can make it so that in the future you have to say "mostly" instead of "exclusively," because the first dozen or so episodes of Tamers are among my favorite in all of Digimon. A frequent criticism of the season is that its beginning is a slow burn, but I think the beginning works because Tamers at its heart is less plot-driven than it is theme-driven. There are a lot of interesting ideas convincingly explored in these early episodes, the most important of them being summed up by the question, "If Digimon were to become real, how would you as a fan balance your love of battle with the knowledge that these are living creatures who feel pain and can die?" Would you be a Rika, a Henry, or a Takato? Or if you were already an adult of sufficient ability, would you be a Mr. Wong, a Yamaki, or a Shibumi?

On one side of the question you have Rika, who at first rejects the idea that the realized Digimon have genuine feelings and treats them like you'd treat trading cards. 02 has a similar idea in how Ken first thinks that the Digital World is just a video game, but the writers really dig into it with Rika because her callous understanding of the Digimon persists even after she meets Renamon in the real world, and therefore she needs more persuasion to understand why anyone should treat Digimon humanely. It's a slow, uneven, but realistic and compelling process for her to change and grow. On the opposite side of Rika you have Henry, who becomes aware that there's something wrong about making Digimon fight even when he still thinks it's just a video game, and when Terriermon realizes it only confirms what he already knew in his heart. As a Tamer he drops everything he thought as a Fan: Digimon should not fight and do not just exist to evolve. But this makes him conflicted when increasingly dangerous Digimon begin threatening the real world and he and Terriermon are among the very few who can protect the city. And in the middle there's Takato, who immediately sees Guilmon as a true friend, but who unlike Henry can't let go of the fantasy of battling and evolving. These character dynamics and the questions the show raises about the morality of Digimon the franchise itself are in my mind the core appeal of Tamers.

Going along those lines, I have to disagree about Kazu and Kenta being the worst characters (the worst one is Ryo in my book, but that's another topic and a lightning rod for arguments). Kazu and Kenta are important foils and contrasts to Takato and the other Tamers because they represent what they used to be: just fans. Obsessed fans who see the fantasy coming to life, but who can't understand its seriousness at first because they don't get to know the Digimon like the Tamers do. They (and Suzie) are supporting characters in the true sense of the word: their main purpose in the story is add dimension to the main characters. In this case, the fact that they lack much agency in the plot doesn't detract from their importance to the real story.

There's so much of Tamers' substance I haven't touched on. Impmon's character arc is maybe the biggest emotional roller coaster in all of Digimon, and it starts with another instance of the core "What if Digimon became real" question. Ai and Mako treat their realized Digimon the same way they (unfortunately) treat puppies: as a toy to fight over. And the consequences of abusing a live Digimon are much deadlier than the consequences of breaking a toy. Even a message as simple as "learn to share" takes on a lot of gravity when Tamers carries it to its logical conclusion in the context of video game monsters come to life. I could keep typing for hours about how well Tamers ties character arcs to themes.

Tamers isn't perfect. There's little rhyme or reason to how the cards work and they can make the outcomes of battles feel fairly arbitrary. I find that the Devas arc and much of the Digital World arc suffer in comparison to the less plot-driven but more thematically rich earlier episodes. But to me these issues are quite minor compared to what Tamers does offer: a convincing exploration of what it would mean for Digimon the fiction to become real, with no moral or philosophical consequence glossed over. Now, I don't mean to suggest that having smart ideas and themes automatically makes a show good, because execution is paramount, and if none of this grabbed you while you were watching it, it's perfectly reasonable to say that that's the show's fault. But I'll be glad if anything I've written gives you a new lens to hopefully appreciate Tamers through.

One thing I would recommend is to watch at least the first three episodes of Tamers in Japanese. It's much less wordy and self-aware than the dub (which is my favorite of the Digimon dubs; I'm a dub-critic but not a dub-hater), and especially for the first episode this helps to establish the more contemplative mood the show's creators were going for. You get a clearer impression of Takato as a naive, fairly immature, but earnest kid who's in over his head because his irresponsible dream came true, and this sets the stage perfectly for both his personal journey and the main ideas of the show.

tl;dr: I love Tamers because it has a lot to say and it says it in a way that both resonates and entertains.

Last edited:

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Duke, the earliest version of WtW that Jita began was in 2002, long after fans in the west would have seen a decent chunk of Tamers, and even longer after 02 ended, so I'd say your memory is playing tricks on you.

And I was also around the fandom at the time, the effect wasn't quite as grand as you are suggesting.

Sarabande__

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Tamers was fantastic because my boys impmon and beelzemon were introduced. Kenta was ok but Susie was pointless. I also found ryo pointless he was no legendary tamer he couldn't even control his cyberdramon. Ohh and jerry to me was pointless aswell. I think the main problem with tamers was the fact that anyone who wanted to become a tamer became one it was almost like they just said fuck it you can be a tamer and you and you and you. I like the digidestined theme and I don't agree with just making anyone a tamer like they did in tamers. But overall for me beelzemon and impmon made it one of my favourites.

Vande

V-Tamer Vande
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I remember the Digimon Tamers Yahoo Group at the time lol. If we were super lucky, we got the old crappy RM clips. They took forever to get due to dial up!

For me though, I don't like Tamers.

Ryo is over-rated.
Hirokazu and Kenta annoyed the shit out of me.
Shuichon another annoying character.
Juri see above with annoying.

D-Reaper = snooze fest.

Found the storylines boring and too drawn out (something that people slam on Frontier for, but fanboi over Tamers...)

The only good thing i found about Tamers was Impmon/Beelzebumon and Ruki/Renamon.

SparkGold

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Cyberdramon was acting that way because it had Zeed Millenniumon sealed in its body. Knowing one of the strongest characters in fiction who happens to be evil was inside Ryo's partner makes me think that he handled raising Cyberdramon super well.
Tamers didn't have a concept of DigiDestined if I recall correctly, as far as we know no outside identity chose any of these kids for a greater purpose. DigiDestined is an Adventure concept that, honestly, I don't really care much for as connections forming naturally through happenstance is more interesting to me.
That what I liked so much about Tamers as I got into Digimon as a teenager without having any Adventure nostalgia: everything in Tamers felt like the real world first and how Digimon affects it second. The setting is the real world, Digimon was an in-universe franchise, and Digimon were created by humans. As somebody who first started Digimon on the wikis reading entries written for the down to earth '97 v-pet interpretations of Digimon as opposed to the fantasy backstory and settings Adventure introduced, Tamers is a lot more like my first impression of what I thought the Digimon franchise was during the time when I first decided to watch it

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
This was a different season. While That One Friend I have has opinions on Renamon, I just have the opinion of Ryo being a "dink" in the dub. He was wrote terribly. And a reason why I never supported him and Ruki. But I'll talk more about that shipping then I ever will with Adventure... Then there was someone I used to know who love Beelzemon... ...Anyway! Sure was different.

Faust

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My main issue with Tamers was that it suffered from battles stretching on over too many episodes, and there being a very strange soft reset monster of the week bit in the middle. Had some great music though. I was just whistling Shiroi Kamome earlier.

Da_Duke2000

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Duke, the earliest version of WtW that Jita began was in 2002, long after fans in the west would have seen a decent chunk of Tamers, and even longer after 02 ended, so I'd say your memory is playing tricks on you.

And I was also around the fandom at the time, the effect wasn't quite as grand as you are suggesting.
There were other forums ;). The original Net Ocean pre-dated WTW by a bit at that time, and was largely general discussion, toys, RP, and fanfic based.

But you're still probably mostly right. I am likely amalgamated the early feeling of sites like jpwong's, and the IRC chat community.

I think the main problem with tamers was the fact that anyone who wanted to become a tamer became one it was almost like they just said fuck it you can be a tamer and you and you and you.
Except in the Adventure-verse it's the same. All you needed was to have 'seen' a Digimon, and poof, you get a Partner. The Heighten View Terrace event for the original kids, or Diaboromon's Cyber attack for the ZeroTwo kids. I mean, the entire 02 finale kind of demonstrated how not-special being a Digi-Destined was. Not much 'destiny' there either.

Last edited:

Yamato-san

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Also, wasn't what determined who became a Tamer based entirely on the whims of the Digi-Gnomes? Compared to the logic behind Chosen Children, I don't see what's wrong with that, especially when Hirokazu and Kenta spent such an extended length of time within the Digital World (though Suichong happening to end up there and meeting Andiramon was a little forced, I'll admit). Besides that, what a lot of people don't seem to consider is that Tamers knew to keep focus on its MAIN characters, which were considerably trimmed down from Adventure's (actually somewhat bloated) main group. Simply being a kid with a monster partner does not a main character make, in fact it's easy to argue that any of the side Tamers (except Juri and MAYBE Ryou..... and Impmon though not so much Ai/Makoto) had less relevance than about half the adult characters in Tamers. Like them or hate them, I think it's safe to say that they weren't being overly intrusive in the end.

One thing I would recommend is to watch at least the first three episodes of Tamers in Japanese. It's much less wordy and self-aware than the dub (which is my favorite of the Digimon dubs; I'm a dub-critic but not a dub-hater), and especially for the first episode this helps to establish the more contemplative mood the show's creators were going for. You get a clearer impression of Takato as a naive, fairly immature, but earnest kid who's in over his head because his irresponsible dream came true, and this sets the stage perfectly for both his personal journey and the main ideas of the show.
Aside from a few VERY brief clips of Pokemon, Digimon Tamers was actually my first time watching any anime in Japanese. And for the longest time, I only had raws of the first four episodes (as well as the latter half of the 5th episode), and I was rewatching those like crazy despite not understanding a non-Engrish word of it. Characters' voices seemed much more fitting (and in some cases like with Guilmon and Culumon, fucking adorable), nobody felt the need to chatter on every second, there was that lovely background silence I see in most anime, and even a god damn battle theme song, hell, great music in general..... needless to say, my first experience with the Japanese version of Digimon was friggin' hyped. I could never go back to the dub after that (thankfully, everything from them entering the Digital World onwards was uploaded on, I think, Floppy-Eared Terriermon's site, but it took me a good while to hunt down everything in between).

That said, I'm definitely biased towards this series. But even so, there was a lot that appealed to me on its own merits. For one thing, I loved how this series predominantly took place within the real world. Frankly, I've always thought Digimon was at its best when it WASN'T being an isekai. I mean, the Vamdemon arc of Adventure was pretty awesome (02..... could've really done without the pointless Demon Corps, but I thought Oikawa was alright). But yeah, the real world setting gave off a much grittier vibe that I very much appreciated. I think SparkGold put it best earlier.
everything in Tamers felt like the real world first and how Digimon affects it second. The setting is the real world, Digimon was an in-universe franchise, and Digimon were created by humans.
Though, that isn't to say that the Digital World portion faltered either. As another user stated earlier, the characters' trek through the Digital World (which was itself portrayed as a mostly barren landscape where survival is the #1 rule) presented a real sense of danger that wasn't quite as present in the other series, ESPECIALLY 02 (those kids literally just took trips to the Digital World for after school club activities.... and picnics). One that culminated in an actual character death, no less (for that matter, Digimon dying permanently adds some actual tension here, and the whole data-loading concept was a fantastic way to reimagine Digimon as carnivorous beings that still stick closely to their digital roots).

And if you ask me, the D-Reaper was a great concept for a villain. I think it's nice to have some common ground between the humans and Digimon by having a common foe that technically isn't either (though it is still a sort of digital lifeform, granted). It also fits all the more considering that Tamers focuses a lot more on shade-of-gray morality than its predecessors, and it especially emphasises the fact that Digimon are just living creatures and not inherently evil, an immersion that I honestly think gets a bit broken when the story culminates in a typically devil-themed Virus-type Digimon trying to take over the world or some shit (though I guess the Adventurers' Battle movie gave us plenty of that regardless). For that matter, I absolutely love the rather unorthodox choice to make the friggin' main character's Digimon a Virus (and somehow still remain one even when becoming a holy knight of all things), because I think it manages to take that point even further (as an aside, I find it pretty funny that Takato designed Guilmon shortly after using DarkTyranomon and MetalTyranomon in a card match.... I think it's safe to say the kid likes Virus dinos).

I mean... by the time ZeroTwo got going there was nothing that I found particularly surprising or innovative in the Arcs. We had Dark Ring Digimon, then Dark Spiral Digimon, then Control Spire Digimon, then multi Control Spire Digimon... not to mention the "we can't kill real Digimon" nonsense (Tamers put a bullet in that one quick). And the round robin of predictable digivolution cycles, coupled with a Monster of the Week was also tiresome, "Ok. This has to be the one for Hawkmon to get his second Armor".
Also a good point. I was honestly stunned that the goggle boy's dinosaur was actually the LAST one to evolve (at least to the Adult level). For that matter, the entire beginning portion of the series knew to took its time and actually DIDN'T jump right into having everyone's Digimon evolve each consecutive week. Despite having only three main human characters and their Digimon, it took all the way until episode EIGHT for the last one of them to evolve. Hell, the very first episode was ALL about just establishing the setting (Renamon vs. Lynxmon can barely count as a monster of the week, nor DarkTyranomon vs. Maildramon for that matter.... the first episode had TWO battles and I'd still hesitate to call it action-oriented). And there was no shortage of episodes like it, whole episodes without an evolution or Card Slash sequence to speak of, but focused on everything else. I like that, gives the story more of a grounding and a LOT less of a sense of being a glorified toy commercial (and this is even despite the early episodes being such a blatant billboard for the card game).

On another note, because they actually took time before evolving, it actually had the benefit of giving the base Child forms a moment to shine (to the point that "Ko You Setsu!" has become one of my favorite attack cries). In Adventure, everyone had the fight against Kuwagamon and..... that was about it. 02 probably had it the worst. The Child forms barely have any battle sequence to speak of, they just went straight to Armor evolving the second they appeared. Without looking at outside media, you probably wouldn't even know what their attacks are called if they didn't randomly use them for something as mundane as constructing a raft (or whatever, it's been a while). Oh look, Betamon finally appeared in the anime! ......it's just there to turn into Seadramon. Joy.

Last edited:

Sarabande__

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

There were other forums ;). The original Net Ocean pre-dated WTW by a bit at that time, and was largely general discussion, toys, RP, and fanfic based.

But you're still probably mostly right. I am likely amalgamated the early feeling of sites like jpwong's, and the IRC chat community.

I think the main problem with tamers was the fact that anyone who wanted to become a tamer became one it was almost like they just said fuck it you can be a tamer and you and you and you.
Except in the Adventure-verse it's the same. All you needed was to have 'seen' a Digimon, and poof, you get a Partner. The Heighten View Terrace event for the original kids, or Diaboromon's Cyber attack for the ZeroTwo kids. I mean, the entire 02 finale kind of demonstrated how not-special being a Digi-Destined was. Not much 'destiny' there either.
I hated 02 the most because the characters sucked. Davis was ok and little Cody but the rest I couldn't stand to be honest. I have also never really liked tk.

Da_Duke2000

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't think they really knew what to do with TK. He had to 'grow up' from the cry-baby, but he did most of that during Adventure already. I remember him being pretty generic in that season, and I'm really struggling to remember a single moment of personal growth from him, or major obstacle he had to overcome during ZeroTwo. Could just be my memory though.

Quinlan58

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't think they really knew what to do with TK. He had to 'grow up' from the cry-baby, but he did most of that during Adventure already. I remember him being pretty generic in that season, and I'm really struggling to remember a single moment of personal growth from him, or major obstacle he had to overcome during ZeroTwo. Could just be my memory though.
Takeru's mostly there as support for other characters. He's there to be the only one of the group who believes in Daisuke, he's there to confront Hikari on her issues, even his big "anti-darkness" moments are ultimately about how Ken and Iori react to that. At the same time, he's never the one who helps the others with their issues, so he never tells Daisuke he believes in him, he's not the one who helps Hikari in the end, he never meaningfully interacts with Ken again except for some extremely low-key support, and Iori grows to understand him by himself. As for Miyako... did he ever interact with Miyako?

It's a weird writing choice, to say the least. You could effectively write him out and not much would change.

Mon-Ohma

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Tentomon > every other main character's Digimon
That's better. : P

In my honest opinion, I thought Tamers was okay for what it was. However I do find it gets very tiresomely over-hyped (much like V-Tamer) at times. Particularly in how 'dark and edgy' it apparently was.

I personally felt it dragged a lot in the middle when the Devas came in. Where it turned into a 'giant mon of the day' format (Konaka clearly wanting to channel his inner Evangelion fanboy).
This is followed by another plodding arc, where the cast get repeatedly separated and wander round a rather dull version of the Digital World. Oh yeah, and Ryo randomly turns up like some glorified self-insert fanchar.
The plot doesn't really kick off properly until the Beelzemon/Gallantmon fight. Before which we have to go through Leomon's Sean Bean routine, and Skullgreymon MKII.

As for the D-Reaper. While it provided some interesting and wild designs, the fact it was basically just a giant blob of jell-o with no real personality, made for a rather uninteresting final enemy.
I remember way back during the original run, I was expecting Reapermon (I didn't know at the time it was Gokumon in Japan) to be connected to it in some manner...That was another disappointment...

Controversially, I don't care much for Renamon. For me her design was too unappealingly unorthodox for a Rookie, and smacked heavily of furry-bait. I also found Rika's 'tough girl' routine rather forced in general.
I probably would have forgiven Kazu and Kenta's pointless comic-relief addition, if we at least got Hi-Andromon out of it. He could easily have replaced Justimon's role.
Additionally, the Digi-Modify gimmick looks really lackluster after you've watched Kamen Rider Ryuki. : P

Ultimately for me, most of the better content in Tamers actually happened in the first thirteen or so episodes. And while I'd easily take it over the likes of Data Sqaud (and it's punch the powerful-city-leveling-monster routine), I do think some of that shows concepts would have provided better direction in it's later half.

Last edited:

Quinlan58

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I do agree with the notion that Tamers is overhyped, or rather praised for things it doesn't do. Like, it doesn't really touch darker themes than most of the other series do, regardless of how well each handled it. It goes with a more sci-fi aesthetic than Adventure did, but that doesn't make it more realistic (at its core it's still just "magic", only with more scientific-sounding terms around it). A lot of people describe it as a "deconstruction", which is just plain wrong because... it's not. At all. Not one of Adventure, not one of Digimon in general, not one of the genre.

Oh, and just to adress something I read it on Tumblr, no, Impmon's arc is great but it's not even in the same league as Zuko's. Maybe in the one directly below it, though.

But, having said that, it does give us the best tamer-digimon relationships this side of V-Tamer. It does built a very cohesive and imaginative world for the Digimon that directly impacts their characterization. It does have a very well structured plot (even if it loses some steam during the Devas arc) and character arcs. It does give us excellent characterization for all of its leads and most of its secondary characters. It makes sure to show that even the adults without digimon can meaningfully contribute to the fight, and for that matter Yamaki is somewhat underrated as another fantastic antagonist-to-hero character (pity he is overshadowed by Impmon). It has some of the best, most emotional moments in the franchise, like Beelzebumon trying to save Juri or Takato and Guilmon first fusing into Dukemon. It also has some quiet moments that just leave me in awe, like Ruki and Renamon resting under a tree in the Digital World, enjoying the amazing world they've suddenly found themselves in and their newfound closeness.

So yeah, it's overhyped. But so is Citizen Kane, the Beatles and Watchmen, and all of those are still fantastic. And so is Tamers.